Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Melth posted:

The enemy turn reinforcements are pretty much the only 'hard' thing about FE6 imo. Well that and the 90% chance of accidentally not doing one thing right at some point in the game and therefore not getting the last 5 chapters the first time you play. With no warning. Or explanation.

I haven't played through FE6; what's the one thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sorites posted:

I always hated that one. Not because it's exploitative, but because it isn't exploitative enough.

Passing an item was a free action, taking zero time. So if you passed an item even from one person to another, the item was moving at infinite speed: A distance, divided by zero time.

You could do the railgun with two people; there was no need for a lineup.

It wouldn't be zero time, it would be one round (6 seconds) because passing an item is a move action. Just dropping it is free. You need the lineup to move it as far as possible in six seconds, or that was the rationale. In older games a round was a minute and even an action that didn't take your turn could take a second or two.

Edit: I guess dropping it into an adjacent square is a free action but then they have to pick it up.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Melth posted:

Free action or move action to pass, a dropped item is stated to fall flat in your square or an adjacent one. So it doesn't matter whether you accelerate the object to superluminal speeds, it instantly stops and lands flat rather than being launched.

A more useful RAW joke exploit might be to 'drop' an item straight up to the top of an adjacent wall.

If you want to joke about things moving at absurd speeds, consider that free action falling or dropping means you or the object hits the ground at infinite velocity and then immediately accelerates to 0. I don't really find such things terribly funny to be honest though.

I don't either. It's dumb as hell.

I appreciate your dedication to actually trying a new strategy after a random crit rather than just doing the same thing again and hoping there's no crit this time.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 25, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fionordequester posted:

Anyone else feel the same way I do?

Not really. If the outcome is that predetermined, you don't need to make me go through the motions. Especially in a game like Fire Emblem, where if people don't realize permadeath is off the majority of people will start resetting when they lose a big chunk of their forces. And if they did know permadeath is off, why do much at all? Just wait, let them kill you and get it over with; it won't change anything. You could show this to me, and it would change nothing from doing it myself.

You'd have to put some kind of thing to do while getting the poo poo beaten out of you that you can succeed at to make it interesting. Probably something other than gathering loot, which would just seem weird (we were getting beaten up so hard that we took a break to grab some cash), but maybe the ability to kill a boss that might ordinarily show up later and have them replaced by someone else, who has something interesting to steal or different story information to share.

Even then, I'm not sure it would be necessary, or ultimately add that much.

edit: vvvvvv that, absolutely.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 2, 2015

• Locked thread