Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I remember beating Hector mode (but forget if I ever got around to Hector Hard mode) and looking at the ranks at the end and wondering what they actually were influenced by in some cases. This is one of my favorite GBA games so it's nice to see some of the more in-depth stuff I never figured out explained!

e: Also I've pretty much always had one star in speed/turns taken. Gotta get those supports!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Oh and apparently he died once? I'm... not at all sure when that happened. Possibly when I was fooling around trying to improve my screen caps before doing my real run of chapter 4.

That's another thing I never figured out. What does "L" mean? That he died and at some point you reloaded the game? And what was a win considered?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 17, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Melth posted:

I believe that is correct, an L means that the character died and you restarted. A W means the character killed an enemy.

I have to admit, I'm surprise it took into account how many times I reset the game then. Cool!

Also it's kind of fun seeing how things shape up for you and comparing with my games. Sain was one of my heavy hitters too, but I also routinely used Serra and Erk, and Lyn was always Queen poo poo of the Universe for me. Of course I never tried for max rank. Will got phased out by the Sniper later on though. You know who (and she probably won't matter).

quote:

Let's assume for the moment that you used her incredibly heavily in Lyn's story and got her to level 5. She joins on chapter 12 in Hector mode.

You will not believe how much I grind the poo poo out of my medics. I never really cared about Priscilla though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 17, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Right, that's what I meant. It's just funny seeing how certain characters stack up to a max rank run. I never even considered the idea!

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, and here I am trying to remember if I ever actually found Geitz, and remembering thinking "axes are poo poo" in my runs, mostly favoring mages and lances and invincible generals. That's really clever!

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

There isnít much to him other than loudly boasting about his combat skill and laughing uproariously at his boasts about his combat skill. His reason for joining your group is stupid, his reason for doing pretty much everything else is stupid, he apparently is so dumb that he wanders into the wrong country every time he tries to travel anywhere, and he more or less pops up for no reason and hijacks the spotlight as often as he can. Iím not really fond of him.

Wallace is great for all these reasons. :colbert:

e: Also I forgot just how much more I liked the GBA's sprite art than the 3d models in Awakening.

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have never ever gotten Eliwood to be a useful unit. In fact, I've only once been able to attack the final boss with him and only to finish it off. He'd get torched if he tried otherwise. Hector and Lyn always became gigantic powerhouses though. That's luck for you!

quote:

Seriously, can someone explain what knights are even doing in their criticals? Which way is he facing? Why is he standing like that? What the heck happened to his head? Iíve looked through it frame by frame and it never makes sense to me.

He's spinning his lance above and in front of him, facing to the right, then pulling it back behind him while still spinning it, then thrusting it forward. Basically showboating.

quote:

I mostly reference the other GBA titles because they have a lot in common with this one. Of course, Awakening is in many respects like a GBA title, but I hate Awakening more than anything that isn't Thus Spake Zarathustra so I don't like to talk about it.

Awakening owns except the 3d models. :colbert:

What's your beef with Thus Spoke Zarathustra though?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 20, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought you were talking about the song honestly. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

So supports aside, I'm inclined to say that Erk is superior to Priscilla even if you ignore the fact that she's borderline impossible to use on a ranked run and that he can be trained up on Lyn's story if you wanted. It's admittedly pretty close though.

Since you mentioned them, how much do support bonuses end up mattering in a max-rank run of HHM, if at all?

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Onmi posted:

You know? I never really thought much about Ephidel despite him basically being the 'Primary Antagonist' for the mid-game, But dear god he really is the stupidest motherfucker and this game is only continuing because of the good grace of his stupidity.

Yeah, I thought Melth was overexaggerating but the further we go along it seems like he's in his position entirely because of nepotism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Onmi posted:

That's a pretty good analysis, I always disliked the Fang, mostly because the majority of them bore me to tears, partially because everyone fellates them endlessly, which now that I think about it, they do it to Ephidel too...

Maybe they're assassins in the same way Assassins in Assassin's Creed are.

e: Oh god a whole new page

e: I assume they just KO the pirates too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 25, 2015

• Locked thread