Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Dire Wombat posted:

Archers are already decent on FE12 lunatic because enemies are so strong that you can't counterkill six a turn without dying. Also because anyone can reclass to Sniper and get good stats and C Bows right away. Basically, if enemies are tough enough to be individually threatening, there's a niche for 2-range attackers. Of course Awakening also has a Lunatic difficulty, but Archers suck in that one because magic users are just better and readily available. FE12 balanced mages by giving most of them very poor bases compared to Palla or Sirius as Snipers, so we're back to bow users needing better stats.

I sort of disagree, on the basis that just because Virion kind of sucks doesn't mean that archers are hopeless. Bows are nifty because enemy pegasus knights WILL die to one, while being a bitch to kill with wind magic. Virion actually surprised me (well, the bows did) with that utility on some of the early levels. Hell, the stronger ones will just kill a wyvern anyways. One of my favourite things to do on a no-grind Lunatic run is to archer up Chrom. He can bow-knight on promotion to regain swords after, and it gives you a non-lovely archer earlier than you'd otherwise get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Archers in Awakening are utterly worthless unless you buy and play Apotheosis.

You're listing an endgame map which expects you to have basically ground-out and tinkered an army of gods as the only example for archers being useful in Awakening?

If you do all the extra leveling that Awakening gives you, then yes, archers are worthless since you can kill everything with javelins/handaxes/spells at that point. But then you're not really playing the game at that stage since there's literally no thinking being done there.

To actually see differentiation in the weapons/classes, you have to look at the view of scarcity. I do Lunatic runs without any of the outrealms crap, no random husk battles, and only doing the paralogues that automatically unlock or that I unlock myself via the children system. And in those runs, I have done it without bow usage and with, and the one without is a LOT harder due to the fact that enemy pegasus/promoted versions stand a good chance of doubling your dudes, or avoiding being doubled at the very least. But they usually get one-shot by the proper bow.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Actually, whether or not you grind is actually really important, because pegasus knights become a BITCH when you're not grinding. As stated before, they usually become fast enough to avoid being doubled by a lot of your units, so one-shotting them with a bow is both valuable and important. Also, dark fliers tend to have spells a lot, so yes you can set up counterkills with bows on them on enemy phase.

Besides, even if you completely ignore that point, there's Paralogue 17: Threat of Silence where none of the enemies attack you on enemy phase and they're all fliers. Try to tell me bows are worthless there.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Archers in Awakening are utterly worthless unless you buy and play Apotheosis.

If you're going to make a hilariously hyperbolic statement like that, then that's what I'll think your viewpoint is. It's also not uncommon to see people make sweeping statements like that about bows, and in most of the other games they'd be right (FE5, 6, 7, 8, 9). I just didn't agree with that in regards to Awakening. You retracted it in your last comment though, so whatever.

Yes, I'm aware that Dark Fliers will fly into your face and attack bow users in melee like any mage will. That's when you stand at their max movement/attack range so they have to attack from 2 squares. And yes, that's not always possible, but it's a tactical option that one-shots them, so never using it at all is dumb.

Paralogue 17 is admittedly a map where differing approaches vastly dictate what ends up being useful. I make semi-porous walls, where I block them off but still technically leave a path to Tiki. It buys time and they don't kill people because usually at that stage, most of my dudes aren't durable enough to survive a mass flier assault (again the no-grinding viewpoint in play there). Then I load my people down with Beast Killers, Wyrmslayers, bows, and wind magic so that they can all one-round or shot the fliers to keep it from being overwhelming.

I don't allow myself to buy Nosferatu in my runs, I did that once and stopped playing that run because it trivialized too many maps in the same way and made it boring.

I'll agree, the native bow users are terrible. If you have reasons to use bows in the first place, you'll find space to respec someone to use them. I already stated my reasons for using bows in Awakening so I'm not going to repeat myself.

Edit: Enemies don't attack you at all in Paralogue 17 as long as they can technically make a path to her, even if it'll take like 4 turns to do so to make an entire loop around your dudes.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 12, 2015

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I find it hilarious to have a side-by-side of Louise and Pent, because it just loving empathizes how bad the gap between the two prepromos is. Not only is it sage vs sniper, but Louise doesn't have ANY stats that are better than her husband's.

Granted, due to how useful Sage can be and the starting A in staves, I honestly think Pent would still be fully usable if they outright swapped stats, which doesn't help the power comparison here.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I always remembered liking Sonia for whatever reason, but it is good to get a reminder as to how her character is. Playing through the game, I remember that she was really the only villian I liked, one main part because she gets a lot of screentime not hidden behind conditions to do her thing. Ephidel just did whatever the plot mandated necessary to keep dropping breadcrumbs, and Nergal is really boring without any of the additional backstory you see in the extra missions.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The Lord of the Rings: Third Age seems like it could be interesting, though Majesty is something I've never heard of either, so eh.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Interesting that Fiora and Kent are probably well above their strength average but well below their speed average. I guess if you're careful it makes it easier to weaken enemies for your other units to level up.

I don't agree with your assessment of Limstella. I wouldn't call her a "consummate professional" or think she would do something as petty as to rub it in to Sonia that she isn't perfect as Limstella is largely emotionless. She's just wandering around sucking up any quintessence around the battlefield and checking to see if Sonia took anyone with her when she fell.

Also, did you skip the scene where Sonia is weakened by Brendan Reed? He got in a shot before he fell, and if you didn't recruit Jaffar he actually kills her in this scene.

Actually yeah, the Limstella is just looking for quintessence explanation makes a lot of sense. This was a major battle, expecting to find some isn't out of the question.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This is where the story completely lost me when I played this myself. I pretty much figured that the dragon was Ninian, and the game deciding to yank control of the text scrolling away from me put me on suspicions that 'big heavy plot development thangs' are happening. Which is unbelievably pretentious to remove control from the player. The scroll is so hideously slow that I just put the GBA down, let it run, and did something else. I don't need to read the villain brag that the heroes are idiots, I already knew that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It amuses me a great deal that your Raven has better defense than Sain.

• Locked thread