Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Geitz is better in a normal run anyway, unless you took the time to grind Wallace in LHM before promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sain either turns out like this or complete garbage for me, there is no middle ground.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The sprite work has always been better than the 3D stuff, it's such a bummer they stopped doing it. At least in Awakening they finally got the animations down, but the designs were pretty bad for the models.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Promoting either Sain or Kent instead of Wallace is more than enough to break the difficulty curve for a while even when they aren't really on the ball. Doesn't hurt that Sain here is already better than Marcus in every stat but res, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Man, I disagree with almost all of your character assessments. I know ranked runs are different than a regular one where you can take your time, but still.

Also anyone that uses the term "Failiwood" to describe Eliwood should be thrown in some kind of joke prison.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I will agree that Lyn is cool. Shame they screw her on promotion with a lame special weapon and bows.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Eliwood's promoted class has almost exactly the same stat caps as a Paladin. There are two differences, strength (Eliwood gets 27, Paladin gets 25) and defense (23 to 25). Eliwood will not hit any stat cap on average at 20/20. Sain will ram into strength, Kent will hit skill and speed, Lowen and Marcus won't hit anything. While Sain and Kent are better at certain things, Eliwood will be statistically better across the board compared to all of your other horse units assuming everyone is on average and level capped. Eliwood's biggest problems are that A) he does not start with a horse, B) he does not get lances until promotion, and C) he does not promote until the end game. Eliwood being better than any of the Cavaliers/Paladins is super late game talk that does not factor into most of the game. It's more a technicality than something that really factors into the game, during regular gameplay he'll be overshadowed by your other, better ground units. Doesn't help that he gets the worst of the three lord weapons.

edit: oh yeah, and Paladins get axes as well. Complete weapon triangle coverage is quite nice and something Eliwood cannot claim to have.

edit 2: out of curiosity, I looked up Ephraim from FE8's stat caps and they're also almost identical. The only difference is that Eliwood gets two extra res.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 20, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I always do a bit better with Eliwood when I focus on lances over swords. I don't think you need an S Rank to wield his ultimate weapon, anyway.

You don't need any weapon ranks for preferred weapons. He could have an E rank in swords and still use it. Not like you would either way, it's too heavy for him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HHM is hard for the vast majority of players, generally speaking people that are really good at it have played it several times.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honestly, I don't think FE7 is easy in comparison to FE6. I think a lot of it comes down to what you play first, I had a far easier time in FE6 hard mode than I did the first time I played HHM. The enemy turn reinforcements are more annoying than anything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Overwatch makes no sense in a predominantly melee focused game. At most you would give it to bow and magic units, but that's still not great.

Also, yes, FE6 enemy turn reinforcements are bad and it's kind of a poorly designed game in a lot of ways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sorites posted:

If I'm standing still in a field doing nothing, holding an axe, and an enemy runs right past me, you have to assume I'll do something.

One range overwatch is a dumb idea.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

Manatee, just a question. You ever played D&D or a tabletop RPG like that? because "Range 1 Overwatch" has been a thing in existence for a while now.

I haven't, but in Fire Emblem the entire point of the player and enemy phase is to give one team the first hit. Let's ignore for a second the fact that you'd have to pass within one square of something to even set it off (and why would you or the AI ever do that?), making it only feasible in a narrow hallway or against the first person that attacks you. If every one of your units can attack first on both phases, that's just bad design for a Fire Emblem game. The only unit that might get something out of this that wouldn't make the game worse is the archer, as they're kind of screwed on enemy phase as it is. But only if it's not a choice between attacking and overwatching, if it is then it becomes incredibly niche in its use.

I'm not saying that it can't work in anything, but I am saying that it's a bad idea for this series. I'll let that be my final word on this so I'm not derailing the thread.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 21, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Priscilla is the second best anima mage in the game, statistically speaking. Nino beats her out (Erk is in last, followed by Pent if you're curious. I'm not counting Athos). In fact, she might actually be the best offensive caster on average unless you grind out Nino due to having anima, a horse, and being recruited so early. Nino and Serra are the only ones that can claim to be as good a dodge tank and Prissy falls in the middle on defense (though every mage's defense is garbage, most will be around 10-12 once capped out). Shame she's stuck on healing duty until promotion.

Incidentally, Erk will have the lowest magic of any caster in the game at 20/20 on average.

edit: oh, right. I forgot Renault. Erk will usually have 21 magic at 20/20. Renault will have approximately 14. :v:

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 22, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Melth posted:

So supports aside, I'm inclined to say that Erk is superior to Priscilla even if you ignore the fact that she's borderline impossible to use on a ranked run and that he can be trained up on Lyn's story if you wanted. It's admittedly pretty close though.

I brought up his magic because it amused me (also, incidentally, you said that Prissy would have far more magic than Sera when they actually tie). She's better than Erk as a dodge tank and that is what is important. She'll have four less speed but literally twice as much luck (30 compared to about 15), which is her real advantage. Except for the horse, obviously. She'll have two less defense, which is one dragon shield, and her health can be fixed in a single angelic robe. Erk, on the other hand, would require seven goddess icons to compare. She also has much more res. You're focusing too much on defense when none of the mages have any in the first place; taking hits is just not what they're there for. You can have her charge ahead as much as Erk because he doesn't have such an edge defensively that he's in any position to take hits that she wouldn't, only he will be more likely to actually take them. And it's harder to move him away in a pinch..

Maybe neither of the healers are worth it in a ranked run, but I do think you give some units far too little credit.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I generally found that in the GBA games defense honestly doesn't matter after a while since the way True Hit and the Dodge formula work out turn mages, myrmidons an other squishes into perma dodge tanks that can never get hit. I'm guessing enemies in Hard mode have quite a bit more skill though

Nah it's still true there. Dodge tanks are amazing in FE7.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lotish posted:

I don't think I ever saw the map you re-recruit Wallace on personally.

I've seen it a few times, but there's not much reason to go for it over fighting Linus at the port.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's still not a funny joke, dude. Just let it go.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you hate fog of war then you'll love chapter 19xx. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Eliwood should have a horse and lances because he is basically a cavalier anyway. A bow lord would be awful because archers are awful. But really, Hector is one of the very few lords that do not specialize in swords. I think Micaiah is the only lord in the series that has no access to swords at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ironically in the last Fire Emblem thing IntSys has done, the Apotheosis DLC for Awakening, has seen archers become the most powerful class available to you. It's really all down to design and proves that they can be good if the game allows for it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Apotheosis is really well designed, though. Except for the timed bits. I hated timed stuff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You forgot Geitz.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Athos has an S rank in dark magic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

no thracia 776 every man left behind

nothing like losing every character going into 4x

Imagine how funny it would be if they did that though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Worth it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Not with that speed he isn't. Dodge tanks are a thing in Fire Emblem, and that Sain makes a pretty good one. 26 HP and 11 defense isn't even that squishy, he could take two hits easy and survive.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, I don't think the rating system was very well designed. It's cool to see how people can do max rank runs, but I don't particularly miss rankings in the series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Heath is pretty great and I use him almost every run, but man are Isadora and Rath a bummer. Rath can be fine but unless you grind in Lyn mode he'll start at a low level (they should really give him back to you a few chapters earlier than this), and Isadora is the worst mounted unit in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What they replaced it with in FE9 was even worse, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty much every myrmidon has lower con than other units on the ground. That's their whole thing, they're fast but weak. Plus they only ever get swords so they don't really need a lot of con anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Only one myrmidon has 8 con, and that's Joshua in FE8. Rutger in FE6 has 7, everyone else is 5-6.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I feel like weapon weight isn't the right solution to "every weapon feels the same". A better answer would be to diversify the weapons more. For example, leave the brave sword alone but exchange the brave axe for an axe that lowers the attacked unit's defense by 5, and the brave lance for a lance that lets your counterattack hit before the enemies attack.

That just makes the brave sword even better by comparison in exchange for making the other ones worse. Two hits is better than a slightly better single hit, and Vantage on a weapon is interesting but still not comparable to the sheer damage brave weapons do right now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think the point is to change brave weapons specifically. I also don't think they really need it, though the availability of them in Awakening does present a bit of a balance problem compared to earlier games where you'd get like one of each.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Against a target you can't one-round with a brave sword the axe might pull ahead, as the enemies defense would be lowered for your allies attacks, too. Not to mention the other stats of the weapon could make up for having a lesser special effect.

Regardless, the effects don't really matter, they were examples.

Except the axe wouldn't pull ahead unless it is capable of dealing more damage in a single hit than the sword can in two. The difference is even greater if you're fast enough to double because a brave weapon would be hitting four times compared to the axe's two. It's a strict downgrade.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Good idea. They could release it as a DLC for Awakening, maybe. Give it a big, dumb name. Apotheosis, perhaps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Almost all female characters in the GBA games are classes like myrmidon, cleric, pegasus knight, and archer/nomad in the first place. It's very rare for them to be a more traditionally beefy class. I can think of four: Echidna in FE6, Vaida and Isadora in FE7, and Amelia in FE8. I guess you might count Sophia and Niime in FE6, since they account for nearly all of the female druids across all of the GBA games combined and druids are technically the tank of the magic classes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I actually did think of Wendy, but I thought she was in a different game. Miledy completely slipped my mind, though. Eirika is functionally a swordmaster that trades the crit chance for a horse, or at least that's how I think of her.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I find it kind of odd that you choose to spoiler a guy that has already been mentioned in the thread, let alone the fact that you've gone into deeper plot spoilers in the LP already.

edit: you also referred to Fiora as Priscilla once, and called Heath a girl. You also called him Bowie once, but maybe that's a joke. :v:

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 11, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I figured it was something like that, I just couldn't think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think Hector needs a nerf in the first place. I think nerfs are tackling a problem in the wrong way in this case, if anything the other axe units need a buff to keep up with Hector and Dart.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Lyn doesn't really need a con boost, but if she got one she'd be able to use Killer weapons much more effectively.

She needs the con if she wants to ever use the Sol Katti. Though honestly, the best thing you could do for Lyn is to swap out her getting bows for the swordmaster crit boost. That fixes just about everything but her defense being low.

• Locked thread