Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Except she'd still be an awful bow user because of how low her bow rank starts. Giving her a horse would make her better, but it wouldn't make using her bow any more viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Going back to the Radiant games, the Doublebow was a 1-2 range bow if I'm remembering right. And obviously the longbow has always been 2-3 range, even discounting tier 3 shenanigans.

Also I think there were crossbows at some point in the series that had 1-2 range, but fixed damage? I may be confusing this series with something else though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Overwatch is a bad idea for Fire Emblem.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Force skills to be locked to certain classes and the gate Galeforce behind archer. Hell, if you really want them to be the best at player phase then you can also give them the +15% crit rate of swordmaster/berserker and give archers/snipers a higher strength cap. For real though, I think that the problem with archers is the design philosophy of Fire Emblem maps. It's been proven that they can be powerful under the right circumstances, but those are very rare. You'd need to deemphasize enemy phase first and foremost.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Archers in Awakening are utterly worthless unless you buy and play Apotheosis.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yes, I am listing the post game map you'll never see unless you grind a long time as the singular example of archers being good in Awakening. This is because it is, on fact, the only point in FE13 where archers are good. This is due to the way that DLC is designed compared to the rest of the game, you won't be seeing enemy phase attacks much if you're playing it correctly. Whether you grind or not has nothing to do with it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bows are worthless there because you have mages which can do their job but much, much better. Wind magic is effective against flying units, plus it can attack at 1-2 range, plus they can heal, plus they can use different tomes for different situations. Or you could buy the 1-2 range melee weapons for your other units, as they are better for more than killing one flying unit per turn. The freedom to buy as many ranged melee weapons is pretty damning for the bow classes. And I'm like 99% sure that enemies will attack you on enemy phase, they just prioritize Tiki. If you're in the way then they will attack. Oh, and you can still use other effective weapons on them to do more damage off of your higher strength units.

It's not like archers are worthless or anything. They're 100% usable. But they are also inferior to every other option most of the time, which is the point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Promoting early is a big deal, but if your unit has hit his or her growths alright you won't be punished for it much. Promoting at 15 won't ruin Sain or anything, and it's not like you're gonna use that Knight's Crest on anything else. With those stats he'll still be a straight up better Marcus when you get him back. It really depends on what you want.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah it depends on what is more important to you. With those stats, Sain doesn't need to be promoted right now to be a good unit but it would give you a better crutch to lean on than Marcus. On the other hand, Florina's strength growth is pretty poor. Even if she's been hitting it in Lyn mode, you might want to give her that extra buffer to be certain she can do what you need her to do.

And another thing for promoting Sain is that you wouldn't be required to use promotion item on him after Lyn mode.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 13, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He's talking about the Paladin stats caps, not Sain's growths.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't necessarily agree that Paladins are worse than your average unit in the end game either, since most people won't be hitting the higher caps anyway. But that is his reasoning, as has been stated before in the thread. It is true that they will be left behind if, say, Heath or Dart hit their growths since they simply do not have as much room to grow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

For a balanced character they wouldn't matter, but for someone like Sain who's really all about the strength and nothing else, they hurt. He'll hit that 25 str cap around 20/8 or so and then he's relying on his crappier growths to stay relevant. He's still amazing as a rescue chainer, an enemy weakener or a pinch hitter, but he's not going to do the heavy lifting that Canas or Heath will be doing because the former has Luna and the latter has stats besides strength and flies.

25 is still more strength than most units average is the thing. And some of the units that get more are bad, like Dorcas. Caps aren't that important if you're not hitting them, but they do limit Paladins more than, say, a Berserker. The real problem with Paladins in FE7 is that only one of them is that good. Let's compare their closest competition, Eliwood. He has nearly identical caps, will not hit his one higher cap (strength at 27 compared to the 25 of Paladin) on average, promotes much later, and loses axes compared to Paladins. But his stats on the whole will be higher compared to the others, he's much better across the board. It has nothing to do with his caps, if we're looking at the classes objectively then Paladin is much better than Eliwood's promoted lord class. In practice, though, Eliwood is better at the end of the day because his growths are.

edit: oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Paladins have long since hit A rank with swords and lances by the time they've promoted. Compare that with Eliwood, who starts with E lances. And that sucks.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 13, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Also keep in mind that Falco Knights have a strength cap of 23, and two of them will almost never reach it. Vaida averages about 25 strength at level 20, which means Heath is the only flying unit that is actually stronger than Sain on average. They all share a flying weakness, so you have to be more careful with them than you do a Paladin, plus there are times when you really do want to use the terrain to your advantage. Flying units don't get those advantages.

And having full weapon triangle coverage is important for more than just using an axe against a guy with a spear. You also have the advantage of having access to every weapon in storage, which broadens what the unit can do with what you have on hand.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Also in regards to Eliwood, I thought he started with D rank Lances, much like Lyn starts with D rank bows?

You might be right, I'm not entirely sure. A D still isn't good, though. Especially as late in the game as they promote.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 13, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Melth posted:

The thing is, Strength isn't really that amazing. For most purposes, it actually does nothing beyond a fairly low threshhold of 20 or so. All you need is enough damage to 2-hit kill most things. More than that is useless because you'll never get enough to one-hit kill any serious enemy on HHM. Heck, as I've mentioned, being able to NOT kill enemies in one round when you want to can be amazingly useful. With the solid Mt of lances, Florina gets to the 2-hit kill threshold fairly quickly. Sain basically starts there, which is awesome and why he's way easier to use than Kent. But it means his strength growth from there (other than the 30-40% or so needed to keep up with enemy Def and HP) doesn't do a whole lot for him.

And flyers don't really have a weakness in this game. Bows deal only double damage, not triple, and they have low might and are wielded by the suckiest units in the game so they only do decent-high damage to pegasus knights. And bows have never been a serious threat to wyvern riders. Axe users are more of a problem... until you promote and get iron swords. Which is the kind of thing I was talking about earlier.

I don't really see any particular benefit to having access to "every weapon in storage" beyond being able to secure the decreasingly important weapon triangle more often. It's not like there are a whole lot of special abilities that are actually unique to one weapon type.
Let's see, there's wyrmslayers and magic attacks for swords. Magic attacks are rarely that useful since they use 1/2 of your Str, so you only profit by an amount equal to (Enemy def- enemy res - 1/2 own Str). That's rarely even positive. I guess there's the devil axe. And there's no slim axe. And... that's almost it for weapons with no counterparts in the other categories. With the exception of getting the Armorslayer really late, you get silver and super-effective weapons of most categories very early in the game, well before you really have much use for them.

Even an E in lances is sufficient. All game long Eliwood has been wishing he had javelins. Now he has them. And that plus 7 move is all he needs to take off like a rocket. Other than for staves, weapon rank typically matters were little.

I was talking about strength in particular because that is what was being talked about earlier, but Paladin's other stat caps are perfectly fine for what you'd expect of most units in the game. Paladin is a very good class, the problem is that most of the characters that can be one aren't that good usually. I dunno how Paladin being good on its own is even up for debate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

So far the only person in the group who is a better archer than her is Geitz, and that's not by much. She's fairly competent, just overshadowed by her husband who actually lives up to his hype.

I wonder if Geitz can dance or sing better than she can.

As far as the admittedly low standards for archers go, she's probably the worst in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This is more an argument of semantics than anything, really. Using a glitch in a single player game is still, by definition, cheating. To call it anything else is wrong. Whether or not cheating in a single player game matters is a completely different argument.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

weso12 posted:

While I know I should drop the conversation, especially because I'm literally going into semantics right now I feel should point out that by the dictionary definition, act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination, glitches (or even cheat codes) in a single player experience aren't really cheating.

While exploiting glitches is certainly gaining an advantage, I'd argue you can't ever be "unfair" in a single player experience and your not lying or deceiving anyone when using glitches, I while I understand that glitches match some peoples definition of cheating, saying that glitches in a single player game match the dictionary definition is sophistry.

You are doing exactly that, though. You're taking advantage of something the developers did not intend you to have, which is outside the rules of the game, to create an unfair advantage that others players in that situation would not have. Yeah, other people could use it to gain the same edge but I don't see how this is a different argument than saying you can use an aimbot in a shooter to beat someone that is also using one. It is going against the developer's design for the game, which is why they patch that poo poo out nowadays even when it's innocuous stuff that doesn't break anything. A glitch existing in the game is not the developers saying "go ahead, use this!" It's going against the difficulty curve of the game.

Also keep in mind that pretty much all single player games have achievements now, and a lot have leaderboards. There is a level of community to all games at this point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Money isn't impossible to come by in Awakening anyway, it's just tedious outside of the DLC. You could stack Despoil on every unit that can get it and go farming the random encounters. It'd take forever but you'd make money. If you're on Lunatic you'd be stuck with the legacy characters though, so it'd take longer.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You never have to grind money unless you want to forge stuff or buy brave poo poo in bulk. If you just buy a shitload of bronze and iron weapons you'll never need money, and you never need better than those anyway.

But if you do like to forge stuff, or buy a lot of expensive things, then you do need a lot more money than the game will give you through the story chapters. Especially early on when Anna might show up with a seal, you might just not have the funds to afford it. Though this is only true if you haven't unlocked bonus box rewards.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Melth posted:

What's wrong is secretly using an aimbot to beat someone who isn't using one.

This is what I was talking about when I said that.

quote:

Yeah, Frederick is horrible and using him extensively is probably the number 1 way to screw yourself on high difficulty no grinding Awakening. But don't even compare him to the original Jeigan. The original Jeigan was not good enough to be a Jeigan.

Fred isn't even optional in the highest difficulties, you absolutely need him for a few maps at least. He's poo poo by the time you reach the mid game, but until the time you get everyone promoted he's actually quite useful to have around due to his pair up bonuses. He's actually one of the best at the purpose of being a Jeigan, which is to make the early game easier for you since you can just park him in the back of a pair up with no weapon and make someone else a tiny god. Fred also has some selective use as a decent dad for some of the kids. He's just not a good unit in his own right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He is a good unit at the beginning in Lunatic and Lunatic+ because your other units just don't have the stats, even with Fred as a pair up partner, to survive without relying entirely on enemies missing very good hit odds. And that's not a strategy, that's pure luck. He will become the worst unit in the game late on, but as far as his actual purpose goes he is perfect. Like even if you grind and grind later on, Fred just cannot catch up because of his bases. But, again, the end game is not the only thing that matters. The parents are uniformly bad end game units anyway, barring the avatar.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 17, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Melth posted:

But what exactly are we arguing about at this point? I think we both agree that he's a necessary evil for a couple of chapters, is horrible as a unit thereafter, but makes a good stat booster for a while.

I just think you place too much emphasis on the late game and basically nothing on the early game. The beginning is by far the hardest part in every Fire Emblem game, so Fred being the best unit in the hardest chapters is kind of important.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

well really I think Melth is referring specifically to the ranked category, because there's a lot of layers of play, Casual, Ranked, Efficiency, LTC, 0% Growths...

Yes and no. Obviously the focus of the LP is how good units are in a ranked run but he makes allowances for certain units being good outside of those limits, like Farina and Dart. Oswin and Marcus, whom Fionordequester mentioned, do not get that same treatment. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to units. Though really when I said that I was specifically referring to Awakening and Fred, without whom Lunatic+ is potentially impossible without pure luck.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Those Afa's Drops seem to be agreeing with Erk. That's the best I've ever seen him do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked the guy with the mustache in Awakening. Cervantes or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I thought Lyon was a dull, generic cliche. Plot in Fire Emblem is never a strong point, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

lyon is more interesting as ephraim but he's not great either way

I dunno man, I don't think he'd do so well with a lance

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I regret nothing :frogc00l:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like this map a lot, though it can be kind of bullshit since you have three people that you have no control over to account for. Jaffar usually won't kill himself, but it is possible.

Kajeesus posted:

Nino can carry her weight as soon as she's promoted, which does not have to be at level 20. She can easily get to level 15+ by the end of this upcoming sidequest without sacrificing too much speed, and should be a sage going into the next chapter. That's for playthroughs on modes that aren't Hector Hard and at the breakneck speed you do things, though. :v:

That is still for HHM, Nino can easily hit 20 and promote in the next chapter. The game throws enough easy kills her way in the forms of a bunch of wyvern riders.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, it wasn't really a twist in Star Wars either. :v: I don't see any problem with Zephial being a good person here and then becoming the main antagonist of FE6, there's so much of a gap between the two games that anything could have happened.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What are you talking about, Athos never gives you a Luna tome.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think that every Fire Emblem plot is exactly what it says on the tin and there is no hidden depth to be found, which is why I usually gloss over the plot stuff. On the other hand, the writer's intent doesn't mean you can't find something there for yourself and if people want to go looking for a deeper meaning then that's cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It'll be put on the LP Archive once he's done with it anyway, assuming he submits it to Baldurk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Let's Play! is on the paywall rotation, I'm pretty sure. This thread might be visible come April.

It's a separate site; I'm not talking about archived threads on the forum.

http://lparchive.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

On the one hand, yes, they were definitely joking. On the other, they're still right. :colbert:

But nah it's not a big deal if you don't get Farina and Karla.

• Locked thread