Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its almost entirely why I was so happy they got rid of con affecting double attacking after FE8. It exists almost entirely as a stat to gently caress over female characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FPzero posted:

I actually like weight and disliked its removal from Awakening (I didn't play 11 or 12) because after a while it felt like it didn't matter what weapons I was using, everything was just always going to hit. Now, i didn't play on the very hard difficulties there so maybe you eventually stopped seeing straight 100s for hit rate. Having played the GBA games a fair bit, I think Weight has a place in the series, but IntSys just hasn't handled CON for certain units very well, i.e. the female characters. Also Guy. Myrmidons have a base 8 Con, Guy has 5. Why did they think it was a good idea to give him a -3 CON penalty?

Weight never had anything to do with hit rate.

Having 100% chance to hit is always an issue in late game Fire Emblem because the games are designed so that even if you gently caress up a lot and get ridiculously bad growths you can still pull your way through. FE7 isn't really any different, if Melth wasn't going for the fairly arbitrary requirements to S rank he could have loaded up Sain and Marcus and easily blitzed his way through every chapter and probably have them capped by now. Its an artifact of how important countering is in the game, and how one great unit will always outperform two good units.

If Awakening had a ranking system similar to FE7's, it'd probably be a lot harder to S rank on Lunatic than S ranking Hector Hard mode because without the DLC using most characters is a nightmare. But if you just pile everything onto a few strong, fast dudes and ignore most of your team you can clear everything pretty trivially in almost any Fire Emblem game. I'm pretty sure the only game this isn't true is FE5 where they have a fatigue system and some really funky mechanics. Also technically FE4 because maps are so big and you bring everyone anyways.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 11, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

While weight never did affect accuracy sometimes I wondered if it should because weapons with high weight also tend to have commensurately less accuracy. You could, hypothetically, just have a base accuracy for the to hit formula, and a weapon's weight affects how accurate it is because big heavy poo poo is clumsy to hit with. Then you could introduce bonus accuracy from having more Con/Build than necessary, but that starts to tread on Skill.

... and serves to gently caress over low con characters even more.

I mean its not enough now that they can't double anything, but now they can't even hit with a single attack? I guess if you value ~*realism*~ in your magic dragon games it makes sense, but it also means female characters get even more hilariously hosed over. Con is already a really binary enough/not enough switch that serves to punish almost exclusively the female half of the cast. Tanking their accuracy and giving more to the people already best off on top of that is a terrible idea from any sort of gameplay perspective.

I mean imagine if that was in effect in this most recent chapter. Isadora comes with poo poo stats, a sword she can't double with and also now can't even hit accurately with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

If the heavy weapons were already less accurate....no. It would really just be removing one item from a weapon's stats.

quote:

While weight never did affect accuracy sometimes I wondered if it should because weapons with high weight also tend to have commensurately less accuracy. You could, hypothetically, just have a base accuracy for the to hit formula, and a weapon's weight affects how accurate it is because big heavy poo poo is clumsy to hit with. Then you could introduce bonus accuracy from having more Con/Build than necessary, but that starts to tread on Skill.

Your argument was that people with more con get more accuracy. I'm not sure how that isn't screwing over people with less con even more?

Like that even makes situations where people are equal now, like Isadora and Sain both wielding an iron sword, and gives Sain an advantage in that too on top of being able to wield heavier weapons without penalty.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I mean, doing that wouldn't be hard. Just have fewer, but tougher, enemies per map and remove the ability to double attack.

Boom, suddenly player phase becomes a lot more important (as well as spreading out EXP) because people can't kill things alone without special anti-whatever weapons in a single round.

It also makes the game a lot harder, makes you more RNG vulnerable to bad growths and probably wouldn't go over so well. But its not a hard problem to solve, if you actually want to solve it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how you can "arena grind" with the fairly strict turn count requirements in a ranking run.

I also don't see how people are lumping in arena use with any of the other poo poo they're mentioning. Its a deliberately placed mechanic and completely intended by the developers. Its been a thing in many Fire Emblem games, especially FE4.

Just because it is really good and useful doesn't make it a 'glitch' or 'cheating' :psyduck:

Incidently, it is also why I don't understand people who bitch about infinitely repeatable battles in Awakening. Its a hell of a lot easier to grind in any game with an arena and no world map, and if you make one form of grinding 'off limits!!!' then why not just make the other one 'off limits' as well?

Even in FE8, which is the only game to actually have both, its easier to just arena grind than deal with the Tower of Valni bullshit or random encounters that give fuckall exp.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 16, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fedule posted:

Important detail about Arena Grinding: to just have a character sit and fight in the Arena turn after turn isn't exactly cheating but it's very risky. The enemies all scale and they quickly start becoming very dangerous. The Arena is rigged to always be dangerous.

The way you Arena Abuse is by exploiting a property of conditions that I am reasonably sure (though not certain) the developers did not foresee as exploitable; that they do not deteriorate when a unit is being rescued. There is a reason Nini's Grace only has 15 uses; because it would be broken as poo poo if you could just do that whenever you wanted, for many reasons but chief among which is that it would basically render Arenas as free EXP. As has been shown.

For all that I love Awakening - and I do love it a lot because for the most part it makes itself very likeable - I have got to agree that this go-wherever fight-whenever grind-whenever style of game just doesn't suit Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem is about management of very discrete resources; units, weapons, time (to an extent) and... enemies. Balance exists only because enough control is exerted over the amount of these resources that are available to the player over a run to leave a meaningful estimate of what should be expected at any given point, and careful planning - and RNG blessing - are only meaningful because you can (basically) quantify the advantages they lead to. I'm all for giving players options and I did think FE7 was a little stingy with regards to the availability of certain things but come on, man, Awakening lets you just buy Brave and Killer weapons whenever you want, with money you can farm whenever you want. To reference my last couple posts; completing FE7 feels like accomplishing something, but even playing Awakening by the rules eventually just starts feeling like cheating. Eventually, the only meaningful way of testing the player can basically only be balanced around an endgame party with wall-to-wall green numbers... and even then they managed to find a way to let people go beyond that.

That is only true if you buy the DLC. Money in Awakening is incredibly difficu lt to come by if you're trying to do random map grinding on Hard/Lunatic since Reeking Boxes are a huge net loss, you can only get three or four 'natural' encounters a day and you get, at most, like 2000 gold from each if you're incredibly lucky with a random drop and the shiny spots spit out expensive items instead of their myriad other drops.

In fact the only real economical way to grind money in Awakening without the Golden Gaffe is the soul-crushing method of having Chrom/Lucina solo map after map after map with the Falchion. I remember playing Awakening at release and running out of money in the middle of the game. poo poo was rough. And that was just grinding some supports to unlock some of the kid maps. At least in games with Arenas getting some extra gold is pretty easy.

I dunno, I just always feel like its weird when people are all 'FE7 is super well balanced and difficult as long as you don't boss grind/use the arena!' and 'Awakening showers you in money and experience if you use the money/experience DLCs so the balance is poo poo!' Like, no poo poo, if you don't use the easily available grinding spots in one and use the other one it'll be different and easier! Awakening just doesn't have any sort of grading system to make you make a bunch of unoptimal choices like in this run.

I mean, imagine Melth actually using all the resources at his disposal right now and even just promoting everyone he wanted to and using only his best units on every chapter. It'd be a hilariously easy bloodbath. As it is he's dragging around half a team of deadweight on every level, many times people he doesn't even want to attack, and he's still fulfilling all his optional objectives. (Incidentally, Melth, great play and good strategy/tactics all around)

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 17, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sorites posted:

When people talk about Awakening, they generally mean all of Awakening. Cherry-picking chapters to not count doesn't really get us anywhere.

Much like cherry-picking the arena to not count doesn't get us anywhere when talking about FE7? Or bosses on thrones that regenerate them?

And its paid, entirely optional, DLC I was talking about. Yet somehow that's more part of the game than mandatory levels with arenas, several of which are placed in a way to encourage you to use them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sorites posted:

And at least one game mode - arguably two - devolve into a virtual solo ('Frederick Emblem') without the DLCs. So it's much harder to justify calling them "a separate thing from Awakening" that doesn't factor into the discussion.

Doing that is really stupid because it only makes the game harder. Lunatic/Lunatic+ are not good difficulties, but there are a lot more viable characters than just Frederick (and in many ways he's really bad to give EXP to after the first few chapters due to horrific bases/mediocre growths) Chrom, the Avatar, Tharja, Anna, Libra, Panne, Olivia, Nowi, Lucina and Kellam are all more viable/better than Frederick after Chapter 5 or so. Without any DLC!

I mean, in relation to the rest of the cast, Frederick is probably the worst Jeigan since Jeigan. He turns out directly equivalent or worse than Seth, Titania, and FE7 Marcus in a game where the power curve is skewed a hell of a lot higher.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fatcat214 posted:

There's a reason they call Lunatic mode Fredrick Emblem

Also, he was more like Seth to me.

He has worse stats than Seth though. And in a game where enemy stats are way higher.

Like Seth is a character who is good enough to literally solo his game, no hyperbole. Fred falls off hard after the first few chapters as anything but the back of a pair-up unless you grind him a ton, and thanks to his high internal level that takes way more effort than grinding anyone else.

Seriously, he's a level 1 Great Knight with 12 Str, 12 Skil, 10 Spd, 14 Def, 3 Res and 28 HP

Compare him to Marcus here who, at level 1, has 15 Str, 15 Skil, 11 Spd, 10 Def, 8 Res and 31 HP. In a game where enemy stats are lower across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Alternatively, do it, but don't show off every support conversation because therein lies madness.

Like 90% of them are up on the Awakening wiki now. I think the only things missing are some of the father/child conversations... which are all barely different.

Just post the ones you actually go with in the LP and boom, you have 13 supports total to transcribe.

• Locked thread