Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The reason Priscilla says she isn't seasick is during normal Eliwood runs Guy talks rather than Priscilla and he will say he's seasick. A handful of the start of chapter conversations do this, where someone says something in one path, and the person in the other path says something related to the first, but different enough to be amusing as a call back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Sorites posted:

On another note...is *anyone* on your team not plus-offence minus-defence? Hell of a glass cannon crew you've got going there...

Since she's only gained two levels so far and both have been lackluster, Fiora! She's riding a little high on resistance and gained a nice defense point there. Fiora is usually more durable anyway so this isn't a huge surprise. Now if she would only gain a few more points of speed so she could use some heavier weapons to make up for her pitiful strength stat and growth.

Raven is also running well (for him) defensively with three +luck levels. A 35% growth is decent, but with Raven's starting two luck it is actually a pretty big sticking point, since him getting hit by an unlucky crit usually means he's dead or close to it with his otherwise lackluster defensive gains. With a decent luck chance his defense and resistance don't matter since he'll just dodge everything anyway and his mammoth hp total can make up for taking a hit or two in the process.

I'm sure others might also make the list (Lyn perhaps? Her defensive stats don't look amazing but with her bases those are actually very impressive) but that's all I can see off of a quick glance.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 28, 2015

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Lotish posted:

I too thought weapon weight was a reasonable balancing mechanic, but it tended to be handled poorly, as with all women seemingly getting unreasonably low values (Are there exceptions? I have FE8 open right now and Amelia has the highest for the ladies with 11 as a General, while Lute has 3 unpromoted; typical lady value seems to be 5).

There's an exception in this very game! Vaida rocks a 12 con, which is two higher than Heath when he promotes. Of course, this comes back to haunt her a bit since her rescue is a whopping 8, which is terrible for a mounty.

Con on mages in FE6 wasn't a big deal since books didn't have much weight to them. Sadly, this changes radically in FE7 and FE8, but the increased growths of units usually makes up for it.

I'm rather interested in what the OP thinks of Vaida since she's pretty good in HHM, but a similarly leveled Heath is usually far stronger. However, she's got RNG proof strength and defense, and since she starts with A rank in swords and lances, she can use some of the heavier weapons with little handicap and do just fine.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 11, 2015

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Isn't a 5% growth a +2 over all for a level 1 guy? Technically 1.9, but eh, close enough.

A 2 con boost to Eliwood is an enormous boost to his damage. That's mean he can use Steel weapons with only a small penalty. Lyn doesn't really need a con boost, but if she got one she'd be able to use Killer weapons much more effectively. I guess this would make Lyn a far, far better archer since she can use a handful of decent bows without losing 1/4 of her speed.

The strength growth boosts are a little high. I'd keep Lyn's growths the same, maybe a 5% boost to her strength and defense, but a bump to her starting stats might not be a bad idea. Eliwood is meant to be a little weak early, but he finishes strong. If anything I'd give him a little better speed growth and a better cap.

Edit: The more I look at it, just make Lyn into Eirika. Eirika is already "Lyn, but better" so if she was Eirika it'd be great. Now if only we can get Ephraim into Eliwood's shoes...

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 12, 2015

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think Hector needs a nerf in the first place.

She needs the con if she wants to ever use the Sol Katti. Though honestly, the best thing you could do for Lyn is to swap out her getting bows for the swordmaster crit boost. That fixes just about everything but her defense being low.

gently caress that Sol Katti. The other two get stat boosts, the Sol Katti is a crappier Wyrm Slayer.

I'd give her a horse to make her great post promotion. She'd be like Sue from FE6, only with an actual strength growth. Nomad Lord!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't think Paladin's lowish caps mean much since they have a horse and can use every relevant weapon type.

For a balanced character they wouldn't matter, but for someone like Sain who's really all about the strength and nothing else, they hurt. He'll hit that 25 str cap around 20/8 or so and then he's relying on his crappier growths to stay relevant. He's still amazing as a rescue chainer, an enemy weakener or a pinch hitter, but he's not going to do the heavy lifting that Canas or Heath will be doing because the former has Luna and the latter has stats besides strength and flies.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Sorites posted:

Some of it's also map design. There's this trend in Fire Emblem where early game maps, for whatever reason, emphasize mobility a bit more. You get more running battles or high-speed charges early on; late-game fights tend to be pitched battles in which you'll often move your army less distance than you could.

I reckon Melth cares less about that one for the purposes of the ranked run, what with turn limits. But in general.

In later fights you're dealing with absolutely massive armies of enemy units, so being able to withstand and shred a six pack of swordsman in a round can be more important than moving 7 spaces. Obviously, if you can do both than that's awesome, but more often than not the infantry units are the heavier hitters than the cavalry.

Also in regards to Eliwood, I thought he started with D rank Lances, much like Lyn starts with D rank bows?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
It is mentioned at the beginning of the chapter that Louise is the queen's cousin since both are Eturian nobles, presumably from the same house. Louise just married the better guy.

I'm a little surprised you gave Erk the Afa's drops and not Rath. Erk most certainly won't be around in the end game while Rath has a good chance to do so and was also very low leveled.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Cake Attack posted:

"Despite what you may think, I shoot much better than I dance or sing.”

which raises the question of just how bad she is at singing and dancing

So far the only person in the group who is a better archer than her is Geitz, and that's not by much. She's fairly competent, just overshadowed by her husband who actually lives up to his hype.

I wonder if Geitz can dance or sing better than she can.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Interesting that Fiora and Kent are probably well above their strength average but well below their speed average. I guess if you're careful it makes it easier to weaken enemies for your other units to level up.

I don't agree with your assessment of Limstella. I wouldn't call her a "consummate professional" or think she would do something as petty as to rub it in to Sonia that she isn't perfect as Limstella is largely emotionless. She's just wandering around sucking up any quintessence around the battlefield and checking to see if Sonia took anyone with her when she fell.

Also, did you skip the scene where Sonia is weakened by Brendan Reed? He got in a shot before he fell, and if you didn't recruit Jaffar he actually kills her in this scene.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Melth posted:

We know she isn't truly emotionless though- she just tries to be or thinks she should be. For example, before Victory or Death Nergal remarks that the chance to die for him seems to be what she wants, making it clear that she's capable of wanting things- not just mindlessly serving.

And when killed she comments “I am not human. This mind and body are constructs. Yes, as is this sorrow." So clearly she feels sorrow. She just dismisses it as not counting because she isn't human.

The "Just checking the battlefield" argument doesn't work because in that case there'd be no need to talk to Sonia. She's dying and of no further use- as Limstella flat out states. But rather than just walking around taking the quintessence, Limstella goes up to Sonia in particular and TELLS her that she's a morph and therefore has no essence to harvest. What's more, she refers to Sonia as a 'puppet', you know, exactly the same insult Sonia kept using on Limstella. And then she tells Sonia that she is now useless before leaving her to die. It's clearly a taunt.

So yes, she clearly has emotions, but she deliberately tries to be stoic and cold and professional, the better to serve Nergal.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. We've seen Limstella skulking around multiple battlefields of the Black Fangs harvesting, it isn't unreasonable to check the Morph you left in charge in case she can be fixed. She couldn't be, so I see it more as a statement from a machine to another along the lines of "you're defective, and we have no more use for you" rather than a taunt to someone breathing their last. If you see that as a taunt, that's fair, but I do not see that as being professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I think it depends on the translation you get of FE6, but Sophia does use those pauses in the copy I've played through. My brother and I first thought she just had asthma because she spoke in a manner very similar to a character on Malcolm in the Middle rather than anime shyness.

She's also an awkward unit to use and shows up at level 1 really late in the game after another person in her class shows up earlier at level 12. For this reason, a lot of people (rightfully so) don't like her.

• Locked thread