Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You know, the whole Funds rank is really, really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Melth posted:

Sorta. Most ranking categories are stupid in-character as it were. They Market to formulate strategies that are just terrible. Funds encourage her to not use items that should totally be used. Tactics encourages her to rush when, as a villager in a house on 13 just said, taking your time is generally the smart thing to do. XP encourages her to keep cycling bad, low level characters into the party instead of using ones who are actually good.

However, out-of-character, these ranking categories lead to a very interesting max ranking experience. So they're not really stupid at all.

No Funds is very different then Tactics and EXP.

Two of them provide encouragement, but Funds provides discouragement.

Finishing a stage quickly requires good tactics and forethought. "Take it slow" is good advice for beginners, yes, but more advanced player is encouraged to go faster by the Tactics Rank. You're rewarded for going fast with a good Tactics rank.

EXP is, again, an encouragement. Using a wide variety of characters produces more interesting gameplay. Again, you're rewarded for using a lot of characters with a good EXP rank.

Funds , on the other hand, isn't based off anything the player does. Rather, it's based off what the player is not doing. It punishes you for using tools the game gives you. You don't get a good Funds rank for smart or flexible play. You get it for not using the fun stuff and instead use nothing but iron weapons forever.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Silver Falcon posted:

I dunno, it would add some variety other than SWORDS EVERYWHERE.

Frankly getting a Lord that didn't use swords was already brave and scary new territory for the series.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You're confusing cause with effect.

The Lord isn't given a sword because early game is filled with axe users. The early game is filled with axe users because the Lord uses a sword.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The biggest problem with archers is that their stats suck because IS seems to think avoiding counters is way more powerful then it is.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lotish posted:

I never thought about it before, but in Sacred Stones (not sure about other entries in the series) I just noticed iron and steel bows are twice the price of axes of the same varieties. They're the most expensive weapon type to start. WTH?
Hahahah you're right.

Let's compare an Iron Bow to the other ranged weapons.

An Iron Bow costs 540 gold for 45 uses.

A Hand Axe 300 for 20 uses.

A Javelin costs 400 for 20 uses.

Let's divide this to cost per attack.

Iron Bow: 12 gold per attack

Hand Axe: 15 gold per attack

Javelin: 20 gold per attack

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wait I thought your plan for the Lord's weapons was to keep them at 1 use and then Hammerne them later.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

One thing about FE4 unit balance is that it doesn't really matter near as much since you deploy every unit you have every map.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

My first playthrough I somehow mistook Heath for a prepromote and benched him instantly. :sweatdrop:

Also, I do not understand why they gave Isadora the stats they did. First off, 6 con, really?

It's like the only reason for her existence is if you somehow get Sain, Kent, Lowen, and Marcus all killed and really need a Paladin.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

She's a girl so obviously she's not as big so of course she has less Con! :downs:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thankfully they've just dropped weapon weight into the dustbin.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The problem with weapon weight is that it's either arbitrary and crippling or completely meaningless.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Weight doesn't have anything to do with your hit rate. What weight effects if your Attack Speed.

Attack Speed effects Avoid and Double Attack rates, your AS doesn't have any bearing on if you hit an enemy or not.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Those two bandits are basically a running gag throughout the series.

You see the joke is that they're strongly implied to be gay lovers.

:shepicide:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's not necessary that they're literally brothers.

Part of the gay stereotype in Japanese pop culture is that one guy will call his partner the words that literally translate "brother" or "big brother".

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think this is probably my favorite stage in the game. It's challenging, has a unique gimmick, and really forces you to think and prepare.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Manatee Cannon posted:

He's talking about the Paladin stats caps, not Sain's growths.

I don't think Paladin's lowish caps mean much since they have a horse and can use every relevant weapon type.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sorry this run no longer counts.

You recruit everyone. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how you can "arena grind" with the fairly strict turn count requirements in a ranking run.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zore posted:

Seriously, he's a level 1 Great Knight with 12 Str, 12 Skil, 10 Spd, 14 Def, 3 Res and 28 HP
I'd just like to put some perspective for this.

The Base Stats for a Great Knight are 26 HP, 11 STR, 6 SKL, 5 SPD, 14 DEF, 1 RES.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man your Barte's pretty speed blessed, which is pretty much what he needs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Melth posted:

Again, I'm trying to show how to max rank HHM smart. Recruiting Karla and Farina is a terrible idea.

You recruit everyone or else you can not say you have truly maxed it.

Guess what? :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I had no idea Harken existed for years because I always got the Karel version of the stage.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Silver Falcon posted:

Seeing how the whole Bern arc resolves itself, I really don't get how Zephiel turned out the way he did in FE6. And it's not like that was retconned, either, because this game came out after 6 and the devs knew perfectly well what happens later.

It's supposed to be tragic irony.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If a Swordmaster has a Wo Dao I never let it attack pretty much. Always snipe that thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Second Seals mean there are no characters with bad classes or growth rates, or any bad characters end of

Why on earth did you include this in your list of criticisms. There not being bad characters is a good thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This game would be greatly improved if Karla* was usable on her own merits outside of a gimmick run.
*Replace Karla with [BAD FE7 CHARACTER] if desired

Saying that each character being good and usable makes them samey is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Several of your assessments of characters are bizzare and wrong and Funds rank is still the stupidest thing ever but good job

• Locked thread