Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I love that Fire Emblem Appreciation Season never truly dies.:v:

I'm really looking forward to this playthrough, I've never actually seen an S-ranking of FE7, especially not HHM. I've beaten HHM twice, but I went with the "usual" Fire Emblem approach, aka:

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Also I've pretty much always had one star in speed/turns taken. Gotta get those supports!

Lotish posted:

This is what always got me. Max stars in everything but turn counts.
1 Star in Turns, perfect everything else, aka exactly how fire Emblem is meant to be played. Hey, it's not my fault supports take so long.:colbert:

For both HHM runs I got Matthew and up to level 15ish via boss abuse, and I had Paladin Sain one run like you do, Paladin Kent the next run (he got really good level ups), and Serra also became a dodgebot both times thanks to all the healing that boss abuse requires. I also had an amazingly speed-blessed Dorcas on the second run, with something like 15 speed at level 16. He doubled a loving Mercenary in one chapter, it was hilarious.:pwn:

The early-game isn't so hard when you've got multiple competent (overleveled) fighters. And yes, I'm considering Matthew a competent fighter.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Melth posted:

What do you think of the whole x3 effective damage vs x2 question by the way? If I recall correctly, Sacred Stones had x3 effectiveness multipliers again but I don't think they've been entirely consistent since then.

In my opinion, x2 Might is probably the right multiplier for axes and lances to be extremely powerful without always being an instant kill, but it's just not good enough for swords and bows. Part of the problem of course is that most sword and bow users have lower strength than axe and lance users.

Onmi posted:

So I think you're correct, x2 is fine for Lances and Axes, but Swords and Bows really need the x3. Specifically because in the latter case, they only have the one shot per turn, it might as well be a really powerful shot. And to me the problem with Armorslayer>Hammer is the Armorslayer has 80 Hit, the Hammer has 55 hit. a 4 Mt difference and WTA on the armored units is not nearly enough to offset the 25 hit difference on a unit who naturally has low skill OR is being weighed down by the 15 Wt brick.
Finding out that weapon effectiveness was only X2 in FE7 really explained a lot of things; I'd always wondered why effective weapons seemed so drat underpowered in FE7, and it never really occurred to me that there was an actual reason for it.

To me, the whole goddamn point of effective weapons is to one-shot enemies, so while X2 is kinda acceptable for the Hammer/Wolf Beil, I really side with making everything X3 effectiveness for maximum OHKOing. In FE7, you can usually 2HKO with Iron or Steel anyway, so effective weapons end up being kinda useless past the first few earlygame chapters.

There's also the fact that it really changes how fliers work: I usually give Florina the Angelic Robe which basically allows her to stop giving a gently caress about Bows even as early as chapter 8. That extra 5-10 damage doesn't mean poo poo when you've got enough HP to safely eat the hit and keep fighting, and that's assuming your flier is hit at all.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 20, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Melth posted:

And here we have perhaps the least important chapter of the game, one which seems to be treated as non-canon even by the immediately ensuing chapter and which is regarded as absurd by the characters as they fight through it!
Now how can you call it the least important chapter of the game when you recruit Canas? That make it one of the most important chapters in the game.:colbert:

quote:

Canas is the one true god. He’s the only character who will be on my team from the moment he joins all throughout the game on every difficulty and in every mode. At first glance his stats are only pretty good, rather than amazing, but it’s his across-the-board pretty goodness coupled with his exclusive access to the matchless power of dark magic that makes him the best character in the game for my style of play.

Canas is owning, and he gets some much appreciated speed. The sooner he can double enemies, the sooner he’ll get into his growth singularity and hit level 20.
Ooh, speed, that's a nice start already.:getin:

Oh, and as a fellow fan of Canas, voted 5, went hog wild. I never realized just how drat slowly I played the game before this LP, it's been a really interesting contrast.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Erwin the German posted:

Having blundered my way through FE7 and 8, this is a pretty fascinating LP. Wouldn't mind seeing you do a more casual run-through without all the rating nonsense, but that aspect of it does make it pretty interesting in itself. Having not read through the thread, is Sacred Stones on the agenda after this?
Artix did a really good and thorough FE7 LP a little while back which would probably be right up your alley:
http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Blazing-Sword/
He also did an LP of FE6:
http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Sword-of-Seals/

Pretty much every single FE game got an LP in last two years or so in what is now known as "Fire Emblem Appreciation Season". That's actually why I'm here, I joined for the FE5 LP, and stuck around ever since.:v:
Kishuna's really weird, and I've always though it would have been cool if other games in the series had weird poo poo like a Magic Seal. I've also wondered how differently the game would play if you could actually recruit someone like Kishuna; even if whoever you recruited only nullified magic in range of like 5 spaces instead of 10, it would really change up the game's tactics.

Also, Kishuna has a battle sprite in the game, but it's not used for whatever reason:

You can see it in the class roll in the intro screen of the game (and in battle in a couple hacks, I think).

quote:

Hell yeah, I like where this is going.:getin:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Melth posted:

Dang, that guy does hit hard. Well so does Canas, they’re pretty much evenly matched (unless Canas uses Luna of course, but I don’t want Canas getting the kill).
Yeah nothing to see here, just a magic unit eating a hit from a promoted Silver Sword Hero and still having more than half his health left.:c00lbert:

quote:

Well Canas missed one, but he got a great level so I don’t care. Yeah, beat Sain in Defense!
Seriously 14 Defense on Canas :wtc:. I know he's supposed to be hardier/more physically defensive than most of your other magic units, but right now he's got better defense than your entire army.:stare:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like this map a lot, though it can be kind of bullshit since you have three people that you have no control over to account for. Jaffar usually won't kill himself, but it is possible.
I really, really want to punch (in the dick, repeatedly) the programmer who gave this fighter a Swordreaver:

This is where basically every single frustration with Jaffar and healing happens in this chapter, it's because this dude does 41% damage to Jaffar's health if he hits, which starts the whole "I'm hurt but not going to use my Elixir" thing.

Melth posted:

Next turn, Canas and Ursula are alone. As you can see, she’s immune to magic. Even the extremely strong Canas wielding dark magic can barely scratch her due to weapon triangle advantage.

But Luna will completely own her. I won’t be doing this now of course because if she dies, I get no more reinforcements.
Seriously Luna is loving amazing.:allears: It's just so much fun watching Canas make absolute chumps out of so many high-level Black Fang members. Usually I do reinforcement farming wherever I can, but Ursula is a special "gently caress you, you die to Luna right now" exception.

I assume you're going to have Canas kill Sonia too? Both because killing un-killable Anima users is Canas's :black101: forte, and for JUSTICE and plot-related reasons. (The whole Canas is Nino's uncle thing, and goddamn is there anyone in this thread who doesn't already know that?)

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I remember the first time I got to Cog of Destiny on HHM, and I just stared at these Valkyries thinking "loving Christ they can nuke most of my team":

Then I decided it was officially Canas's time to shine, mostly because I didn't see any other way to stop the Valkyrie horde.

Since I wasn't playing for rank, my "strategy" similar to yours, only without caring about Canas getting overleveled:

So I had Canas and a freshly promoted Nino (B-supported) hold the line and nuke everything. I burned through the equivalent of almost 2 Luna tomes (I saved one at 1 use to Hammerne it), I think Canas ended up at like Level 18 or some insane poo poo, Nino got to around level 11, but man was it fun watching Canas just chump all those Valkyries like nothing. Five turns of Luna crit after Luna crit.:allears:

E: This LP has been really informative in showing just how different a ranking run is from a casual run. There's a bunch of differences that I was vaguely aware of, but the EXP thing has been a real surprise. I never imagined that the EXP requirements meant that you'd end up using literally everyone in your army at some point, or that you'd have to drag along multiple unpromoted units to such a lategame chapter like this (or that those units could successfully get levels instead of just dying horribly).

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 17, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Melth posted:

Ah ha, that explains why I don't remember the silhouette thing happening at first, I never played on an emulator till a couple of years ago. Still, they don't use the scrolling text thing at several other moments that are just as dramatic if not more so. If it was deliberate here then yeah that's kind of silly of them, but it still seems like it's probably some sort of mistake.
The silhouette thing I think I can explain: in the actual game during this scene, Eliwood is (rightfully) angry at Nergal and so he's using his angry portrait (listed in the game code as 0x03 Angry Eliwood). For some reason, the usual FE7 ROM either doesn't have that portrait or the pointer to the portrait messed up, and so it doesn't correctly display in this scene.

Whatever the reason, it only happens here because this is basically the only time Angry Eliwood pops up, unlike Angry Hector who pops up more than once:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 18, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

How does it feel to be completely wrong, Nergal?:getin:

Seriously, it's amazing just how hard Canas invalidates so many late-game bosses with Luna. Ursula, Sonia and Limstella are all super strong Anima users, but Canas just chumps them all like it's nothing. There's just something so satisfying about nuking a boss like Limstella in one shot with Luna, especially with a gratuitous Druid critical. 75 damage.:allears:

So I guess you only get two Lunas on HHM? I thought you got three, but that might be Normal mode only and/or me usually stealing an extra Luna via the mine glitch feature (along with Vaida's Uber Spear).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
:golfclap: Excellent work Melth.

It was fun (and a little terrifying) to see what it takes to S-rank FE7, and it was certainly different from how I'm used to playing (the awesomeness of Canas and Luna excepted, of course). One of these days I may try a ranking run and I'll probably use your LP as a rough guide to doing so.

One thing that's kinda terrifying to realize is that the Fire Dragon you're fighting is already almost dead thanks to Ninian's ice blast. How loving strong would that dragon be at full power?:stare:

On another "strong unit" note:

:stare: I have never seen an Erk this good, ever. I didn't even know it was possible for Erk to be this good. Those Afa's drops certainly did their magic on him.

I also just realized that in addition to being Magic and Speed blessed, your Canas has more physical defense than both Sain and Raven, and one less Defense point than Eliwood.

Magic guys are usually supposed to be squishy, but Canas never seems to get that memo. (And it is awesome.):getin:

Finally:

Francis posted:

Aw, does this mean you aren't doing a SS-ranking run next? :saddowns:
I know you aren't a fan of FE6 Melth, but I'd personally love to see an FE6 ranking run. While the story is kinda boring, I still like FE6 for a few reasons like viable pre-promotes, earlier access to the S-rank weapons, greater access to more "fun" stuff like Long Range tomes, Silence/Sleep/Berserk staves, super powerful Hard Mode recruits (loving hell at Percival's HM stats), and X3 effective weapons (even if it does make the final boss a complete joke).

Oh, and it has Gonzales.

:allears:

Basically I'd love to see what an S-ranked run of FE6 entails, but I certainly understand if you don't feel like doing it. Your FE7 S-ranked run was good enough that now I want more, which definitely shows that you did a good job in the LP, so congrats again.:golfclap:

• Locked thread