Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

vilkacis posted:

Tempted to emptyquote.

But yeah, we could definitely do with more non-swordie lords. Hell, even if they are awful, a bow lord could be kind of interesting since you'd have to find a use for them instead of permabenching them like you would any other archer :v:

...I wonder if people would like Hector as much if he came with bows instead of axes...

Virion is technically the closest we've ever gotten for a bow lord. :v: Chrom could respec to Archer, but why would you really outside of Apotheosis builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Keldulas posted:

Actually, whether or not you grind is actually really important, because pegasus knights become a BITCH when you're not grinding. As stated before, they usually become fast enough to avoid being doubled by a lot of your units, so one-shotting them with a bow is both valuable and important. Also, dark fliers tend to have spells a lot, so yes you can set up counterkills with bows on them on enemy phase.

Besides, even if you completely ignore that point, there's Paralogue 17: Threat of Silence where none of the enemies attack you on enemy phase and they're all fliers. Try to tell me bows are worthless there.

I don't disagree that Archers aren't useless on Awakening, but you've got some information wrong there. First off, Dark Fliers can and will just close into minimum range against Archers if they can.

In addition, the idea that enemies don't attack on Paralogue 17 is silly. I've always played that map by using a turtle formation and having the enemies suicide themselves onto my walls. If they can't get to their target, they're programmed to simply attack what's available instead.

Really though you can walk over most of Awakening once Tharja gets access to Nosferatus, it's just a matter of keeping everyone else alive.

The other issue with Archers in Awakening is that you get only two that join in that class (one of whom is pretty bad and the other joins way too late) and almost no reason to ever reclass into one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zore posted:

That is only true if you buy the DLC. Money in Awakening is incredibly difficu lt to come by if you're trying to do random map grinding on Hard/Lunatic since Reeking Boxes are a huge net loss, you can only get three or four 'natural' encounters a day and you get, at most, like 2000 gold from each if you're incredibly lucky with a random drop and the shiny spots spit out expensive items instead of their myriad other drops.

In fact the only real economical way to grind money in Awakening without the Golden Gaffe is the soul-crushing method of having Chrom/Lucina solo map after map after map with the Falchion. I remember playing Awakening at release and running out of money in the middle of the game. poo poo was rough. And that was just grinding some supports to unlock some of the kid maps. At least in games with Arenas getting some extra gold is pretty easy.

To counter, you don't really need money much for anything in Awakening. Seals and the occasional weapon restock, but there are really enough of the latter from drops that past midgame you never really have to worry about money.

Plus the fact that they give you two free infinite durability swords that are effective enough for the whole game really helps.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Couldn't you use Dorcas and Matthew to get a bit more XP as well? They're not great but anything's better than having to use Rebecca.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Vaida/Dorcas is the best support.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kajeesus posted:

Awakening definitely had the biggest crop of awful characters, and completely directionless character designs, but there were some characters who made their gimmicks work. Gregor and Brady had their gimmicks front and center, but they made them work. I also did like when supports brought out unexpected qualities in characters, like Donnel being a literal genius or Candy Dude being an accomplished blacksmith.

DoR was almost entirely the US localization, actually. Every gimmick you can think of was absent in the more literal European translation. There was no time to make like a bakery truck and haul buns, nor any mr. Bear or delightful southern accents in the original script, unless those were removed for the EU release.

Which makes me wonder how many character gimmicks in Awakening were added by the localization. I feel like all the worst gimmicks were the ones that were in the original game but don't translate well to English, like the Miriels' loquaciousness, Tharja's creepyness or Olivia's... whatever you call it.

E: Awakening did have that one chapter that spawns 9 range assassins with silver bows right near the boss, which move on the turn they spawn and have a chance to have the Pass ability. That's challenge of a sort.

Henry and Gregor got a lot better from the localization, if I remember right.

Awakening I feel is a good and addictive standalone game, but for the franchise it belongs to (Fire Emblem), it probably sticks out as being pretty dumbed down. Similar to Persona Q - it's a decent enough game in its own right, but it's a very beginner version of the series it pays homage to (Etrian Odyssey).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kajeesus posted:

Amarant is fine; he gets a bunch of excellent unique support abilities. I didn't know people actually used Freya and Quina's grind abilities outside of low level games. Why would you?

Dragon Crest is still remarkably easy to power up compared to the rest; I know I never got Thievery to 9999 damage.

And Awakening definitely has bad characters, especially without a considerable amount of grinding. Virion, Ricken, Frederick-post Chapter 5 or 6, most of the kids. Even some of your early characters are pretty bad with a small amount of RNG-screwing: Maribelle, Sumia, Vaike and Stahl will fall behind quickly if they don't get some RNG. It's just less painful in the game because you can Second Seal and grind on the map.

Also despite actually being able to attack, Olivia is really bad stuck as a Dancer without reclassing since she can't dodge nearly as well as some of the other dancers in the series can.

• Locked thread