Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Melth posted:

Yeah but that's an irrational reason not to rely on dodging. Dodging is very valuable and is sometimes essential. However, dodge tanking as a primary means of staying alive is only viable in the late game. Enemy accuracy starts off enormous because of the huge hit bonuses of iron weapons and grows very slowly -or even falls if they start equipping less accurate weapons. Ally avoid starts off low and then grows quite well throughout the game. You can dodge attacks in the early stages, but not very often. In the late game, your dodgey units can easily reduce enemy hit chances significantly below 50%- and sometimes to 0 if you can grab some good terrain or huge support bonuses (not available in max ranking runs).

In the early game, having high Def and enough speed that you don't get doubled is king.

Later on, high defense is... still actually completely awesome. But dodging becomes a significant part of your overall defenses. You can calculate out the expected damage you'll take from a group of enemies with not much more difficulty than just the damage you'd take if you assume they'd all hit. As a good rule of thumb, I suggest using the displayed accuracies for this purpose rather than the true hit ones because enemy chances to hit will often drop below 50 by this point which means that the displayed accuracies will overrate the enemy capacity to damage you and thus make you less likely to lose characters to enemy luck.

The trouble I have with what Manatee is saying isn't the idea that dodging is an important part of staying alive but that Manatee is talking like Priscilla immediately jumps up to 20/20 and like the 74 or so avoid she has at 20/20 is 1) complete invulnerability despite horrendous HP and defense and 2) totally not in the same league as Erk's 66 avoid. The unarguable fact of the matter is that Erk is far easier to level up than Priscilla is. Priscilla requires an absolutely massive investment of effort to create situations to grind her up to level 20 troubadour even if you don't care about turn count. And the result is not necessarily even better than Erk.

Let's imagine these 20/20 characters fight a level 20 enemy cavalier with an iron lance. You know, the kind of character who should be absolutely effortless for them to defeat since they're 20 levels above him. That guy is looking at about 103 hit with his HHM bonuses. And this isn't like a myrmidon with an iron sword or anything, this is just an average cavalier- not even promoted- with an iron lance. He's also looking at about 24 damage with his lance.

So he has about 29 displayed to hit Priscilla and 37 on Erk . If hit, Priscilla takes 14 damage out of her 35 HP. Erk takes 12 out of 45. On average, this means Erk takes slightly more damage. But he has much higher HP so they each take about the same number of imaginary cavalier attacks to die (about 15 considering true hit). And this is a bad case for Erk. Against more accurate enemies - like people with swords or, you know, anyone who's even remotely close to their own level, the true hit formulas are going to make the difference in avoid rates matter less and their ability to actually reduce damage or take less matter more.

Crunching the numbers on a mercenary with an iron sword of level 20 with HHM bonuses, we're looking at Priscilla dying to 7 and Erik dying to 10. So a huge advantage for Erk there. Conversely, Priscilla will have an edge against brigands. But at this point those are no threat to anyone. Each will be able to take out dozens.

I'm done arguing this because the numbers back me up. At best you can argue Priscilla and Erk have approximately the same overall tankiness at 20/20. But against enemies that are a more serious threat, the calculations say Erk has an edge. You know, on top of actually being a real unit for most of the game and not needing any special treatment to even become functional.

Be prepared to repeat this argument infinitely when Nino shows up, also be glad you're not playing FE8 and having to explain Amelia and Ewan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Man this is such a filler chapter. Also I believe Eubans title in Japanese is bird-related so "Talons Alight" fits more, but I could be wrong.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lotish posted:

I just got Amelia and was impressed with how well she could handle a steel sword Cavalier in her introductory chapter on Difficult. Let her handle him while other units took out other targets and it gave her a nice lead on her class change.

Lotish, there are no Steel Sword Cavs on her debut chapter

Lvl 9 Cavalier: 27-29 HP, 7-8 Def, 1-3 Res
1x Iron Sword- 14 Atk, 101-105 Hit, 19-22 Avoid, 2-3 Crit
2x Steel Lance- 19 Atk, 81-85 Hit, 2-3 Avoid, 2-3 Crit, 4-5 AS
1x Heavy Spear*- 18 (36) Atk, 82-86 Hit, 9-12 Avoid, 2-3 Crit, 3-4 AS

Okay...

Now lets look at Amelia, on the same chapter

Amelia
Lv. 1 Recruit- 16 HP, 2 Def, 3 Res
Slim Lance- 8 Atk, 94 Hit, 14 Avoid, 6 Crit, 4 AS

Can't double any of the cavs, ORKOed by all but the Iron Sword, Who she has a 72 minimum chance to be hit by who does all but 3 of her HP in 1 hit. This is the single Iron Sword Cavalier, as the Steel Lance and Heavy Spear Cavs will ORKO her with 67-68 Minimum chance And in response she's doing.... 0-1 damage.

So Lotish, I'm just going off statistics here, but what the gently caress FE8 are you playing... and can I have it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Melth posted:

Maybe Lotish is doing a different route from you?

I checked the opposite route as well, there aren't even cavaliers on chapter 9 eirika (Her 'debut' chapter) there are on Chapter 13 Eirika (your last chance to recruit her), who exclusively use Iron Lances

Lvl 12 Cavaliers: 30-31 HP, 9-10 Str, 7-8 Skl, 8-9 Spd, 4 Lck, 7-8 Def, 2-3 Res
Iron Lance: 16-17 Atk, 96-98 Hit, 20-22 Avoid, 3-4 Crit

and while I can't find her stats (She's level 4 rather than 1)

and Amelia's averages for Level 4 are

HP: 17.8
Str: 5.05
Skl: 4.2
Spd: 5.2
Luck: 7.5
Def: 2.9
Res: 3.45

Unless her joining stats on that chapter are massively different to her averages (In which case I can't find it documented anywhere) then she's not doing much better against the level 12 Cavs.

The enemy units for Eirika chapter 9 are

x8 Mercenaries (Lvl 9)
x6 Pirate (Lvl 9)
x5 Archers (x3 Lvl 8, x2 Lvl 9)
x4 Soldiers (Lvl 8)
x2 Fighters (Lvl 9)
x1 Myrmidon (Lvl 9)
x1 Shaman (Lvl 8)
x1 Sniper (Lvl 2)
x1 Warrior (Binks)
Reinforcements: x1 Pirate (Lvl 9) start of turn 2
x1 Mercenary (Lvl 9), x1 Mage (Lvl 8), x2 Archers (Lvl 8) at the start of turn 3
x1 Mercenary (Lvl 8), x1 Soldier (Lvl 8), x2 Fighters (Lvl 9) at start of turn 4
x2 Fighters (Lvl 9), x2 Mages (Lvl 8), x3 Soldiers (Lvl 9) and Amelia at start of turn 5

On Ephraim 11

x5 Knights (x4 Lv. 9, x1 Lv. 10)
x2 Fighters (x2 Lv. 9)
x6 Archers (x1 Lv. 8, x5 Lv. 9)
x5 Soldiers (x5 Lv. 9)
x4 Cavaliers (x4 Lv. 9)
x4 Mercenaries (x3 Lv. 9, x1 Lv. 10)
x1 Myrmidon (x1 Lv. 10)
x2 Priests (x1 Lv. 9, x1 Lv. 11)
x4 Mages (x4 Lv. 9)
x2 Shamans (x2 Lv. 9)
x1 Recruit (x1 Amelia)
x1 Warrior (x1 Gheb)

And on Eirika 13

x6 Soldiers (Lvl 12)
x6 Archers (Lvl 11)
x4 Cavaliers (Lvl 12)
x4 Armors (Lvl 12)
x2 Priests (x1 Lvl 10, x1 Lvl 13)
x1 Mercenary (Lvl 12)
x3 Rangers (Lvl x2 Lvl 2, x1 Lvl 3)
x1 Great Knight (Aias)

I'm not trying to be hostile, I'm just confused.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lotish posted:

I did the Ephraim's route, and some of the reinforcements have steel swords:

Man Serenes has one use as a resource and it doesn't even detail Reinforcements...

You're still facing 59% hit chances, that seems really drat dangerous with 66.79% true chance, to be... frankly, 2RKOed.

There's absolutely no way she's soloing that without at least a healer. I of course don't have his stats, you do. But if it's anything like the others, then you're still facing 1-2 damage total per hit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lotish posted:

I didn't say she solo'd it, though I can see how my wording may have been confusing. Still, I didn't need Natasha doing anything else by that point, so it worked out well.

Okay, then yeah if you lock yourself into a choke point with Natasha drip feeding heals, now it all comes together and the confusion lifts.

I mean... your best bet is to sit there and let them kill themselves, but still, I would not call this a win for Amelia. but I should clarify that as much as I say "Amelia is such poo poo." I still do use her myself.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Melth posted:

For that matter, it's not like it's actually even possible to recruit every character on a single run regardless. For one thing you have to choose between Harken and Karel and between Geitz and Wallace. I suppose that's sorta different, but still.

Least it's not FE5, where if you don't have 47 characters you cannot get a SSS Rank

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You know? I never really thought much about Ephidel despite him basically being the 'Primary Antagonist' for the mid-game, But dear god he really is the stupidest motherfucker and this game is only continuing because of the good grace of his stupidity.

Melth posted:

I seem to be getting a "unsupported visualboyadvance save game version 13" whenever I try to load it. I discovered I was using a very old version of the VBA so I downloaded a newer one, but had the same problem.

Save your game.

Empty out 'Slot 1's inventory (should be Hector)

Go to Cheats> List of your VBA emulator with FE7 loaded

Click Codebreaker

Input

3202BD6E 005A
3202BD6F 0001

Give it a description if you want.

Click OK

Make sure it's given Hector the Angelic Robe.

Save the game. Turn off the Code. give the Robe to Florina, use it.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 24, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

You know all this talk about how ephidel is an idiot got me thinking, and I realized that all the morphs come off as not the brightest tools in the shed. I mean Kishuna is mute, Denning is an attack bot capable of saying only one line, and you never see a generic morph soldier speaking ever. It's like Nergal deliberately chose to make them more evil at the expense of brain power.

In the case of Denning, it's become clear that Nergal made a morph simply to deliver a message. Kishuna... Okay, I have the best explanation of Kishuna that's not actually in the game. He's an Anti-Magic morph, Athos was the only one as far as Nergal knew who could stop him. if Kishuna was specifically an Anti-Athos morph, that makes a tonne of sense and explains why you find him in the desert as well. I would also have used him to explain why Athos can't simply Scryport to Nergal and deal with everything himself.

Now I'm going to stop talking about poo poo we haven't seen yet, it'll all come soon enough.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Melth posted:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Every morph seems to be stupid, insane, mentally broken and incomprehensible, or outright robotic. As is pointed out repeatedly, they're not humans- they just look like humans. That's why they're called "morphs" which means "forms" or "shapes" or the like. They have the shape of a human but nothing else. They don't have quintessence- which seems to be something like a soul among other things- that can be harvested or anything like that either.

I think though that it's not that Nergal chose to make them like that but that he can't do better. He doesn't even understand what he made a morph with emotions like Kishuna for anymore and he's completely lost his human self. He doesn't even recognize his own children or why they were important to him or understand anything humans do and feel. Heck, he doesn't even know why he even wants what he wants anymore, he's just a vessel for dark power. If he's completely lost his understanding of what humans are, how could he make anything that thinks like a human at anything other than a superficial level?

In short, he's progressed in a way that Canas says one can progress when discussing Dark magic.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I just... it's not a plot hole but I always hated how the Black Fang were assassins. Vigilantes, mercenaries, all these words fit a Warrior, and his swordmaster and Hero son and just the sheer scope of the people the Fang recruit to their side. I know they're assassins in the sense that they kill people, but I still think that vigilantes carries the same message and not leaving people to wonder why the Fang has an entire church of monks.

Also the time-scale, in just one year everythings been corrupted to poo poo from Brendan's vision? That feels... so drat short when you consider how deeply entrenched the Fang is with Nergals goals. And I know they explain that away I just don't buy the explanation for the timeframe given.

But like I said, this isn't a plot hole, this is just a personal preference thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

That's a pretty good analysis, I always disliked the Fang, mostly because the majority of them bore me to tears, partially because everyone fellates them endlessly, which now that I think about it, they do it to Ephidel too...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Melth posted:

Kinda hard to imagine they killed anyone worse than a nobleman who invited the entire population of his town into his castle and then slaughtered them all for fun. Or the crazy guy babbling endlessly about how his sword is hungry and pondering whether Lyn's skin would still be silky smooth after he cuts it off her. My guess is that it's not publicly known that such people were among the Four Fangs and that the group covers up its own atrocities while emphasizing those of the people they killed.

You know, it's almost exactly like the peasant railgun- especially in that the thing being transported stops dead and drops at the end rather than actually being launched.

The thing is, those weren't chest keys I bought: those were door keys. As far as I can recall, chest keys are never purchasable except later on from some Secret Shops (and they're not a very good buy all in all, costing about 4x the price of a lockpick use per chest, in contrast to door keys which are actually a better buy). I did use the door key I purchased (Florina had it), which allowed me to complete things 1 turn faster.

Going into that chapter, I'd completely forgotten that on HHM there isn't an enemy who drops a chest key (There is on every other difficulty). So I had to come up with that whole rescue chain thing more or less on the spot because my usual plan of sending Erk or Florina to loot the whole southern treasure room while Matthew handles only the top wouldn't work.

On the other hand, Door keys, 50gp, 50gp everywhere, always use Door Keys if you can over a lockpick.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Damian is an example of a bad spawn-mover (honestly we just call them 'rear end in a top hat Reinforcements' because... well lets face it.) He appears from out of nowhere, it powerful, and moves, and there's no warning. I mean... to me, rear end in a top hat Reinforcements that are well foreshadowed are fine, because they give the player the knowledge "This is coming, be prepared for this." (Regardless I'm still removing it from my remake of FE6) but Damian just doesn't let the player know he'll be there. I would have foreshadowed it by having a cutscene one or two turns before with a Black Fang spy rocking up and going "That's the targets, I must inform Commander Damian at one."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Right I forgot how loving INSANE Pirate Ship got on HHM. I really is a chapter that should be later in the game, and... honestly I recommend it to be.

This whole first trip to Valor really hurts this game badly, I mean... if it ended in the next few chapters + maybe moving the final chapter up? It would be a short (Counting Lyn Mode as well of course) game that would have a pretty well rounded story, I mean you lose a lot but it works...

But frankly what's going to happen is you'll get to the logical end point, the game will have its grand climax then the game just sort of goes "Uh... poo poo... we uh.... weren't ready to actually have the final battle... could you like... go dick around Nabata and Bern and run back and forth across the continent so we can prepare for the exact same climax at the end of the game? Thanks."

And that's FE7's main flaw to me, The story, on the whole, is really quite good, it's just arranged in a way that leads to it blowing its load and then blowing the same load later. Mind you, I understand why they did it, it's the same reason that Aine is the boss of Chapter 12 in FE6, you need to establish the main 'threat' of the game to the player visually, and just being told Here be dragons, go do something about it or we're all going to loving die Doesn't have the same effect as what FE7 actually does.

Still, I personally, as do many of the people I've talked to when discussing FE7 and hacking and blah blah, believe this part of the game serves great merged with the finale, but when it comes to map travel logistics it's a nightmare and just serves to blow the exact same climax as the end of the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I just sort of had both versions happen to me to be honest. It's kinda what happens when you opt to use different units each run.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FPzero posted:

Pretty sure Marquess Araphen is not Aion and that they just share recolored portraits. Araphen has blond hair while Aion has greenish hair.

yeah I was going to say... sometimes a recoloured portrait is just a recoloured portrait. FE does it all the time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Melth posted:

Evidently not. But if it would make it more palatable, I could provide some dressing for it.

Yes, yes, of course it's just a portrait recolor. But unlike most portrait recolors, 1) this one is of a person who didn't die yet, 2) their personalities are quite similar, 3) Marquess Araphen was not officially named during Lyn's story, and 4) there are several fairly plausible explanations for how Marquess Araphen could have ended up working with the Black Fang (I gave one: that his actions during Lyn's campaign put him on very shaky ground, so he decided to throw in with Darin and is now here for more or less the same reason Darin is).

So?

1) They do portrait recolours of people who haven't died all the time
2) Racist as your sole character trait does not equal 'Similar'
3) That doesn't really matter, most Marquess aren't named unless they become recurring and important
4) While you may consider them plausible nowhere in the script the games data, or Aion's character description

is it even hinted that he's Marquess Araphan, there's no conversation with Lyn or any of the Lyn Mode crew, there's no talk with Eliwood, Hector or any of the people who would know a Marquess. There is nothing.

Listen, there are times when you are insightful, and then there are times when you over analyze something very simple. This time you are over analyzing something very simple.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Melth posted:

No, this time I'm making a joke. You may recall I said "Yes, yes, of course it's just a portrait recolor," admitting that I'm well aware this is just them re-using a portrait.

Oh. See I was thrown for a loop because Jokes are by definition, usually funny. And for all intents and purposes your post came across as 100% serious.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

You know, why is it that you get two sword lords in this game and one who uses axes? It's a bit redundant. Wouldn't it make more sense if either Lynn or Eliwood used a different weapon? Sacae is all about the bows, so Lynn could use bows (and even gains them on promotion)! Or Eliwood is basically a Paladin without a horse anyway so have him use lances, maybe?

I dunno, it would add some variety other than SWORDS EVERYWHERE.

Because Axes and Bandits are common place enemies to whom the easiest way to kill is with a Sword, also because Lances are much more powerful, and Hector should be an example of what an axe-rapier does, same as Ephraim with his Lance-Rapier in FE8.

Yeah it's very samey but they make the decision for a good reason.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ironically in the last Fire Emblem thing IntSys has done, the Apotheosis DLC for Awakening, has seen archers become the most powerful class available to you. It's really all down to design and proves that they can be good if the game allows for it.

yeah but that's like saying "Archers are the most powerful class if you play Lunatic + in FE12" while true, that's not a point in game designs favor since Lunatic + is by definition stupidly difficult bullshit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lotish posted:

You know, it's kind of funny: In FE4, Kaga originally meant for Jamka to be an axe user but decided he liked him, so he gave him bows to make him more powerful.

Well Kaga also made a bow lord in one of the Saga games.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dorothy's supports with Jodel mention that she can't use Staves despite wanting to.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

After all, Niime's been doing it for decades, is in her 70's and is just the same as ever. Her purpose for studying it was fear of dragons.

It is not inevitable to fall into losing yourself. but it's always a possibility. Because Dark magic is the magic of knowledge, Anima magic is the magic of nature, and Light magic is the magic of faith.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Melth posted:

I remember that Knoll explains that that's how it is in Magvel, but I don't remember a similar conversation in Elibe. Is there a support I'm forgetting?

In Canas support with Pent, Canas mentions that Pent looks to be an adept in the magics of nature, Canas himself brings up Dark is knowledge (Well Darkness, but everything we learn about Dark magic is that it requires a keen mind), which leaves Light as faith.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

poorlywrittennovel posted:

The problem with talking about the schools of magic in FE games is that we never see them used for non-combat purposes. Even Athos whipping up an eternal sandstorm is a destructive application of anima's natural bend. Our only perspectives on how dark magic works from heroic characters are Canas's family in FE6 and 7, and they're all hosed up in their own ways. Anima and light could theoretically have non-violent applications with their tomes we see in games, but we have literally no idea what dark magic can do outside of combat.

There is Niime's flash freeze in Ilia, That seems to be Anima but she of course, is a Druid.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

About Ephidel, there was a fanhack that tried to deal with what would happen if he did survive, horribly maimed, burnt and even more insane and unstable. It was covered in the FE megathread and iirc it was a pretty good hack.

Elibien Nights, He's the boss of "Pent's Tale"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The problem with women is their rescue formula is different (read: Worse) for females.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Personally, for me, I am in the camp that the Con system itself is great...but the Con numbers they gave to the characters are oftentimes not chosen well. For example, even Lucius has 6 Con...and yet Lyn only has 5? And Canas has 7? So am I to take it that Lucius and Canas, of all people, could actually beat Lyn in an arm wrestling match?! Or even Isadora, for that matter?

I mean seriously, I know women's muscles generally aren't as thick or as heavy as men, but they aren't THAT much smaller! There's not way that someone in the military, like Lyn, should ever be able to carry any less than a book nerd like Canas :argh: ! So if the Con system seems bad, it's not. It's what they DID with it that's bad.

No that would be strength, which neither of them have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF-YeWnIJfU

But even then, it wouldn't be so unrealistic for them to beat Lyn at Arm wrestling. As that video shows, someone who won a Worlds Strongest Woman competition can still lose 2/3 arm wrestling matches to random blokes.

Notty posted:

Don't forget Wendy.

...actually, no, nevermind, best to forget Wendy.

Considering that her portrait in the array is one of the furthest back, there's a very good chance that yes, she was completely not a character until near the end of the game. Hell most of the boss and enemy portraits go before hers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Really they're the ambiguously gay Yakuza bandits. They exist to show up in the desert as bosses to be killed by you. They even show up as Laguz in FE10

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

So, in other news, it seems to me like Lyn and Eliwood are a little underpowered, especially considering how tough it can be to promote them, and Hector is a little overpowered, so I've been thinking of how to balance them. What do you all think of the following buffs and nerfs?

code:
Lyn:

HP: 16>18  70>80%
Str:  4>5  40>50%
Skl:  7>8     60%
Spd:    9     60%
Lck:  5>7  55>60%
Def:  2>4  20>25%
Res:    0     30%
Con:  5>7

Eliwood:

HP: 18>19  80>85%
Str:  5>6  45>55%
Skl:  5>6     50%
Spd:    7  40>45%
Lck:  7>5     45%
Def:  5>6  30>35%
Res:    0     35%
Con:  7>9

Hector:

HP: 19>20     90%
Str:    7     60%
Skl:    4  45>40%
Spd:    5  35>30%
Lck:    3     30%
Def:    8  50>45%
Res:    0     25%
Con:   13
I made those numbers around the idea that their stats should be made around patterns. Hence, each of their starting HP and Str totals is different by one point, their Def stats differ by 2 points, each of their Luck is different by 2 points, and etc. And of course, the same applies to their growths.

Not only does this make Lyn and Eliwood a good bit stronger, but it also makes more sense in-universe. Eliwood should be fairly equal to Hector in combat proficiency since in-universe, he's supposed to be very slightly better than Hector (they have regular sparring matches, and Eliwood won a teensy bit more of them than Hector). And yet, if you take two of their Level 1 selves into the Arena, Hector is clearly FAR better than Eliwood, to the point where he can literally 2HKO him, and has 48% accuracy despite WTD. And in return, Eliwood only does 3 Damage per hit to him, and doesn't even double.

So, the number changes also do a bit to address that, so that Hector will usually lose to Eliwood with WTD taken into account, but will usually win without WTD being taken into account. So, it still doesn't perfectly match up in in-universe terms...but it matches up better than it did before. The only other way I could think of would be either ditching the number patterns entirely, or giving Hector 7 Defense, and then giving Lyn 5 Defense, but that seems a bit unreasonable to me, especially since Kent himself has only 5 Defense.

As for Con...alright, so apparently men CAN pretty easily beat women at arm-wrestling matches...but even still, Lyn doesn't really feel like she should be less physically hardy than Canas, especially considering both her background, and the fact that she's a warrior who fights in melee combat. Plus, having only 5 Con kind of works against her I believe, so I think 7 is about right for her.

So what do you all think?

overall consider that 5% of a growth is +1 more stat on average. But mostly, test it, see how it turns out run the "Averages" in an averages calculator.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Ah, there we go! Nice idea Melth! I'm not sure that Archer stats should be through the roof, but perhaps they could have a critical bonus of 15 or 30? After all, bows actually ARE pretty powerful weapons in real life, so I could see a well-trained Sniper, with really good aim, being able to immediately drop people.

And, in addition, if we're going the "Javelin Bow" idea, it seems to me that bows in general should get an MT buff, as they are generally pretty weak. Perhaps an Iron Bow having an MT of 8-9 would work? Otherwise, a "Javelin Bow" would only have like, what, 5 MT?

I've had good experiences with 2-3 bows 2-5 long bow and high statted Archers with 30 crit snipers. Here's the thing. Yes, those are all powerful buffs to a group of units that overshadows most other foot units. But here's the thing... they're STILL only killing 1 unit a turn. Meanwhile My cavalier has more movement and will kill like 7 a turn.

Here is my view on the player phase locked archers, you have 1 action, The enemy turn will be spent with nothing, so if you have 1 action. Make that action count.

By not giving the same benefit to Nomads (who have extra movement) and Warriors (Who would otherwise be better than archers) Archer/Sniper has its nieche as the eraser class, they can erase a dude from the map, or seriously wound them to the point it breaks a problem for you.

Also the S rank bow is 1-2. by which point you get it prepare to stomp all over the game.

It also makes Enemy archers a much larger threat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Ah...hmm. Sounds to me like we'd need something like class skills then, like what we had with FE8. Perhaps archers would get a range boost then, that neither Nomads nor Warriors would get?

Ah, Can has something like that for me, the problem is it only effects the player. Give it time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dr. Buttass posted:

Fire Emblem archers move and act a lot like modern archers, it's kind of a function of the gameplay. But in olden times archers were supposed to be a lot more Robin Hood, agile and nimble and moving around a lot and making their bread and butter of things you and I might consider low-end trick shots today.

So, here is my idea for making archers competitive and different and maybe slightly useful: Dodge rolls. Or dodge flips. Visually they could be any loving number of things, I don't care, but mechanically what I mean is that when attacked by a melee class, archers (and maybe other classes when equipped with a bow, but only archers are specifically designed around it) move away into attack range if able (that is, not completely blocked off by units or impassable terrain) and then counterattack as though they'd been attacked by another bow user. Mechanically, this is a special case with a special move stat; archers get "anyplace where the enemy would be in range to be attacked, away from the enemy" and other bow users get "one, so tough luck if you're using that one special bow with the weird long range". During the fight it just goes, afterwards you get to retroactively decide where they dodged to; but, also, if they do dodge, you're obligated to move them, you can't opt to leave them where they were attacked. This stops them being such a helpless wad when attacked by a melee attacker, you can lead your enemy on a merry chase across the map if you should so desire and your hit rate cooperates, and it gives them something unique to strategize around which my limited experience with tactics in this game says is probably useful in some situations.

You really can't post this with without the Lars video you know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Melth posted:

Double negative! Triple negative! ULTRA NEGATIVE!

I haven't played any DLC so I can't comment upon them, but I HAVE beaten Awakening on Lunatic+ with no grinding and no paralogues whatsoever and I would say that archers were pretty much worthless all the way though. Could you find uses for them if you worked at it? Yes. But mages or people with javelins or the like could do the same job better. Even more so than in most other games because there were so many more ways to kick rear end on the enemy turn if you weren't an archer.

Awakening was a completely broken game balance wise, even for FE. And the changes made were really unhelpful to archers. The best way to do a 0 grinding max difficulty run in my experience was to mass flyers and dark knights and have each of them wear someone who gave + Def and Speed like a pair of pants.

At no point did I ever think "Man, I wish I had an archer." The problem is that archers are not, in fact, particularly good against air units. Yes, you can kill 1 air unit on your turn. So can anyone else worth using. But air units are better than any other units at then flooding in and murdering you on their turn and archers don't have the stats or weapons to defend themselves from that onslaught. Yes, if they have a ranged weapon you can SOMETIMES just wait on the edge of their range. But that's only in the rare case where 1) your archer can take the hit(s) 2) the enemy has a 1-2 range weapon and is a flyer to begin with 3) You can actually get to just the edge of the range of a person with vastly superior movement 4) nothing else is waiting to kill you in that square 5) no one else could do the same job better by, say, running to a square with actual good terrain with a 1-2 range weapon equipped or just blitzkrieging the air units with your own air force on your own turn.

Note that the best games to be an archer (And we are defining that as 'Being of the Archer/Sniper class' not 'a bow user') in are 2 (Where they have 1-3 range normally and 1-5 when equipped with a bow) 4 (The AI tends to attack at range if they can, See: Brigid's joining chapter), 6 (Igrene and Klein do very well against the Dracoknight hordes, Keep in mind, this doesn't exclude them being horribly outdone by Aircalibur mages and anyone with an axe, just that it's better to be an archer there than say... 5), 10 (For Marksmen 1-3 range, Shinons superior stats, crossbows etc.) 11 and 12 Lunatic + (Modes that empahsis the player phase and lack of counter attacks, also 1-2 weapons are nerfed into oblivion, also archers are more defensive)

Now note that of them, 2 ignores the lack of melee range, 4 has the enemies preprogramed to attack at range, 6 still has them inferior, 10 requires them to get to tier-3 but a Crossbow at least alleviates their propblems. and 11 and 12 only have it on the highest, hardest most bullshit mode in the game.

This does not address the Archers biggest problems either. Warriors and Horsemen exist. who not only pack bows with all the advantages, but also melee weapons, and in the Horsemans case better movement.

The archer, along with the Armor Knight, showcases why IntSys are stupid about class balance to this day.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think Ellwood's animation would work really well with lances. I did find this, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgWXEEnxzQ

Yeah if you actually look closely, it's just Eliwoods head on Ephraims body, which is lazy and stupid. Which given the people who made it, is part the course.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Friend of yours?
Goodness no. He runs the Ragefest competitions on Serenes, my most famous memory of Markyjoe (besides his heavy waifuing of Sophia) is him saying perfectly loudly into his microphone "Mom I'm recording a lets play." And then followed it up by cutting out a chunk of gameplay, showing he was editing but decided "Me calling for my mother? that needs to be in this video"

Lotish posted:

Lazy I can see, but why stupid? Seems like a reasonable way to save some work if you just want a lance-wielding Eliwood.

Because it's completely inconsistent with Eliwoods actual design, you might as well just throw in Ephraims animation wholesale and recoloured it so it has red hair. Which also would have been doable. Or throwing in Eirika's animation for Lyn promoted and said "Hey it's okay, she has green hair!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's Harken. The game's data loads Harkens portrait for the village and then just hides it. You can debate that they decided at a later time to not go with Harken (Or didn't want to make a garbed Harken portrait) but as far as the game is concerned? that's actually Harken.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I will never not laugh at the Church of the Black Fang. The Pegasi, fine, Ilians who broke away and sought out the fang, the cavs and fighters? makes sense, the entire horde of Monks? Hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sorites posted:

Is anyone else shocked to learn how late into the game you can use low-level characters? I would never have imagined a Level 9 Guy dominating a segment of a map on Chapter 25, even with all circumstances rigged his way. That's one of the biggest surprises I've had this LP.

In FE7 and 8? oh absolutely the enemies are complete pussies in this game.

Now FE6?

Not so much

• Locked thread