Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Melth posted:

No one you fight in FE7 is a faceless mook, Batta is as close to that as the game gets.
Are you just talking about bosses? Because I remember mowing down a ton of faceless mooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I have to admit, I'm surprise it took into account how many times I reset the game then. Cool!

Also it's kind of fun seeing how things shape up for you and comparing with my games. Sain was one of my heavy hitters too, but I also routinely used Serra and Erk, and Lyn was always Queen poo poo of the Universe for me. Of course I never tried for max rank. Will got phased out by the Sniper later on though. You know who (and she probably won't matter).

You will not believe how much I grind the poo poo out of my medics. I never really cared about Priscilla though.
She has a horse though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

[img]http://lpix.org/1945650/7%2020%20Mopping%20Up.PNG
Looks like you got a broken screenshot there. (It's between Florina and Lyn leveling up).

I always tend to send Florina over those mountains alone to solo the shamans.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

2) I have several FE playing friends who aren't members of this forum but would be interested in this LP. Is there a good way to share it with them?

3) If possible, I think I'd like to add a table of contents to the introductory post so that people could easily jump around to the different chapters (I'd also like to make it possible to jump directly to the War Room sections on various topics to help people who want to know about that stuff in particular). Is there a way to do something like that?
2) You should probably put it up on lpix.org. Also, if you have it put up on LPArchive once it's finished, it'll be viewable by anyone.

3) Hit the # at the bottom left of the post you want to jump to, copy the url.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I always do a bit better with Eliwood when I focus on lances over swords. I don't think you need an S Rank to wield his ultimate weapon, anyway.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 20, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Wasn't there some project making a GBA-esque FE game as an actual standalone flash game or something so that they could get around hardcoded limitations? Whatever happened to that?
You mean Fire Emblem: Immortal Sword? Last I heard it was still being worked on.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

For some reason they're linking me to the top of each page.

Melth posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean. For me that's only happening with some of the links though. The others work just fine even though they were all copy pastes of the first one with the URLs replaced. I'll try to do some research on proper bbcodes and see if I can get to the bottom of that unless someone already knows why it might be happening.

Oh and I should be done writing up Chapter 14 in an hour or two.
It was the same for me so I looked into it. Try this format: Chapter 12 and The War Room Part 11 (Managing Early HHM Funds)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

Be prepared to repeat this argument infinitely when Nino shows up, also be glad you're not playing FE8 and having to explain Amelia and Ewan.
Those two join a hell of a lot sooner than Nino and even without the infinite grinding in the game they're pretty easy to get up to par.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Literally every time I've used her she became the dodgiest loving general, it's amazing. You need to baby her for like, a map, maybe two, and then she's fine to start contributing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

You know, why is it that you get two sword lords in this game and one who uses axes? It's a bit redundant. Wouldn't it make more sense if either Lynn or Eliwood used a different weapon? Sacae is all about the bows, so Lynn could use bows (and even gains them on promotion)! Or Eliwood is basically a Paladin without a horse anyway so have him use lances, maybe?

I dunno, it would add some variety other than SWORDS EVERYWHERE.
It's kind of weird because in FE6 he had an S in lances, not swords. But swords sell, so he gets a sword. :shrug:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

About archers: Don't forget Lyn, Dorcas and Bartre!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

You forgot Geitz.
Oh yeah, that guy I've never used before too.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

Anyone else feel the same way I do?
Maybe, but most players reset after losing a character.

You'd also have to reward them somehow if they manage to do well, or else people would just rush their characters into the middle of the enemies army and wait to die.

efb

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 2, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sorites posted:

But we're on the way now. Two pages ago we weren't on the way. The dams were holding.

Now it's inevitable.
It's like, two posts. :confused:

Edit: Geop's Wind Waker LP is doing sea shanties.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

A legit defend the castle walls map could be interesting, but you'd probably have to rework ballista stats. Have a wall lined with reworked ballista, magic circles (basically magic ballista), rocks to drop on the enemies, have them come at you with ladders (your melee units have to chop them up to stop enemies from coming up) and try to ram the gates. You'd probably have to get creative with the scripting though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

For the record, Marcus, Kent and Sain have almost double her Con. Lowen does have double. It basically kills her one advantage over Marcus, her 16 speed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Isadora situation makes me wary of using Con as a balancing factor between characters of the same class. If there were less variation - like, 1 point off the baseline either way - or just standardized per class instead of per character I'd probably be more on board.

Also, make it more interesting than "women always have less Con than men". Not to mention the situation with mounted rescues.

Dr Pepper posted:

Thankfully they've just dropped weapon weight into the dustbin.
That too.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FPzero posted:

I actually like weight and disliked its removal from Awakening (I didn't play 11 or 12) because after a while it felt like it didn't matter what weapons I was using, everything was just always going to hit.
I feel like weapon weight isn't the right solution to "every weapon feels the same". A better answer would be to diversify the weapons more. For example, leave the brave sword alone but exchange the brave axe for an axe that lowers the attacked unit's defense by 5, and the brave lance for a lance that lets your counterattack hit before the enemies attack.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

pichupal posted:

If I remember correctly, non-mounted units have an Aid of Con - 1, Male Mounted Units have an Aid of 25 - Con, and Female Mounted Units have 20 - Con? It's been a while since I was invested in FE7. So male mounted units get 5 extra Aid compared to females, which is why Isadora's low Con lets her rescue things.

Maybe it was balanced with Pegasus Knights in mind in FE6 and just carried over to Isadora somehow? I can't remember if there were female Cavaliers in FE6 or not.
No female cavaliers, but there were female Nomads and Wyvern Riders.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

That just makes the brave sword even better by comparison in exchange for making the other ones worse. Two hits is better than a slightly better single hit, and Vantage on a weapon is interesting but still not comparable to the sheer damage brave weapons do right now.
Against a target you can't one-round with a brave sword the axe might pull ahead, as the enemies defense would be lowered for your allies attacks, too. Not to mention the other stats of the weapon could make up for having a lesser special effect.

Regardless, the effects don't really matter, they were examples.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except the axe wouldn't pull ahead unless it is capable of dealing more damage in a single hit than the sword can in two. The difference is even greater if you're fast enough to double because a brave weapon would be hitting four times compared to the axe's two. It's a strict downgrade.
I'm sure I could come up with a (situational) scenario where the axe is better, but again that isn't the point.

Sorites posted:

Yeah, the underlying combat system isn't really deep enough to accommodate too much mechanical variety. You can't elect not to attack
Sure you can! Melth even did a section on it.

Sorites posted:

damage is high enough that a player-controlled character really should be two-hit-killing most enemies by midgame. So there's not much room for complexity.
Fair enough, characters in Fire Emblem do tend to become murdergods by the end of the game (or at least, the ones who make it on your end game team do). Setting it up so that weapon special effects have a decent impact still seems more interesting than trying to fix weapon weight mechanics, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hawkeye's not very good but at least he looks cool.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's been like 10 years since I played Hector Hard Mode so I had no idea he was on a timer.

You were right about the items you got from the reinforcements. You got Shine (900), Elfire (1,200), Nosferatu (3,200!) and Recover (2,250) for a total of 7,550. If you'd opened up the door before he left you'd have gotten a Silver Sword (1,500), Silver Lance (1,200), Silver Axe (1,000) and Silver Bow (1,600) for a total of 5,300. Looks like you got the better deal!

Re: Archer talk, I don't think they need to be able to counterattack at melee range to be useful. As long as they have a unique niche no one else can perform they'll be fine. In these games their only use is attacking at range 3 but that'll only last them through the midgame because the Longbow's stats just won't be able to keep up. Pegasus units are so frail bows are usually unnecessary and Wyverns are typically easier to kill with mages of any stripe. (And that's ignoring competition from other Bow Units like Rath, because the Longbow isn't exclusive to archers/snipers).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lotish posted:

I never understood why Archers in FE11 and 12 have even less movement than Hunters, on top of everything else.

Archers in other games usually have the advantage of much, much better range than other units. I like the FE2 implementation where they can hit stuff from up to five squares away. Anyone hack that into a GBA FE to see how it shakes out in actual play?
As I recall, FEGirls increases the range of Snipers to 3 squares instead of the usual 2. I don't know of any 5 square hacks, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't think the maps are really designed around having that kind of range on a common enemy unit. Advance wars balances it by not allowing long-range units to move and fire on the same turn, in this game it would be like giving every archer a 30+ use mini Bolting. You could never field a healer again, especially not a slow one like Serra.
By the time it becomes an issue, your healers are probably promoted units.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

As it is your Sain is probably going to hit the Strength Cap on Paladin, but probably not any of his other stats. If you want a few more points in your defenses or Speed maybe hold off and give Florina the Energy Ring, but I'd probably go with the Knight Crest*.

*Assuming I had efficiency in mind. As me though, nope, he's getting to 20 before he gets his Knight Crest, and he'll like it. :colbert:

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 13, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Eliwood starts with a D in lances. Same for the other two and their respective weapons.

Edit: D means you start with Javelins and Heavy Spear, which isn't bad.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 13, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Speaking of Eliwood, one other thing I've been toying with. What if Eliwood had lances in addition to swords? To reflect him being a "knight of Pherae", so to speak. Wouldn't that be neat? Heck, it even fits with his attack animation, as you could easily make a spear attack for him without changing it really.
I don't think Ellwood's animation would work really well with lances. I did find this, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgWXEEnxzQ

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

Yeah if you actually look closely, it's just Eliwoods head on Ephraims body, which is lazy and stupid. Which given the people who made it, is part the course.
Friend of yours?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure I've always had exactly one paladin (depending on which one turns out the best) on my end game team, ever since I was a kid. They are never my best unit on the field but they'll always be the most versatile. They're usually the first unit I send to deal with something unexpected - relatively balanced stats, high mobility, and versatile equipment leave them well equipped to handle almost anything so that my more specialized units can keep doing what they do. So they're a good class, they just aren't the bruisers that other units can be.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fatcat214 posted:

Earlier in the thread you said something about a Fire emblem tabletop. How exactly did that work? i've been tossing the idea around in my head for a while now, and i still don't see how it could work
Fire Emblem (especially the GBA games) is a fairly simple series, with fairly simple math. It isn't at all difficult to take the mechanics and just plop them on the table to play. The GM needs to be willing to make maps, you need to figure out a system for character creation, and you need to communicate with the other players to come up with plans. I made a troubadour for a game like that a couple of years ago.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lotish posted:

But do you randomly roll for +1s on level up, or do something like BEXP and have fixed gains?
it wouldn't be Fire Emblem without randomized stats. :colbert:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Though the entire drama around him marrying Louise never rang that true since you can have Eliwood and Hector marry random mercenaries or in Eliwood's case some random street dancer (as far as anyone else is concerned). Maybe Euturia is more uptight about that though.
Priscilla is from Etruria as well (though she was born in Ostia), and 2 out of 3 of her paired endings end with her and her would-be beaux parting company because their stations are too far apart. So that's probably what they were going for.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 15, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

As said before, the hopeful tone of the end of this arc is completely intentional irony. The half of the audience that got FE6 already know how Queen Hellene's change of heart turns out - she fails to get through to the king and is probably killed at some point, the king's abusive relationship with his son continues for years, and after a nearly successful assassination attempt right when he thought his father had finally accepted him, Zephiel snaps and decides to kill him first.

With Jaffar, all Zephiel knows is that some "villain" knocked him unconscious, and he woke up, confused, to the sounds of fighting and was forced to defend himself. The only iffy part is why Hellene and Murdock never told him the identities of his saviors, and honestly that doesn't spoil the plot anyway. They may have saved him from the Black Fang but they didn't save him from his father.

Calling it an "alternate universe fanfic" really misses the point of the arc.

Also, I'd go for Advance Wars.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Melth posted:

I mean yeah, that's what I said at first, but there were enough people saying in their opinion the run doesn't count without getting all the characters (which is how I usually play anyway) that I think I should go back and demonstrate how to do it that way.
Most of them were probably joking.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Would it be worth it to burn a pure water or Barrier to make sure key people can't be statused?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you aren't supporting Vaida/Wallace then I just don't know what to say.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dorcas' low speed may make sense, but that doesn't mean he should be noncompetitive. If anything it means that speed shouldn't be such an important stat - so you can have competitive slow characters.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Melth posted:

I've been thinking about going back and doing some proofreading, fixing any factual errors, and possibly revising the earlier chapters to have the same standardized format as the later ones among other things. On the other hand, I don't want to annoy people by Lucasing it up.
No one will mind typo and format fixing, don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kacie posted:

Omni, is your mod for FE 6 available for public consumption? I would like to give it a whirl, if it is. (Sorry if I should have asked in a different thread!)
I don't think it's finished yet; he sometimes posts updates on his progress in the Fire Emblem megathread, so you should keep an eye out there.

• Locked thread