Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
Nice playthrough so far one question: Do you play to recruit everyone?

Basically I'm asking if your getting Farina because she's known to screw with getting a good funds rank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lotish posted:

You know, it's kind of funny: In FE4, Kaga originally meant for Jamka to be an axe user but decided he liked him, so he gave him bows to make him more powerful.

To be fair in FE4 Axes where PRETTY bad, they weighted a ton of bricks and neither con (which didn't exist yet), nor strength reduced weight penalties, you could not use an Iron Axe without taking an 18 AS penalty (The Brave Axe was 12 weight but the only Brave Axe in Gen 1 can not reasonably be gotten unless you have a walkthrough, and Lex had a monoply on because he's mounted and you can't trade easily, FE4 has weird mechanics). And in FE4 the AI was REALLY stupid in that Enemy archers will attack player archers over pegasus knights for some reason, so Jamka probably is better off as an Archer than a Fighter honestly.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

At the archer convo, the largest problems with bows in fire emblem doesn't have to do with the concept of a 2 range weapon but rather the AI. Allow me to explain, the reason 1~2 range units can kill so many units on enemy phase because the Ai is basically programmed to go on the aggressive to the player, even if they do 0 damages and you kill them in one round. If the AI was actually intelligent enough not to be sucidal or stupid enough to attack bow units at range (like in FE4), archers wouldn't be any better or worth than non mounted-units. I'm not saying that they should actually do that because non-sucidal AI makes the game boring and frustrating, and AI that attacks archers at range makes the game seem poorly programed. But I do feel that perhaps the AI could be reevaluated to be less unfavorable to archers

Now to put my belated to 2 cents on the con discussion. The issue with con and weight as a whole is that weight penalties units in the single most centralizing aspect of the game: doubling. As the balance currently stands in order to do decent damage to your opponent, you need either truly ridiculous attack or enough speed to double and decent strength, and since no one on the series has even a remote chance to get enough offense to negate a.lack of doubling, fire emblem effectivoly makes it "you double or you don't exist". A decent way to balancing it would make doubling act as adept but that makes the game too luck based, and besides it makes the game slower and more frustrating.

In conclusion fire emblem has long since sacrificed balance game design for the fun of being able to sweep an army.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Aerdan posted:

Well, yes, but if you're cheating why not just give yourself infinite gold and be done with it?

Theirs a difference between entering a cheat and exploiting a glitch, it's the reason that speedruns take advantage of glitches, but not cheat codes, while I can understand that taking advantage of exploits is less "pure", and I completely understand why Melth doesn't want to take advantage of the mine glitch, but you aren't actually modifying the systems in any way when you use the mine glitch just taking advantaging of the developers oversights.

Honestly considering the facts mines are basically worthless unless your using the mine glitch, and that you get so few mines, it honestly creates an interesting a strategic choice of the when to use your mines. (Though the torch staff thing kind of ruins that).

Also was the mine glitch well known when the game first came out? Because if it was known before FE8 came out, it's rather surprising that the developers didn't fix it for FE8, considering that the glitch is far more exploitable there (Everyone using dark magic, the ability to repair your weapons, Myrrh using monster weapons etc.). Actually now that I think about it I wouldn't be surprised if not only they did know about, but expected players to use it, after all what other reason is there for Stone giving weapon EXP, and giving 5 weapon exp for that matter.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

This is more an argument of semantics than anything, really. Using a glitch in a single player game is still, by definition, cheating. To call it anything else is wrong. Whether or not cheating in a single player game matters is a completely different argument.

While I know I should drop the conversation, especially because I'm literally going into semantics right now I feel should point out that by the dictionary definition, act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination, glitches (or even cheat codes) in a single player experience aren't really cheating.

While exploiting glitches is certainly gaining an advantage, I'd argue you can't ever be "unfair" in a single player experience and your not lying or deceiving anyone when using glitches, I while I understand that glitches match some peoples definition of cheating, saying that glitches in a single player game match the dictionary definition is sophistry.

• Locked thread