Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Good lord. Your screenshots are horribly blurry and the aspect ratio is way off, even after you "fixed" them. Don't resize to anything other than an integer- 2x should be fine for a GBA game. Just use the emulator's built-in screenshot function (turn resampling off whenever you see it), and re-size in Irfanview. Or, record video and take screenshots from it with Irfanview. Either way will look better than what you have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I recently started playing this game myself (I've never finished it...), and I had to dump Sain very early on because the dude just would not gain speed. His strength was sky high, but I don't really care about that when he's getting doubled by everyone and their geriatric grandmother.... Sheesh.

Kent, on the other hand, just kept gaining defense (and speed), and a point of strength here and there, so I went with him and Lowen for my cavalier needs. Shame, really. I like Sain better as a character. Kent is kind of boring. For the "competent knight who serves as an adviser" role, I always preferred Seth. Or Frederick.

Anyway, I've never even thought to try to play for rankings, so I'll definitely be following this! Good job fixing the screenshots, by the way. They look much better now!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wow, I did not know you could trade with rescued characters while they were still being rescued! That's really cool. I'm learning so many things, including that doing ranking runs is definitely not for me, but it's still very entertaining to watch you do it. :D

That said, I have a small criticism. Please clean up your line spacing a bit, especially in your "War Room" segments. The forums don't do indents, so the only way to differentiate paragraphs is with a line break. Please put some line breaks in your longer walls of text. I lost my place several times reading your last "War Room" post because of the spacing. And I want to read it, because it's interesting!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I agree that your joke was not particularly funny and pretty obtuse to people who don't know this game backwards in forwards.

I've never even seen this chapter. :sweatdrop: I guess I take too long on that stupid Fog of War Map. (gently caress fog of War.)

A good time to drop in the punchline would have been when Lynn goes to attack him, since she would have had some unique dialog for sure. Something like "Nothing to say? Oh, you're not Marquess Araphen. Just some shmuck who looks like him. My mistake."

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

You know, why is it that you get two sword lords in this game and one who uses axes? It's a bit redundant. Wouldn't it make more sense if either Lynn or Eliwood used a different weapon? Sacae is all about the bows, so Lynn could use bows (and even gains them on promotion)! Or Eliwood is basically a Paladin without a horse anyway so have him use lances, maybe?

I dunno, it would add some variety other than SWORDS EVERYWHERE.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ya'll made good points. I still think it would be more interesting from a gameplay perspective if Eliwood used Lances instead of swords.

Oh well. We still got Ephraim I guess. And Hector is still awesome.

I feel I should note that I picked this game back up again. I left off a little farther than the LP is right now, on Eliwood mode. Not giving a poo poo about rankings of course, but I'll play along a bit.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

You had one broken image tag and you used the "If only I had more power" shot twice, instead of Hector's level up.

Still, good stuff! Also, after making it to that chapter last night, I have concluded that I'm probably never going to see the not-Guding Ring version of it. I like magic too much, Dorcas sucks, Bartre is just OK, and Guy NEVER seems to work out well for me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Melth posted:

My point wasn't just that he's rich, I said he'd been lucky too. Loads of other characters in this FE game have had rougher lives than him- Raven lost his whole family and all his wealth and status and had to become a mercenary just to survive. Nino has been raised in an abusive family of crazy murderer people. All but ten of Lyn's tribe were murdered before her eyes and then the rest of them rejected her for being a woman and then when she was left all alone a bunch of assassins came after her. Fiora was the most similar case to his since she lost her entire group of pegasus knights- but even she had it worse really. And the list goes on. In comparison, Harken lost many of his comrades and a man he looked up to in battle. And yeah, that's awful, but it's not in the same league as what happened to Lyn. And it does't even compare that badly to the huge numbers of commoners in the world who are going to lose several children and siblings to disease they could have paid for treatment for if they just had money, deal with chronic shortages of food, and do hard labor almost every day until they die fairly young. Not to mention many of them will probably be conscripted and either get killed or have to kill other people just like them for no reason that will ever make sense to them in the event of a war. Those people have hard lives. Harken is in the employ of the best guy in Elibe, is engaged to a woman who loves him, still has friends and colleagues, can expect not to lose most of his children if he has any, will probably live healthily to old age, and will have leisure and security along the way. Plus he's actually been able to do really meaningful things with his life rather than just try to get through another day and put food on the table for tomorrow. He's saved whole villages of Pheraens, as pointed out by Lowen. While what happened to him looks bad from our perspective, it's almost trifling in the context of his quasi-medieval world. These are Second Estate problems.

You're kind of missing the point, here. The point isn't that other people suffer more than Harken. The point is that Harken has still suffered. Yeah, he hasn't gone through nearly as much as Nino, or even a random commoner, and he hasn't lost everything by a long shot, but so what? Funny thing about depression: it isn't logical. Furthermore, you can't weigh one person's suffering against another's. Suffering is suffering. The fact that others may suffer more is really missing the point. Suffering basically stands alone.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

quote:

You used this image twice.

Seeing how the whole Bern arc resolves itself, I really don't get how Zephiel turned out the way he did in FE6. And it's not like that was retconned, either, because this game came out after 6 and the devs knew perfectly well what happens later.

I just finished this chapter myself, in Eliwood mode. I will not be using Nino.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Melth posted:

13 is an abomination.

13 is my favorite Fire Emblem. Fight me. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Melth posted:

I've been thinking about going back and doing some proofreading, fixing any factual errors, and possibly revising the earlier chapters to have the same standardized format as the later ones among other things. On the other hand, I don't want to annoy people by Lucasing it up.

Definitely do some proof-reading. If nothing else, to make it look nice for the LP Archive. There were a bunch of places where you put the wrong image, for instance. Fixing those will make everything look nice and sparkly for posterity!

Also, regarding this:

Melth posted:

If you think your favorite FE game doesn't get enough respect and you're passionate about that game, I suggest doing something like making an LP about it and why it's great so you can really go in detail and also show us what you're talking about. You'll probably never convince me that any other game is the match of FE7, but I for one am willing to hear you out.

I would love to LP Awakening, but doing such things on the 3DS is a difficult (and expensive) undertaking.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Melth posted:

True. Ninian/Eliwood doesn't even get as much canon support as Lilina/Roy and Sumia/Chrom. However, I think you'd agree there's more support for it than for any other possible Eliwood pairing. Even Lyn seems to ship the two of them. So if we're going to say any Eliwood pairing is anything close to official, it's got to be that one.

Not to mention, if you get those two to A rank it literally changes the ending. You don't just get a paired bio-card like the rest of the cast; you get a slightly different ending. None of his other supports do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Onmi posted:

Only in the sense that Ninian doesn't go home, which would be kind of hard to have her do if she was going to be a mother. Lyn and Fiora still get [Tactician] Ending scenes where he names the children.

Hmm, true. But it is a bit unusual. I can't recall endings changing like that in response to support levels in other FE games, though that could be because my memory is terrible.

• Locked thread