Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dreadwroth posted:

Yeah I love the flavor text for this game, it's pretty creative and funny. I think the devs are coming close to making a MMO that is basically a parody of MMOs but still crazy detailed. Or something, it really feels like some kind of subtle joke or something, and I like it.
PS: What the gently caress is up with those bloody huge stone hands?
PPS: I totally rolled a Rakshasa, elves can suck it.
PPSS: Where the gently caress are the dwarves at?

I rolled a kitty too because one of the skin colour choices resembles my girl cats coat. BTW, ask Sir Cloth about the town, his description of the elves cracked me up. The skill system is a lot like the old morrowwind games, you do stuff -> get better at it.

Any of you playing as a cow? I have a cow armour of trampling going to a good home if someone wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I love Sir Cloth's opinion of the elves, that was not what I was expecting in a MMO to say the least. It feels like the devs like to subvert certain MMO tropes, and it's pretty clever.
Catman supremacy!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dreadwroth posted:

Yeah I love the flavor text for this game, it's pretty creative and funny. I think the devs are coming close to making a MMO that is basically a parody of MMOs but still crazy detailed. Or something, it really feels like some kind of subtle joke or something, and I like it.
PS: What the gently caress is up with those bloody huge stone hands?
PPS: I totally rolled a Rakshasa, elves can suck it.
PPSS: Where the gently caress are the dwarves at?

yea I mean in the starting town the dude basically says the elves blew themselves up trying to make their dicks bigger

game owns

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I gave cowhood a try for a few hours, and while it's fun and ridiculous I definitely couldn't put up with the loss of NPC merchants and storage access early on in the game. Luckily some kind soul offered me a word of power to turn back, so I was able to save all my cow de-transformation quest items for another day. Along with some apples and bronze coins to save for those NPC access quests.

People who are playing cows right out of the tutorial: where are you selling your loot? I think I talked to just about everyone on the first map, but still had some equipment types I couldn't unload. Are you just tossing it? I guess you could still make an okay income off of other vendor trash.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I can't find the Hang Out option, where is it? Is there a requirement?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

I can't find the Hang Out option, where is it? Is there a requirement?

Yeah, it needs friendship levels for (I think) all NPCs that will do it.

EDIT: That is, I think every NPC that will hang out needs a certain friendship level to do it, not that you have to befriend every single NPC in order to hang out at all. I can English good. :v:

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

quote:

If you want to avoid killing sentient creatures, it’s pretty important to be able to tell them apart from animals! This is usually pretty easy. Goblins are all sentient, tigers are all animals, etc, etc.

But mantises, well, some are psychic mantises gifted with extreme intellect. But they look like regular mantises. What to do?

I pinged Anthony Cook (who made the mantis for me), and we came up with a solution that fits the game vibe well: hats. Lore-wise, sentient mantises were created by a mad wizard. They’re pretty insecure about their place in the world. Giving them hats seemed to reinforce that idea: they’re using the trappings of other sentient races to validate their identities.

Reading Dev's blog is just as entertaining as playing the actual game :allears:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Does the Vocabulary skill actually do anything? Because I can't stop playing ghetto Word Whomp and I'd like for all the xp I'm getting to actually have a point.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

From the http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Game_updates/2014-11-01

quote:

You now earn Vocabulary XP when you play the word hunt game. Vocabulary skill will be a prerequisite for Oratory skill, which will unlock various social activities and will ultimately be a prerequisite for bard-related abilities. But in the short term, Vocabulary skill is just a number that goes up if you play.

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012
Can you have more than one summon/pet/golem out at the same time? This is important.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

In as username. You have to see someone to add them to friends.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This looks like a totally different game, how old is this screenshot ??

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I saw someone with a rat and golem last night, so I believe yes.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I need a good healing kit, but all the vendors I've looked up require a faction grind to unlock the ability to buy it form them. Is there anyway to get the good healing kit without faction grinding it, because i would really like to unlock mentalism.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AppliedPhilosophy posted:

Can you have more than one summon/pet/golem out at the same time? This is important.

I don't think there's a limit, except maybe components for necromancy and stable slots for animals. I've seen people with two rats or a rat and a golem. If there is a limit, it might be like Animal Handling where you can only have pets out while having the relevant skillset equipped (so no zombie army if you're not an active necromancer, or whatever).

Bahanahab posted:

I need a good healing kit, but all the vendors I've looked up require a faction grind to unlock the ability to buy it form them. Is there anyway to get the good healing kit without faction grinding it, because i would really like to unlock mentalism.

You can greatly speed up faction grinding by using higher level/value versions of whatever they're asking for. Someone who likes prepared food will get a huge jump from some lv30 player food you bought from the used tab at the inn, the weapon shop guy likes higher level sword vendor trash a lot more than level 0 crap, etc.

Otherwise you'll probably have to bribe another player to buy one for you.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Jackard posted:

This looks like a totally different game, how old is this screenshot ??
It's from 2012, back then the only elf models that developer found were the ones with skimpy clothing and high heels.
So he came up with whole backstory of them being sex addicts to justify it, hence the lore and ingame jokes.

Here's him explaining that http://eldergame.com/2011/07/alpha-art-woes-sex-crazed-elves

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

On the other hand, the current face models are the stuff of nightmares. I'd upload a gif but my launcher is broken again :laffo:

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Bahanahab posted:

If you go to Eltibule, there is a vendor who is in a house east of the main keep/goblin dungeon, on the edge of the water across from the waterfall who sells all first aid and armor patch kits with no faction requirement. Bring 12 potatoes for that vendor's favor if you want. She gave me a blue pair of gloves and shitload of gardening exp.

If you do not know how to get there, there is a portal from the far west side of the Serbule map right behind the houses where the friendly psychic mantises are.

Also, its really easy to get favor with Joeh the weapon seller, if you get your cooking to level 5 you can turn pork shoulder into 2 bacons each and he eats that poo poo up at higher than 1:1 favor.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 23, 2015

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I'm having way too much fun with this game. Still stumbling around outside killing spiders / pigs, getting owned by tigers. I keep hearing there is a Crypt below the first town, but can't find it for the life of me.

As of now I'm mostly Sword / Archery, i'd like to do Fire Magic / Sword without swapping weapons, but thats easy enough to do in combat as it stands.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 23, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

onesixtwo posted:

I'm having way too much fun with this game. Still stumbling around outside killing spiders / pigs, getting owned by tigers. I keep hearing there is a Crypt below the first town, but can't find it for the life of me.

It's behind the town. Go waaay south and a bit east until you start seeing skeletons. Watch out for giant mantises, they are worse than tigers. (The friendly mantis for the quest is nowhere near here, he's north.)

Also you can learn Animal Handling from a shrine out front at the crypt. :toot: Don't remember if you need Charm Rat from the noob cave to learn it, but you definitely need Charm before you can actually tame anything.

EDIT: On a related note, if anyone actually understands the pet stats and leveling system please let me know. My AH skill is 5 or so but my rat is level 10 and who knows what some of these numbers mean.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 23, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

mushroom_spore posted:

[The crypt is] behind the town. Go waaay south and a bit east until you start seeing skeletons.
If you go northeast of town there is a portal at the bottom of a lake leading to some sewers, and those sewers also lead to the crypt. But they are super boring.

E: Finally got past the launcher and I can login, but now the game won't let me past the loading screen after character selection. Chat showed up once though.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 23, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
That's where the lake portal goes? I half expected it to be some elemental hell dungeon. I've had this sewer rat quest sitting in my journal for days. :downs:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

this looks really goofy and im installing it right now. fo' free.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Nice, thanks! I'll go into that sewer to clear out that rat quest, and get to the Crypt entrance to get AH going.

Now if only I could pickup grapes yet..

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

in as Eidolon!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bahanahab posted:

I got mentalism for free without a first aid kit. Just meditate for a while at the altar/crystal thing behind him and he gives you mentalism. I can't log in to check at the moment - I'm hanging out with the mantid guy for 4 hours ambushing small animals :)

onesixtwo posted:

Nice, thanks! I'll go into that sewer to clear out that rat quest, and get to the Crypt entrance to get AH going.

Now if only I could pickup grapes yet..

Buy a saw for 75g from the gardener lady, then you can forage oak trees (which is favour for someone else) and gets you enough forage eventually to pick up grapes. I cheated though because I found grapes and some feathers on a shop 'buy used' tab which the game is ok with you using to finish quests. Personally I find it's logical but most MMOs seem to frown on it.

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012

mushroom_spore posted:

I don't think there's a limit, except maybe components for necromancy and stable slots for animals. I've seen people with two rats or a rat and a golem. If there is a limit, it might be like Animal Handling where you can only have pets out while having the relevant skillset equipped (so no zombie army if you're not an active necromancer, or whatever).

Brb downloading. I hope to solo things I'm not supposed to before the day is out.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

holy poo poo getting around the sewer crypts is miserable with one or two people, and I managed to get undead aids as well.

That means I get a fireball lich popping up behind me every minute - at least she's got a good sense of humour.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

I'm running around autopsying chickens and I have no idea what I'm doing but it's fun and this fuckin weird game has some amazing descriptions/dialogue

In as Holocausplay

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I knew it, your name was too good to be a civilian.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Desideratus posted:

autopsying chickens

I love that this levels up your Dinosaur Anatomy skill.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

E: Anyone that wants to level Foraging, grab a Handsaw for 75g from the gardener in the starting town (marked with a green dot) then head to the red area and look for oak wood, tends to spawn in threes:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 24, 2015

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Welcome to my personal hell; how can I help you today?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I tried to play this game and the tutorial turned me into a cow, then someone walked up and milked me. What the gently caress

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
What the hell, I've been infected with lice....

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Syndlig posted:

It's you! You milked me!

Well. That should be the thread title really.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bahanahab posted:

What the hell, I've been infected with lice....

Get friendly with Lawara in the starter cave and do the 'check for lice' hang out, she will give you a delousing comb.

I hit the first bug I've seen tonight (sent feedback of course) when I right clicked on some mushrooms in the sewers. It auto pathed me outside the sewer and I was standing in limbo on top of a pipe (the sewer) in mid nothingness. I wasn't planning on going back to the start cave but at least the stuck teleport works.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the auto-pathing in this game is super broken sometimes. It's pretty common for me to click a mushroom or a monster and my character will immediately turn and run in the exact opposite direction for a minute or so, then stop and do nothing.

Has anyone been able to confirm whether "hang out" still repeats automatically without having to talk to the NPC again? I'd read it was supposed to work that way, but of course stuff changes. I thought I totaled four hours offline since I last completed a thing, but I could have been short.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

this game is relaxing and I had a good time playing it earlier. can you really only add someone to friends if they are next to you though? i dunno how to find goon friends (although one of you found me earlier!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

You have to be close enough to punch them, its super annoying.