Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
THIS IS NOT A DETHY ANY LONGER

At 4:27 AM EST, an unauthorized breach of the CIA's central database was detected. This breach allowed sensitive, classified materials to be extracted; this data must be recovered quickly and quietly, and the CIA has authorised terminal sanctions to ensure this occurs.

You are one of seven hackers with the skill, the tools, and the motives to have done this hack, and it's only a matter of days before the CIA liquidates you all to be safe. Before the CIA tracks down your physical locations, you must act. You must find the ones responsible, or they will implicate the rest of you and fade into the shadows, leaving you to face the CIA's wrath.

This is a seven-player mafia game, with very traditional roles and no set-up gimmicks.

The thread will follow standard mafia rules:
  • Day phase and night phase will last at most 24 hours. Night phase will last at least 12 hours. If I'm not here, deadlines are floating.
  • Lynches will require a majority vote.
  • No out-of-thread communication, except for scum.
  • Don't edit your posts.
  • No quoting mod PMs.
  • No fake day actions, truth or dare, Toxxing, or other things that go against the spirit of mafia.
  • The thread will be open at night. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves or not as you see fit.
  • There will not be modkills for lurking due to the small game size, but if you lurk excessively I will ban you from ever playing in a game I run again. Please only sign up if you're able to play.
Player List:
  1. Ernie.
  2. Grandicap
  3. Hal Incandenza
  4. Mills
  5. Poque
  6. Somberbrero
  7. True and Real

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Game is now under construction, will open thread back open once rework is done.

Construction over, sign-ups are a go!

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 16, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Awesome, I've got a few recruiting PMs out, so we'll see how we do.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

I was flatteringly lied to so I've come.

No post restrictions aside from trying to be kind.

I never lie as a mod (Ecco!).

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mills posted:

This is a fine player list of non-lurkers and content-posters and I suggest we keep it that way with our last recruit.

Working on that!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

And that's the roster!

Role PMS will go out in the next 30 minutes, and I will reopen the thread then, and never close it again!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

TO: Internal Security Director, Central Intelligence Agency
SUBJECT: Mainframe Security Breach

Sir, per your request, the follwing is a high-level overview of this morning's breach. At 4:27 AM EST, a dual-channel intrusion into our outside contractor payroll system was utilized as the initial penetration of our systems. Over the next 45 seconds, the hacker or hackers proceeded to leapfrog from server to server, with the breach ending at our Clandestine Personel server. Several files were access and presumably downloaded, and the breach was cut off at the source.

Based on the methodology of the attack, the specific systems accessed during the breach, and the skill requiredm we know that the hackers involved likely are among the following hackers (note, these hackers' identities are not at this time known, just their handles): hal_incandenza, p0que, true_and_real (once known as D1gn0l), grandicap, S0mberbrer0 (knwon as S0mber on some Internet dark sites), M1lls, and 3rn13.

In depth dossiers for each hacker will be sent in follow-up e-mails as they are compiled and reviewed, but the nature of these hackers makes details scarce at best...

Role PMs have been sent out; D1 starts now. The deadline is set for :siren:11 PM EST Tomorrow:siren:, or roughly 24 hours from now.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mills posted:

I would support a 24 hour deadline extension given how lazy I am feeling right now and that our conversations haven't been stunted and that Hal has disappeared.

For D1 only, I'll allow it. Deadline is extended to tomorrow; if you disagree with the extension, you always the option of hammering early!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mills posted:

It's a thin line, but if mine is against the spirit of the rules, then faking any day action probably is. idk.

Mod Note

My interpretation is that faking a day action in the thread, like a vig, is against the spirit of the game because it stops discussion. People wait for the action to resolve, when there is no action to resolve. Many people think they have to, that if an action occurs that they need to wait for a flip/whatever before they continue posting.

Claiming a fake day action and/or result, on the other hand, does not stop discussion. Instead, it's just another lie told in a mafia game as a part of the ongoing discussion.

Not trying to get into a long derail about what is and isn't in the spirit of mafia, but in my games a faked day action is punishable, claiming a fake day action is not, and above is my reasoning why.

End Mod Note

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

For most high-level hackers, they lead an entire life online. But there's a difference between living an online life, and only living an online life. Especially in times of stress, they need to find outlets to relax.

Which is why, if you looked for the nation's third most accomplished freelance hacker at 9 o'clock tonight, you'd find him belly-up at Juicy Lucy's strip club and bar in Phoenix, AZ. They don't know him as 3rn13. Here, they know him as Jerome, a higher than average tipper with wandering hands but lacking the balls to be a really problem for the girls.

Most of the girls knew him and would stop by to say hi and try to sell a dance. But at 9, there's a new dancer on his arm, laughing at his bad jokes and throwing back shots he paid for. Her name's Candi, and she's promising him a whole new kind of ride if he'll pay for the private session. In his coat pocket, his phone buzzes. He's found a clue on who hit the CIA mainframe, but he's too distracted at the moment to notice.

At 11:30, if you looked for the CIA's top solo wet-works agent, you'd find her behind the Juicy Lucy in clear heels and a mini skirt. In a few minutes, someone inside will find Jerome's body and they'll all wonder who that Candi girl really was. But for the moment, she has the time to scan 3rn13's phone.

By midnight, the report will be in Langley. 3rn13 wasn't responsible for the Breach, but he was looking for who was and there were leads to follow. And the woman whose name, for tonight, was Candi is left cursing the difficulty in removing so much body glitter after an operation. She'd prefer grease paint.

~

Ernie, Vanilla Town has been 404'd on D1. You have 24 hours to submit any night actions. Remember, thread stays open, feel free to chat and poo poo.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mills posted:

thread open for nights?

Yep. There's some cases where I can see why it should be closed, but in most games I think it's better open.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mills posted:

since we know he is reading but cannot post, i think we should take some time to discuss why we all dislike ernie

Ernie, if they do this you may dead post smilies during N1 in response.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Snippet of Transcript - Prisoner #86753-09 Interrogation #007

*sound of water splashing in the background*

Voice One: Mr. Incandenza, This really is not necessary.

*sounds of gurgling*

Voice One: It's a simple question, and one you should want to answer. We receive an anonymous tip to check your home computer... oh, let him up, he should hear this.

*water stops, coughing fit heard*

Prisoner #86753-09: *cough* ... fascist fucks... *cough*

Voice One: Yes, yes. Now, as I was saying, we get a tip and check your computer, and what do we find? Confidential files stolen two days ago. Now, these files are incomplete, so we know you have a partner, and he must be the one who tipped...

Prisoner #86753-09: No, I'm innocent, I tell you, I di...

*slapping sound*

Voice One: ... stop lying. You were betrayed by your partner, so just give us his name.

Prisoner #86753-09: *softly sobbing* I don't have a... a partner. I'm innocent...

Voice One: *sighs* Ok, put him back down for another round...

~

Hal Incandenza, Vanilla Town has been removed from the game on N1. The deadline is set for D2 is set to 11 PM EST, on Sunday the 22nd. The extra time is due to the weekend, but as always you have the option of hammering early if you so desire.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

MOD NOTE

Given the small player size, the fact that some people didn't realize the deadline was today, and the stellar posting that y'all put in yesterday after the extension, I'm extending the deadline to :siren:tomorrow the 23rd at 11 PM EST:siren:. And thank all of you for the posting quality yesterday, I've really enjoyed the game!

END MOD NOTE

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

Byers, I hope you're going to run another DW scenario at some point. You've got me hungering for more and I'm not really around people I think would be creative enough to make it cool IRL

I've got a couple ideas...

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Domestic UAV Operation Summary
Operation Authorized – Code Black

Target:
S0mberbrer0

Redacted, L-Shaped Warehouse on East Side of Location

Attachment
UAV Onboard Recording

Addendum
Wreckage at drone strike site casts doubt on the culpability of target in event designated The Breach. Kill confirmed on Target. Operation reclassified Top Secret – UV Clearance.

~

Somber, Vanilla Town has been 404'd on D2.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

code:
establishing connection...
masking subnet...
logging on...

One message waiting. Access message? Y/N

> Y

Receipt of information confirmed. Identities of true_and_real and grandicap leaked to American intelligence
services as accomplishes to current prisoner hal_incandenza.

Payment of $1 million wired to provided account for designee p0que. Payment of $1 million held in escrow
for designee M1lls, minus expenses for follow-up trip. Upon completion of secondary objective, current and
additional payments will be delivered to designee M1lls.

The Jorn Corporation thanks you for your services.
~

His name was West. He'd pierced into the very heart of the most secure of networks, into Langley itself, and walked away unfettered. He'd proven himself as the best hacker in the world as M1lls, and now he'd prove that he was better. That he was more.

P0que had been happy to take the money for the hack and disappear, but West was not going to go quietly. As the plane taxied, he thought ahead to Berlin. There was a man in Berlin, a man whose true name per the files obtained in the Breach was Cristophe Garb. West was going to find him and kill him. M1lls was the greatest hacker in the world. West would become its greatest assassin.

Diqnol, Town Doc, and Grandicap, Vanilla Town have been endgamed. As Town does not have a majority, :siren:Scum have won!:siren:

Mills and Poque, Scum Goons, take a bow!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

Ah, gently caress. Good game, guys. You played pretty loving well.

You all played well; I asked for no lurkers, and I feel like you all delivered. That was by far the most intense D1 I have ever seen.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Post-Game Thoughts:
  • I like the idea of small games, but 7 players is too small. It eliminates the ability for town to make a single mistake before being in EXLO.
  • There needs to be something to trigger discussion on D1, I think. Look at this game, and how it picked up with the deadline extension. That small nudge was all it took to make an average D1 into something really, really nice.
  • Again, all of you stepped up and delivered. Town may not have been on scums trail, but it wasn't from lack of trying. Overall, this is the best game of mafia top to bottom I've seen on SA. While I feel the need to extend the player list to more than 7, this game proved the worth of pulling in top shelf quality players.

True and Real posted:

I protected Poque n1 :bang:

I laughed when I saw your protect choice.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

If y'all are interested, my next game will flow from this one in terms of flavor, and will be built shortly. It's called The Kill. Player size is going to be under 15, with short days again and a bit more in terms of varied roles but still relatively simplified.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Diqnol, I just got your submitted N2 action. Thread, enjoy:

Diqnol posted:

protect Poque

Both nights!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Good game everyone, thanks Byers, I liked the "flavor"

Thanks!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mills posted:

How many more games will have to occur where you don't see the tell before you tell me what you thought it was. :shrug:

Mills, I'll make you scum next game, and if he doesn't see it he can promise to tell you afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mills posted:

You have too much time on your hands. If you decide the tell doesn't work in the future, I'd be interested to hear what you thought it was. I guess I can't expect you to tell me while you think it's useful. I don't think tells exist for me though~

When Mills is scum and I read a post of his, my computer starts playing Graduation. It's an obvious scum tell when I hear "Good Morning" start up.

• Locked thread