Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

swamp waste posted:

matching the QTEs to the normal inputs.

This is huge because in normal play the brain doesn't go "oh poo poo a pit, i need the a button to jump" your brain goes "jump mothafucka! Wheee!"

When qtes use actual button prompts on screen it does 2 things

it fucks up your brain and stuns your fingers while you try and think about the buttons you've forgotten in play

It makes you stop looking at what is actually going on in the cut scene which was so important to include over actual gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crosscontaminant posted:

current zeitgeist that because someone bought a game they're entitled to all sixty hours of gameplay even if they're a dribbling idiot with three fingers. If you don't agree with that, then you won't agree with him.

Someone is my family is very disabled and can't control games that require more user imput/reaction time than pokemon and he's very bummed that getting passed the title screen is all he's capable of in most games because he grew up loving them before his motor control devolved to where it is now. Games should have accessibility modes including playing themselves to completion so that users can decide how they want to experience the content they bought. make these modes not count for unlocking content in standard play and not count for trophies or whatever if you care about the sanctity of gaming or whatever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Designing every game to 'play itself to completion' would be a significant and costly effort in alot of cases. It's definitely a worthy goal to aim for and stuff like automatic easy in Bayonetta is great for that reason, but I wouldn't hold up every game, especially those made by smaller studios, to that standard. How could Team Meat have made Super Meatboy disabled-user friendly on the budget they had? They could've included a prerecorded playthrough for each level I guess but how would that functionally be any different to looking up an LP of it on youtube?

its different because when its your game you control what the game does. if you want ryu vs ken in guile's stage you can do it instead of waiting for a video to get made. if you're playing gta you pick the order the missions are in.

I agree that there will always be examples of games that are impractical to have accessibility functions in, especially multiplayer and indy games, where the resources aren't available, but for major publishers a lot of game testing done nowadays is automated . that technology can probably be adapted to help people play.

i also wouldn't fixate on games just playing themselves, i meant that options should run the gamut, from simplified features, as you mention, to control schemes that account for having less than 2 fully functional hands.

VVV

if you can't beat or don't like a part of a game but will like what's after it why shouldn't you get what you want? not everyone has the same idea of fun

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 28, 2015

• Locked thread