Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Revengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well if we're gonna put indie games into the mix, Wings of Vi has probably the absolute best designed Final Bossfight I've ever played in a 2D platformer.
It's hard as nails, forces you to use literally everything you have learned throughout the entire game, and requires you to have 100% focus throughout the entire fight, but it is completely fair. Every attack has a tell and a pattern, and is avoidable if you react fast enough.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm surprised nobody has argued for MMO bossfights here. I haven't played MMO's in like 5-6 years, but they usually had some real thought put into a lot of those fights.
Disclaimer: Speaking mostly from WoW and Rift experience.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The fact that people are basically just using action platformers or cinematic beat'em ups as having the best boss fights here might lead credence to the argument that some types of games are easier to make good/interesting fights for.

Personally I never liked the cinematic stuff like they use in Bayonetta, God/Gears of war and the likes. I much prefer games where you are 100% in control of your character during the fights, even if it makes them less flashy(See Serious Sam, the Zelda games etc etc...).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
More games need to take the Serious Sam approach to boss fights in my opinion. :colbert:

• Locked thread