Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Most of them are, but I'll try to think of some I liked.

-I haven't played it myself because I haven't played WoW in a long time, but Kargath Bladefist from their new raid looked pretty cool. It's in a gladiator arena, and he's constantly running around swinging his giant sword hand and raising pillars of fire from the ground while these jungle cats run at you, and there's a mechanic where he grabs people and tosses them into the stands, where they have to go beat up all these drunken audience members who are throwing bombs and booze and poo poo at the people in the arena. The whole thing has a gauge of "Excitement" where you can get the crowd to root for you by doing stuff like getting Kargath to run into his own fire, and it buffs your stats the more pumped up the crowd is. It looked pretty creative.

-Arkham City had Mr. Freeze, which was sorta the old trope of "use all the things you've learned throughout the game on this", but done in a really cool way.

-In Monster Hunter pretty much everything is a boss fight, but for sheer spectacle Jhen Mohran stands out. He's a whale dragon you fight on a ship, and you have to use cannons and balista and stuff to try and fend him off as he tries to ram you. There's also a huge drill you can use to stab him through the mouth if he gets in front of the boat. Then there's a second phase where the boat gets stuck, and you just have to try to kill him as he slowly advances towards you, and there's really good music too. It's kinda dull after you farm him for a while, but the first time it's crazy.

-Guacamelee! has a pretty cool final boss, because you defeat him by piledriving meteors into his face.

-This probably doesn't count as "modern" but anything from MGS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread