Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, I've been noticing a lot of video games recently seem to have two recurring flaws. One, they're too loving short and yet cost 50-60 dollars for some reason. But that's another topic. Two, all bosses or the very final boss is a Quick Time Event.

Dying Light? Your final fight is with an armless dude and you hit 10 buttons. Shadow of Mordor? You beat Sauron, the Lord of the god drat Rings, within the span of 10 seconds and 5 button presses. And I hear that The Order: 1886 also ends itself with a QTE instead of anything satisfying. I thought the whole point of a final fight was to use everything you learned in the game and have a good time. I don't understand how making you watch a cutscene where some goofy evil bastard who takes himself too seriously monologues and occasionally you have to press the A or X button a few times is fun. Do you guys know why this is the case? Is it really that hard for people to beat a video game that they gotta make the bosses easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Looper posted:

Play Platinum games

I do, though. Maybe I should have made the title "Why are modern Western boss fights so lovely?"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

have western games ever had good boss fights

I can think of a few, but they're mostly just platformers like Sly Cooper or RPGs such as Baldur's Gate 2. I guess Nippon wins.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I've also seen articles where game journalists get upset at the concept of a boss fight. I wonder if that contributes to anything. I bet if I posted this on some shithole like NeoGAF or The Escapist, I'd find idiots coming out of the woodwork to say "Oh, boss fights aren't cinematic. They're a relic of the past."

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 16, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Oh, and the game journalists really seem to dislike Japan in general too. Remember all those articles about how Japan was "falling behind" the West? Yeah, all those Super Smash Bros and 3DS sales are just flukes. People totally hate Japan.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Like, you can have a difficult area be your final test if that makes more sense for your game. Dishonored had a nice enough final area for a High Chaos run, with lots of dudes and traps to evade. But I don't get the mentality of people who look at Senator Armstrong and think "Yeah, I wish this was a cutscene. This isn't fun at all."

^The 3DS is going strong, at least, but I think that's because Sony is too inept to compete in the handheld market.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

but but but my game is ~*art~*!!! pay special attention to the vaguely libertarian 7th grade level analysis of American history

I'm having flashbacks to Bioshock: Infinite and that lovely fight with the ghost mom now, thanks.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

I call upon Shiva (either the Final Fantasy one or the actual Hindu god will do, I'm not picky) to end these joyless people as well as Charlie Brooker.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
"Oh god, I have to stop killing faceless goons and fight a tough enemy with creative mechanics. gently caress this stupid piece of poo poo."- Charlie Brooker, inbred British idiot.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Thank God other idiots go to Kotaku so I can look upon their works and despair without giving them click money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

NuttO posted:

thought this was a cool thread, but then the op started insulting charlie brooker. that's real messed up imo

I really like Black Mirror and his other comedy stuff, but that was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

• Locked thread