Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

people liked warrior

I fuckin loved Warrior when I was 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
Lex Luger was more over than Roman Reigns.

Mizdow the comedy jobber is more over than Roman Reigns.

Buff Bagwell was and likely still is more over than Roman Reigns (because he's Buff and also The Stuff).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kawalimus posted:

Cena got bigger boos at WM in 2006 than Reigns will probably get, and they stuck with him. Without the threat of something like WCW I don't think they are going to waver from "their guy" unless things become absolutely dire.

Yeah and he'd been champion for a year, where he was majority cheered with boos starting up, And then continuing into most of 2006 he got cheered with the exception of One Night Stand. I mean he's boo'd pretty exclusively now, but back then adult fans were still with him 2008 onwards is when the boos became heavier and heavier.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Onmi posted:

I feel a bit bad for Reigns actually... dude's hosed now, when he's booed out of Wrestlemania, and on the Raw after, it's gonna be held against him, He's being Luger/Warrior'd.

I doubt it. But once they get away from the Wrestlemania crowds that's when the real test starts.

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

I doubt it. But once they get away from the Wrestlemania crowds that's when the real test starts.

Extreme Rules is in Chicago. So scratch that one.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Onmi posted:

Yeah and he'd been champion for a year, where he was majority cheered with boos starting up, And then continuing into most of 2006 he got cheered with the exception of One Night Stand. I mean he's boo'd pretty exclusively now, but back then adult fans were still with him 2008 onwards is when the boos became heavier and heavier.

I don't remember it this way but maybe I'm wrong. I know he wasn't despised before being champion and got huge cheers when he came to Raw. But shortly after that he got REAL annoying and the crowds booed him worse and worse. The anti-Cena sentiment seemed to peak at ONS2 and was never quite as bad after though it still was present and sometimes strongly.

Now that I'm remembering I think the feud with Kurt Angle is when people really sided with the heel against Cena(I remember Angle cutting a promo saying he hated Jesus and black people but that people cheered him anyway). Then HHH decided he wanted to feud with Cena himself because Angle wasn't doing his job as a heel well enough or something. But then they cheered HHH too. And like I said this heavy anti-Cena sentiment lasted through ONS2 when RVD won the title off him.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Vince changed his mind day of and had Sting lose because, dammit, WCW never wins.

I sent in a mailbag question about this to WO last week, but Dave hasn't got to it yet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kawalimus posted:

I don't remember it this way but maybe I'm wrong. I know he wasn't despised before being champion and got huge cheers when he came to Raw. But shortly after that he got REAL annoying and the crowds booed him worse and worse. The anti-Cena sentiment seemed to peak at ONS2 and was never quite as bad after though it still was present and sometimes strongly.

Now that I'm remembering I think the feud with Kurt Angle is when people really sided with the heel against Cena(I remember Angle cutting a promo saying he hated Jesus and black people but that people cheered him anyway). Then HHH decided he wanted to feud with Cena himself because Angle wasn't doing his job as a heel well enough or something. But then they cheered HHH too. And like I said this heavy anti-Cena sentiment lasted through ONS2 when RVD won the title off him.
He was getting booed right from January 2006 quite a bit against Edge too. That RAW with the live sex celebration, Cena comes out to cut a promo with plenty of boos. Random note, wasn't Triple H a babyface during his feud with Cena? Or maybe technically a tweener.

I don't remember a time when Cena wasn't getting heavily booed.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 24, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kawalimus posted:

It was spotty, he was cheered fine even cutting promo's against Angle, but the further along he went he got put against more and more "Popular guys who the fans like more" which would be Jericho and Christian and the boos got heavier, especially as he was perceived as ending Jericho's career. Against Edge however he was cheered to hell and back.

The boos were worst at New Years Revolution, which is where the promo where Angle hates blacks comes from. Then he lost the title to edge, ran with edge for a month and was cheered during it. Then Hunter took over and absolutely buried him by basically going "You can't wrestle, you suck, the fans don't like you" and having firey baby face Cena go "Yup, but I have HEART!" leading into WM 22. Then it was RVD during ONS, but after that he went back to Edge, who got him cheered, then the Champion of Champions feud, which got him cheers. It helped that at this time he was getting far better as a wrestler.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

He was getting booed right from January 2006 quite a bit against Edge too. That RAW with the live sex celebration, Cena comes out to cut a promo with plenty of boos. Random note, wasn't Triple H a babyface during his feud with Cena?

I don't remember a time when Cena wasn't getting heavily booed.

Right, January 2006 was when Edge cashed in the first MITB and the ratings shot up huge in the weeks after, but they still had Cena win the title back at Royal Rumble. I forgot that was in there! Like I said, when they pick "their guy", they stick with him. That ratings jump was huge and significant they hadn't seen ratings like that since the monday night war era and they still didn't change poo poo.

HHH was full heel if I'm remembering right. I think it was that summer though he and HBK reformed DX and he turned face where he stayed until he semi-retired.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I would say Cena started getting booed around Summerslam 2005, going against Christian and Jericho right before they both left WWE. Something about those other two clicked, while Cena was really starting to be neutered down.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I remember I first started paying attention to wrestling again in like 2005, right around when Cena got drafted to Raw. That was one of the first new things I saw. And the reaction he got was so huge I figured he must have been some big star from WCW I didn't know about(I didn't pay much attention to WCW when it was on, and stopped paying attention to wrestling entirely in 1999).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

Right, January 2006 was when Edge cashed in the first MITB and the ratings shot up huge in the weeks after, but they still had Cena win the title back at Royal Rumble. I forgot that was in there! Like I said, when they pick "their guy", they stick with him. That ratings jump was huge and significant they hadn't seen ratings like that since the monday night war era and they still didn't change poo poo.

HHH was full heel if I'm remembering right. I think it was that summer though he and HBK reformed DX and he turned face where he stayed until he semi-retired.

Edge was very upset because they could have run with Cena vs Edge through Mania, but HHH was insistent that he "Put him over" When they finally got back to it after ONS, it did gang busters. As Edge was a top heel who knew how to be hated, and Cena looked like he despised him in every encounter

But seriously if you go back and watch the 05->07 region, his cheers/boos were much more divided than they are today.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thauros posted:

Dave's speculating that Cena/Rusev at Mania could be an I Quit match :smith:

gently caress, I hope he's wrong. I know Cena's going to win, and that's fine, but please no more Cena matches with that stip.

Of all people, I could see Rusev threatening a blue-eyed American child to get Cena to say I Quit.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Korelle posted:

Lex Luger was more over than Roman Reigns.

Mizdow the comedy jobber is more over than Roman Reigns.

Buff Bagwell was and likely still is more over than Roman Reigns (because he's Buff and also The Stuff).
I have no doubt if Rhyno popped in from NXT and got a quick appearance on Raw, he'd still be more over than Reigns, too.

And he still does a better spear. And looks like he'd stand more of a chance against Brock Lesnar. And is certainly no worse on the mic. And has a more expansive moveset. And has better cardio at 40 years old.

Roman Reigns is a poorinsane rich man's Rhyno.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I would like to see what kind of reaction a Cena/Reigns match would draw in a place like Philadelphia. I wonder if we've reached a point where the crowd might actually get behind Cena in a situation like that instead of just booing both guys.

Mautr
Sep 8, 2008
This is all an ingenious plan by Vince to get the fans behind Cena again

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Them trying to talk up cena's NEVER GIVE UP attitude is somewhat negated by the fact that so many others also NEVER GAVE UP.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sigma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW2GVQlTdBg

I can't wait for Dean's first title defense :allears:

This promo is fantastic. Of course it's not on TV.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Someone asked that if Cena rejects programs too stupid even for him, then what kind of programs were they, I direct you all to the midcard of the WWE and say "Probably most of that"

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
This page has a lot of crowd talk and it's making me curious, what areas are more likely to have hot crowds vs. smark crowds vs. dead crowds vs. crowds that behave like Vince wants?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Corpus Christi always manages to be deader than dead.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Needs More Ditka posted:

This page has a lot of crowd talk and it's making me curious, what areas are more likely to have hot crowds vs. smark crowds vs. dead crowds vs. crowds that behave like Vince wants?
Bigger cities == smarkier == particularly in the northeast == more active
Not as big cities/rural == markier == particularly in the south == less active

There's a lot of exceptions and qualifiers but I think that's the (very general) trend.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
You guys I'm watching Slam City. Mark Henry's a penguin.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Too bad there isn't a Raw thread yet, because I think Independence Day as a lead-in could be some sort of message

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The Reddit Raw stream is playing the Bikertaker titantron.

BAD ASSES ALWAYS KICKING rear end HOLES ASSES

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Hyped for the Flintstones movie promo tonight.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Vertical Lime posted:

Too bad there isn't a Raw thread yet, because I think Independence Day as a lead-in could be some sort of message

Randy Orton

Randy Quaid

Makes you think.

DM Punk posted:

Hyped for the Flintstones movie promo tonight.

Fred looks really concerned about Punk-Rock's staph infection.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I think this is the first year I can remember since I was a little kid that Wrestlemania feels like just like any other upcoming 'special event' show and not like, well, loving Wrestlemania.

It's really weird and probably says a lot about wwe in 2015. Wouldn't be surprised if they half assed the set for this show as well.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Cyron posted:

and it sad since i am sure Reigns don't hate gay people.

Queering does not make the world work. Belee dat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Ages posted:

Randy Orton

Randy Quaid

Makes you think.

Fred looks really concerned about Punk-Rock's staph infection.

I really hope WWE uses stills from the Flintstones and the Scooy Doo movie of an animated CM Punk to prove that he was working healthy. "He even drove off in his car from the Bedrock arena. Now tell me judge, how can a man that is gravely injured run that fast in his car?"

• Locked thread