Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Gulran "RX-3318" Amaya
Wound: 9/13 Strain: 12/12 Soak: 3 Defense: 1

As the ship entered out into space, RX stood by as Marr attempted to interrogate the prisoner. It seemed like the person was being tight lipped about the whole affair or extremely dazed. Once the cue came in, he walked in and he began to mention a significant lack of interrogation droids in this ship; however, there are methods to make do without one.

"Indeed, let me say this, you tell me everything I want to know and perhaps we can just leave you on this side of space: The Republic Side.

He didn't have to speak for long when the Rodian started speaking with stutters abound due to his fear.

Coercion Check: 1eP+1eA+2eD+1eB 1 success, 2 advantage, 1 Triumph

Used a light side token to upgrade my coercion check.
Giving my triumph and advantage to Marr's next check so an upgrade and a boost die I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The meditation techniques taught to her by Master Skywalker at the Praxeum have served Satoke well. The stress of the firefight melts away, and the Force works to accelerate her own natural healing processes.

Satoke gains back all her strain and 1 wound via meditation

The Rodian is tossed into the port airlock as an ersatz holding cell. He regards Marr for a moment as she attempts to reason with him before sneering. He folds his arms and looks down his snout at Marr, remaining totally silent -- despite this, his contempt for the Jedi and her interrogation tactics speaks for itself.

At RX-3318’s insinuation, he visibly balks a little. The crack in his armor is briefly displayed as his voice finally breaks. ”Look man, I don’t know anything about what you’re lookin’ for, okay?” he says in Huttese. His voice retains a stable timbre, but you can tell he’s slightly perturbed, being stuck in an airlock between a Jedi and an Imperial trooper. ”I was told to be at the spaceport at a certain time and to bring my gun, what more do you want from me?”

Due to RX’s advantage and triumph, Marr gets a boost die and an upgrade on her next check on her Good Cop routine.

Seris gets right to work examining the general state of the ship’s construction and maintenance. He notes that the ship’s functional systems have been generally kept in good working condition, though like most Corellian ships, it has its own quirks, flaws, and secrets. In this case, it looks like the ship has had some shoddy “upgrades” installed -- or, at the very least, someone had attempted to install them. Several of the spaces that would have normally been used to additional upgrades or pieces of equipment have been nearly completely ruined with superfluous durasteel plating, improperly welded or physically compromised spares, or flat-out turned to slag. If any competent mechanic wanted to perform any kind of real upgrades, it would take a bit of work to clear out and repair the previous attempts. A lesser technician would balk at the sheer amount of work, but you are confident that it wouldn’t be as challenging as it could be.

Any attempt by Series to clean out the old repairs will get a boost die, though it will have the same number of difficulty die. Note that this constitutes a pretty major overhaul to the ship and you would need to be docked in a landing bay with atmosphere or on a planet to perform it, as well as a few days’ time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Seris Nyar

"Oh dear," Seris said, slithering into the rear room just as Satoke began her post meditation stretches, "I do wonder what your compatriot is doing to the prisoner... he said, not even feigning real concern. "The Imperial? Well, we've all heard rumors of what happens to people interrogated by stormtroopers. But the Jedi, the heroes of the Republic?" Seris continued, fiddling with electronics as he spoke. "Just a bad podon, do you think? Or do the ends justify the means for your Order?" he hissed, with unconcealed bitterness, never looking away from his work.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 10, 2015

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Marr Udo-Mundi
Wound: 12/12 Strain: 12/16 Soak: 4

"Just the name of your contact. And the name of your leader. I assume the human we picked up shouting orders at you is your group's leader, Correct? That's normally how your groups work, I believe. I can guarantee your safety and ensure your survival and freedom on our next planet if you can give me that information, at least."

Streetwise: 2eP+1eA+1eD+2eD 1 success, 1 advantage

Passing the Advantage on.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Rodian huffs a bit, casting his gaze back and forth between the floor in front of him and the bulkhead to either side, mulling over Marr's offer. Finally, he looks up, turning his bulbous eyes to Marr. His arms are still crossed, probably as much a facade as it is a way of assuring himself of his own confidence.

"Yeah, that's him. Fat lotta good he did us, getting himself knocked out with the first shot. Arvo talks a big game, but he's a big karking idiot."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Marr Udo-Mundi

"Good. See? We can work together. That wasn't so hard to answer. Now do you know who contacted you at all to appear at the spaceport? I assume that Arvo was getting directions from someone. Surely with Arvo being a big karking idiot you can give his name up to us."

Coercion: 3eA+1eB+2eD 2 successes

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Satoke
Wound: 9/12 Strain: 12/12 Soak: 4 Defense: 1

The Chiss eyes the Sluissi for a moment before answering. Clearly he had no love for the Jedi. She wondered how long the Sluissi lived and whether this one had been alive during the time of the Old Republic, or was he simply bigoted and trained to hate Jedi rather than think for himself. Or perhaps all criminals distrusted the Jedi? That made a certain degree of sense, as Jedi generally upheld the law, when it was appropriate. Just what was this criminal doing on such a sensitive mission, anyway?

"Perhaps it is what she's good at. And exactly what are YOU good at, Sluissi? Other than repairing ships, which is not so unique a skill that you would be given parole for it." She crosses her arms and leans against the bulkhead, suppressing a grimace at her still tender ribs, watching the serpent work.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Seris Nyar

Seris paused at the Chiss' words, issuing a slow, sad sigh before answering, "It's a shame, really. There is no real difference between the Republic and the Empire, or even the Old Republic, not where it matters, at least. All of them impose their will at the barrel of a blaster, making loud squawks about justice or order or freedom, but not one of them wouldn't betray their principals at a moment if it meant furthering their power." He continued, tone growing more harsh, "The galaxy has always belonged to those willing to trick or force others to their vision, to make them believe that their way is the right way. Their precious principals have never been anything more than the echoes of a demagogue's ego." Seris shook his head slightly as he drew a long breath, calming back down, "Even the Jedi are no different," he said, with resignation.

"I chose instead to do that things that I am able, without paying heed to what anyone else believes I should do. Slicing, lockbreaking, restricted modifications, illegal manufacture of weapons, chopping and reassembling stolen starships; nothing special, save that others are afraid to do it, because of their so-called principals, or fear of those who enforce them. In the end, had I sold my services to Rebel agents rather than Imperial, I would have been hailed as a hero. Instead, you call me a criminal. What irony," Seris said, sealing back shut the panel, and turning to face Satoke.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Lt. Benjamin Novar

"Oh, please." Benjamin interjected, having walked in during Seris' sylloquie, having put the ship into hyperspace a few minutes before. "Do you think you could spare us the self-serving justification for your criminal past. If you can't see the difference between the New Republic and the Empire then you're an idiot. I haven't seen the Republic blowing up any planets lately. Or did you forget about the Death Stars and the Galaxy Gun?"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Seris Nyar

Seris shrugged. "The Empire was just better at it, he said, flatly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Satoke
Wound: 9/12 Strain: 12/12 Soak: 4 Defense: 1

Satoke frowns at the argument, "If you both knew what sorts of things lurked out in the Unknown Regions, it'd turn your skin bluer than mine and cause you to spontaneously shed your skin. The Ascendancy is another of those precious principles, and we've held the terror at bay for eons without the rest of you even knowing there was a threat. Together we are powerful, and can protect ourselves... without morals and rules, we would have anarchy and be destroyed." She hesitates briefly as she realizes she'd been progressively raising her voice.

"Calm yourself, Satoke, letting your feelings get the better of you will cause you to make rash decisions... to endanger others, and yourself... to touch the Dark Side..."

"Yes, Master Skywalker..."

She exhales slowly, her voice lowering to its usual volume, "Even the Empire understood this, but I fail to understand how you, Sluissi, would work for them. Mitth'raw'nuruodo had to fight tooth and nail to gain their recognition and respect, and we Chiss are not so different from humans... the Empire would have looked on you and your people as nothing more than animals, to be used and discarded, as needed. The Jedi welcome all species, and will defend anyone, even those races which cannot touch the Force. That alone makes them worthy of respect, on top of the Empire murdering millions of sentients to show off their power."

She glances at Novar, "Are we jumping directly to Plooma? How long until we arrive? I assume this ship isn't capable of HoloNet transmission while we're in Hyperspace... I don't believe that sort of technology is common in this part of the galaxy yet... is it?"

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 10, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Lt. Benjamin Novar

Benjamin sneered at Seris, "I guess your either an idiot or a liar then. 'No, don't you see it's ok for me to murder and steal because I have the will to power and everyone would do the same if they weren't cowed sheeple'" Benjamin quotes mockingly. "I've spent the last 7 years on patrol duty for the CDF, and I've hard some variation of that speech from more murdering pirate scum than I care to think about, and I'm sick of it." A hint of anger begins to creep into his voice, as he thinks back to the bloody aftereffects of piracy he seen visited on innocent civilians time and again. "It's nothing more than an intellectually lazy way for you to excuse harming other people without even having to grapple with what that means, and in my book that makes you not just scum, but a coward too."

Benjamin takes a breath, and gets his emotions under control. His voice is even and precise now, and cold as space, "You can believe whatever self-serving claptrap you want, but just keep in mind that I've got my eye on you," He points at Seris with just a hint of menace, "and if I even think you're planning on hurting one of the other people on this ship, I'll do what I have to stop you. Clear?"

Turning to Satoke he answers calmly, "We need to stop at least twice to make course adjustments on the way, once near Generis, and once near Bimmel. I'll alert you when we return to normal space at our next course adjustment. Overall, barring any difficulties it will take us several weeks to arrive. We are travelling from the mid-rim to pretty far out on the outer rim afterall, and this thing's only got a Class 2 hyperdrive."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Seris Nyar

"Ssince we met, Lieutenant, only one of uss in this room has killed ssomeone. Elssewhere on this sship a prisoner is being ssubjected to a sstormtrooper's minisstrationss. Of the six of uss, only the professsor and I are not in the bussinesss of murder in the name of ssome causse." Seris breathed, opening his hands in an expression of honesty. "I would ssuggest not pushing the ship too hard, captain; there is some botched wiring that I do not have time to fix at the moment deceasing power efficiency and we may experience ssurgess if you treat her like a fighter," he said, dismissing the human.

"Ussed and disscarded, Lady Jedi? Is that not what the Republic has chossen to do to me, for the crime of being paid more handssomely by her enemiess? I can only wonder what crimess the rest of you have committed to be sent on this ssuicide mission, but ask yourselves, both of you: did you desserve this?" Seris finished, packing his toolbox.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 11, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Lt. Benjamin Novar

"I'm supposed to take your word you've never killed anyone?" Benjamin asked incredulously. "Regardless, unlike you, I'm fully aware of the moral dimension of my job, and yes I've killed people. However, I don't kill innocent civilians. I knew the risks when I put on my uniform, just like every other soldier, and I don't regret serving as part of the shield between the civilian populace and ruthless bastards like Imperials, pirates, or whatever other monsters are lurking out there in the darkness of space."

He straightens his uniform tunic, even knowing this is probably the last time he'd be wearing it for a while. "We're already on the way to Generis. I'll alert the ship when we drop out of hyper so people can access the holo-net, before we return to hyper for the second leg of the trip. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to familiarize myself with the ship's tactical capabilities." He bows his head respectfully at Satoke, "Master jedi." He glares at Seris, and then he heads back towards the cockpit.

Tactical Analysis of the Ship(Warfare): 1eP+2eA 2 successes, 2 advantage

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mustache Ride posted:

Marr Udo-Mundi

"Good. See? We can work together. That wasn't so hard to answer. Now do you know who contacted you at all to appear at the spaceport? I assume that Arvo was getting directions from someone. Surely with Arvo being a big karking idiot you can give his name up to us."

Coercion: 3eA+1eB+2eD 2 successes

The Rodian shrugs, starting to become visibly irritated at the continued line of questioning. "I'm sure he was too, he's nowhere near clever enough to come up with something like this on his own. I don't know who his boss is though -- Arvo found me and the others at the Blistering Wampa enjoying a few drinks when he slapped down a pile of cred chits on the table and offered us some easy work. We scooped up the credits, grabbed our blasters, and made our way out." He tuts and leers at Marr. "Had I known we'd be up against Jedi, I'd have tripled my rate." He pauses once more before looking Marr in the eyes. "You gonna release me when we land, then?"

You're not going to get much more out of the Rodian. He doesn't seem to know much, beyond that Arvo paid him for his services as a hired gun for this job. For any real info, you'd have to ask Arvo.

Valhawk posted:

Tactical Analysis of the Ship(Warfare): 1eP+2eA 2 successes, 2 advantage

As Benjamin Novar settles back into the cockpit, he calls up the ship's latest tactical overlay on the pilot's console. A wireframe model of the CEC YV-929 springs up before him, rotating along its X and Y axes whilst highlighting the various defensive systems. Benjamin is already quite familiar with the model after his years of serving with the CDF: much better armed than other light freighters of its class with exceptional shielding. The YV-929 excellent in most categories except maneuverability and customisation. This particular one, due to shoddy attempts at upgrades in the past, is likely unable to accept any new tweaks or systems until the old components are removed -- even then, there isn't a ton of room for customisation, but a skilled engineer could accomplish some interesting things. The two triple light blaster cannons mounted under the chin provide a fairly wide firing arc across the ship's bow and along the port and starboard sides. The one ion cannon turret has similar range, and there are two forward-oriented concussion missile tubes highlighted on the diagram. The ship's only rear-firing defensive system is a single aft-mounted concussion missile tube -- each tube has capacity for 10 missiles.

Benjamin's initial assumptions about potential tactics are correct. The ship's offensive power lies in its forward arc, which can pack a massive alpha strike punch. If anything survives the alpha strike, it will have to do a bit of lumbering to get into a position to strike again. The concussion missile tubes can only hold ten missiles each, though it may be possible to transfer missiles from the fore to the aft magazine in order to keep the rear tubes firing.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 11, 2015

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Marr Udo-Mundi

"Of course we are. I gave you my word did I not?. Now stay here, and I'll see about getting you some food and a blanket. Can't have you dying." Marr retreats out of the airlock and latches it shut behind her. "Okay RX, we know this leader's name is Arvo, and he picked up this crew from the Blistering Wampa cantina. You want to take point on this one? I'll come in a few times and hold you back for effect if you need me too."

Marr walks with RX to the Starboard airlock and stands outside, trying to gauge the mood of the leader locked inside the narrow space.

Sense: 1eF 2 Dark Side

Goddamn force. :(

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Gulran "RX-3318" Amaya

Upon hearing the idea from Marr, RX agreed with the strategy. "Good, lemme do this thing right quick."

Pulling out Arvo's blaster that he had dropped when he failed to attack the group. He modified it quickly to not even fire when the trigger was pulled. He attempted to try but on such short notice, he only was able to set it to shock the person who fired the pistol instead. Not an ideal solution, but it would still work.

Modify the blaster pistol to not fire: 5eA+3eD 1 failure, 3 advantage

Once with Arvo, RX sat down. He put the blaster pistol on the table. He left his rifle with Mundi. RX smiled. "You know, freedom is very close, Avro. I may not look like it, but I am an Imperial." He as he moved forward into the light, where his green skin showed up alongside his many tattoos. "I mean, only a Stormtrooper could be so precise. I mean you did try and failed spectacularly to hit us. It was such a joy to see." He paused for a moment before continuing, "I do have sad news though, as you may have noticed your friends you picked up at the Blistering Wampa failed you. I see you eying your weapon right there. You know, I am defenseless. You could kill me. I doubt it though. I think you realized that it is too late for you. Taken down with one crack shot. So, how about this, Avro, you tell me who hired you and I might let you see another sun rise. Of course, it'll probably be in Imperial space.

(Coercion check): 2eA+2eD 1 success

Using advantages to just have the blaster set to shock when fired.
Forgot to change the description of the roll so modified it to be what I originally wanted.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arvo peers up at RX from his position, sitting on the deck and leaning his back against a bulkhead. He sneers mockingly at the Miralan "stormtrooper". "Yeah, with your green skin you're as much an Imperial as I am a Hutt," he spits out, his voice gravelly and worn with age and t'bac smoke. His glance shifts to the pistol sitting on between him and RX before tilting his head upward once toward it. "And that? That's the oldest trick in the book. What, you get laughed out of stormtrooper school?"

Coercion checks against Arvo are going to have 4 difficulty dice starting out. There are... methods of making this number go down as the interrogation progresses.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Marr Udo-Mundi

"Heh, fair enough then dirtbag. Let see if you're still laughing in a minute." Marr pulls out her saber and holds it under Arvo's chin. "Lets see if you can talk back to the contained plasma as it extends through your throat." Marr makes an elaborate display of fingering the trigger on her saber.

"Now, what are you going to tell me to make me not trigger this sword through your neck?"

Coercion: 3eA+4eD 2 successes, 3 threat

I hope this is one way

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Phal Shem

Phal tuned out the sounds of the...negotiations coming from the rest of the ship and busied himself with the small terminal mounted on the cockpit wall. It wasn't as robust as the one back in the lounge area, but he had no desire to be present for the interrogation of a hostage. Phal had no particular qualms against violence, but something about interrogations, even fictional ones in holodramas, rubbed him the wrong way...like it wasn't sporting.

Muttering softly to himself, inaudible through his breathing mask, Phal talked his way through running a few simple queries. He may have been let go from the university, but his access to scholarly databases wouldn't expire for another month or so. Hopefully some enterprising researchers somewhere in the affected regions of the galaxy had uploaded some findings...

Phal decided it would be best to confine himself to the readily available news and academic sources. That's where his area of expertise lay, and while it was less likely he would find something worldbreaking, it was much more likely that he would turn up something useful at all.

Drone, what would be the diff on doing a bit of research? And I'm hoping Phal's talent will apply here too.

Research: 1eP+3eA+1eD 2 successes, 1 advantage

Reduced difficulty by one since Phal is interacting with educational/scholarly sources

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 12, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mustache Ride posted:

"Now, what are you going to tell me to make me not trigger this sword through your neck?"

Coercion: 3eA+4eD 2 successes, 3 threat

As Marr shoves the emitter of her lightsaber into Arvo's neck, his body shudders visibly from the shock and surprise of it. His eyes widen a bit and focus in sharply, but he does a good job of suppressing a gasp. Despite his best efforts to cover it up, you startled the hell out of him. Eventually he croaks out an answer, regaining his composure.

"Heh, I knew the ol' high-and-mighty holier-than-thou Jedi schtick was just an act, just like they told me. You really are tyrants out to dominate us all, aren't you? Any reservation I had about the cause before has evaporated now that you've finished lifting the veil from over my eyes."

He rotates his head slightly, twisting his neck uncomfortably against the butt of the saber hilt. "Alright, fine. I sabotaged that 'hotel' speedervan, and I hired those bar rats to help me make sure nobody walked out of there alive." Arvo pauses for a moment in thought. "And I did it all on a whim. I wanted to see some explosions, and to see people get hurt." He adopts a faux conciliatory tone as he raises a hand to his chest gingerly. "I'm a bad, bad man.

Next check for interrogation (you can use things besides coercion!) is down to 3 difficulty dice.

jivjov posted:

Phal Shem

Hopefully some enterprising researchers somewhere in the affected regions of the galaxy had uploaded some findings...

Research: 1eP+3eA+1eD 2 successes, 1 advantage

outerrimtopics.currenteventsreview.holonet posted:

=+=+="Sernpidal Destroyed" Claims Freighter Captain=+=+=

DUBRILLION - The galaxy may take little notice of what happens in the backwaters of the Outer Rim, but word has been filtering through the HoloNet in recent days that communications from the remote but well-populated world of Sernpidal have gone silent. The planet does not lie near any major hyperspace routes, though it does receive regular enough traffic from local traders in region. One such enterprising individual is Captain Huk Margrev, a fuel hauler skipper operating here out of Dubrillion. We were able to reach Captain Margrev after several attempts.

"Look, I dunno what happened, okay? It's just gone. The whole thing. Barely a loose clump of asteroids now," claims Margrev. Further questioning of the Captain has elicited no response, as he has packed up and left port without filing a flight plan with the local authority. In the meantime, sources here say that Captain Margrev left behind a sizeable stock of goods to be delivered from his personal storehouse, and no attempt was made to settle accounts before he took off. He has been unreachable via HoloNet, and authorities are beginning to consider initiating missing person procedures.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Marr Udo-Mundi

"Oh no, don't lump me in with those other Jedi. I'm not like them. They think the world is this clean pristine place with good on one side and bad on the other. I've been in the dirt, among you scumbags for far too long to think that way. I know the difference. There is not just right and wrong. There is not just good and evil. There is only the line you cross when you get close to the dark side. And me? Well I'm able to cross that line back and forth. Cross it without worrying about becoming a force for evil. I've seen more evil in the universe than I ever want to see again, and I can live with the choices I make and still wake up the next morning with a smile on my face knowing that the light is with me."

Marr looks at RX as she says this next bit. "This isn't the way Jedi normally think, but as an NRI agent for most of my life, I'm not like most Jedi. That's why I'm comfortable with this crew and Stormtroopers. That's why the call me the Grey Knight." She turns back to Arvo. "And I don't believe one word that's coming out of your mouth. You have no reason to randomly attack us. No reason to go through all the trouble of setting up the hovervan to fail at the exact point of your ambush for just the thrill of being a bad man. You're a hired thug like the rest of your little gang we so easily incapacitated.

But you know what, I'll make you a deal. You tell me exactly what I need to know...and answer all of our questions, and you'll never see me or another Jedi again. I'll make sure of it. We'll stay way away from your little corner of space, and you can keep that veil lifted all you want."

Vigilance: 1eP+2eA+3eD 0 successes, 2 advantage

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arvo sits upright and turns his face upward to meet Marr's. He is silent for a long moment, his thin lips closed tightly as he looks right into her. The only sound permeating the cabin is the hum of the ship's hyperdrive and the whirr of the shipboard computer.

After what seems like an eternity, Arvo speaks. "I will admit one thing. I didn't expect you to be that honest with me. For as much as I hate the Jedi and what they're doing to this galaxy, I can at least respect that."

He hikes himself up from the deck and stands his full height, at eye level with Marr Udo-Mundi. He barely gives RX a notice, his attention now solely focused on the Cerean Jedi before him. "I was hired by a man on Rhommamool. I couldn't tell you his true name, since he never gave it -- he only referred to himself as 'the Vanguard'." He huffs for a moment. "Melodramatic as it sounds, his words sat with me. Some of his rhetoric I couldn't care less about -- a return to a more simpler existence without reliance on mechanical technology. But the one thing that touched a nerve with me was his idea that the Jedi were a poison to galactic society." He stops for a moment and a look of something approaching genuine tact flashes across his face. "Err.. I suppose present company excepted."

"Anyway, he knew I wasn't a fan of Jedi anyway," Arvo continues, puffing out his chest a bit, "and I guess he felt that I was a guy who could get things done. Told me that the Jedi were forming some kind of scout party on Ord Mantell, and that with one well-placed hovercar bomb and a bit of luck, I'd rid the galaxy of a handful of your lot. Gave me a sack of credits and said one thing to me: 'this is the start of something much larger than you or I'." He sniffs and jerks his neck, idly popping a joint. "That's the last I've seen or heard of him. He didn't leave me with any contact information, comm frequencies, or even a name -- but during the entire job, I couldn't shake the feeling that he was somehow... watching."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Marr Udo-Mundi

Marr removes herself from Arvo's personal space and sits down on the deck next to him. Her saber has returned under her outfit and out of sight again as she moves away from Arvo.

"Well it seems you have been deceived then. This party was not gathered by the Jedi, we were just asked to participate, and in a very limited capacity. This is a very diverse group, as I imagine you can guess, with elements from all over the galaxy, including even the Imperials and some representatives of the Outer Rim, I believe. We are not here for some overarching Jedi goal, in fact, even though we've been briefed on what to expect on our destination, I'm still not clear on what they expect us to find." Marr cocks her head as she goes over the information presented by the NRI in the briefing.

"However none of that matters, really, that's in the future, and right now I'm more concerned with your 'Vanguard'. I wonder which element of this conflict he represents. Do you know anything else about him? Species? What he looked like? How did he contact you? Anything else that might shine some light on who this 'Vanguard' is?"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mustache Ride posted:

"However none of that matters, really, that's in the future, and right now I'm more concerned with your 'Vanguard'. I wonder which element of this conflict he represents. Do you know anything else about him? Species? What he looked like? How did he contact you? Anything else that might shine some light on who this 'Vanguard' is?"

"I know he's some kind of agitator, and that he's apparently rich enough to be throwin' sacks of credits at guns for hire like me," Arvo answers. "He's human -- tall, somewhat thin but not lanky. Nothing distinguishable about him. He usually wore a robe when we spoke, so I only really saw his face. The only thing remarkable about him was his voice." He pauses in faint recollection. "Charismatic. Deep, with a natural rhythm to it. One of those voices that is so serious it sends chills down your spine."

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Gulran "RX-3318" Amaya

RX stood back at the fact his attempts at negotiation wouldn't compare to one that was an NRI agent. He had himself be part of the background to see how the whole interrogation thing played out.

"So, were you able to pick out the accent he had?"

It was a long shot, but RX figured that if there was ever a list of suspects, being able to pinpoint from what system or planet would most likely be beneficial. It would help narrow down the list of suspects further.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ramba Ral posted:

"So, were you able to pick out the accent he had?"

Arvo shakes his head. "No, he spoke Basic just like anyone you see on the HoloNet would." Though you get no impression that what he has said is false, you can tell your pull with the thug leader is likely starting to wear thin. He is becoming increasingly exasperated and
irritable with the continued questioning -- likely because he too is at the end of his usefulness.

”So I played huttball with you, now it’s your turn. You gonna drop me off somewhere that isn’t a desolate rock, or am I going to get the ‘privilege’ of spending the next decade or two in some Imperial cell?” He tosses RX a scowl.

Last chance for any questioning or shipboard stuff. In about 6 hours I’ll be fading into the next scene.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Marr Udo-Mundi

"I'm all done. You have anything else RX?" Marr waits for an answer.

"You've helped out a lot Arvo, we'll talk to the Captain about letting you off on an accessible planet, along with your Rodian friend." Marr leaves the airlock and makes her way towards the cockpit. "Novar, whats our status? Any place with a spaceport we can drop these two? We were able to get some info out of them, and can't kill them now."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Lt. Benjamin Novar

"Generis and Bimmel are both on our route. We're dropping out of hyperspace near each of them to adjust our course. It would be fairly easy to drop them at either." Benjamin responded.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Gulran "RX-3318" Amaya

"No, I think that's everything wanted to ask. Thanks though." RX said to Marr. Realizing everything was done. He decided to go where the rest of the crew was hanging out and noticed as he was talking a seat everyone on edge. He wondered what happened while he and Marr were busy, but decided to drop it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Where lesser (or less-savory) beings would likely have exacted some kind of retribution from those who so crassly decided to make a shallow attempt on your lives, your crew has taken the professional route -- maybe not so much for altruism as for professionalism. After all, for these thugs, the killing was never personal. Novar makes a brief layover on Bimmiel to drop off Arvo and the Rodian, who are quite to make their exit the moment the Star Princess's landing platform clanked against the spaceport floor. After a brief check of the ship's systems, a quick refuel, and a once-over to make sure nothing was swiped, you lift off and resume course for Plooma.

The planet, one of a very few in its small star system, seems utterly unassuming from orbit: a simple green-and-beige world of high plateaus and lush temperate rainforests. As you enter low orbit, you are acknowledged (but not hailed) by the planet's small picket: an aging CR-90 Corvette that has seen better days, an equally-aged Corellian gunship, and a wing of four X-Wings. Aside from the Republic picket, there seems to be no other local traffic in-system.

Descending into the atmosphere, you take a brief scan of the surface. The planet is teeming with lesser lifeforms, but the actual population is quite sparse, and nearly completely concentrated in the world's only settlement. Novar guides the somewhat ungainly Star Princess down onto one of the town's launch pads carefully, coordinating with the planet's droidbrain spaceport control officer. From above, the town is clearly active, though the place has a decidedly sleepy quality, nestled in naturally among the planet's native topography and plant life. If you were the adventurous type who could live far off the beaten path, Plooma may even be quite attractive as a homestead.

As your party descends the ship's gangway, you're met immediately by a waiting young man dressed in the tunic of a Republic naval officer. He looks fresh -- the poor guy must have drawn the worst assignment in the galaxy, at least as far as having a career goes. He raises a hand to his brow in a casual salute, focusing his attention on the two of you who are actually military.

"Good morning, and welcome to Ploomanis, shining capital of Plooma," he moves to extend his hand to the group's civilian members. "My name is Lieutenant Tranis, Supervising Officer, New Republic Naval Signals Station." He eyes the ship and its paint scheme momentarily before turning back to your group. In hushed tones he adds sarcastically, "well, I see they found you a suitably covert ship. Excellent." Despite his outward appearance, the officer's voice is deep and confident.

Before waiting around for proper introductions, he turns and begins ushering your group out of the landing pad and directly onto the adjoining high street. The avenue is completely devoid of any vehicles, the citizens of the small settlement preferring to walk to and fro about their business. They do so quietly -- something about the silence is unnerving, but you can't quite put your finger on it. It's as if people here are holding their breath in some kind of anticipation.

The walk to the Republic compound is short and uneventful (a welcome change from your previous jaunt through town on Ord Mantell). The building is squat and round, only two small storeys surrounded by a medium-height durasteel barrier. A single sentry is stationed at the entrance, who nods to the Lieutenant as your group passes through unmolested. It doesn't seem the most secure, but on a backwater world like this one, you can't exactly expect high standards. You make your way through the compound's small entrance foyer and into a modest-sized conference room along the back wall. Lieutenant Tranis gestures toward the six available seats along the sides of the conference table as he moves to take his place at the front of the table.

"As I'm sure you've already been informed, this information is highly confidential and is to be shared with no one," he begins gravely, clasping his hands before him. After a suitably dramatic pause, he continues, cutting right to the chase. "Two weeks ago, we detected a distress call from a point in space about two light-years from the Belkadan system, on the very edge of the Rim. The signal was faint, but we are uniquely positioned out here as a listening post. Though our transceiver array is quite sensitive, we were only barely able to ascertain the distress call's contents and point of origin before it gave out." He leans in on his elbows. "We dispatched the Thyferra Sun -- that's the Corvette up in orbit you likely saw on your way down here -- to investigate, as she's the fastest and most versatile ship we have out here. She found this..." He keys a button in-laid onto the console, and a holographic image of a barely cobbled-together shuttle flickers into existence above the middle of the table. The ship is badly beaten and haphazardly welded-together. From the looks of it, she is barely spaceworthy.

"This shuttle was registered to the ExGal Society, a private scientific NGO that seeks to prove the existence of life outside our galaxy. They've had a very small research outpost on the planet of Belkadan for the past several years, but given we haven't heard anything groundbreaking in that field for some time, we assumed their results had been inconclusive. Either way, our contact with the colony has been sporadic over the years as neighbors -- they've routed some of their communications through us, and would request the occasional supply run when they were price-shopping between us and traders from Sernpidal." Sensing he is beginning to get a bit long-winded, Lieutenant Tranis brings it back home. "The shuttle was drifting on emergency power when the Thyferra Sun arrived to respond to the distress signal. There were two people on board -- a man, and a barely-injured woman, both human. We brought them and their shuttle back to Plooma for medical attention and debriefing."

Lieutenant Tranis presses another key, and the holographic image of the shuttle is replaced by the rotating headscans of two humans -- a young woman in her late 20s, and a slightly older and unremarkable man. "They are both members of the ExGal Society and scientists at the outpost on Belkadan. The woman's name is Danni Quee from Commenor, and the man is Yomin Carr, who claims to be from Coruscant. According to their testimony, the ExGal Society thought they had their first genuine positive result of extragalactic life after years of searching, until the planet was suddenly wracked with a massive and unprecedented ecological disaster, rendering it uninhabitable. The majority of the outpost's crew perished, and only good luck allowed these two to get the bucket-of-bolts shuttle up and running so they could mount an escape."

The young lieutenant presses in, wrinkling his forehead and squinting a bit. "Now, that story is strange in and of itself, but there's more. As is standard procedure in cases like this, we interviewed the two survivors independently of each other to see if their stories matched up. Now, they generally did -- both survivors admit that the outpost has been destroyed by an ecological disaster, but there are finer discrepancies that come out in the two testimonies. The woman, Danni Quee, claims that the disaster happened mere hours after the discovery of a possible extragalactic contact out on the Rim -- that detail is notably missing from the testimony of Yomin Carr, who claims to know of no such discovery. Ms. Quee also mentions the presence of several small unidentified vessels orbiting Belkadan as the shuttle made its breakaway, something that Mr. Carr also failed to mention."

He pauses and leans back in his chair, steepling his fingers together over his lap. "Ordinarily, Naval Intelligence is not in the business of investigating crackpot stories like this, but it is one of a handful of new events happening out here recently that have given us cause for concern. If you'd like, I will brief you on those incidents as well. I will then take you to meet the survivors before we discuss the details of your mission -- needless to say, you can assume you'll be doing some fact-finding for us to help corroborate all these stories."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Marr Udo-Mundi
Wound: 12/12 Strain: 16/16 Soak: 4

"Yes, it would be most helpful if you could explain those additional incidents that led to the formation of our team and our mission. We'd also like to know where you think we should start. As the man on the ground, in a manner of speaking, you certainly have more direct insight into where we'd best be used on your fact finding mission."

Charm: 2eA+2eD 1 failure, 1 threat

Marr's attempt to ingratiate herself to the young Lieutenant does not end well.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 16, 2015

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Lt. Benjamin Novar

Benjamin nodded. Well, this was... something. He wasn't sure what yet. "I'd appreciate a briefing on those events." He says aloud. "I haven't heard much about this on Correllia."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Seris Nyar

Seris scrutinized the hologram of the ExGal shuttle, only half listening as the officer went on about discrepancies in testimony. Researchers too stupid or fanatical to land a job with a real organization, panicking in the face of an apparently massive attack; it would be a small miracle of either of their stories resembled anything like accuracy. Instead, Seris considered the damaged ship attempting to analyze the damage sustained and determine what sort of weapons or circumstances might have caused it.

Mechanics: Analyze Damage
3 successes, 4 advantages

e: should have been 2 proficiency, but w/e, it's a good roll.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mustache Ride posted:

Marr's attempt to ingratiate herself to the young Lieutenant does not end well.

Whether oblivious or quite tactful, Lieutenant Tranis makes no outward notice of Marr's attempt to charm him. He straightens up in his chair and surveys a datapad on the table's surface, calling up several signals interceptions and intelligence reports.

"Besides the apparent destruction of the ExGal Outpost and the strange circumstances of its occurance, there have been several other factors," he tones as he raises the datapad for review. "First -- and I believe Colonel Peel already briefed you on this bit -- we have the intercepted distress signal from the Imperial Star Destroyer Virulence, on routine patrol along the Braxant sector's rimward edge. This represents the farthest reaches of Imperial Remnant control, and the destruction of the ship is quite concerning to both Republic and Imperial forces." He pauses. "I don't think I have to remind you what kind of firepower needs to be brought to bear to bring down an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer. It's hard to believe that this was the work of pirates, and the distress signal explicitly mentions an unknown enemy of overwhelming power."

He flicks his hand over the datapad's touchscreen, calling up a further report. "More disconcerting is the lack of news.. or any communication, really, from the planet Sernpidal. That world is this subsector's primary population center, and while not exactly a galactic capital, its silence has given many pause. Especially here, where so much of our supply and logistical support flows through places like Sernpidal or Dubrillion."

Lieutenant Tranis continues, setting aside the datapad. "This is one of the least sparsely populated regions of the known galaxy. News out here travels slowly, and is never anything more than routine. Several major incidents such as these in as short a time gives Republic Intelligence good cause for concern.

"Your first mission, after checking in with our two guests from Belkadan, will be recon of the situation on Sernpidal. Since the Belkadan outpost went silent, Captain Lo'Bi of the Thyferra Sun has been somewhat hesitant to leave the picket around Plooma, for fear the world face a similar fate -- perhaps somewhat grandiose, but her intentions are good." Tranis sets his face in a serious gaze before making to stand. "The rest of your mission briefing will come after I introduce you to our guests from Belkadan. I'm sure their information will be of use to you, and you may wish to question them about things we may have overlooked. Are there any further questions from me before we continue on?"

fool_of_sound posted:

Mechanics: Analyze Damage
3 successes, 4 advantages

e: should have been 2 proficiency, but w/e, it's a good roll.

Seris's keen mechanics eye is able to determine several things about the shuttle, based on its damaged components. The majority of the ship's ragged appearance comes from normal wear-and-tear. It's a simple short-range shuttle made to make hops between neighboring systems. Its producer is unclear, but likely one of the old small time shipbuilders from before the Clone Wars, one of the many that didn't cut it or were absorbed into larger operations. Some of the damage is rather interesting though: the shuttle's stubby starboard side wing has a large, half-meter long hole seared straight through it from top to bottom. The depression of the hole on the top and the outward expansion of the blast from the bottom indicate it was caused by some kind of projectile weapon. The whole is carbon-scored and singed a deep black all around, and the durasteel shows signs of melting and resolidifying.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Lt. Benjamin Novar

When the Lieutenant mentioned the destruction of an Imperial II Star Destroyer, Benjamin's eyes narrowed. He'd never gone up against and Imp Star Deuce himself, but he knew they were tough customers. To overwhelm one so quickly would take a not inconsiderable fleet, or something in the Star Dreadnought size range such as a Super Star Destroyer or one of the new Viscount Star Defenders. Neither of those possibilities filled him with confidence about what exactly was going on out here. "Wait, you're telling me that an Imperial II was lost to hostile action, a planet was virtually destroyed by an unknown force, and contact has been lost with the largest planet in the region, and only thing New Republic HQ does is send out a single five man team in a mutilated light freighter? They must have a very high impression of us." Benjamin can't manage to keep the incredulity out of his voice.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Seris Nyar

Even the notoriously stoic Sluissi could not keep the surprise off his face. Could anything less than an entire fleet be considered 'overwhelming force' to a Star Destroyer, particularly it had the customary escorts? It raised questions of just how the shuttle escaped, particularly an old and ill-maintained shuttle. Perhaps the researchers had inadvertently stumbled across some method to avoid the mysterious invaders' notice. Discovering such a thing might prove invaluable. "I requesst permisssion to examine the recovered ExsGal sshuttle, and akssesss to any reportss already compiled on it. Alsso, a copy of any black boxs data ssalvaged."

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

Gulran "RX-3318" Amaya

As the mention of the very fact an Imperial Star Destroyer was destroyed in related to this outside threat, made RX nervous. Indeed, despite it's age, the ship could still pack a punch and stand it's ground, if it was destroyed effortlessly, then what good would their starship the Star Princess do against this unknown force? Regardless, he began to raise his hand and ask several questions, "Were there any survivors reported for the Virulence? Also, since this I assume is going to be primarily a scouting mission, we are not to engage with this hostile force if spotted, correct?"

He recalled his military field manual on dealing with an unknown enemy and whether or not they'll strike a location. He wasn't sure if the Thyferra Sun's captain was aware of it, since it was standard procedure for Imperials to use their XG-1 Starwings to do long range reconnaissance and radio back to their home base on enemy locations. Hopefully the Republic had something similar. "Finally, excuse me, I noticed there is an X-wing picket out there and was wondering if the good captain of the Thyferra Sun is going to have them do recon duty to give Plooma an early warning. Surely, the T65 is versatile enough to be outfitted for that sort of duty. Plus, it would increase chances of escape if things do go south quickly."

Knowledge Warfare: 2eA+2eD+1eB 0 successes, 2 advantage

Got a boost die as I have the military field manual and that gives one for any knowledge warfare checks when used.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Phal Shem

"On the topic of data; are there any copies of any of the observations and readings the ExGal outpost was able to gather on the extragalactic life?" Phal's voice is noticeably excited, even through the muffling effect of his breath mask "I would love to have a chance to examine their data!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Valhawk posted:

"Wait, you're telling me that an Imperial II was lost to hostile action, a planet was virtually destroyed by an unknown force, and contact has been lost with the largest planet in the region, and only thing New Republic HQ does is send out a single five man team in a mutilated light freighter? They must have a very high impression of us." Benjamin can't manage to keep the incredulity out of his voice.

Lieutenant Tranis screws his face up into an uncomfortable expression before answering. "You're preaching to the choir, Lieutenant Novar. If I were the one running things, I'd have sent the whole Third Fleet out here. And I get the feeling that many people feel the same way." He sighs. "I'm told that Colonel Peel communicated to you the political reasons for the Republic's... well, frankly anemic response to this problem. It's up to you all and to us to make the most out of what we've been given. If there is a genuine threat out here -- and I do believe there is -- our only hope is for you to uncover it quickly so we can cut through the red tape and actually meet it head-first."

fool_of_sound posted:

"I requesst permisssion to examine the recovered ExsGal sshuttle, and akssesss to any reportss already compiled on it. Alsso, a copy of any black boxs data ssalvaged."

The Republic officer thinks for a moment before tossing a nod to the Sluissi. "Of course we could permit access to the shuttle -- it's in bad shape, but the crew of the Thyferra Sun did manage to get her planetside for open-air repairs after she brought her back from deep space." He presses a button on the conference table, and after a moment's pause a uniformed Sullustan technician enters the conference room. Lieutenant Thranis indicates toward the Sullustan as he speaks to Seris. "Senior Technician Nban here will show you to the shuttle immediately if you would like."

Ramba Ral posted:

"Were there any survivors reported for the Virulence? Also, since this I assume is going to be primarily a scouting mission, we are not to engage with this hostile force if spotted, correct?"

"Finally, excuse me, I noticed there is an X-wing picket out there and was wondering if the good captain of the Thyferra Sun is going to have them do recon duty to give Plooma an early warning. Surely, the T65 is versatile enough to be outfitted for that sort of duty. Plus, it would increase chances of escape if things do go south quickly."

Knowledge Warfare: 2eA+2eD+1eB 0 successes, 2 advantage

"The distress call from the Virulence indicated that a very small proportion of that ship's crew survived the initial onslaught. Whether the survivors have been recovered or not we cannot say, though given the relative size of the Imperial Remnant and the vessel's last reported location in the Braxant sector, we think a quick recovery is likely." Lieutenant Thranis' face darkens. "We may have some Imperial cooperation in this endeavour --- yourself included -- but suffice it to say that not all facets of the Empire are as open to communication with us as others." He straightens his uniform. "As for the X-Wing picket from the Thyferra Sun, we have chosen to keep the X-Wings relatively close to the planet to assist in any possible defense. This is a state-of-the-art Republic Intelligence sensor station, and any incoming threats would be detected with more than enough notice," he tones, somewhat uncharacteristically haughtily from an otherwise down-to-earth officer.

jivjov posted:

Phal Shem

"On the topic of data; are there any copies of any of the observations and readings the ExGal outpost was able to gather on the extragalactic life?" Phal's voice is noticeably excited, even through the muffling effect of his breath mask "I would love to have a chance to examine their data!"

Thranis fumbles around in his breast pocket for a moment before producing a translucent hexagonal datadisk. He reaches out, holding it up for Phal Shem to grasp. "This is all the information we were able to retrieve, both from the shuttle's unboard computer and from testimony from the two scientists. The vessel's onboard databank was quite damaged, so the amount of information there is not substantial. The testimony you will likely find more interesting -- particularly the observations of Danni Quee. You may meet her, if you like.. her doctors tell me she is coming along quite well with her recuperation."

• Locked thread