Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:siren: Don't use spoiler tags and probably don't read this thread until you've watched every episode once they are released on February 27 on Netflix :siren:

House of Cards is a Netflix Original based on novels and a BBC miniseries that has significantly diverted from its source material so all bets are probably off. Please don't speculate about things that happened in the BBC show (especially THAT ONE THING) because even if this version does the same things it will probably be in a different way and also just don't ruin it for anyone, jerks. :(

Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood, the force majeur of the show. As of last season, the President of the United States of America.

Robin Wright as Claire, Frank's partner in literal crime and so far a very committed partner.

Here's the quick recap of the hot button things you should know:

- Frank murdered Russo in season 1 and Zoe Barnes in season 2.
- Claire has an ex-flame named Adam who still has feelings for her.Adam died on the way back to his home planet.
- Frank is bisexual and he and Claire had a threesome with their Secret Service guy Meechum in S2.
- A formerly black hat/now white hat hacker is on to Frank.Just kidding, he's working for the CIA and just wants out of his job.
- Doug Stamper is dead, killed by a prostitute he had fallen in love with while he was safekeeping her from causing trouble for Frank. SYKE! Doug is totally alive.
- People are suspicious of Zoe's death and are putting the pieces together.Never mind, turns out nobody gives a gently caress anymore that the POTUS is a murderer.

In season 3, it looks like:

- Russia will be a big deal.
- Frank and Claire are drifting apart.
- poo poo is about to get loving REAL. See this trailer for proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU9QTLXYCCc

Are you pumped? I am so pumped.

precision fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I want to see that whole scene where not-Putin smooches Claire so much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaYVo89mmY

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Lycus posted:

I want to see that whole scene where not-Putin smooches Claire so much.

Starring Vladimir Putin as not-Putin's stunt/butt/kissing double

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wonder if not-Putin's gonna have any shirtless scenes.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Just saw the trailer. Holy poo poo, Frank is going to have a long year. Not Putin looks like he's not a guy to gently caress with. I like the 2 second clip in which he seems not to want to shake Frank's hand. What an rear end in a top hat move.

Lycus posted:

I wonder if not-Putin's gonna have any shirtless scenes.

Only if he's battling a grizzly bear.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm rewatching seasons 1 and 2 in preparation and drat, Robin Wright's performance is just so subtle and nuanced. The hospital handjob, my god what a scene.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So, should we assume now that since the series is about Frank being in power, that we can no longer look to the British show for clues on what will happen next? Is it now entirely in its own original territory?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrSunshine posted:

So, should we assume now that since the series is about Frank being in power, that we can no longer look to the British show for clues on what will happen next? Is it now entirely in its own original territory?

At the very least, the trailer for S3 looks nothing like what happens in the British series.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I think it would be interesting if in Season 3 we see Frank being put into a situation where he realizes "Oh gently caress, I'm playing with the fate of the world now". He's dealt with huge, serious issues before of course, but now he's in THE position of power and the trailer makes it look like he's dealing with an incredibly dangerous opponent. Maybe the season ends with the U.S and Russia being on the very brink of war and Frank just realizes how huge the consequences of any gently caress up can be.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I could see them using Not Putin as some kind of analogue to the King in To Play the King but the dynamic between the two should be so different (King vs. Prime Minister, world leader vs. world leader).

Anyone able to make out what's written on the white shirts of the mob rushing towards the camera? I'm hoping it's not some kind of dumb take on Anonymous.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I hope that we get a private meeting between Frank and Not-Putin in which the audience expects Frank to do an aside, only for Putin to look directly into the camera and start monologing.

Antti posted:

I could see them using Not Putin as some kind of analogue to the King in To Play the King but the dynamic between the two should be so different (King vs. Prime Minister, world leader vs. world leader).

Anyone able to make out what's written on the white shirts of the mob rushing towards the camera? I'm hoping it's not some kind of dumb take on Anonymous.

STOP PETROV (Not-Putin)

So, we are going to get Euromaidan or some equivalent.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 18, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

2/3s of the British show was about Francis being in power.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

I hope that we get a private meeting between Frank and Not-Putin in which the audience expects Frank to do an aside, only for Putin to look directly into the camera and start monologing.

(Not-Putin leaves the room.)

Frank: He spoke into my cam-e-ra. I can forgive many things--you might knock over a few small countries in the mroning, kiss my wife in the afternoon, and undermine me with my donors at night--but when a man steals my monologue, I find it simply intolerable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frank insists their next meeting happens either at a train station or parking garage.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

FadingChord posted:

(Not-Putin leaves the room.)

Frank: He spoke into my cam-e-ra. I can forgive many things--you might knock over a few small countries in the mroning, kiss my wife in the afternoon, and undermine me with my donors at night--but when a man steals my monologue, I find it simply intolerable.

When reading this using Kevin Spacey's voice, I can totally imagine this being one of his line.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Going back through season 2 again. I cannot wait for Friday. I am guessing that, while the trailer focuses on Not Putin loving around with Frank; the main story will be hacker guy and more importantly, Rachel Posner. She killed Stamper and she may be Frank's downfall completely.

I did just have a question pop into my head: who will Frank trust enough to be his VP?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 22, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Sec State perhaps?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I was expecting him to appoint that woman he got appointed Secretary of State too.

Comedy option: Claire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I did just have a question pop into my head: who will Frank trust enough to be his VP?

Somehow I have not devoted any though to this at all. I don't think it will be Jackie because he needs her where she is. I suspect it might be someone we haven't seen yet?

I just finished rewatching season 2 and 3 things:

- I admit I wasn't paying full attention during my rewatch but did they really just drop the plot about Russo's friend running for Russo's office?

- I like how the hacker listens to angry noise music. I'm glad he will be a part of season 3 because he's probably the most sympathetic character still living.

- The way Freddy and Frank split wasn't nearly as bad as I remember it. It was actually pretty much OK, it seems like the first time I saw it Freddy was much more of a dick to Frank but he really wasn't, he was just being the tough guy he is.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Going back through season 2 again. I cannot wait for Friday. I am guessing that, while the trailer focuses on Not Putin loving around with Frank; the main story will be hacker guy and more importantly, Rachel Posner. She killed Stamper and she may be Frank's downfall completely.

Hacker guy pulling a Snowden and running to Russia could be pretty cool and would give us some *~*topical arguments*~* about the security state, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happen.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Frank will want a VP that he can easily manipulate. He will want someone who will never be in a position to challenge Frank, but who has enough backbone to fight the battles Frank needs him to fight.

I don't think Jackie is an option. She's too useful as a whip. Frank needs her where she is. Also she is too opiniated and strong of character. As a VP, she'd fight him on too many things I am sure. Frank knows full well the danger of a competent, powerful VP.

At this point, I think he'll choose one of the minor characters we have seen so far. Just not sure who that would be.

FadingChord posted:

Hacker guy pulling a Snowden and running to Russia could be pretty cool and would give us some *~*topical arguments*~* about the security state, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that happen.

I think that would make for a good plot. I kinda hope it happens now, drat you.

Edit: On another note, here's a very nice parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFk0T3ifF48

Dalael fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 22, 2015

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
They kinda dropped Russo's seat's plotline, but leaving it where it is suggests that those workers they focused on eventually get one of their actual own into Congress instead of a guy who was just from there but didn't live the life they had to. Could be a nice send off to those people who were boned hard at least twice in the story by politics.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I expect an episode devoted to that question, just as we got with the old president.

As others have mentioned, the Secretary of State is the most fitting character to fill the slot, both for her credentials and because of the Law of Conservation of Characters. If I remember correctly, Underwood promised her something in exchange for supporting his coup and the Vice Presidency seems an appropriate reward.

The Senator that was trapped in his office with Underwood would be an emotionally satisfying choice, though politically questionable. The Senator apparently has spotless moral credentials, but his unabashed hatred for the Underwoods makes any prolonged relationship between the two seem doubtful.

Have there been any prominent Republicans in the show? I could see Frank trying to recruit someone from across the aisle for a historic "National Unity" ticket.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

It's back baby

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I don't see how the first episode of S3 could possible do what the first episode of S2 did. I don't think and show or movie got as much of a reaction out of me as that conversation Frank and Zoey had while waiting for the train to arrive.

I'm super fucken stoked though!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

Have there been any prominent Republicans in the show? I could see Frank trying to recruit someone from across the aisle for a historic "National Unity" ticket.

The Senate Majority Leader (dude from The Shield) and the Tea Party leader.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Last season was pretty lovely. The subplots got entirely too ridiculous, many episodes had a "problem of the week" vibe that were sloppily handled, and the president was super easy to depose. Especially the last few actions of the president are just mind boggling dumb. It's not rewarding to see Spacey seize the throne when the opposition was so comically incompetent.

But the worst thing about season 2 was Spacey got noticeably less screen time.

Here's hoping this season is better.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I would like more Spacey time, but watching both seasons back to back like I did, I didn't notice an appreciable drop in quality from one to the next. I was glad Russo wasn't around because I was tiring of that plot line. Stamper had a good storyline, with huge ramifications going forward. The President was dumb, but I think that was to show he wasn't the same kind of person as Frank.

The show seems to be separating people into two camps, the relatively normal (good) people and the sociopathic who are want power and aren't afraid to Do Stuff to get it, and the President acting stupidly is, I think, supposed to juxtapose with how Frank/Claire/Stamper/Tusk and probably Durant are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best way to start season 3 off with a bang would be Frank tapping the up-and-coming young Senator Selina Meyer for Veep.

Oh god I want that so bad now that I've said it

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

If season 3 does not start with Frank running over Tusk with Air Force 1, I will declare season 2 to be better.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
RE: Veep chat

The House of Cards Wikia page says it's poo poo I don't even want to spoil that for you but it <is> someone we've seen before. Shouldn't take too much time figuring it out with help from the internet

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Real Name Grover posted:

RE: Veep chat

The House of Cards Wikia page says it's poo poo I don't even want to spoil that for you but it <is> someone we've seen before. Shouldn't take too much time figuring it out with help from the internet

I wonder if he would be bold enough to offer the job to Linda Vasquez...

Or he could be asking Doug Stamper who is not dead.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 22, 2015

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
God damnit, you guys, people with serious head wounds take naps in the middle of the forest with their eyes open ALL THE TIME.

Stamper's not dead.

:smith:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, as much as y'all are talking about who VP will be, I think Frank's choice for chief of staff is a lot more intriguing.

(Assuming Doug is dead, because he is)

E: Oh god dammit \/\/

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 22, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Real Name Grover posted:

(Assuming Doug is dead, because he is)

His body laying there is not conclusive evidence of his death.

Also, Netflix did a PR stunt accidentally released the first 10 episodes by mistake not too long ago, and Doug is seen recuperating in the hospital.

E: I am not 100% sure about the above statement. Do NOT take it for fact.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 23, 2015

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Is this like those fake Harry Potter spoilers that came out with the last few books?

Hedwig ain't dead you sons of bitches!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Stamper did 9/11.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ded posted:

Stamper did 9/11.

That's just what the Goverment wants you to Think! Check out my website, dougreport.com for more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know if I want that spoiler to be true or not. :\

• Locked thread