Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Jesus Christ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Literally. :rimshot:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Goddamnit Claire! I was hoping that she'd killed him like a true Underwood but instead we get that stupid outburst.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Love the Colbert cameo, but man is he written poorly. It was nothing like what he does on his show, and read off like someone writing for him who's never seen the show. I mean what host talks over the guest, gleefully throws two "man, did you know you suck?" questions at them, and then tries to offer up his own political commentary. And to the president?

For a show so well written, it was just really odd.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
FU even has the 'growing up on a farm with terrible soil'-ness of LBJ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man the guy who plays Remy is collecting the easiest paycheck in the show so far. He's said all of like ten words yet has been in every episode thus ensuring he gets paid for every episode.

"Now I've got God's ear." Thread title?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally back to it. Did Claire get the ambassador job in between episodes 2 and 3?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Bown posted:

Finally back to it. Did Claire get the ambassador job in between episodes 2 and 3?

Yeah when FU said he'd do the recess appointment that was probably enough

Edit: story-wise I mean

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
That was Stanley Parable he was playing while getting drunk with his writer buddy right? That was just amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This season so far is literally the story of how Doug Stamper becomes the next Frank Underwood. Michael Kelly should get an award nod for this season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Early thoughts post (1 1/2 episodes complete):

-Nobody likes the Underwoods right now and god drat it's fantastic.
-Mendoza/Captain Aceveda's drilling of Claire and the "troops are irrelevant" statement. Beautiful. :tviv:
-Jackie's turned into quite the political twat, hasn't she?
-It's amazing how a little action recharges the batteries, unfortunately.
-Doug's going to turn into a liability by the end of it all.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 27, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CBJSprague24 posted:

-It's amazing how a little action recharges the batteries, unfortunately.

That scene confused me because I was like "...is Claire trying to give Frank a heart attack? Or did he already have one and she's riding his rigor mortis dick?!"

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I love that Rib Man isn't afflicted with a sudden burst of servere TV pride but instead accepts the job offer and even asks for different one

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 27, 2015

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So at least for the first three episodes, myself and roommates have decided they're ending every episode on some sort of hate.

ep1. Hate gently caress
ep2. Hate Breakfast
ep3. Hate Russia

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man... Claire's character bounces around a lot.

Season 1: Mostly being petty & vindictive. Cuts a former employee's healthcare (by forging her signature) and then tells her that she doesn't care if her unborn child rots in her womb as long as she gets what she wants.

Season 2: Not as bad as season 1 but still uses some poor girl that was raped by the same man she was for political purposes.

Season 3: Stands up to Putin in order to honor the memory of a gay man that killed himself.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 27, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Three episodes in and this already might be my favourite season yet.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Started out strong but I'm starting to get bored. The Rachel subplot is the most interesting part.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Started out strong but I'm starting to get bored. The Rachel subplot is the most interesting part.

That plot stopped dead in it's tracks.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is that impossible to win (looks like an FPS) game in e7 real? That indie game from earlier apparently was legit.

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

Finished it all and I'm sad to say I feel like the show ran out of steam from the middle point onwards.

Some problems are solved by the "Let's just not mention them again" logic, people act absolutely out of character and one guy just straight up vanishes with an explanation that would have fit Poochie more.

And the impossible to win game is The Stanleys Parabel, and it's on Steam.

Oh, and also Stupidest death ever, that sudden cut almost made me believe I was watching Family Guy

Comrade Kirov fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 27, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I miss the scheming and backstabbing. I think that's why I'm really enjoying the bits with Cashew's owner and Doug.

Speaking of Cashew this season is severely lacking.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

On a scale of Season 2 to Season 1, how badly does the plot fizzle out in the middle of the season?

I have really high hopes for this season but if the back half is a snorefest like I found the second half of season 2 then that's just discouraging :sigh:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

FadingChord posted:

On a scale of Season 2 to Season 1, how badly does the plot fizzle out in the middle of the season?

I have really high hopes for this season but if the back half is a snorefest like I found the second half of season 2 then that's just discouraging :sigh:

I'm only halfway through but so far it's been up and down.

edit: Doug gets laid more than anybody on this show

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 27, 2015

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

FadingChord posted:

It's bad... But I mostly blame the high standard I try to hold the show to for it, if this was any other TV show I'd say it's a mediocre season that at tries to find it's footing in a new area.

You get some albeit minimal amount of political intrigue and most of the interesting political stuff and such gets moved to the side so that the B plot can take full spotlight until it ends like a prelonged fart in the last episode.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just give me a show about Gavin and Cashew before all this poo poo went down.

There's nothing Frank loves more than pissing/making GBS threads/spitting on something sacred.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 27, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm near the end and I think it's the most cohesive season yet, but also the most slow and deliberate. There are definitely not as many HOLY gently caress moments as the show has been known for, though Claire's "gently caress you, not-Putin" speech was good.

Like I said earlier Doug Stamper feels like the star of the season weirdly enough. Also, it seems like they dialed back the audience monologues which was disappointing.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Just give me a show about Gavin and Cashew before all this poo poo went down.

That would be great, where the hell was Cashew anyway? :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most of the product placement in this show is ok but the Samsung one in episode 5 where one guy tries to show people a picture on a tablet and then streams it to the Smart TV was awful.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
When Frank pissed on his father's grave I did not care.
When Frank spit a loogie in Jesus's face and then smashed him to bits I did not care.
When Frank visited the Roosevelt memorial I got really really worried.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 27, 2015

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Episode 4: Hate Jesus

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Best quote of the season so far

"JUDAS BITCH"

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

EatinCake posted:

Episode 4: Hate Jesus

You know I think our conservative viewers like Frank too much..... Anyway we can fix that?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Pussy riot was gooooooooood

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'm getting a real Taxi Driver vibe from Stamper about now.

Yeah, on Episode 4, and I'm seeing that too. The solicitor general better not let him get too close to her.

Edit: Yeah, Frank can't even bear to play Call of Duty anymore and has switched to iPhone games and chess.

I can see how this is heading for a midseason slowdown as some posters have said. Frank commits fully to his goals when it's revenge, but he doesn't have a real good reason to keep destroying people. America Works is driving him? It's a dumb plan and what the gently caress does he care about policy anyway?

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 27, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bown posted:

Most of the product placement in this show is ok but the Samsung one in episode 5 where one guy tries to show people a picture on a tablet and then streams it to the Smart TV was awful.

Holy poo poo the product placement.

Monument Valley literally ends unemployment in America.

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

qbert posted:

"I'm sorry mr President, I had to sell my new XBOX ONE due to it being so addictive and good and the fact that Microsoft is just so great and making the best phones :shepspends:"

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
He said only "xbox" so there's that.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I sold my Xbox because the graphics were just too real and I could feel reality slipping away.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
To me that sentence had to be seen in the context of Frank being CoD addict and general gamer while his much younger staffers even sold their age old console and not as an endorsement/product placement.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

qbert posted:

The Stanley Parable is kind of a metaphor for the last guy's presidency if you think about it.

Actually if this leads to Frank Underwood narration DLC for The Stanley Parable then it'll all be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I figured the Stanley Parable thing was an allusion "No matter what you do you lose!" to something but I never played the game.

edit: Mannn I thought Frank was going to get people good jobs. They're washing dishes!

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2015

• Locked thread