Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NO.

Not your lovely US 240SX with a SOHC truck motor.

A REAL ONE.

A God drat Mother loving 1997 180SX Type X.

With an SR20DET

LIKE GOD INTENDED.

I've had this god drat thing for 7 years. I talk about it from time to time and I figured I should try and document where its at and where I am at and whats happening with it so at some point in my life when I make the horrible decision to sell this - one of the few remaining un-hosed examples of this car - I can look back and tell the 19 year old Ken Block wanna-be just how quickly and easily and with great precision he will hit a tree with the rear quarter panel as he attempts to Drift around the corner in front of his high school.

Seven Years. I bought this when I was loving 22. Im 29 now. Does that make me more or less of a douchebag by owning it? Its no longer just a phase in my young-adult life that I will grow out of. I am committed to driving the motorized equivalent of a skateboard through a shopping mall. poo poo, I've been in 3 long-term relationships with this loving car, and its still here. The stupid ex-girlfriends arent. This fucker stands the test of time. Im not bored of loving it yet, and nor is it bored of me.

And I have dabbled a few times now. Every year I think "maybe I'll buy an Evo", or "Hey that R34 GT-R is sorta decently priced and with a 5 year loan I coul-"

NO.

Sinead O'Connor owned an S13.

"Nothing Compares to You"

So here she is in all her Glory on that sunny day in February 2008. Fresh from Japan with 75,000kms and newly Complied with Australian Standards (read: side blinkers moved behind the front wheel arch and literally nothing else that was supposed to be performed). The only modifications being a HKS pod filter, some KYB lowered shocks and Tanabe/RS-R springs, a Momo Steering wheel, a Blitz Nur-R Catback Exhaust, and a Blitz BOV venting to atmosphere (which upon later inspection years later turned out to be TWO blow off Valves - the Blitz and a HKS SSQV that was responsible for the lovely noise). it had a bitching Carozerria tape deck with a single-DIN Graphic EQ beneath it and light up speaker pods in the rear window. It came with a tape of a Japanese crooner in it. This was my soundtrack for a week or two until I had an alarm and a Alpine iPod head unit installed. All this for $14,000. After looking at 10 or so of these things, this was the best one I could find.

I had plans when I bought it on what I wanted to do. I started looking for wheels so I could get some decent rubber. I found a nice set of Work Meister S2s that were already on their way from Japan when I bought them. Score! Then some idiot kid in a lovely Pintara didnt pay attention.

What you see above amounted to $6800 in damage. This did not cover the OEM Kevlar Garnish ($400) or the lower pods/skirt on the rear bumper. I had to source those on my own because insurance companies are cunts. They also replaced my awesome JDM as gently caress exhaust with a lovely locally made one, and installed it so poorly that it cracked an exhaust leak about a month later. Given that it was all going to get taken out again, I had some other bits put in.

Thats right. With no rhyme or reason I spent money on cheap stainless steel Manifold, Dump pipe and Front pipe. The only one of those still left in the car is the Dump pipe (because stainless manifolds are stupid, pointless and break, and the front pipes flex-join would scrape on loving everything). It sounded kinda cool at this point in time. I also had the roof paint damaged by the repairer and some other existing work tidied up paint-wise on the side skirts. She was whole again! I put the wheels on. poo poo was looking good.

Then for a long time, not much happened. I changed wheels in the pursuit of becoming ~~~HELLAFLUSH~~~, upgraded the sidemount intercooler, upgraded brakes and master cylinder to that of an S15, I did a bunch of cosmetic mods like getting rid of the cannon muffler exhaust and switching to some straight 3" tips. a boost tee and some other little bits (boost gauge, stereo repairs) went in over time.

Then I thought "hey a racing seat is a great idea for my daily driver" and did something stupid:

Then I promptly sold the wheels (18s look poo poo and handle worse) and went back to the now-haggard-rear end Meisters, sold the seat and went back to factory stool. about a year and a bit after that I finished a 5 stud conversion with new rotors, less dusty street performance pads and Enkei RPF1s - 17x9 +22 all round with 245/40/17 Kumho KU31s. This is when we hit peak appearance.

But nothing really amazing with the car happened then, for a long time except for a bunch of stickers being added and removed to the rear window.

a bunch of lovely money problems happened with my then-girlfriend, she hosed me over emotionally and financially and forced me back home to my parents place once we split. I also quit my job because small, privately owned MSPs are terrible places to try and advance a career. and did my first track day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNW6ZUU0wcM

Thats when I decided that I wanted my car to be more fun. I had got myself out of debt, got myself emotionally repaired and a new girlfriend and job, and was using my time and money to achieve what I wanted - a sick car that gets all (none) of the bitches.

First came the turbo. I tried once before when I thought my T25 was dead. but it was not to be - the T28 I had bought to replace it was flawed in ways my then-sadness riddled brain didnt identify. So the T25 went back in (it was just a blown gasket), only to come out about 10 months later for a freshly rebuilt T28. This allowed for a bit more boost, flowing more air, and retaining a mostly sain amount of turbo lag- still plenty of response, helped along by ditching the lovely China-Stainless manifold and returning to the factory one. Also some braided lines for ease of installation/removal.

Then I decided that the suspension, while firm and good, was not good enough. I did my research and decided on MCA coilovers in 6/4KG springs. They feel mostly the same but handle bigger bumps better. They also are adjustable and serviceable in Australia, and the team are awesome to deal with. Oh, they also just happen to have the Fastest RWD car at WTAC every year, and supply the top teams at WTAC with their suspension. So, you know, they are slightly better than your typical 10KG/8KG spring set of stance coilovers with no travel and a 32 point adjustment that is either soft or hard with 30 un-noticable clicks in the middle.

Then I figured my catalytic converter was a heap of poo poo so I put in a catalytic converter that was still terrible at doing its job but nowhere near as restrictive. I also removed the whistle and plumbed in my SSQV BOV to elminate the terrible noise.

And then I bought an electronic boost controller because bleed valves spike and are unreliable right? Also Graphs loving own.

Next I bought a new fuel pump because you dont want to lean out and break something. and some used S15 440cc fuel injectors to make sure it gets delivered properly! I got them flow tested and cleaned and serviced before install and therefore took no pictures.

also my radiator broke. so it got bigger and shinier.

later, I bought a Nistune daughterboard for my ECU to tune it all to really dial in the 'reliability' of it all. The Nistune is a locally developed board and software and its big advantage over others like an Apexi Power FC is that its plug and play, and retains all the factory conveniences like a limp mode tune, A/C tune, etc. I didnt even have down time - they sent me a pre-installed ECU and I sent mine back for a refund. it can be expanded to include E-flex/E85 tuning and launch control and other cool poo poo too.

Then I took it to a tuner. At which point my tuner decided to inform me that my intercooler and BOV leaked like sieves. and my boost controller wasnt dialled in. so I spent $900 on busy work (fixing up a lot of questionable bits and pieces) and to be told 'come back when your car gits gud'. Okay :unsmith:

So I took care of the intercooler problem by getting a big gently caress-off intercooler and a Turbosmart Bov with recirculating fittings.

And wanted it black, for stealth.

Then I went back to my tuner and this happened!

Pretty nice. For the idiot Imperial system havers, thats 250HP @ 21PSI. poo poo is FUN The clutch started to fail due to the new found power, so they didnt finish the 'street' tune of 21PSI (mostly just the boost controller, the computer doesnt change maps based on the amount of boost and is just an AFR game). they said to gut the cat and it'll get close to 200kW.

So with all that done, I was ready for my next track day. I drove down and stayed with a bunch of friends that night at the track, ready for the day of fun-having. Some light prep.

About my second or third session, poo poo went dumb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLnzscgov4c

Yes, I spent 2-3 months preparing for a track day that I ruined with one simple mistake: I didnt think to buy new tyres. I mean my tyres werent bad, but they werent good either.

So yeah I busted a rear upright and my Enkei RPF1s so I bought a set of Buddy clubs. Same offset, 17x8. got Nitto Invos in the same size because I know what I like. back on the road and an expensive and demotivating lesson was learned.

Then clutch started to give up, so I put in an Exedy HD organic single, good for 200kW. whats more interesting is the factory clutch was what I pulled out, and it still had a few mm of meat left on it. well done, old girl. Well done.

To round out the new year and with the car back in shape, I did one last track day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r4i_tfEeyY

Just last month I went to Japan for some snowboarding and bought a bunch of poo poo for my car because why the gently caress not right?

And thats about where I am now. Goals this year are to get more track time, get some new street wheels (probably more RPF1s) and use the buddy clubs for track with some nice Semis. The buddy clubs are already pretty bad paint-wise so I care less about them and Semis in 235/40/17 might be a bit cheaper.

I have some stuff on the way, and some small things in mind for the future that I wont spoil yet, but as its my daily driver I dont want to go too much further. The cars drivability is still there and although a little rough to ride in long distance its still a really great car to do it all - Ive driven 600kms to the snow and back with a buddy and our gear, I've moved band equipment and moved house twice in it - the hatch just swallows poo poo whole with the seat down - something not many other sport cars can manage, and a large contributor to why I havent upgraded to an S15.

What the car NEEDS right now is a lot of TLC on the exterior. the paint is literally falling off in a few places, so I dont know what to do. a proper respray aint cheap, and the next cheapest option, vinyl wrapping (in gloss white, gently caress dumb matte colours) isnt really that much cheaper and not as strong anyway. I have thought briefly about doing cams, maybe a slightly larger/more responsive turbo (new turbos are insane compared to this dinosaur T2x bullshit) but its a lot of money for not a lot of power. E85 isnt abundant enough in my area to go to a weird tune that gets lovely mileage.

I will keep the thread as active as one can when they do the occasional poo poo to their car that is mildly interesting. its coming up on a major service which will probably involve a new timing chain amongst other things, but the water pump has already been replaced so thats off the cards.

So like Every other AI build thread you've seen the rise, fall, financial and romantic hardships of another goon, just in a much more condensed form. heres hoping its just all up-swing this year because I really have no loving idea what kind of car I would buy if I ever lost this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

quote:

With an SR20DET

LIKE GOD INTENDED.

Pokey and I approve.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Sweet car!

Pretty sure I remember this car from a few threads ago. Only snarky thing I'd like to say is 250whp from a T28 at 21psi is kinda low IIRC. Back in my fwd sr20det days, I swear people where getting close to 300whp on a T28.

An appropriately sized GTX series turbo would make this a loving rocket. Or since you have the room, a custom header with an evo8/evo9 turbo, they're cheap turbos in the states and have OEM dependability. My friend's 8v 2.3l (with a poo poo head) gets 20psi by 2400rpm. 400whp capable too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't have much to contribute, except that I had to laugh at the headlights popping up when you lost it.

It was like the car went completely wide-eyed and said OH gently caress OH poo poo OH gently caress to itself.

Always great to see a clean S13. Looks pretty similar (body wise) to what we got here, except for the taillights. And obviously, you don't have the truck engine.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Man I keep looking at import sites for clean PS13's, but its got to be a k's and then I realise I could have an S15 for just a little bit more. Strangely this feels like me but instead of an s chassis I chose a turbo sw20 instead when I was 22, apart from the fact i'm on my second and the first one was a bit of a shitter that I ended up breaking for parts out of frustration.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We may have got a truck engine but we did get the "Onevia" from the factory :smugbird:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I hate to say it but hell, the silvia front looks nicer than the 180SX

Although that could be just because every european spec S13 was pretty much just a 180SX with a CA18DET and every single one of them is a rusty shitbox.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They do look better than the facelifted round nose cars, I'm mainly talking about the piggies here.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

mafoose posted:

Sweet car!

Pretty sure I remember this car from a few threads ago. Only snarky thing I'd like to say is 250whp from a T28 at 21psi is kinda low IIRC. Back in my fwd sr20det days, I swear people where getting close to 300whp on a T28.

An appropriately sized GTX series turbo would make this a loving rocket. Or since you have the room, a custom header with an evo8/evo9 turbo, they're cheap turbos in the states and have OEM dependability. My friend's 8v 2.3l (with a poo poo head) gets 20psi by 2400rpm. 400whp capable too.

I should clarify this is power at the wheels.

T28s "cant really handle" much more than 17PSI. The tuner (a very reputable one) configured my boost controller for 17PSI as a track tune, and 21 for the street tune. The argument is that track work is going to see the car riding at full boost anywhere that isnt a corner, while street might just be a quick pull in second and maaaaybe third gear, and by then you're really breaking the law. At 21PSI its technically out of efficiency but it means the wastegate has been held shut just a little bit longer, contributing to a steep boost curve and a better hit of torque for :siren: street racing :siren:. as soon as it hits 21 its already bleeding back to 17 pretty rapidly.

He said even if it was an S14/15 SR20 with the variable cam timing, it wouldnt be much higher than 200Kw. he was actually surprised at how well the car responded to tuning, minus the clutch giving up.

As for the turbo, yeah the GTX version of the Disco Potato (GT2860RS) would be nice but I'd need a custom manifold and exhaust (at least turbo - cat part) and that basically doubles the cost. Maybe when theres some cheap Chinese Stainless ones on ebay that I can buy and replace easily as they die. Lord knows I am sick of pulling the turbo to fix lovely blown exhaust gaskets. Borg Warner is doing some cool poo poo too.

some texas redneck posted:

I don't have much to contribute, except that I had to laugh at the headlights popping up when you lost it.

It was like the car went completely wide-eyed and said OH gently caress OH poo poo OH gently caress to itself.

Always great to see a clean S13. Looks pretty similar (body wise) to what we got here, except for the taillights. And obviously, you don't have the truck engine.

Yeah I definitely went wide eyed along with the car. I was freaking out more because it wouldnt start after it happened, and when it did I drove off the track crab style. Luckily my friend had a trailer there so I drove his Turbo'd Suzuki Swift home and looked at my gammy-wheeled car on the trailer for 2hrs driving home :(

The tail lights are because its a Type X. between 89 and 94 they had the standard 240SX look - from 95 to 98 they gave the front and rear a facelift. Most people prefer the Type X tail lights but I like both.

track day bro! posted:

I hate to say it but hell, the silvia front looks nicer than the 180SX

Although that could be just because every european spec S13 was pretty much just a 180SX with a CA18DET and every single one of them is a rusty shitbox.

Didnt you guys get them all badged as 200SX with the SR20DET?

And yeah, My original plans were to get a 180sx, do a silvia front end conversion because the round nose was ugly as sin (and Sil80s are cool as poo poo) and then get a Vertex body kit. All the Type X models I had seen didnt have the extra front lip or the rear skirt/pods and looked a bit goofy.

Then I saw this one and it was straight and clean and looked cool so I bought it :)

Human Grand Prix posted:

They do look better than the facelifted round nose cars, I'm mainly talking about the piggies here.

Yes. Typical preference on the various forums is Type X> CA18DET pig nose (because the 90s are so in right now)>SR20 facelift

Something I forgot earlier: When I bought the car it had 75,000KMs, or there abouts. Anyway, in recent years a lot of grey importers have been accused of winding back odometers before selling the cars. Pretty common practice most of the world over I imagine. Anyway, some enterprising young chap decided to start a business, and for $35 Australian dollars, he will contact the Japanese road authority with the VIN and get the cars deregistration papers (which are mandatory before the car is exported)

My car left Japan with 192,600KMs on the clock

given that my Odometer currently reads as 195xxx, thats like what, 310,000KMs?

yeah. and the thing still made more power than the tuner expected it to, and still runs like a loving champ. Only major failure was a water pump (and I guess the radiator)

All hail the SR20.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Didnt you guys get them all badged as 200SX with the SR20DET?

And yeah, My original plans were to get a 180sx, do a silvia front end conversion because the round nose was ugly as sin (and Sil80s are cool as poo poo) and then get a Vertex body kit. All the Type X models I had seen didnt have the extra front lip or the rear skirt/pods and looked a bit goofy.

Then I saw this one and it was straight and clean and looked cool so I bought it :)

Nope we got the CA18DET all the way upto 1994 when we got the S14 with SR20DE and DET also badged as a 200SX, these are now pretty much mostly rusty shitboxes. This is the reason if I ever buy an S-chassis its going to have to be a fairly fresh grey import.

I dont blame you for not wanting to put a silvia front on your car though, it looks nice as is tbh.

As for different turbos, cant you just get a manifold adapter and downpipe instead of a whole new manifold? Or does the std manifold not flow well?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

Something I forgot earlier: When I bought the car it had 75,000KMs, or there abouts. Anyway, in recent years a lot of grey importers have been accused of winding back odometers before selling the cars. Pretty common practice most of the world over I imagine. Anyway, some enterprising young chap decided to start a business, and for $35 Australian dollars, he will contact the Japanese road authority with the VIN and get the cars deregistration papers (which are mandatory before the car is exported)

My car left Japan with 192,600KMs on the clock

given that my Odometer currently reads as 195xxx, thats like what, 310,000KMs?
That's hilarious. Some guy here imported an R32 GTST when they became available for Canadian importation and found under his passenger seat the export paperwork that said his car had another 200,000 km on it than the odometer claimed.

Then he started adding up why the seat, steering wheels, pedal, shift knob and carpet were so worn out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A ton came over like that. Listing the nismo speedometer as a positive feature.

Only 30,000 kms!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My car had a bimta certificate which is meant to verify mileage at time of import. Although when I got my hands on it the thing had already done 200,000km. Plus very few grey imports actualy have them so god knows what mileage most of them have.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

track day bro! posted:

Nope we got the CA18DET all the way upto 1994 when we got the S14 with SR20DE and DET also badged as a 200SX, these are now pretty much mostly rusty shitboxes. This is the reason if I ever buy an S-chassis its going to have to be a fairly fresh grey import.

I dont blame you for not wanting to put a silvia front on your car though, it looks nice as is tbh.

As for different turbos, cant you just get a manifold adapter and downpipe instead of a whole new manifold? Or does the std manifold not flow well?

Wikipedia seems to be lying then about the 200sx stuff.

I suppose you could make an adapter although if you have the tools and skills to make a metal flange that mounts between two differing faces, you probably also have the tools and skills to just cut the flange off and put on a new one.

Standard manifold is good for up to 250kW at the wheels, probably more.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's hilarious. Some guy here imported an R32 GTST when they became available for Canadian importation and found under his passenger seat the export paperwork that said his car had another 200,000 km on it than the odometer claimed.

Then he started adding up why the seat, steering wheels, pedal, shift knob and carpet were so worn out.

Mine was in really good condition for its age. like, exceptionally good. the drivers seat is starting to sag a bit but hey, thats what happens.

I mean its weird. some parts show their age (the water pump died about 20,000kms ago) but other stuff like the interior andsuspension arms and bushings are all in great condition, and its all factory stuff (except for the tension rods which are adjustable).

I dont know how or why the whole 'Japanese people never drive their cars' thing started, but it was most definitely a product of Dodgy grey importers. Japans Transport is fantastic but they definitely drive their cars a lot too, especially fun cars.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I was hoping this would be a thread about yours. With the RPF-1s man, looks loving cleaannnnn. Massive fan of the hatchback 13s. I've got a dodgy import with questionable kilometres, just gotta keep an eye on all your fluids etc!

Although I'm genuinely surprised you didn't do a major service when you got it - I'm kinda fanatical about that. First 'mod' I did when I got my Chaser was a timing belt, water pump and all the ancillaries. Again though, yours looks amazing! I just wish I'd fit in one :sigh:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

fingerling posted:

I was hoping this would be a thread about yours. With the RPF-1s man, looks loving cleaannnnn. Massive fan of the hatchback 13s. I've got a dodgy import with questionable kilometres, just gotta keep an eye on all your fluids etc!

Although I'm genuinely surprised you didn't do a major service when you got it - I'm kinda fanatical about that. First 'mod' I did when I got my Chaser was a timing belt, water pump and all the ancillaries. Again though, yours looks amazing! I just wish I'd fit in one :sigh:

I probably did, I dont remember. I had a 100,000km service done (at what was obviously significantly more than 100,000kms) but still should probably consider having the timing chain replaced along with other stuff like plugs, oil, filter, gearbox, and I will be ignoring the diff til I decide what I wanna do with it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
If I were you, I'd work on your hand-on-wheel placement. Your off wasn't really the tires fault as you caught the slide and could have continued the corner, you just couldn't recover properly. It's possible your hands were just crossed up. I always point the camera so I can see my hands.

God that car is pretty.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ziploc posted:

If I were you, I'd work on your hand-on-wheel placement. Your off wasn't really the tires fault as you caught the slide and could have continued the corner, you just couldn't recover properly. It's possible your hands were just crossed up. I always point the camera so I can see my hands.

God that car is pretty.

My hand placement wasnt bad, as that was my first "serious" track day - the other track is much smaller and more casual (top speed is maybe 120-130km/h before you are on brakes) and I was sorta freaking out due to knowing the tyres were on the way out.

you're probably right, and Im not blaming the tyres for it.

A friend also commented saying that it looked to him more like the viscous LSD let go. Something about them being lovely mid-drift when you have a decent amount over factory power because they can essentially overcome the locking action of the fluid because of the momentum of the rings in the fluid just eventually gets it to unspool.

Stuff is happening this week/end. I also want to kill whoever invented white wheels. Holy poo poo keeping them clean is the worst.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 23, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Today, I got some overnight parts from Japan (Melbourne)

These are East Bear Sports Sigma seats. Legend has it that they manufactured the R34 GTR seats for Nissan, and then just used the design for their own seats with different fabric. These fit better than GTR seats in Silvias because you dont need to weld an extension onto the factory rail. Instead, you just use after market rails (with all their own problems as I found out)

I looked at a pair of these last year that had never been used and passed on them because I thought 'gently caress this I dont need racing seats its not a race car'. Then I did a track day and instantly decided I need a better seat. Rather than opt for a fixed back that went in/out as per required, I trawled around and it turned out another guy on the same forum had some of these seats. I dibs'd them about 6 months ago and then he decided to sell his car, and gave me the heads up on the seats. Slightly worn, but significantly cheaper than the other pair so I am glad I held out.

Original seats are going into the spare room for when I sell the car (lol). I could sell them now but I'd get more for these rare as gently caress East Bear seats later so I'll just do the swap when the time comes.

They are pretty comfortable, not as restrictive as the previous Bride Digo Type-R and shouldnt upset my girlfriend (unless she finds out how much I paid for them :v: )

I need to remove them again and elongate the holes laterally so that I can move it closer to center of the wheel. Originally they were bolted a good 2 inches to the right, now its about .75" so its better but still not ideal, but it started raining so I gave up for the night.

Oh and Im pretty sure my seat mounting points are stripping out :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Track day is booked for next Wednesday. Going to throw down against a work buddy in his Renault Megane 225 (lol) and some S2ks. Maybe there will be some other cars there. This will be my first visit back to the track that I hosed up the rear suspension on.

Contemplating the possibility/stupidity of buying a set of Nitto NT05s @ $179 a corner. My Nitto Invos are only a few months old and I dont really have the space to keep a spare set of tyres just laying around though.

Whoooole lotta stuff to do this weekend in preparation so more detailed update then.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I loving love 180sx's and I plan to buy one when i can afford a second (stupid) car.

It's not an s13, but here's my s15 that I sold last year, owned her for the previous 10 before that, daily drove it and pretty much nothing broke on it in that whole time.

I sold it to a kid in Byron Bay and by all accounts the kid had massive problems getting it registered from all the phone calls and messages I got from him after the fact. Either that or its wrapped around a tree now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cool man, I love S15s, but I cant own one. Its basically what I already own, but im selling one to buy one and spend more money.

I sort of wish they werent so expensive when I bought this, though if I had the money for an S15 then, I would definitely have bought this personal import JDM GC8 STI wagon that I stumbled across way back when.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Oh I agree, when I got it it was about 30 grand. However I disnt actually pay any money for it, a close friend passed away who bought it and I inherited it.

I miss it daily but have been happy driving around an econobox for the last 9 months, but have recently been wanting something a little different.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Engine buddy!

I need to stop neglecting my '89.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

D C posted:

Engine buddy!

I need to stop neglecting my '89.

you dont really need to. they are pretty hardy. You need to stop neglecting timg tags though :colbert:

:siren: UPDATE TIME :siren:

pre-emptive maintenance. On the list was a few things, and then they quickly grew to a lot of things because I have poor self control.

We have:
Coolant
Gearbox oil + additive
Diff oil
Spark plugs
track day oil
post-track day oil
Project Mu HC800 street/track pads
Filters
Steering Rack bushes
Auto trans fluid (for power steering)
not pictured: Third brake light globes

Today was spent in the most JDM of ways. I went to check out some Bonsai at a local nursery and was simultaneously amazed and depressed that my car is worth as much as some very amazing tiny trees. Then I went and had Karaage for lunch at a new food court nearby.

Then I came home and stuck my car in the garage and got to loving chops.

I jacked up the diff with my ancient lovely trolly jack and drained the oil. It has a viscous LSD so the smell wasnt too bad, but definitely stunk like it had never been done before (and the magnetic plug was definitely dirty as gently caress, in addition to the nice silvery sheen on the bottom of my drip tray). it was relatively painless but needed to be lowered off the jack to drain as the plug is at the rear.

Yay smelly oil!

Yay less smelly oil! This isnt some elaborate perpetual pumping device, it has a nice little spot for the hooked bit to rest in while its not in use. This pump jammed about 6 times while under the car. Good times.

While the Diff drained I drained the coolant and refilled with excellent precision:

I also changed the oil with the same precision and removed the oil filter with equally as much:

I now have a nice big lovely stain on the garage floor. Also a green one from the coolant. My dads 300ZX is normally there so its not like oil stains are new :allears:

Tomorrow I will do the trans and probably the steering bush, then Tuesday will be brake day because I fully anticipate the pads to be noisy as poo poo and produce a shitload of dust (RIP white wheels). Gotta keep at least some semblance of a daily driver.

Wednesday is track day.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Brake pads are in. Was going to do gearbox but Hercules himself has tightened my filler plug so there is no chance of scrawny-rear end me getting it undone while on jackstands. Skipped right to the brake pads. Found a sticky Piston that needed way more coercing than should be necessary (G-Clamp and a breaker bar) and then the other side went in without even removing the caliper.

Labelled the street pads for their appropriate sides/positions and put them away.

Hoooooly gently caress do these pads stop. and stop. AND STOP. hit them with some nice 80km/h stops to zero and they just kept doing it, and got better as they got hotter. Still very compliant on the street but I think the sticky piston is causing a problem with pedal sponge.

I figure i might use the spark plugs on the day if the miss I have been having at WOT continues, but i think it was just a matter of re-gapping.

A few pics due to me not wanting to get brake dust all over my iphone.

Old pads out

New pads in

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I was given an S12 once with a blown 8v engine. So I dropped a SR20DET into it and went drifting until the rest of the car was completely shot. Well that is my story.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Laserface posted:

you dont really need to. they are pretty hardy. You need to stop neglecting timg tags though :colbert:

Looks fine on my screen...

Anyway it needs all the fluids changed including the diff, I need to pull the poo poo alarm out so the battery stops draining, and I need to figure out whats wrong with the steering rack. It's been mostly sitting in my work shop for the last 2 years.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Track day trip report: no damage. Covered in rubber, brakes and soot. drove home in one piece. The sticky piston seemed to get free'd up by the stupid amounts of heat that I could put into the rotors/pads, which didnt fade all day. Still, I found a cheap pair of R33 Skyline calipers which im going to upgrade to (296mm vs 280mm rotors) and maybe some rear 2-pots too down the line.

Tyres went super well at around 35PSI hot. Wear marks on the tyres indicate camber is pretty much dialled. I also had the coilovers set at the softest setting all round. Next time I will set them at the halfway point and experiment around.

started out with a time of 1:18 and whittled that down to a 1:14.3 by the end of the day. All in all very happy, much fun would race again. Theres lots of room for turn 1 to be improved, for sure, probably by getting into second gear, which would probabl benefit exit from the final turn also.

Here is a 3 Camera clip of the end of the day. The fourth camera (inside car) had a lovely mount and was swinging up/down with the entertia of cornering so isnt really that good. I spent more time figuring out multicam when I got home than I did on the track. Truly that is the real competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzlrwEL31y8

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That Excel was fucken hoonig along.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I passed him next lap, and then had to do a cool down.

the GTI was an rear end in a top hat - no track etiquette at all, slow as gently caress. 10 cars banked up all passed him on the straight in one hit.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I really like your car. They are just a timeless design I think. I've always wanted an S15 too and when the 25 year rule hits in the US I might have to seriously look into getting one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Minor update.

Bought some R33 skyline brakes over the weekend.

fronts are currently 280mm diameter with cast iron 4 pot callipers, rears are 258mm non ventilated with single sliding piston calliper.

The new fronts are 296mm with alloy 4 pot callipers (they weigh nothing in comparison) and the rears are 297mm and ventilated with 2 pot callipers.

The rear brakes also house a drum handbrake setup inside the hat of the rotor, whereas the current brakes use the hydraulic system for the handbrake. While technically larger than the fronts the braking power isnt the same.

This was a good get as I couldn't find the drum assemblies for sale anywhere and while fronts alone were cheap I wanted to do the whole lot. This guy had all the parts required and enough left over that I can sell my current gear as a complete 5-stud conversion in addition to the skyline-centric uprights and arms and probably make my money back.

Still need to get an r34 brake master cylinder to go with them to correct the bias and an adapter plate for the handbrake cables

Not sure if I will leave them red or repaint them after stripping and rebuilding.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 26, 2015

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:awesome:

White car, red brakes, classic.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah but I have white Buddy Club P1 wheels that feature blue valve stems with blue stickering or Enkei RPF1s in silver that have blue valve stems.

Gold or bronze was an idea but I think I will probably just end up re-doing them red. whoever did this particular job didnt do an amazing job.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

When you accidentally push the O2 sensor bung inside the car, it's probably smart to do the hard work to reseat it before the car fills with water.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Laserface posted:

Gold or bronze was an idea but I think I will probably just end up re-doing them red. whoever did this particular job didnt do an amazing job.

Since the car is black do them red and get some carbon fibre valve stems :coal:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its white?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ok fine I didn't look at the OP but one with a black car I thought was.

Go green with the wheels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was talking about the brake calipers.

but I am going to spruce up the white wheels.

• Locked thread