Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Preemptively making a note, I hosed up and kept calling the roman gods greek names in this one. I realized it after we recorded and couldn't be assed to go back and fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Thoughts as I'm watching this

A)Ok, how did our main character figure out that "Oh gently caress, daddy got iced by the Emperor not barbarians!" from seeing a dagger?

B) How would a peaceful army show up with war engines and towers within 2 minutes of learning their leader is dead?

C) is this still London? Why does it have Lord of the Rings sized walls?

D) yay for a medieval stereotype for the siege.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Eobarocum, modern York. Roman colonies were characteristically ordered, unlike the famously chaotic capital. Or the pseudo-medieval York in Ryse.

But I can't really begrudge them for it. It's obvious by now that they actually wanted to adapt Game of Thrones.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 20, 2015

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
So first off Many thanks to Tyty and Novel for stepping in for me in my time of great business/need. Luckily things will be winding down soon and I'll be able to knock the rest of this out before it winds up again... :/

But yes, I apologize for the poo poo gameplay in this, especially at the start. I actually made sure to do a practice run and I absolutely regret not recording that because gently caress me if I didn't bang it out beautifully in 30min while looking like I actually knew what I was doing (I seriously did know what I was doing the 2nd time around I was just extremely busy at the time and knew I couldn't leave you guys hanging forever... And it resulted in botched gameplay). Anyway I hate to make promises after all the times I've said "The next ep is on the way!," but I will say I'm going to make a huge effort to have the next ep recorded by mid-week next week and I'll be setting a date for recording with the illustrious LP Superstar: The One-And-Only Pins (who I was unable to record with due to my being busy as gently caress for the past month...) I think it'll be a fun one so sit tight.

Finally: >mfw Marius ded but not ded but not 'reborn someone else' just Marius except now he's Damocles #lolSummerSpirit #TotesInThePantheonRite

Also interesting tidbit. Remember in the first video when Marius' dad gets shanked and he looks at the sword and goes all cryptic saying, "Save Rome from 'THEM'"? He was referring to the fact a blade, bearing Nero's symbol, was used by a barbarian to kill his family and basically all other political opposition to the Nero dictatorship. Of course in this ep, Marius sees the same symbol again on another blade, the one used to kill Oswald and it clicks: His father wanted him to retaliate against Nero, not the barbarians. I figure most of you caught that, but I point it out anyway because the story, despite being extremely straightforward to move the game, managed to be convoluted as gently caress in these intricacies, so much so that I only ever noticed until I played through a second time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If Nero wanted to hide that he was responsible for killing Marius's family, why did he give them one of his special daggers? If he didn't, why did he bother using barbarians?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

There's a perfectly logical explanation for all of that: because Nero is an idiot and thought it would be a great idea to supply enemies of the state with one-of-a-kind weaponry that is easily identifiable.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

There's a perfectly logical explanation for all of that: because Nero is an idiot and thought it would be a great idea to supply enemies of the state with one-of-a-kind weaponry that is easily identifiable.
It works for Vladimir Putin :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think the Romans were quite that good at propaganda.
edit: Obvious bait for more discussion, yeah. I'm basically asking to be corrected.
edit2: Their attitudes seem to be rather similar though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 21, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I don't think the Romans were quite that good at propaganda.
edit: Obvious bait for more discussion, yeah. I'm basically asking to be corrected.
edit2: Their attitudes seem to be rather similar though.

Eh. Internal to External propaganda? Not that great, but they were masters of slandering one another.

Although one of the biggest insults that was commonly thrown around was that "Person X buggers person Y!"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking more along the lines of "all that land is ours by right because we're superior, gods are on our side and they generally don't deserve it anyway". Was there ever a peace movement in Rome?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of "all that land is ours by right because we're superior, gods are on our side and they generally don't deserve it anyway". Was there ever a peace movement in Rome?

Not that I can remember. For the most part having military Conquest was a feather in your cap to solidify your political holdings, and service within the military was a stepping stone to becoming a Senator. If it was determined "hey, we're going to war" no questions were asked that we know of. And there's nothing like the Lysistrata in Roman culture that I know of.

(For those who don't know Lysistrata was a Greek play where the women of a greek city decide to stop the fighting by withholding sex from their husbands... In a time when all parts were played by men).

Oh, and if the Roman's thought the enemies Gods were to powerful, they'd just perform a ceremony and the Gods would switch sides if they did it right.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

anilEhilated posted:

The Pax Romana?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Jade Star posted:

The Pax Romana?

That was more about maintaining peace within the empire than with outside states.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Octavian/Augustus claimed that during his reign the gates of the temple of Janus, which were only closed during times when all of Rome was at peace, were closed three times when he was Princeps and only twice in total before he was there. Of course, this was in his Res Gestae which is pretty much THE propaganda work of Augustus so accuracy etc etc

"As for the Gates of Janus Quirinus, which our ancestors wanted closed whenever through the whole area of the imperium of the Roman People, by land and by sea, peace had been secured by victories--although before I was born from the founding of the city only twice in all it had been closed according to tradition--three times while I was Princeps the Senate ordered them closed."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm not a historian, but I always had the impression that the Roman ideal of "peace" was "we murdered every motherfucker who dared raise a hand against us".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm not a historian, but I always had the impression that the Roman ideal of "peace" was "we murdered every motherfucker who dared raise a hand against us".

I.e., Calgacus's Maxim.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think there were some scholars in Rome that were critical of war (since of course, few cultures, especially so large as Rome, are ever truly 100% monolithic), but such criticisms tended to be framed along intellectual lines rather than moral ones. Ie, 'this is going to come back to bite us', or 'what is the benefit to this conflict exactly?' and 'we need those men working on our farms', rather than 'war is bad in and of itself and therefore we should stop fighting'. The consequences of war were considered worse than war itself, which particularly in the early days of the Republic, often was quite necessary - its been said that Rome is the rare case that 'conquered the world in self-defence'.

Of course, how well that holds up to scrutiny, particularly in the later years, is very debatable.

Less so is the design here.

Now, Roman Walls could get big. Here's an example, albeit one that's been modified and broken down by later medieval usage (hence the difference in wall fabric). The Romans were aware that 'tall enough that two dudes working together can't climb over' was a good measure, though there was a lot of variables down to whatever was available. In the example I just showed, this was a coastal fort near some exposed cliffs - easy to find loose pieces of flint en masse.

Now, what might have resulted in 'York' having the walls it does in game is some confusion stemming from real life. York does have walls that were, technically, first laid by the Romans and are commonly known as the 'roman walls' as a result, and are very much a medieval style defence. Because the current versions of the walls were made in the medieval period, in turn because the actual roman walls had fallen into disrepair, and the area still remained pretty important. The insides of the city really, really aren't roman in any fashion except maybe the courthouse, and even that's more of a broadly 'this is fancy roman architecture' thing, rather than anything that would actually consider how much all that marble and opulence would cost. Whilst the area would be kind of valuable to the romans, it was still a far removed point near the very edges of the empire, and its doubtful they'd invest that much in, y'know, a courthouse.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Shinji117 posted:

Octavian/Augustus claimed that during his reign the gates of the temple of Janus, which were only closed during times when all of Rome was at peace, were closed three times when he was Princeps and only twice in total before he was there. Of course, this was in his Res Gestae which is pretty much THE propaganda work of Augustus so accuracy etc etc

"As for the Gates of Janus Quirinus, which our ancestors wanted closed whenever through the whole area of the imperium of the Roman People, by land and by sea, peace had been secured by victories--although before I was born from the founding of the city only twice in all it had been closed according to tradition--three times while I was Princeps the Senate ordered them closed."

My history professor told us that in the entire roman republic and empire, the gates of Janus were closed a sum total of two times.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Calax posted:

My history professor told us that in the entire roman republic and empire, the gates of Janus were closed a sum total of two times.

Sounds like your history prof. was a Augustus denier.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
Chapter VI Collectibles

So our collectibles this time finally throw some cards on the table and let us know who our magical albino friend is. If you haven't figured it out yet, I'll say he's actually part of the Greek/Roman pantheon and, while not the most well remembered, played a role in Roman society. Summer spirit was invented by Crytek as a yin to his yang, if you will.

Chapter VI - Scrolls
Chapter VI - Vistas
Chapter VI - Chronicles

And Good News! The primary portion of the next chapter has been recorded. I just need to do some cutting and splicing for one or two things I missed. Unfortunately its a long chapter and I was bound to miss some stuff, so expect some sneaky transitions.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh, they do try to explain why that giant army was there with siege weapons. Probably should have included that in the actual game somehow.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
I'm back baby! Also (.Y.)'s.

So I just wanted to point out I've still be kinda busy lately, but I should be regularly updating the LP through the end. I also want to thank Pins for offering to guest host. We couldn't find a good time, but many thanks just the same. I think Tyty, PoorlyWrittenNovel, and I will ride this game through to the end.

Chips Challenged fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 7, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That arena sure does contain quite advanced and sophisticated mechanisms, even for Romans. Now historicallly, aaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhh

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If there one sure sign that a game went through massive cuts, its "And then the hero travelled somewhere with 0 incident."

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I think we've established that this game takes place in a setting loosely based on history.

Very loosely based.

I'm pretty sure Titus Pullo would have an apt metaphor for how loosely based in history the game is. Probably something involving prostitutes. Or gauls.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.

MA-Horus posted:

I'm pretty sure Titus Pullo would have an apt metaphor for how loosely based in history the game is. Probably something involving prostitutes. Or gauls.

Haha I was gonna try making more HBO Rome references throughout this, but I figured it was a bit too niche. Like I said though, this game was probably derived from a binge watch of the series by Crytek devs because the execution kills feel as if they're directly lifted from the show.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh HARDLY.

You'd need to watch Spartacus for that.

Seriously. Watch Spartacus. The first few episodes are a slog but it evolves to MAGNIFICENCE thanks to John Hannah as Batiatus.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
And Episode 7 - Part 2 is live!

I have to say, despite my not liking these last parts of the game, I had a lot of fun playing and commentating over them. That leaves the finale (and the gladiator mode to show off if I can get to it) which is on its way! Expect it. Soon. :pray:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
On the subject of games that take real historical events for the basis of their game, take a brief look at Shadow of Rome which touches the major plot points around the assassination of Julius Caesar, but also goes a little crazy with it's own story telling for the sake of gameplay. All the majors players are there, Marcus Antonius, Cicero, Octavian/Agustus, Celopatria, Marcus Brutus, etc. And they all mostly fill their historical rolls, Marcus tries to claim Caesars will, defects with Cleo, Sextus shows up late to the party to gently caress everything up, Cicero is lead cock of the Senate, etc. But then the gameplay is about Marcus Vipsainus Agrippa, a real general that served under Agustus, loving poo poo up in gladiatorial combat because that's totally awesome and hella fun. The actual plot is a little silly in places, but they do a good job of keeping the key historical figures in the right places at least. Oh and they do gladiatorial combat pretty well too. Every fight is unique, even in the same arenas. They mix it up with wooden walls, palisades, traps or moats or whatever, and it's perfectly believable, unlike the metal gear VR mission arena we just saw.

so uh.. in short.. I like Shadow of Rome.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 14, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Started Part 6

Sooooo Titus is trying to return Rome to it's people... that thought wouldn't even have entered his head sociologically. By this point in Roman live, the Emperors had been around for so long that the Senate was a total formality and all the power was concentrated in the hands of the Emperor. Literally by the time Titus had been born, nobody could remember when Rome wasn't under the control of Emperors.

For the record, we shouldn't count on any properties about the dead... they can do anything if Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit is to be believed.

Those are some Dead Or Alive level jiggle physics.

On the question about strippers etc. There was no need. Rome had much different views on sex and sexuality than we did, and it was pretty easy to see a naked woman if you wanted to. Basically the entire "party of blood and sex" segment is complete bullshit. To be fair the hookers were classified on the same social rung as dancers and Actors, so low they couldn't be raped... and at one point a mother sued a guy for killing her daughter. Not for recompense for the emotional act or for the crime, but rather for killing her income source. The guy who killed a prostitute, had to pay the mother for lost income.

Also the Romulus and Remus fight, those Hammer dudes have some really bad clipping on their asses (particularly noticeable with the spiky execution). I will come back later.

Why is painted lady in japanese rope bondage?

Again, I should point out that the Collessium wasn't a built until Nero was dead, as a direct response to show that the next dynasty was distancing itself from Nero

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Toward the end of the Pax Romano the idea of returning Rome to the people was coming around naturally. After several corrupt, or inept, or megalomaniac, or all of the above emperors some people thought to see the republic regain its control over Rome.

Hey, at least Ryse got Commodus slightly right. Commodus was a bit nuts and thought himself a reincarnation of Hercules, and would participate in gladiatorial events. I recall him being a wrestler more than a swordsman in the arena, but could have done both. I clearly recall wrestling because he was supposedly assassinated via strangulation by his wrestling trainer, a slave, after being poisoned. So having him die in an arena fight is probably as close to historical accuracy as Ryse is going to give us.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I know it's a really petty complaint, but for a game that's supposed to look so good, is it just me or do all the character models look incredibly dumb? Not even just Marius, there's not a single character in this who doesn't look laughable.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 22, 2015

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
Collectibles Episodes VI & VII

ChapterVII - Chronicles
Chapter VII - Scrolls
Chapter VII - Vistas

This time around we get a -very- revealing comic which tells that all Boudica had to do was cut off two Roman heads to unite every tribe from Britain to North Africa against Rome. Diplomacy didn't take much back then apparently. All this while Marius walked back on the great Roman road we all know as "Via Budget-Cuts." The scrolls don't reveal much of anything this time around. Apparently even Crytek got tired and just reiterated the plot rather than expanding it like they did in previous chapters. The Vistas are always refreshing though. Despite this LP essentially being a sinking ship (my fault entirely) kept afloat by a very small, but dedicated audience, I'll risk running it further into the ground by reiterating for the umpteenth time: Its kept afloat by the art. Seriously Crytek. You guys make a pretty game.

Welp, onward to the finale. Its hit a speedbump or two, but all the source material is ready for it to be compiled and encoded. I'm outright making a promise it will be ready by Saturday. If not, have Geop ban me.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
HERE HAVE YOUR loving FINALE

Just wanna say its been a honor making this. My first LP completed. Feels more like a polished turd more so than a personal masterpiece, but eh... This was partially a learning experience, getting a feel for the technical makeup of an LP, editing audio, piecing together 100Gbs worth of video etc. It helped a lot with presentation too. I know I'm not the most entertaining personality out there, but I feel like as the LP progressed I stopped stressing behind the mic and ended up with a quicker wit than I started with. It was a fun journey and I hope to be back at it again soon. I've already got some plans in the works, but don't hold your breath. Also for those of you desperately wanting to report me for shitposting, you can find the actual finale video linked in this sentence or the first post. Just watch the finale you'll get it. :v:

So what about the other aspects of the game? Well, the super secret thing is that... Multiplayer is actually fun and you can play it solo. I mentioned I wasn't a fan of it and it felt like it was stupidly tacked on, which it is... But after replaying the game and highlighting the lovely plot and bad gameplay mechanics in the campaign... I figure I should throw Crytek a bone. I don't want to send this baby off to the LP archive without doing this game a little justice. It probably won't be a full episode --If anything an addendum-- but I think I'll gather Tyty and PoorlyWrittenNovel (if they're both available and willing) and maybe a few others to do a short stream of the multiplayer gameplay. If we're lucky we may end up seeing an easter egg or two in there (if not, they're not hard to find on youtube).

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Was the better ending.

e: also you desynced your audio pretty hard after the fadeaway cut

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 25, 2015

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.

Jade Star posted:

Was the better ending.

e: also you desynced your audio pretty hard after the fadeaway cut

Yeah... Noticed that earlier. It corrects itself after the Skype crash section. Not much I can do now though seeing as I deleted the source files a few days ago. Feel like an idiot, but oh well. Shine on you turdy LP. Shine on.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Thanks for the pretty good LP of a pretty bad game, Tanks!

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Had it not been for your suffering I'd have probably bought this on Steam summer sale because hey, Rome, hack 'n' slash, can't be that bad right?

So thanks for LPing this gilded pile of a pile, so I could spend the money on beef jerky instead.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

For all the bitching and moaning I did in the videos, I still had fun doing this. It's just that this game is trash. Absolutely mediocre to the point of being boring, and it fucks up actual history so badly. Maybe if it was handled as more than a tech demo it could have been good. Maybe we'll get Ryse 2: Germanic Boogaloo or something someday and it'll actually be well researched and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Unlikely. Gamers eat up just being shown pretty pictures and told they're awesome for pressing a button in X amount of time.

• Locked thread