Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Calax posted:

Nero was alive from 37 AD to 68 AD, Yeah, he was 30 when he died (suicide historically). So, yeah, stay puft marshmellow emperor is a figment of pop culture.

Wait... is that the Colosseum? WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress!? That building was only constructed AFTER Nero's death and on the grounds of what used to be his palace. People viewed it as Vespasian (The founder of the next dynasty, the Flavians) declaring that "Yeah, I won't be so pompous and terrible as Nero, and I'm giving back to the people what he took". If you really want me to, I can dig out the relevant passages from Tacitus and Seutonius.

Yes, I'm a history major who did his Senior thesis on Roman sexuality.

Also those statues should all be garishly colored.

So, did romans really have breast inspection statues like those in the vault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, you know how much actual thought goes into tech demos: not much, I'd wager. You just take post Marian legionnaires in lorica segmentata (I didn't know they had other armor or basically anything else besides it looking cool), drop some barbarians for them to fight, and you're good to go. Sprinkle words like centurion about, too. Because, most of the public only know about Roman stereotypes, and that's a testudo engaging barbarians, from 700ish BC to almost 500ish AD.

You could have the foederati and the Gaul inspired helms and round shields and chain mail, but then your target audience would go "that's not Rome!".

• Locked thread