Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Quick one since I sort of touched on it earlier, but Chinese contractors vs. American ones.

Now, I'm not all :patriot: and poo poo and saying that US contractors are the best or anything, but they're super high up there compared to the rest of the world in that you can give them very tight tolerances on things and most of the time they will be well within those tolerances.

A good example of this would be a stud wall with a stone veneer finish.

Now in the US it's expected that if the plans called out for a wall that from the interior to exterior would be 5/8" Gyp, 4" stud, 2 layers of 1/2" plywood, and 1 1/2" of veneer the overall width of that wall would be 7 1/8" +/- about a 1/2" on a wall that's say 20' long, and the wall might kick out an additional 1/2" at the top or bottom per 10' of height. So worse case you're talking about 1" out of alignment which might sound horrible if you're OCD but in the world of construction that's actually super accurate and so if you know you'll need a very exact interior room size you'll usually compensate by adding another 1-2" since you'll know that the vast majority of contractors can hit that minimum room dimensions.

China on the other hand... holy loving poo poo.

If you were designing that same wall in China you would not only have to plan on an additional 2-3" per 20' of length misalignment and 10' of height misalignment, but would also need to account for another 4" of stone veneer, making a wall that would be 7 1/8" in the US become roughly 12" in China. So remember that the next time your idiot family member starts talking about China overtaking the US as a world power because they can barely build poo poo 1/2 as well as we can. The Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea (the pyramid that's literally falling apart) is probably more structurally sound than like 1/2 of the buildings that have been put up in China over the last 10-15 years. It's so bad that they have to import entire construction crews from Europe to do anything close to precision construction like structural framing for glass canopies and walls.

keyboard vomit posted:

If you set electrical equipment to a "Demolished" phase it just deletes it.

The MEP side of revit is jankey as hell but its required where I work so its what I'm stuck with. At leas t device placement is easy.

Since I haven't worked there in years I'll just name drop Sasco since they're a fairly well known electrical firm and I literally set up their system so that in their office unless they're 100% required to work in Revit they will absolutely do everything in AutoCAD MEP including BIM coordination and it works flawlessly from devices to conduits to equipment.

No joke, in Acad MEP you can set it up so that you can layout everything in plan view yet get the exact size and location in 3D of the device you just placed, even if on plan view the electrical receptacle looks like the standard symbol. From there you can layout full circuit design and panel designation with connections and wire tags to the right j-boxes and panels. Like for real, look into devices & wires on AutoCAD MEP (which should be included in the design suite your firm purchased from autodesk) because it's all there and it's worlds better than what you get with Revit while giving you full BIM functionality.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Somehow I can't deal with you guys still using feet and inches, it sounds just so ridiculous!

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:

Chinatown posted:

Horton Plaza in San Diego owns. The bottom of the rabbit hole is a cinnabon or something.

Good luck finding anything in this MC Escher mall.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bobatron posted:

Good luck finding anything in this MC Escher mall.

"Oh, you're looking for the Gap? Yeah, it's just up the staircase, down the underside of the staircase, around the corner, around the corner, around the corner, around the corner, and left at the right staircase. Yep, glad I could help!"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

wayfinder posted:

Somehow I can't deal with you guys still using feet and inches, it sounds just so ridiculous!

That might be so, but I can 100% guarantee you that every Intel chip plant is designed and fully laid out in feet and inches, including all the piping/conduits/ducts going to all the tools.

Take that metric system!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

A Winner is Jew posted:

That might be so, but I can 100% guarantee you that every Intel chip plant is designed and fully laid out in feet and inches, including all the piping/conduits/ducts going to all the tools.

Take that metric system!

How much is that in Hogheads

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

Take that metric system!

This is the cause for the bad yield on the 5.5 x 10-7 inch node.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

smackfu posted:

This at least is somewhat practical. You want to build a church that can hold 25,000 pilgrims a few times a year, and it has to be in this particular town, but you are pretty happy with the two basilicas you already have.

That looks like the inside of a Battlestar Hangar.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

No you gotta express it in fractions (they're so much more intuitive!)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

NihilismNow posted:

No clue, and the only way to really describe their fabs without breaking NDA stuff is that they're giant chemical plants inside of a clean room. The vast majority of the mechanical stuff is typically done per tool or on the automated overhead hoist-way.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

RE: Concrete, a colleague who used to be a civil engineer was saying that part of the reason that loads of tower blocks built in the 60s and 70s in the UK are being demolished is that (in addition to being terrible fire hazards) the concrete slabs were pre fabs that were layed next to each other with the steel rebar sticking out then joined on site by pouring concrete into the gap between slabs. Great in theory as you get one continuous slab without having to form in place but apparently the gaps were used as dumps for whatever rubbish the builders had lying around they couldn't be bothered to take down x levels so the joints aren't contiguous and are filled with coke cans and shite .

Next time I see my friend thats a structural engineer now I'm going to tell him this and it'll probably give him nightmares.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

c.f. those horrible schools a few pages ago

"Hey Bob, those drat liberals say our panopticon prison is a gross violation of human rights, but we spent so much time on the design. What should we do with it?"

"I know, turn it into a school!"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

RE: Concrete, a colleague who used to be a civil engineer was saying that part of the reason that loads of tower blocks built in the 60s and 70s in the UK are being demolished is that (in addition to being terrible fire hazards) the concrete slabs were pre fabs that were layed next to each other with the steel rebar sticking out then joined on site by pouring concrete into the gap between slabs. Great in theory as you get one continuous slab without having to form in place but apparently the gaps were used as dumps for whatever rubbish the builders had lying around they couldn't be bothered to take down x levels so the joints aren't contiguous and are filled with coke cans and shite .

Next time I see my friend thats a structural engineer now I'm going to tell him this and it'll probably give him nightmares.

As long as the stuff they dumped in there won't deteriorate (like metal trash) it should be fine. Anything that isn't metal though would cause voids to form in the concrete over the years and that's super bad structurally speaking, and why it's 100% bullshit to think that people are buried in concrete foundations like the story of people falling into freshly poured concrete in the Hoover Dam and they were left there.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
If you want fire hazard there was an old building that went up recently that turned out to have had used seaweed as insulation.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

A Winner is Jew posted:

The Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea (the pyramid that's literally falling apart) is probably more structurally sound than like 1/2 of the buildings that have been put up in China over the last 10-15 years.

Oh, rinky-dink construction is very much present in NK too:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2631670/Scores-dead-North-Korea-flat-collapse.html

Yeah, a brand new 23-storey tower block collapsed without any provocation whatsoever, and it was in Pyongyang where you'd expect the construction methods to be above-average when compared to buildings being put up in other towns. Heavens forbid that there's an earthquake in North Korea, the whole country would literally fall apart.

I'm living in a 18-storey commietower completed in 1971. It's pretty sound structurally, the building has suffered through several earthquakes without any damage (and "block A" suffered a massive gas explosion caused by a DIY gas installation, the tenant was killed but the building was not damaged), but I'm going to be gentle to it and say that the workmanship was uhh "kinda shoddy". When casting the 15-th storey floor in my tower, the workers made a seriously poo poo job putting up the cast and when the concrete was poured, the whole thing sagged and soldified before anyone could notice the mistake... and the saggy ceilings were left in place afterwards. This was problematic because none of the doors and windows would fit, so the carpenters had to cut down the frames and make boggy fillings around the corners. When I had the AC installed in the apartment, we deliberately had to put the indoors unit at a few degrees angle because the whole thing stuck out like dogs balls.

The funny thing is that my towers were of "above average" construction quality, estates put up for the working poor sport some seriously scary construction faults.

edit:

WebDog posted:

If you want fire hazard there was an old building that went up recently that turned out to have had used seaweed as insulation.

Yeah I used to live in a 1937-vintage building that used pressed seaweed as insulation. It was doped with tar and plaster and cut into square panels before being nailed to the brick walls. This was not good - but it was better than incredibly combustible styrofoam panels that were all the rage in the 70s and 80s. My tower block has double outside walls, prefabricated concrete on the outside, and aereated concrete panels on the inside. Many 60s apartment blocks actually have no insulation whatsoever - thus the archetypal "carpet on the walls" apartment in Eastern Europe - this was a DIY fix against heat loss and condensation on the walls.

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 9, 2016

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Having insulation in 1937 is special in itself. As far as i know no houses had insulation before 1973 (oil crisis) here.
In 1937 your outer wall would have been a solid brick wall 1 brick (21cm) wide. If you were really fancy it might have been 2 10cm brick walls with a ~5cm air gap.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

"Hey Bob, those drat liberals say our panopticon prison is a gross violation of human rights, but we spent so much time on the design. What should we do with it?"

"I know, turn it into a school!"

they rebuilt our school during my freshman year and everyone said it looked like a prison:

it's a hexagon, only that central building is the high school to the left is the middle school/junior high (same thing here) building and the right is the gym/cafeteria/etc building

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Here's one that was mentioned earlier but not posted, the ziggurats at the University of East Anglia.

I've never been there myself, but I've heard plenty of stories mostly concerning the stairwells which are narrow, steep, entirely concrete, and a straight shot from the top floor to ground level meaning that if you tripped or slipped you were hosed. Which is of course a great idea for student accommodation :doh:

One I have had to put up with is the Architecture Building at the University of Lincoln:

Outside doesn't look too bad, but inside it makes pretty much every mistake you come to expect from a university architecture building. Maze of a floorplan, unnecessary empty space (including a walkway to nowhere), staircases that don't go all the way up or down, room numbering that doesn't follow any pattern, the big window at the front means it's boiling in summer and freezing in winter, and for some reason the floors go "G, M, 1, 2" instead of the usual "G, 1, 2, 3" you expect everywhere else in this country :psyduck:

At least it has the best lecture theater on campus so there's that

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Icedude posted:

Here's one that was mentioned earlier but not posted, the ziggurats at the University of East Anglia.

I've never been there myself, but I've heard plenty of stories mostly concerning the stairwells which are narrow, steep, entirely concrete, and a straight shot from the top floor to ground level meaning that if you tripped or slipped you were hosed.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Quick one since I sort of touched on it earlier, but Chinese contractors vs. American ones.

Now, I'm not all :patriot: and poo poo and saying that US contractors are the best or anything, but they're super high up there compared to the rest of the world in that you can give them very tight tolerances on things and most of the time they will be well within those tolerances.

A good example of this would be a stud wall with a stone veneer finish.

Now in the US it's expected that if the plans called out for a wall that from the interior to exterior would be 5/8" Gyp, 4" stud, 2 layers of 1/2" plywood, and 1 1/2" of veneer the overall width of that wall would be 7 1/8" +/- about a 1/2" on a wall that's say 20' long, and the wall might kick out an additional 1/2" at the top or bottom per 10' of height. So worse case you're talking about 1" out of alignment which might sound horrible if you're OCD but in the world of construction that's actually super accurate and so if you know you'll need a very exact interior room size you'll usually compensate by adding another 1-2" since you'll know that the vast majority of contractors can hit that minimum room dimensions.

China on the other hand... holy loving poo poo.

If you were designing that same wall in China you would not only have to plan on an additional 2-3" per 20' of length misalignment and 10' of height misalignment, but would also need to account for another 4" of stone veneer, making a wall that would be 7 1/8" in the US become roughly 12" in China. So remember that the next time your idiot family member starts talking about China overtaking the US as a world power because they can barely build poo poo 1/2 as well as we can. The Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea (the pyramid that's literally falling apart) is probably more structurally sound than like 1/2 of the buildings that have been put up in China over the last 10-15 years. It's so bad that they have to import entire construction crews from Europe to do anything close to precision construction like structural framing for glass canopies and walls.
having stayed in a Chinese village being constructed I can confirm this is 100% true, and also emphasise the lovely tools and building materials used by Chinese construction contractors. Measuring things is done with a water level, a piece of string, and moderately bad eye sight and bricks are so lovely they'll crumble to dust if dropped and so cheap they come in a dump truck, get dropped off, and only the top half of the pile that didn't get crushed to dust gets used for building. In addition, terribly unsafe railings made from aluminum tubing that will bend and snap if you lean against it.

Too bad superior American:911: construction effort mostly goes into McMansions that won't survive the next hurricane instead of stone buildings that will last 200 years (or until the next earthquake in which case lol stone)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Groovelord Neato posted:

they rebuilt our school during my freshman year and everyone said it looked like a prison:

it's a hexagon, only that central building is the high school to the left is the middle school/junior high (same thing here) building and the right is the gym/cafeteria/etc building

See, I really like how my high school was designed, and i have no idea why more places don't use this plan.

http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/03/75/02/26_big.jpg
http://mepham.org/building-2012-addition-tn.jpg

It was constructed as a FWA project in 1936. It started out as a big U shape, but then completed as a square later on in the 50s with the construction of the gym, bigger cafeterias, and more classrooms. Classes on the interior of the square have a view of the atrium garden, which also has pretty decent air circulation. 3 stories tall, has a smaller footprint then if it was all laid out in a line, and for something that's 85 years old, it still looks really good. Interior is pretty bleh, institutional interior design and all, but it works.

Oh, and the main entryway nobody uses except on special occasions is slick as hell. It led into the auditorium and front offices, it had big greek columns and neo-classical as hell without being cheesy. I hated school, but I always did appreciate how darn nice it was built.

Oh, and one of the other schools in our district is sinking into the landfill it was built on, so lol.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 9, 2016

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Looks like the high school I went to in the late 90s.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The fact that they were built in the 60's and 70's and are being demolished now means they might actually be the some of the more successful examples of their type, given the fatal gently caress-ups British contractors managed to pull off back then.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I mean, American contractors might on average be pretty loving great, but proving you're better than China is not really evidence of much. How do American contractors compare to their Northern European counterparts?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Woo, straight up panopticon for learning.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

blowfish posted:

having stayed in a Chinese village being constructed I can confirm this is 100% true, and also emphasise the lovely tools and building materials used by Chinese construction contractors. Measuring things is done with a water level, a piece of string, and moderately bad eye sight and bricks are so lovely they'll crumble to dust if dropped and so cheap they come in a dump truck, get dropped off, and only the top half of the pile that didn't get crushed to dust gets used for building. In addition, terribly unsafe railings made from aluminum tubing that will bend and snap if you lean against it.

Too bad superior American:911: construction effort mostly goes into McMansions that won't survive the next hurricane instead of stone buildings that will last 200 years (or until the next earthquake in which case lol stone)

Chinese building standards are questionable as gently caress

There was some Chinese aluminium/aluminum cladding that was imported into Australia that turned out to be highly flammable leading to this:

And when people conducted testing on it, welp

quote:

Cheaply imported aluminium cladding from Melbourne’s fire-damaged Lacrosse tower was so flammable CSIRO scientists had to abandon combustibility tests after only 93 seconds to avoid damaging their equipment.

It turns out this particular kind of cladding has been imported into a bunch of Western countries due to how cheap it is and it's racked up quite a death toll.

quote:

An MFB incident report into the November Lacrosse fire also reveals there have been seven high-rise apartment fires around the world directly attributed to the unsafe cladding with plastic cores, with more than seven deaths. Four high-rise towers in Dubai including The Torch — all with aluminium cladding with the plastic core — have suffered extensive damage from fires spreading up the facade of the buildings.

In France, seven people died in an 18-storey apartment complex in Roubaix, clad in similar aluminium facade as that used at the Lacrosse Tower.

In South Korea, a rapidly spreading fire in a 42-storey fire high-rise apartment complex was directly attributed again to the same sort of cladding used at Lacrosse as was a fire in a 41-storey building in Atlanta City in the US.

Anyway, it turns out the plastic core is what makes it highly flammable

quote:

The Alucobest cladding used at Lacrosse and widely used across Australia’s booming apartment building sector contains a polyethylene, or plastic, core and does not meet Australian building code or fire safety standards.

The safer Alucobond product with a fibre core does comply with Australia’s building code and does meet fire safety, but is considerably more expensive.

It is not known how many apartment towers across Australia have used the dangerous alternative as cladding, with one industry expert describing it as the building sector’s “dirty little secret”.

lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

some Dubai douchebag named their building The Torch, used lovely materials, and welp :(

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Icedude posted:

One I have had to put up with is the Architecture Building at the University of Lincoln:

Outside doesn't look too bad, but inside it makes pretty much every mistake you come to expect from a university architecture building. Maze of a floorplan, unnecessary empty space (including a walkway to nowhere), staircases that don't go all the way up or down, room numbering that doesn't follow any pattern, the big window at the front means it's boiling in summer and freezing in winter, and for some reason the floors go "G, M, 1, 2" instead of the usual "G, 1, 2, 3" you expect everywhere else in this country :psyduck:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzanine

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Chinese building standards are questionable as gently caress

There was some Chinese aluminium/aluminum cladding that was imported into Australia that turned out to be highly flammable leading to this:

And when people conducted testing on it, welp

It turns out this particular kind of cladding has been imported into a bunch of Western countries due to how cheap it is and it's racked up quite a death toll.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb8BsUyJRig

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

i mean who could have possibly guessed flammable plastic can be set on fire???

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I guess that's what it stands for but there isn't a mezzanine in the building at all, just a normal floor, which still makes it a weird choice

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Probably more of an engineering fuckup, but the only bridge across the Nipigon River, and the first cable stayed bridge in Ontario (traffic just started crossing on Nov. 29, the old span is being demolished right now) is experiencing some major issues.

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2016/01/10/nipigon-bridge-heaves-cold-weather-impact/

So Canada is essentially cut in half.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Been closed for about two hours now, but from the looks of it this is a "start over again" sort of problem, at least when it comes to installing the cables.

This website has a really good, higher res side profile. Looks like there is trouble in both spans.

http://topoflakesuperior.ca/nipigon-news/nipigon-river-bridge-is-closed-in-both-directions/

This is definitely not abnormal cold in that region, either.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Ill Peripheral posted:

Probably more of an engineering fuckup, but the only bridge across the Nipigon River, and the first cable stayed bridge in Ontario (traffic just started crossing on Nov. 29, the old span is being demolished right now) is experiencing some major issues.

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2016/01/10/nipigon-bridge-heaves-cold-weather-impact/

So Canada is essentially cut in half.

I always forget Canada has only one road

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

dev286 posted:

I always forget Canada has only one road

Why did you think it was called Highway 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

He is tumbling into the goldmine!

• Locked thread