Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dave Concepcion posted:

we must never meet, the gamma ray burst would kill everyone

we are opposite you see

That thing is held together by steel cables and volunteers who have to shovel snow off every time it snows. If everyone who works there took the same week off for vacation they'd come back to find a pile of rubble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

anyone else besides me who unironically loves brutalism?

Oh no, a ton of goons have terrible taste too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

"The Rooms" is a museum and cultural centre looming over St John's, Newfoundland. It's supposed to evoke the old fishing shacks that used to line the coast, but it ends up absurdly dwarfing everything around it, even a cathedral:

It looks like that town has a giant living in it and everyone politely pretends like he's not 100 feet tall

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ArmZ posted:

brutalism is the fedora of architecture

I assume that everyone who likes brutalism has, at the very least, seriously considered switching to an all-soylent diet

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Noggin Monkey posted:

Houston. Their building boom is going crazy right now.

There's this

It's a house.

There was originally grass growing on those slanted roof panels but they're too steep so it all fell off the first time it rained.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Honestly, bad architecture in houston is just millions of lovely, boring townhouses built as quickly as possible where poor black people used to live.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is the church part just gonna be an entry hall for the building?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SaltLick posted:

The Alamo is the biggest tourist trap in the state and is hilariously awful. Better off going to Ripleys across the street

It was nicer before they moved it to the center of town.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Brinny-chan posted:

This is the new library in Halifax, Nova Scotia:

I can't decide how I feel about it. I like it initially, and in a city with very little modern architecture it certainly is eye-catching. But the more I look at the top piece, the more it looks like a giant glass shipping container was just slapped on there. :confused:

E: Retarded phone poster, image fixed.

I imagine they have some sort of super effective UV blocking glass or something nowadays, but still. That can't be good for the books.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Anatharon posted:

I took a picture of that when I was passing by it and have asked everyone who I've shown it to what they think it's supposed to be. Nobody knows. :iiam:

Isn't it steam coming off a cup of coffee? but the steam is gold for some reason

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Authentic You posted:

the much-hyped green roof quickly turned into a giant mound of five-foot weeds due to being inconvenient to access. The thing is six years old.

That part sounds pretty good, IMO. A green roof that requires no maintenance and is full of local plants

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

akasnowmaaan posted:

Those colors are the base coats and primers. That would be like saying all canvas paintings would look like Gesso.

We have no clue what they really looked like, but I'd bet '100% realistic'.

Yeah, he probably at least went over the whole thing with Nuln Oil

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Wedemeyer posted:

London needs a new bridge for the river Thames. Let's see the contestants and maybe some Brits can weigh in as well. http://www.dezeen.com/2015/02/25/74-designs-unveiled-bridge-london-river-thames/

M I N I M A L I S T

All the ones before this were purposefully terrible so whoever's decidng which design to use goes with this immediately, right?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

netally posted:

The last bridge we built over the Thames belongs in this thread. It had to be closed for two years because it was wobbling. Also, it just looks boring and dated now despite only being 15 years old: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Bridge_(London)

Why cant they just build a loving bridge

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Butt Wizard posted:

Can I nominate Mecca for this thread? It's kind of funny in a dark way that the holiest place in Islam is being near-perpetually hosed with and re-developed into oblivion.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/redevelopment-of-mecca-bulldozers-bear-down-on-site-of-mohameds-birth-9142458.html

It's got that clocktower that's huge but just makes the whole place look tiny

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

blowfish posted:

did it finally loose too many lawsuits?

Why was a bridge suing people?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ruebennase posted:

The British embassy:

ok seriously what the gently caress is going on? Why have the British committed to ugly loving buildings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

To be fair, there's a bunch of cool British embassies too. The British Embassy in DC is ridiculously opulent, for example.

I'm betting that one's older.

• Locked thread