Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

FactsAreUseless posted:

How can you not like powerup mixing, literally the best thing in Kirby 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

actually its that unfortunately the mixed powerups had a limited moveset :(

If they all had Superstar level movesets, people would have died from the ownage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Idea: Superstar/Triple Deluxe movesets with limited move combining. You have a "main" move and each secondary power you combine it with changes it in some small way. So it's always Leaf, but it might also get some sort of extra electrical effect, or shoot arrows on one attack, or w/e. Then you can combine powers tons of ways without needing to build a whole new power/set of animations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i didnt personally like kirby 3 much especially after superstar, but it does have some loving dope music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tAawV1msNs

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 21, 2015

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Idea: Superstar/Triple Deluxe movesets with limited move combining. You have a "main" move and each secondary power you combine it with changes it in some small way. So it's always Leaf, but it might also get some sort of extra electrical effect, or shoot arrows on one attack, or w/e. Then you can combine powers tons of ways without needing to build a whole new power/set of animations.

Fire Sword/Ice Sword were pretty much this in Squeak Squad.

Dec 26, 2012

i dont mind that too much because it encourages you to fool around with different ones instead of sticking with a single versatile one

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

Fire Sword/Ice Sword were pretty much this in Squeak Squad.
Yeah, this would be cool. But I want like "Arrow Leaf" or "Mirror Circus."

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

This was basically my complaint with it. It was very cool to mix powerups, but it meant each combination felt a lot less developed than any of the powers in something like Superstar.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

64 is also good because you fight an eldritch abomination at the very end

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

How can you not like powerup mixing, literally the best thing in Kirby 64.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

01011001 posted:

i dont mind that too much because it encourages you to fool around with different ones instead of sticking with a single versatile one

thats what I thought at first *flashback to renting Kirby64 (rip blockbuster) and doing a complete run with almost exclusively spark+sword*

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I've played through canvas curse eight or nine times, and saw this in the store the other day. the other thing i saw was a guy seriously lecturing some other dude on what true gamers do, so i did not buy it, as he was very close to the display

e: i bought NES Retro Remix Pack.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
If you were boring, the obvious choice is Bomb/Cutter.

Dec 26, 2012

qnqnx posted:

thats what I thought at first *flashback to renting Kirby64 (rip blockbuster) and doing a complete run with almost exclusively spark+sword*

ideally thats the goal. in practice there are usually a few square pegs that can pretty easily be forced into round holes so people do it anyway

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Doctor Goat posted:

If you were boring, the obvious choice is Bomb/Cutter.

kirby 64 has so many great and varied combinations that if "ruthless efficiency" is what makes you feel good, well, here's bomb+cutter. nobody gets left out
i like bomb+burning because i just want to maximize explosions per second

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context

medibot posted:

kirby 64 has so many great and varied combinations that if "ruthless efficiency" is what makes you feel good, well, here's bomb+cutter. nobody gets left out
i like bomb+burning because i just want to maximize explosions per second

Now here's a man who understands the value of Bomb Cutter.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Butt Ghost posted:

64 is also good because you fight an eldritch abomination at the very end

i fricking love it when games that are happy and cute get really bizarre and hosed up

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
if you think about it kirby is really some kind of eldritch aombsdgdfsh

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Kirby because he is designed with being cute in mind, but is still so simplistic. I read somewhere that he's supposed to be like 8 inches tall which is super adorable :3:

This game does look good graphics wise but the gameplay unfortunately looks kinda boring, isn't there a clay Yoshi game out/coming out? Or did I just imagine that?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Knitted, not clay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh okay, that is also acceptably cute, hopefully that one will be good unlike the previous Yoshi game which was eh-quality at best

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Silver Striker posted:

I don't read anything he posts I just look at his avatar and scroll past it immediately. He went into another one of my threads and started some intensely retarded fight so he's basically the same as Taint Reaper in my book.

Dec 26, 2012

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the only kirby games I have played to completion are superstar, and triple deluxe.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

How did u get sigs out of fyad

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

NickRoweFillea posted:

How did u get sigs out of fyad

you dont

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

i have sigs off

• Locked thread