Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, that sounds about right for a 400ci engine. I doubt you're going to break double digits unless you're going 60 on a flat, straight stretch of highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
Fatal bought this crazy name for this fag but he owed me $$$$$$$$$$$$$

some texas redneck posted:

And you can always do an LSx/4L80-E swap if you want modern power, mileage, and reliability (I don't think I'd do a 4L60-E swap on something that heavy). Yeah I know, GM in a Ford, but modern GM ECUs are incredibly versatile. Your mileage would go up significantly, and you'd be roughly doubling your horsepower (and getting a good bump in torque).

This sounds awesome. Certainly not something I would need to do right away, but it's nice to know I can invest some money into it, make it a bit faster, and even improve the mileage. What would you estimate the impact would be on mileage?

BTW I did find this, which I thought was interesting:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0702-ford-400m-engine-build/

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

That thing needs some Daytons and switches, stat.

I love the look of 100 spoke rims, but to be honest the stock rims are pretty rad looking already!

Should I get hydraulics or air bags? :D

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fast air bags have made hydraulics obsolete. as if they weren't already.

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
Finally got the pics taken! Check it out :D

http://imgur.com/a/QQ7sK

I can do a better pic of the clock too if folks want. Also got a nice pic of the 8 track player, haha.

I took a closeup of some cracks in the vinyl top. Are those fixable? I'm guessing any cracks will require and entire new top, but I could be wrong.

Also I noticed an issue today with my headlight flaps. They will stay open for maybe 30 seconds, then close, although this only happens sometimes. Other times they will stay open as long as needed.

Is it a vacuum leak perhaps?

Cheers!!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What the hell kind of cartier is that. It's not even roman numerals :colbert:

Here's my cartier. Even has the proper IIII for 4.

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004

Powershift posted:

Haha. Well mine is digital! :D

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Looking at your photos, what was it with ford and the giant coffee can vacuum tanks?

I've seen them on a lot of older F-150s, and my relatives have an 89 Town car, and a 91 Grand Marquis and they all have the coffee can.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Remains Unseen posted:

I took a closeup of some cracks in the vinyl top. Are those fixable? I'm guessing any cracks will require and entire new top, but I could be wrong.

With the vinyl being that old it would probably crumble and flake if you messed with it. It looks like a small bubble is forming too, I wouldn't be surprised if you had some rust around the rear window trim. I know it's automotive insanity and all but you probably want a professional to strip and replace the top and address any minor rust that could be there. The biggest issue I see from a DIY perspective is taking the trim off without loving it up. I'd probably leave it alone for now.

That car is a magnificent tank, drive it and enjoy it for now. Fix any mechanical issues as they pop up and let the cosmetics slide, it's part of the charm.

Vanagoon posted:

Looking at your photos, what was it with ford and the giant coffee can vacuum tanks?

I've seen them on a lot of older F-150s, and my relatives have an 89 Town car, and a 91 Grand Marquis and they all have the coffee can.

It's simple and it works? When you have a huge engine bay like that you might as well use the space. Plus when it dies it's easy to replace.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Was the fuel tank full when you started the 0-110 pull?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

Was the fuel tank full when you started the 0-110 pull?

Yeah, took nearly 4 miles. half of the gas flew out the filler neck on launch.

It's pretty much a SR-71 blackbird like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Powershift posted:

Man, I read the top-left indicator in the center stack as "Afterburner" and was sorely disappointed upon a second reading.

• Locked thread