Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frank Jameso
Nov 24, 2014
I grew up in the Attitude Era, so I got to see Stone Cold drive out beer trucks and douse Vince McMahon, scantily clad hotties beat up on each other in mud pits, and of course the birth of tables ladders and chairs matches with guys lighting tables on fire and putting other guys through it. I stopped watching around after The Rock left.

I've looked up the ratings for Raw since 1999, and it doesn't look like they're doing very well. Is it as bad as the ratings suggest? If so, can they turn it around? How do they deal with having exhausted all the cool storylines and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
by watching NJPW

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
but to answer your question, wrestling will never be as hot as it was in the attitude era, but there's plenty of great wrestling around if you know where to look

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
NXT rules, if you need something still under the WWE umbrella. It's better than their main shows and features a lot of indie talent.

Basically since fans got wise to how the industry works, it's been harder to create big silly storylines that people won't poo poo on. The smarter promotions focus on titles and competition for their storylines, but WWE is still trying to beat the same dead horse.

Other than that, New Japan is awesome wrestling and the angles aren't really deeper than "I don't like you" and "I want your belt" so the language barrier isn't a big deal and a lot of gaijin wrestlers cut English promos. A few indies are still really good. TNA is still really bad.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Professional Wrestling is pop culture in the same way that daytime TV is. Most people never go out of their way to watch it but they know who John Cena is and might watch it for a couple minutes if it's on TV while flipping channels. Also celebrities go to shows sometimes just because they have nothing better to do.

Wrestling is only cool if you're not invested heavily into it.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Wrestling was never cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Comparing the ratings to the Attitude Era doesn't really work as a direct 1:1 comparison since the amount of options available to viewers (including WHEN they watch the shows they watch) has drastically increased. That said, wrestling definitely cooled off after the Attitude Era and has never really recovered, it's certainly not the major thing it was during the late 90s. Wrestling since then has had cool moments and terrible moments, but hasn't captured the pop culture imagination in anything near the way it did when the nWo was running all over WCW and Steve Austin was waggling his face over Vince McMahon's prone body shouting drunken insults into his face.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I spit in the face of wrestling that wants to be cool.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

The harsh reality

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
No.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
If you think a trio of old dudes with shirts tucked into their black jeans isn't badass as gently caress, you are a know nothing know-it-all who knows nothing.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Frank Jameso posted:

I grew up in the Attitude Era, so I got to see Stone Cold drive out beer trucks and douse Vince McMahon, scantily clad hotties beat up on each other in mud pits, and of course the birth of tables ladders and chairs matches with guys lighting tables on fire and putting other guys through it. I stopped watching around after The Rock left.

I've looked up the ratings for Raw since 1999, and it doesn't look like they're doing very well. Is it as bad as the ratings suggest? If so, can they turn it around? How do they deal with having exhausted all the cool storylines and poo poo?

Two things

1) the idea that all the good storylines have been exhausted is laughable

2)

Lloyd Boner posted:

the only cool way to even feel cool by watching wrestling is the stuff most fans dont watch allowing hardcore fans to look down on casuals (see: new japan, and nxt). The more niche you go the better

oatgan fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 19, 2015

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Wrestling is cool as f**k.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If you want to know the answer, just look up the responses whenever a new t-shirt design is posted.

everyone posted:

I'm not wearing that, it looks like a wrestling t-shirt

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If you think wrestling was "cool" in the attitude era, try to remember what every attractive girl's face looked like when all the guys were discussing RAW on Tuesday morning in homeroom.

It was never "cool."

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

1) the idea that all the good storylines have been exhausted is laughable

Yeah. They did break so many taboos and destroyed kayfabe so badly that they've never quite worked out how to move on. Even little things like tag team matches breaking down into mayhem and interference in matches happen so constantly now that they have zero impact, you just expect them.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Ribsauce posted:

If you think wrestling was "cool" in the attitude era, try to remember what every attractive girl's face looked like when all the guys were discussing RAW on Tuesday morning in homeroom.

It was never "cool."

I think you'll find it was very cool, perhaps overly so, in fact

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
OOOOOOHHHHHHH

HELLLLL

YEAH!!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
if you think wrestling isn't cool, then i've got two words for you

kevin

nash

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Only PWG.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world
I dunno. You tell me. Heh.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

if you think wrestling isn't cool, then i've got two words for you

kevin

nash

too swete

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
It's not cool anymore, but it can be. Just needs the right guidance. Wrestling is like comics: it's dwindling, the diehards are the most loyal, and the pay ain't nearly as good as it was in the 90s, but dammit it's something special.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

fart blood posted:

It's not cool anymore, but it can be. Just needs the right guidance. Wrestling is like comics: it's dwindling, the diehards are the most loyal, and the pay ain't nearly as good as it was in the 90s, but dammit it's something special.

Agreed, WWE needs to make a movie about The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and John Cena uniting to stop Vince McMahon from taking over the world using Andre the Giant robots.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

so fuckin cool

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

oldpainless posted:

so fuckin cool

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

oldpainless posted:

so fuckin cool

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Kevin Nash brought FUBU to white middle aged dads everywhere like a modern day prometheus

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Things that make wrestling cool:

- Watching it with cool friends
- Nic Gage
- Kane
- head drops
- concussions
- The Young Bucks

If you don't love idiots in trash bag pants cutting their hands off with exploding light tunes for corn dogs and a handshake then what are you doing with your life?

Sticky Nate fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 19, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Wrestling stopped being cool the day 40 year old men stopped wearing Tupac bandanas

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Cool? Uh WWE isn't cool (PG) so you gotta trawl the indies to get the cool rear end loving poo poo, like this promo from Combat Zone Wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYZ6DXspCOw

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

#FreeNickGage

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Cool? Uh WWE isn't cool (PG) so you gotta trawl the indies to get the cool rear end loving poo poo

ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr_qLiwMbJA

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
Well, I'm cool, and I like wrestling, so ergo vis-a-vis by the third law of thermodynamics, yes wrestling is cool.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oldpainless posted:

so fuckin cool

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Wrestling is cool in that none of the promotions are all that hot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Only backyard wrestling is cool. But only in the same way witnessing a car wreck is cool.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Only backyard wrestling is cool. But only in the same way witnessing a car wreck is cool.

demolition derbys are cool as gently caress actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

Wrestling is cool in that none of the promotions are all that hot.

I laughed at this one.

• Locked thread