Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Everyone always talks about their dream cars or what their next car will be, but let's be realistic..poo poo doesn't always go the way you planned. Up to this point, what car that you've owned is the best? ..and why?

You can take "best" any way you like. Most expensive, fastest, most luxurious, best reliability, whatever.

For me, it's our 2008 Focus coupe. It looks geeky and boring, it's slow, and the stereo really isn't very good. However, I bought it in 2010 for $7000. A 2-year-old car for $7k. I couldn't believe it. It had 89k miles on it though, so I figured maybe there's expensive maintenance coming up. None whatsoever. I've owned it for 4.5 years and 35ish thousand miles, and the only maintenance we've done is a battery and oil changes. Best MPG on a single tank..39. Call me boring, but drat this is a good transportation appliance.

It's comfortable, unbelievably cheap to maintain and operate, and at 2600lbs it's reasonably entertaining to drive on its pizza-cutter tires and 140hp wheezer.

Goons..what is your "best" car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

:smuggo:

For $/fun ratio, my AP1 supercharged S2000 I picked up for $13k. God that thing was a steal and a ton of fun.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
2003 540i m package.
I LOVE IT SO MUCH OMG

Only had it for about a month so far, but its been GREAT. Seriously, I love everything about it. Its a bit bigger than Im used to, but man, im getting used to it :D

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I have a beater e30. Its kind of a piece of poo poo (although much less a piece of poo poo than it was when I first got it), but goddamn is it fun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

For reliability, that easily goes to my current car, a 2006 Saturn Ion coupe (5 speed). Purchased with 66k in January of 2013, has almost 110k now. All I've done is basic maintenance, though the thermostat has been sticking open occasionally for a couple of months. I plan to fix that next week (I've been saying that for over a month). The serpentine belt did break around 105k, but I knew it was dry rotted, and kept putting off replacement.

For the car that was the most fun to drive, that was my 1991 Acura Integra LS (automatic). Bought it cheap from a friend after he rearended a Suburban, all it needed was a new headlight, a little beating on the upper radiator support, and a fender. The interior looked brand new, the body looked brand new (except for the RF corner). It had every issue that every DA Integra (90-93) has, most of them I was able to fix (except for the drat cowl leak). Unfortunately, the friend I got it from had put an adjustable FPR on it, and had it running really lean. That, coupled with a clogged fuel filter (verified with the pressure gauge he'd left on it, blipping the throttle caused the gauge to nosedive), lead to it burning some valves and basically destroying the rings. You'd think I would have figured out something was very wrong when I managed 40 mpg on a road trip in it... it was rated 26 highway.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
'96 Toyota Corolla, it's technically mine but my sister has been driving it every day since 2012. It starts, it drives, it stops, it gets good mileage, the A/C works, as does the power steering and cruise control. The transmission, wipers, radio, power windows and door locks all work well and as they should. The only thing I've ever had to do was replace the crank shaft pulley, and I went ahead and did the timing belt and water pump while I was in there since it was due. The old timing belt and water pump looked new, I could have gotten away with leaving them alone. Plugs and filters were easy peasy. The hardest part of the job was disconnecting a motor mount to route through the belt, otherwise the job was almost pleasant.

There is a simple luxury in having a car that needs nothing; you're not listening for a tell-tale clunk, hum or squeal from the part you're keeping an eye on, you're not putting up with something being broken while you get around to fixing it, and there's no need to dread things like pulling a floor jack through your snowy driveway, then laying in the slush under your car while slushcicles drip water, oil and grit into your open mouth. No, your mind is free to pursue more pleasurable things, like plans for your very own 2 car x 2 car heated garage or a cool motorcycle you want to get in the spring.

We've had the corolla for 50,000 miles I haven't done a thing except what I'd mentioned above. My daily driver Passat has a whole litany of things I've done and still need to take care of to get it back in respectable shape. Sometimes I feel like getting into cars was the biggest mistake I've ever made; I buy cars that may need some work because I think I know exactly what I'm getting into, and I end up driving that crappy, broken car for a year or more until I get around to replacing that radio antennae, power window motor, reverse light switch HVAC blower. I wish I were happy driving an appliance that simply does its job needs nothing, I should have gotten two of those Corollas.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 19, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Definitely the first car I chose myself - a Japanese Import 1990 Integra XSi sedan. Mine also had all the normal DA issues, cowl leak, tail light leaks, rusted sunroof tray, main fuel relay, worn out shift and rear trailing arm bushings, cracked engine mounts, cracked radiator top tank but I managed to fix everything (including the cowl which was a massive pain in the arse).

Had Jamex spring in when that picture (badly sagging in the rear) but I replaced them with some Neuspeed Sport models which evened it up nicely (and improved the handling immensely).

Why was it the best? Well it certainly wasn't the quickest or the most reliable but it was a lot of fun and very economical

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

2.5RS. I have beat it to gently caress and back and it still keeps running.

How is a complete mystery to me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

dissss posted:

Definitely the first car I chose myself - a Japanese Import 1990 Integra XSi sedan. Mine also had all the normal DA issues, cowl leak, tail light leaks, rusted sunroof tray, main fuel relay, worn out shift and rear trailing arm bushings, cracked engine mounts, cracked radiator top tank but I managed to fix everything (including the cowl which was a massive pain in the arse).

Had Jamex spring in when that picture (badly sagging in the rear) but I replaced them with some Neuspeed Sport models which evened it up nicely (and improved the handling immensely).

Why was it the best? Well it certainly wasn't the quickest or the most reliable but it was a lot of fun and very economical

:swoon: That's the same color as my old Integra, with the same JDM headlights (USDM got some dim as poo poo headlights, but the JDM ones are an easy swap - just need to ditch one corner marker bulb, as the USDM model has 2 on each front lens, and swap the plug for an H4/H4H plug. Mine was a hatch though. The JDM lights lit up the road like the sun, but had a super sharp cutoff; I sat in front of it before and after, and noticed far less glare with the JDM housings. The USDM housings just threw dim light everywhere.

Also H4H bulbs are pretty much impossible to find in the US. You can modify the base of an H4 bulb to fit in the JDM housings, but that's a pain in the rear end. i just kept a spare bulb with me.

I gave up trying to fix the cowl leak and just put a garbage bag over the cowl whenever it was parked in the rain. It also popped the radiator (though almost every car I've owned has eventually done the same), the ICM (integrated control module) had issues with the wipers,, had HVAC issues (until I reflowed the solder on the PCB that the switches connected to), tails leaked like mad until I got new gaskets from Honda (special order, but they were available), and a lot of "lol what engine mounts, it's a thirsty gasoline powered vibrator!" bit.

I meant to add the OEM side markers to the fenders (we didn't get the side markers in the US, instead they had dual bulbs in the front corner lights); in fact, I think I may still have them somewhere. I should see if I can find them, I'm sure I can sell them on G2IC for a decent amount of coin if I can find them.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 19, 2015

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
2005 Saab 9-2x. A WRX with more aluminum and a STi steering rack. I put 100k miles on it and never should have gotten rid of it. It never left me stranded and needed a minimum of parts to keep going despite the fact that I beat the everloving poo poo out of it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Best most reliable car was my 2013 M3, it was perfect - the lightest and fastest of the three I owned, and I should have just kept it in addition to the Viper as a DD.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

For practical purposes, my old 2004 BMW X5 with the sport package. For unadulterated, fun, rear end in a top hat driving?

This:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Two way tie between my 2002 RS which I've had for ten years now.

Very fun car.

Other car is my 03 legacy wagon. Way more comfortable and livable as a DD + hauling everything under the sun, but not as fun to drive.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Thus far I have been very fortunate to own successively better cars, and the CTS-V is definitely my favorite:

I really dig this thing. It's faster than my E55, G8 GXP, etc, rides better, and the wagon is quietly quirky. Recommended!

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
1995 Buick Regal Custom 3.8 - I paid $500 for it with 150k miles on the clock, but I'll be damned if that car didn't start every time I turned the key and never left me stranded. A/C was ice cold, the 3800 could run like hell but still get good mileage, and it was comfy for my 6 foot fat rear end on long trips.

I got rear ended in it - nothing major, but still damaged the bumper a bit. Drove it home, used a floor jack and some wood, and straightened it out almost good as new.

Still miss that car - gave it to a friend of mine who wrecked his Olds Alero after I got a Suburban. It still went another year before he junked it in 2010.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Without this car I wouldn't be the person I am today. Kinda sad, but true.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Without a doubt it's this goddamn International. It would likely have been nearly any project car I would have purchased, but this hit all the boxes. Provided utility that I didn't have before, I've learned a lot working on it, and any mistakes I made were easily forgiven. It's always fun to inspect a part of a truck you've been driving to work occasionally and think "holy poo poo I drove on this?!?".

If I didn't have my next project car already lined up I'd be taking hints from this thread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As an appliance, my best car was an 02 Focus (SOHC) I bought new. I put 140,000 miles on it over a decade, and when I sold it, I was still seeing 32 mpg regularly, on E10. Two fuel pumps and a shifter centering spring are the only problems I had. Honorable mention for my first car, an 89 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan. Thanks to a bad voltage regulator and Duralast parts I got to where I could swap an alternator in under 15 minutes. I think a starter was the only other mechanical problem.

Funnest car is the 66 Corvette convertible. No power steering, brakes, windows, no AC, base 327/300 engine...but goddamn rowing through the gears is about the most fun I get to have as an adult. As long as gas isn't puddling on the intake manifold, it's great.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My best car was a 1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight in white and with light blue interior handed down to me from my grandpa.

I had it during college, so the massive trunk came in handy. With bench seats and a column shifter, it was the comfiest couch I ever drove.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
out of 57? the best was this thing:

1993 320TE. bought it in atl for $900. two coil packs, rebuilt the throttle actuator, and a cam sensor it ran good enough. I drove it to CA right after that. on the drive back to Birmingham it popped the headgasket in Arkansas. It still made it home, got a new HG, and a former customer is still driving it 2 years later.

My favorite?

This fat motherfuck.

Bought the shell for $900 and rebuilt it.

Somewhere on the baker grade. pulled off to let it cool down.

I figured what the poo poo, see what it'll do. apparently 95ish going up baker grade in august with the a/c on was a bit much for the cooling system. :v:

I'll never have another vehicle quite as nice, or as expensive.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
2002 Honda S2000

Great on the street and easy to track with a quick brake fluid flush. I've done 500 miles in a day on a group excursion around Oregon and my back didn't hurt or anything. Also drove it over some snowy passes with the summer tires which was a terrible idea but hey I'm still alive and I didn't crash. Sold it for just under $13k which was a shame because I think it would be worth 18+ today.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My 2002 Wrangler is the first vehicle I've really cared about and put time into. It's just so much fun :shobon: Only real downside is the fuel economy.

I've gone through quite a few parts, some of them necessary and some of them upgrades. Headlight/turn signal switch has gone out twice, an 02 sensor, needed new catalytic convertors, oh yeah, and a motor. I don't blame most of that on the Jeep though, I blame the previous owners.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Here I am cautiously navigating a local parking lot in my friendly LS-powered family sedan:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My 2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition was the best car bar none I have ever owned. I got it with a shade under 40k miles on and I proceeded to drive it for 8 years. It wasn't until after it got totaled in an accident (I got rear ended) that I realized that I didn't have a single picture of that car anywhere. It was my 2nd manual and I loved that car, I wept when I saw it at the scrap yard after the accident. With the money I got from that car I got a 2013 Mazda3 Hatchback, but I just don't have the connection to it that I had to my Civic (granted I've only had the Mazda for about 3 weeks).

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
2000 Solara v6 5 speed. 31mpg, pulls hard in 1st through 4th. Drove that thing all over north america, never had a problem, and this is with over 200k on it.

Sold it to a dude who is dirt tracking it, says it still pulls hard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The best car I've ever owned is the one I have now. I love this damned thing:

Its not fuel efficient, it needs a 6th gear for cruise, and its noisy. But its zippy for a non-turbo 5 cylinder, its comfortable, and easy to work on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I miss this car everyday. :( It put up with so much of my poo poo and asked for nothing in return.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
E30 316i touring with an M42 engine swap.

Sold it for what I paid for it, carried a shitload of stuff, was very reliable (usual 18 year old car stuff wearing out aside), cheap parts and great on twisty roads.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

There is something to be said about a beater car that you don't care much about getting dinged up being the most fun. I'm trying to decide what to get for a daily since I'm not going to be driving to downtown meetings in the Lambo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
2013 BMW 335i xDrive with 6 speed manual & handling package.

Everything about it is great, basically. :unsmith:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
2002 S2000

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

2000 Solara v6 5 speed. 31mpg, pulls hard in 1st through 4th. Drove that thing all over north america, never had a problem, and this is with over 200k on it.

Sold it to a dude who is dirt tracking it, says it still pulls hard.

I had a '99 v6 5 speed and I couldn't get better than 21 MPG no matter if I babied it or drove it hard. I got rid of mine when the clutch started to slip because I was tired of working on it and wanted something newer. I still miss that car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Count Freebasie posted:

For practical purposes, my old 2004 BMW X5 with the sport package. For unadulterated, fun, rear end in a top hat driving?

This:

Black mustang crew!

2004 GT

Before this car I drove 4 various mid 90s oldsmobile, so this was a huge step up even though the interior has been the same since 1994. Not the fastest but its quick enough, and lowering it improved the handling so Im happy enough for now. Gonna drive it til it falls apart which will hopefully be a while since I put it away for the winters.

Comrade Flynn posted:

There is something to be said about a beater car that you don't care much about getting dinged up being the most fun. I'm trying to decide what to get for a daily since I'm not going to be driving to downtown meetings in the Lambo.
Oh I LOVE my beater explorer. When Im parking in front of a snow bank Ill just ram into it for no reason. People park like assholes here on campus so if I can squeeze it into a spot and still open my door Ill do it, future keyings be damned.

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 19, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My 03 540i.

Pretty much perfect. Mad I sold it. :(

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I take "best" to mean fun, and in that regard, it's hard to beat my current DD, a 2011 NC2 Miata.
However, I got laid in my old customized 1997 Ford Econoline van more than any car before or since. The back bench would fold into a full size bed, and all the windows had privacy blinds. It was an RV I could park in my college lot.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
1st place for driving like a maniac without getting hassled by The Law: 1988 Subaru GL also was a wagon so it carried a 1-UZ engine in the back for a while and had a locking center diff and low range so urban offroading was a must.

1st place for all around efficiency: 1995 Geo Prizm Lsi, bought for $400 with a small dent in the front. 4afe engine is indestructable. Will never do a clutch on one again though.

All around most charming: 1968 Austin Healey Sprite

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Jay-Zeus posted:

Here I am cautiously navigating a local parking lot in my friendly LS-powered family sedan:

Not a thing gone wrong, apart from a kangaroo and my own stupidity. Tows, hauls, cruises, goes loving fast, comfortable and just plain good. It's always been a surprise

The other is the 1999 Forester. That thing has been kicked around and still been awesome.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

It's back on the regular 16" steelies again, and it has a hefty dent in the driver's side door from a suicidal deer, but my '01 CVPI is still my baby. I've put about 50k miles on it since I originally bought it and it's only a few hundred away from 200k, and it has been rock solid the entire time i've owned it. Yesterday was actually the 4 year mark :allears:

I've only got a few hundred, tops, in parts I had to replace in the entire time i've had it. I love this tank. That being said, I do miss my old Blazer:

It went anywhere and everywhere and handled ice, snow, mud, and everything else with ease. God that thing was fun.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 20, 2015

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I almost hate to say it but; my 1993 Festiva. Got it in high school and drove it through college. Cheap as gently caress to buy, own, operate, repair. With this car I'm firmly a member of the "beat the gently caress out of it" group. The only things it ever needed over 80,000+ of my miles other than regular maintenance was a battery, brakes, and tires... until (within a 3 month period) someone smashed the windshield, clutch started going out, every electrical connection started rotting out, battery went bad, tire tread separating. It resides in poo poo car heaven now but man did I ever get my money's worth out of that rolling coffin. Every once in a while I find myself tempted to get one and blow a grand or two on it and rally and autocross it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I'm going with my 2008 CVPI. I drive it hard, towed way more than I should, autocrossed it a few times and it's rock solid. It's about to hit 200k and I have put like 50k on it in a year and a half and have spent a grand total of $120 in parts to fix it. $60 for a new e-fan assembly When the high speed stopped working and overheated at the autocross and a few time on the way to work before I figured it out and the AC was on. And today I am getting a miss at idle on number 6 and 8 new COP's cost me a whopping $43 shipped. And it comfortable enought to drive 28hrs straight in. Best car by far I have owned.

The day I got it

Towing.

Best $3500 I have spent on a car.

• Locked thread