Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW >Convince someone to read a comic book with a single image :v:

Do you like Kenpachi Zaraki from Bleach? The "loving BORING" guy? Then you'll love the Saint of Killers from Preacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

brave nazi aviator posted:

yeah, if you're some sort of effete european

Or Osamu Tezuka.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

astro-boy snaps donald duck's neck in retaliation for what he did on saipan

khy
Aug 15, 2005

B-List superhero stories are the best because Marvel and DC protect their A-listers like momma tigers protecting their cubs.

B-Listers, on the other hand, don't get protected. They're there for people to use and abuse and throw away. Which means that you get fantastic stories that are hilarious and awful and wonderful. Yes, it is about Superheroes. But these are more 'Guardians of the Galaxy' type superheroes, less like Spooder Man or Super Cape man.

Nextwave is a story about a bunch of superheroes who are really awful superheroes.

They joined an organization to do good things but then it turned out that the organization was actually a front for terrorists. So they stole a big jet thing and are fighting the terrorists, who use broccoli men to discover and activate UWMDs (Unusual Weapons of Mass Destruction), such as a sexually-frustrated dragon that has no genitals.

The lineup is :
  • Aaron Stack, AKA Machine Man who is an rear end in a top hat and makes comments about fleshy bits.
  • Photon (Who apparently used to be Captain Marvel or something) who used to be the leader of the Avengers, and won't let anyone forget it
  • some British monster hunter girl named Elsa Bloodthorne
  • A former X-Man named 'boom boom' or 'time bomb' or something,
  • and The Captain.
(The Captain used to be named "Captain *****". The *'s were words that were, and I quote, "so horrible that Captain America allegedly beat seven shades of it out of him and left him in a dumpster with a bar of soap in his mouth")

They are horrible people with no sanity or morals and the series rips off EVERYTHING and anything and does it so perfectly and hilariously. There are no feels anywhere to be had, you will love and hate the main characters because they are, each of them, complete assholes.

Here have 10 pages to get you started :

EDIT : I realize that the point of this thread is to stay away from the 'superhero dreck' as it was said in the OP. But the reason I love this series so much is because it spends as much time making fun of superheroes as it does paying homage to them. It's the superheroes comic for people who dislike superheroes.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 19, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nextwave is the loving best and everyone should read it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man run is pretty goddamn great. Plus you eventually get to the best Spider-man in Miles Morales.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ultimate Spider-Man is really loving good and pretty much the only thing worth reading in the Ultimates line. Maybe read Ultimates volume 1 so you can see the genesis of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Go no further.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pierson posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man is really loving good and pretty much the only thing worth reading in the Ultimates line. Maybe read Ultimates volume 1 so you can see the genesis of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Go no further.

I should really look back into that, I bought the first trade ages and ages ago and even though I really liked it, it was around the time I got fed up with mainstream western comics so I never continued.

As an aside, I'm totally pillaging these Ms. Marvel panels from BSS.

Zero_Tactility posted:

The new Ms. Marvel is a shapeshifter

Ms Marvel #2

She's also delightful

Ms Marvel #6

Ms Marvel #8

Say Nothing posted:

Jake Wyatt draws the best Ms. Marvel.

It's fun, it's funny, the art is good.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I can''t STAND reading text like THIS.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I do kinda wonder why that's the go to way to render text in comics.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Comic book font conventions are weird.

I did read a whole bunch of of comic books about 3 years ago before stopping because of various reasons. Mostly Marvel superhero fare following BBS's recommendation of starting with Bendis's New Avengers and continuing from there. Learned to get sick of crossovers(except Annihilation) interrupting story arcs during that period, but I did like Hickman's Fantastic Four, Ultimate Spiderman, Nova, X-factor and Thunderbolts.

Probably should try reading more non-hero comic books since those look neat when I notice them in bookstores.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

a kitten posted:

I do kinda wonder why that's the go to way to render text in comics.

It's traditional, basically.

When comics were still a new medium, lettering was all done by hand. Using italics or something to illustrate emphasis was hard to write well - not to mention that using the printing processes of the time, it looked like rear end. So they settled on using bold text for the same kind of emphasis that italics would serve for in a standard text.

It doesn't help that it's only within the last few years that lower-case lettering has been used at all; for most of the medium's history it's been all-caps.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ultimate Jessica Drew is p much the best.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Thread missing mentions of Brubaker's Criminal and Sleeper.

Or Scalped by Jason Aaron.

Or The Manhathan Projects by Hickman.

Actually, anything written by these guys is pretty good.

EDIT: Oh and Locke & Key!

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

This is my face when people talk about super hero garbage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

madstrike posted:

Thread missing mentions of Brubaker's Criminal and Sleeper.

Or Scalped by Jason Aaron.

Or The Manhathan Projects by Hickman.

Actually, anything written by these guys is pretty good.

EDIT: Oh and Locke & Key!

So why don't you actually put effort into your recommendations instead of just complaining, if you want people to read them, you have to convince them.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

So why don't you actually put effort into your recommendations instead of just complaining, if you want people to read them, you have to convince them.

Eh...i wasn't complaining ... but sure, let's go :effort:

Criminal: If you like crime thrillers or noir movies, read this. Each 'arc' focus on different characters from Central City even if they're all sort of connected in one way or other.

Sleeper: superhero goes undercover in a criminal organization but then his handler is put on a coma and he's lost in the underworld since noone besides his handle knows that he's one of the 'good' guys. (Characters here have powers but that's just the setting, it's mostly a crime story).
Main character has an interesting power though:

and has some interesting ways to use it

Scalped: If The Wire and Deadwood had a baby and it was a comic book story that happened in an Indian reservation. It's main focus is about the protagonist coming back to the Rez, as an undercover fbi agent, after several years away to try to take down the reservation criminal warlord. But the great thing about this book is that like The Wire, all characters matter and some even outshine the main character.

The Manhathan Projects: oh boy, so Hickman decides to write about the secret history of US government science and what if Oppenheimer had an twin that was a psychopath, killed him and gets hired by the government while impersonating the good brother. And of course he's crazy and has multiple(infinite) personalities. Oh and then alien's invade, he kills an alien, eats his brain and gains knowledge of space travel. Oh yeah, there's also wormholes and Einstein ...

Locke & Key: Writen by Stephen King's son, the story is about 3 kids have their father brutally murdered by another teen and move with their mother back to their father's old home in Lovecraft. The house is obviously magical and haunted and there's some keys around that open doors to other 'dimensions'. And then their father killer comes back after making a deal with one of the beings haunting the house. And then they discover that the keys can do some other cool things...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sleeper looks pretty loving awesome, I'll definitely have to check that out. Got links to places these series can be bought?

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

I'm in Europe so i mainly bought them from Amazon.uk or TheBookDepository, i'm not really sure about US stuff :3 but amazon.com has the Sleeper omnibus which has both TPBs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sweet. Definitely going on my wishlist for the moment, probably pick it up if it goes on sale or someone sells one for 30ish.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This thread and the BSS one are great ideas and I'm glad you made them, Captain Invictus.

I don't know if anyone's outright said thank you for them, but as a fan of comics, manga, manwha, and everything in between I have enjoyed both of the threads immensely.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks. I'd just like people to try some new stuff, is all.

I don't like when certain series only come in expensive editions though. Stuff like Thermae Romae spring to mind, which is like 30 bucks a volume since they're all hardcovers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The current Humble Book Bundle contains almost the entire runs of both Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye and Robots In Disguise for a mere 15 bucks or so. This is a perfect opportunity to grab both in their entirety, about 80 issues total, it's like 400 bucks worth of really good comics for $15, and they come in cbz/pdf versions. Hard to beat, grab it!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
2000AD is a really good comics magazine that has been running mostly weekly for 38 years. I recommend reading all 1900someodd issues of it, along with all 350ish issues of the Judge Dredd Megazine. It's a good time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DrSunshine posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW >Convince someone to read a comic book with a single image :v:

Do you like Kenpachi Zaraki from Bleach? The "loving BORING" guy? Then you'll love the Saint of Killers from Preacher.

Warning: Preacher is like 75% a bad comic. Basically any time the book deals with the main plot, which is basically "I'm going to kick God in the nuts" it's really bad and tryhard edgy bullshit. When it's just people talking and musing on what it means to be a good person or second chances, it's dope as gently caress. Also, John Wayne's ghost is an important character.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So, thanks to this thread I've read Thor: God of Thunder vols. 1-2 and Ms. Marvel v. 1, and I enjoyed them both! I really like Ms. Marvel -- I'm a sucker for well-done origin stories, and as a fan of Runaways I really enjoy Adrian Alphona's artwork. Thanks for the recommendation, now I have some cool stuff to follow!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should grab that bundle

Do it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Someone tell me things about the Megaman comic

I know one of you is in here

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

Warning: Preacher is like 75% a bad comic. Basically any time the book deals with the main plot, which is basically "I'm going to kick God in the nuts" it's really bad and tryhard edgy bullshit. When it's just people talking and musing on what it means to be a good person or second chances, it's dope as gently caress. Also, John Wayne's ghost is an important character.

kicking god in the nuts is cool and good

But yeah, Preacher is full of 90s attitude, loving Bill Hicks actually makes an appearance. It is best read before you are 20.
Almost all of Ennis is worth reading, especially his war comics (a genre severely underrepresented in manga, at least in the translated section).

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

You should grab that bundle

Do it

No one reads loving transformers comics

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

kicking god in the nuts is cool and good

But yeah, Preacher is full of 90s attitude, loving Bill Hicks actually makes an appearance. It is best read before you are 20.
Almost all of Ennis is worth reading, especially his war comics (a genre severely underrepresented in manga, at least in the translated section).

Oh that reminds me, if you can find one of the few collections of Joe Kubert's Sgt. Rock you should, because that's also an actual good comic with some really incredible art.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A lot of emotion in some very sparse panels. Kubert is good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kubert is... god...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The little edition I got is Sgt. Rock's Combat Tales, its a tiny paperback but it has all the art in full color which is really nice, and a good selection of stories from throughout the run.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah Kubert was great
His takes on the silver age "you won't believe whats going to be in this issue" type of covers are the best

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah Kubert was great
His takes on the silver age "you won't believe whats going to be in this issue" type of covers are the best

I got his later book Dong Xaoi, 1965 and even though its more of a novel with pictures than a comic so I didn't find it mega interesting his pencil drawings in it are all really great. Should finish reading it someday.

He always was mega good at doing dynamism with a really natural flair.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dangerdoom volvo posted:

No one reads loving transformers comics
If you'll give'em a try, I'll send a humble bundle code your way if you give me your email or some method of contact to send it to(or you can add me on steam, just say you're adding me in here so I know it's you). No harm in trying it, right? I only recommend'em because they're the only Transformers fiction worth a poo poo. :)

Sharkopath posted:

Oh that reminds me, if you can find one of the few collections of Joe Kubert's Sgt. Rock you should, because that's also an actual good comic with some really incredible art.

My dad used to have a bunch of Sgt. Rock comics he had from when he was younger but they got destroyed during a storm that caused leakage in the house and soaked the box they were in. Looking on Amazon, it seems reissues are out of production and super expensive, a shame. Does it hold quality consistently all the way through or is it one of those cases of great art direction, great setting, but only a handful of actually good storylines?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

If you'll give'em a try, I'll send a humble bundle code your way if you give me your email or some method of contact to send it to(or you can add me on steam, just say you're adding me in here so I know it's you). No harm in trying it, right? I only recommend'em because they're the only Transformers fiction worth a poo poo. :)

My dad used to have a bunch of Sgt. Rock comics he had from when he was younger but they got destroyed during a storm that caused leakage in the house and soaked the box they were in. Looking on Amazon, it seems reissues are out of production and super expensive, a shame. Does it hold quality consistently all the way through or is it one of those cases of great art direction, great setting, but only a handful of actually good storylines?

I've only ever seen bits and pieces of it, some of it is super campy propaganda era beating up jerry type of stuff and other stories are really heartfelt and actually pretty full of pathos. The art and coloring is always fantastic though, a lot of it was done in the ultrabright neon palette of the silver age so it all pops off the page.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
3 books that I like that I haven't seen listed are:

Saga, Sex Criminals, and East of West

All 3 books are Image which is great for people interested in reading any of them because the collected editions of each are only $9.99 each

Saga - (Stolen from the official Saga thread) Saga takes place in a vast part of the universe very far and different yet often similar to our own. It mostly revolves around the planet of Landfall and its moon Wreath which have been locked in conflict for a very long time. Understanding that neither could really destroy the other without severely damaging both worlds, Landfall and Wreath decided to co-exist in peace, but just spread their war throughout the Universe, dragging other planets and species into their conflict.

Then one of the winged ladies of Landfall and the horned magic-using fellas of Wreath fall in love, bang, and have a baby which was not even thought possible. The couple tries to escape the wrath of their people who do not want their love affair to get out. (Thanks Timeless Appeal)

The main characters are:
Alana - A winged soldier from the planet Landfall
Marko - A horned pacifist / sorcerer
Hazel - Their beautiful baby girl

There are currently 3 collected volumes and one hardback omnibus edition.

Sex Criminals - Suzie and Jon meet each other and discover they each have the ability to stop time when they orgasm. So what do 2 people do with such a power? Commit crimes of course :)

The main characters are:
Suzie - Main female character. Can stop time (aka the quiet) when she orgasms
Jon - Main male character. Can stop time (aka cum world) when he ejaculates

There are currently 2 collected volumes

East of West
A sci fi western set in an alternate future where instead of 50 nifty United States there are only 6. A comet hit Kansas and left a smoking crater in what is called Armistice. The 7 countries are: The Union (Northwestern United states. Goes as far east as roughly Illinois), The Confederacy (Southwest United States), The Kingdom (Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama), Armistice and the burning plains(smoking remains of Kansas), The Endless Nation (Northern United states, stretches from Wisconsin to the Rocky Mountains and south as far as Oklahoma), The Republic of Texas (Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma) and finally the PRA (Peoples Republic of America) (Rocky Mountains all the way east to the coast). The 4 Horseman of the Apocalypse return to the Earth to bring about the end times, except Death is missing. He's on his own mission independent of the other three. Very huge world, and a very fun book to read. Each of the 6 countries has it's own distinct feel and look. I really enjoy it, it's also written by Jonathan Hickman who is knocking it out of the park with the current run of Avengers/New Avengers.

The main character:
Death - Horseman of the Apocalypse. Looking for his wife and child.

There are currently 3 collected volumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

I do not have a good typed up summary, but I think Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is a classic line-up of superheroes told in a classic way. The stuff that happened before the series started still impacts the line up and characters but it doesn't feel like you're missing any info. How and why stuff happened didn't matter that much, just that some characters are dead or gone and welp, this is how things move along after that. It feels to me like a really good and tightly written movie, but it exists right in the middle of the real Marvel universe with its stupid plots and histories.

I've been reading this and it's pretty good and entertaining, but I absolutely can't stand Kitty Pryde. She's like some nerd's idealized "quirky girl" character; sort of like the "personality" version of a girl in a comic wearing a thong and having a boob window. I have trouble coming up with specific examples, but I feel like I've seen her exact same character type and personality show up in countless other "white teen/20-something girl" characters across many different media aimed at nerdy types. Is this some Joss Whedon thing? Every scene she's in is just so poorly written that it's difficult to read, and unfortunately it seems like she gets a bunch of narrative focus from the writer(s).

Basically what I'm saying is that Kitty Pryde is the Western version of "moe".

• Locked thread