Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Decided to try Saga as my first foray into western comics since my Scott Pilgrim obsession from a few years ago.

It's nothing like Scott Pilgrim, well except for the fact that I love them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting it to be.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

Decided to try Saga as my first foray into western comics since my Scott Pilgrim obsession from a few years ago.

Good choice!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Nate RFB posted:

Complete coincidence with regards to this thread but I just finished this myself. I'd be lying if I said everything worked but overall top to bottom it was a very good read. Great page turner that despite its length was easy to start and finish in a matter of days.
Even if it wasn't from my recommendation, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I agree that it stumbles on a few points, but overall I think it is a Good Comic (or I wouldn't have posted about it, obviously) and is different enough from many of the recommendations to be notable.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 26, 2015

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm an official subscriber now to Saga. It's the only one so far. I went to Electric City Comics the other day and signed some paper and gave the guy a $20 deposit. I guess he's had a few people subscribe and never pick up their comics.

I can't even imagine that....

I have the massive omnibus volume of Scud sitting next to me. Not too bad so far....

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
It's been mentioned before, but I felt like adding some pictures:

Johnathan Hickman's East of West is a classic story of revenge set in a world where the Wild West was never won. History went astray and now cyborg cowboys and Indian techno-shamans prowl the mystic badlands on robot horses and flying cars. The Apocalypse is nigh, but Death is preoccupied with personal matters. Betrayed and (almost) murdered by the other Horsemen, he carves a bloody path across the continent in search of that which was taken from him and them that did the taking.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Avulsion posted:

It's been mentioned before, but I felt like adding some pictures:

Johnathan Hickman's East of West is a classic story of revenge set in a world where the Wild West was never won. History went astray and now cyborg cowboys and Indian techno-shamans prowl the mystic badlands on robot horses and flying cars. The Apocalypse is nigh, but Death is preoccupied with personal matters. Betrayed and (almost) murdered by the other Horsemen, he carves a bloody path across the continent in search of that which was taken from him and them that did the taking.

I already gave a shout out to East of West, but gently caress it's an awesome book.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Read the first volume of Y: The Last Man, and the whole "let's just go back to my lab and we'll solve this in a jiffy!" bit followed immediately by "oh no my entire lab is aflame!" seemed a bit hamfisted, but let's see where it goes from here. I do find it interesting that every single male of every specifically mammalian species dropped dead at the same instant. Makes me think of the doomsday scenario of a Gamma Ray Burst, but only affecting male mammals for some reason.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Everyone should read Prophet! Prophet is loving awesome

It starts as adventures of Space Conan - Prophet who travels the post-human Earth. He kills, fucks and survives his way through the crazy and dangerous world.

But it turns out that he is on a mission to ressurect the xenophobic Earth Empire, which consists of his clone brothers and abusive telepathic "Mothers".

The return of Earth Empire prompts the return of Old Man Prophet, the original one from the bad 90s comics. He is modelled on Big Boss from MGS, so you know he cool as gently caress. He brings his old gang back, which consists of a sad murderbot, a jolly robot, an alcoholic tree and a smug assassin lizard.

Then a lot of amazing sci-fi stuff happens, some of it barely connected but you shouldn't care.

There are 4 book volumes with the final one called EARTH WAR coming out this summer (in single issues first). Also avaliable digitally (you want it from the issue 21).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, fully on board with YTLM now. For a couple volumes I'd been thinking "what about the rodents and such that don't live very long to begin with?" and they actually answered it.

Some of the contrivance to induce dangerous situations have been kinda crap but volume 4 has been a five star ride in its entirety so far, the torture bit subverted my expectations quite a bit. Don't think I like this amulet tomfoolery that's been following the story though

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Read the first volume of Y: The Last Man, and the whole "let's just go back to my lab and we'll solve this in a jiffy!" bit followed immediately by "oh no my entire lab is aflame!" seemed a bit hamfisted, but let's see where it goes from here. I do find it interesting that every single male of every specifically mammalian species dropped dead at the same instant. Makes me think of the doomsday scenario of a Gamma Ray Burst, but only affecting male mammals for some reason.

I thought this was the American comics thread, not the harem romcom thread? :confused:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Reading the bickering in this thread feels like stepping into a comic shop in like 2003 when everyone was terrified teenagers reading Naruto on the floors of Barnes and Nobles all over America would destroy the universe. What the hell, I was under the impression that all the people who thought if they touched a Western comic they'd expand like Tetsuo and explode were all killed by the psychic backlash of Tokyopop collapsing?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 8, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It seems like there's way more arguing about which are the Best Comics and who Totally Sucks than over east v west styles.

Which is extra dumb because this isn't supposed to be any kind of definitive list of any fuckin thing. It's for suggestions for some good poo poo to read if you like sequential art based story telling.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Then again, this thread's mirror image in BSS has a ton of people posting about stuff they wouldn't have normally checked out and this one has almost no one doing so.

Which seems like a shame to me.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 8, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Saga #27 knocked it out of the park again. It's a great book.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Saga #27 knocked it out of the park again. It's a great book.

Thanks for letting me know it's out! Gonna try to swing by and grab it and the new Rat Queens after work.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

a kitten posted:

Thanks for letting me know it's out! Gonna try to swing by and grab it and the new Rat Queens after work.

Rat Queens was fuckin' aces, too. I was a bit wary after Upchurch got (justifiably) canned, but Šejić's style is working for me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Reading the bickering in this thread feels like stepping into a comic shop in like 2003 when everyone was terrified teenagers reading Naruto on the floors of Barnes and Nobles all over America would destroy the universe. What the hell, I was under the impression that all the people who thought if they touched a Western comic they'd expand like Tetsuo and explode were all killed by the psychic backlash of Tokyopop collapsing?

I'm sad that future didn't pan out. It would have been a better one :(

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Considering half the drat forums still poo poo themselves if someone makes a mention of a Cartoon Created By Japanese People, I'm gonna say that problem isn't limited to here.

Also this thread is lousy with the goddamn Transformers and that probably doesn't help

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Saga volumes 3 & 4 arrived today. Very excited. Already done with 3.

It's good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Felt like jumping into comics again because I watched Daredevil and reading Daredevil is fun, and I guess the marvel universe is exploding so might as well catch up on that too. Also wanted to read the new Star Wars comics because I found this hilarious.

Also picked up The Wicked and the Divine which was interesting. Don't really have a full opinion yet based off the first volume, but I'm a sucker for gods among the normal populace and reincarnation, and this has a pretty different twist on that by giving the gods a lifetime of only 2 years, so that gives things a different dynamic.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Saga volumes 3 & 4 arrived today. Very excited. Already done with 3.

It's good.

And it literally just gets better. Once you finish Volume 4 you will only be 3 issues behind, are you planning on reading it in trades or are you considering going month to month?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

And it literally just gets better. Once you finish Volume 4 you will only be 3 issues behind, are you planning on reading it in trades or are you considering going month to month?

I'll likely keep up volume by volume. It's great, and I'd love to be as caught up as possible, but I'm going to buy the volumes anyways so that a) they look nice on my shelf and b) I can loan them out to friends. I can't bring myself to pay twice.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DoubleDonut posted:

Considering half the drat forums still poo poo themselves if someone makes a mention of a Cartoon Created By Japanese People, I'm gonna say that problem isn't limited to here.

Also this thread is lousy with the goddamn Transformers and that probably doesn't help

the new transformers stuff is okay. not great but hardly the downfall of civilization

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally got around to reading the first volume of Saga, it was pretty good. I found myself trying to read the pages right to left occasionally though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Saga #28 came out today and as par for the course was pretty awesome. Some twists that I didn't see coming, but I really like where the story is going.

East of West #19 was really awesome. I'm a huge fan of where story is going.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 13, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm a few weeks late on this, but Saga #29 was great. I really hate to sound like a broken record but it's a really good book. Issue 30 is going to be the end of this "cycle" of books and this cycle has been by far the strongest of all of them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Saga Chapter 29

gently caress

gently caress gently caress fffuck fuuuuuuuck!!

I really like this comic a lot.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
You guys should read Rat Queens

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I thought i had done a big post all about Rat Queens, but apparently i never actually got around to it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I would like to bump this thread with a hearty recommendation for Rat Queens which loving owns, and Saga which is the only American comic book I have ever purchased in dead tree format, it's loving amazing holy poo poo.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The biggest thing I love about Image trade paperbacks is they are only 9.99 so it's super easy to justify buying therm.

This summer had been incredible for Marvel. All the Secret Wars related books have legit been awesome.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Saga and Y the Last Man are both very good, and are among the elite, in that they have a place on my bookshelf and are loaned out to friends.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Saga actually sucks

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Saga actually sucks

Look at this guy being all wrong and poo poo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Saga actually sucks
I'm not particularly fond of Saga myself (mostly due to the dialogue; everything else is okay), but unless you plan on expanding on that opinion don't bother sharing it in the future.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 19, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Saga is probably the best comic of the past decade and a half, and though it's not been a good decade and a half for comics overall(Marvel's been doing good the past few years) Saga is just drat hard to beat. I keep wanting to get the first couple of volumes for friends.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
The best at sucking maybe. ... .....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think Saga had a good start, but I'm losing interest in it. It's probably a comic that's better to read collected than a month at a time.

• Locked thread