Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lonesome Street and Spaceman have instantly become two of my favourite Blur tracks. Pyongyang is wonderful too, but sort of feels more like Gorillaz material.

I had serious reservations about their first new album in over a decade being something they whipped up during their tour downtime, but it's loving fantastic. I was expecting something more on the level of The Fall in all honesty.

e: Is it just me or should Too Many of Us have really been the last track? It feels like it was made to close an album.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

TheIndividual posted:

It might. They said a US tour would happen if sales were good, so a poorly written, unresearched review ain't helping that. If a tour were already scheduled I'd be a little less annoyed.

Not going to lie, the reception to blur at coachella a few years back was cool at best. They played exceptionally though and bannged through the hits.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

TheIndividual posted:

So that Pitchfork review was a hack job. Guy who only reviews rap gets to review the new Blur album with no prior experience with the band? Makes a ton of sense. Wonder if the band did something to anger the mighty Pitchfork, like refusing to play their festival.
In terms of the rating itself I can see how someone could arrive at that (although I personally like it a bit more), but yeah the actual review is very clearly "ehh I barely listened to this and don't care, feh teh." Of course this is the first time I've actually read a whole Pitchfork review in years so maybe they're all that way, for all I know

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

HD DAD posted:

If they do tour the US, they'd better slot in a Florida show. No one cool wants to play here. Probably for good reason.

It's not going to happen :(

- Dude living in Miami.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

I like The Magic Whip. It's not their best albumt, but its probably the best album I could've hoped for after so many years. It's a nice mix of the mid-90s Blur and the latter-years experimental Blur without sounding too much like either one. If anything, it's like a retrospective of their career using new music. I'm dreaming of another Blur album in the next few years where they can focus on getting even weirder again (like the progression from the s/t to 13 to Think Tank) now that they've gotten the comeback album out of their system.

Or a Gorillaz album. I'll take that too.

Honestly, Damon can just cough into a microphone a few times and press it in vinyl and I'd buy it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mt. Modular posted:

I like The Magic Whip. It's not their best albumt, but its probably the best album I could've hoped for after so many years. It's a nice mix of the mid-90s Blur and the latter-years experimental Blur without sounding too much like either one. If anything, it's like a retrospective of their career using new music. I'm dreaming of another Blur album in the next few years where they can focus on getting even weirder again (like the progression from the s/t to 13 to Think Tank) now that they've gotten the comeback album out of their system.

Or a Gorillaz album. I'll take that too.

Honestly, Damon can just cough into a microphone a few times and press it in vinyl and I'd buy it.

Gorillaz album coming next year

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd really love Blur to next do an album (or even just a 5-song EP) of brand new but 90s-retro-esque Brit-pop songs. Like the character songs Damon used to write.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I'd really love Blur to next do an album (or even just a 5-song EP) of brand new but 90s-retro-esque Brit-pop songs. Like the character songs Damon used to write.

I suspect there's zero chance of that. You'd be asking him to regress, creatively. Damon seems to want to always move forward. I believe he even said his initial motivation for reforming blur was to repair his relationship with Graham, and it worked out. I think they made the record because they didn't wanna play the same songs always. I doubt they need the money, especially Damon.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 4, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Right now I'm sitting with my boyfriend in Sydney Entertainment Centre waiting for Blur's first Australian show in 18 years to start. This is going to be incredible :D

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well that was loving amazing :h:

If you go to their live shows this tour, make sure you get one of these weird-rear end comic books at the merch table:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Yeah, that was pretty loving amazing. I'll admit I teared up a little when Damon gave Graham a hug in the middle of I Dreamt I Was A Spaceman.

That comic is weird. I flicked through it last night, it seems to involve panda police and Blur turning into anime superheroes?

• Locked thread