Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm so goddamned jazzed for this. For me Albarn can do no wrong musically, pretty much.

quote:

Albarn first hinted that there might be an eighth Blur album in 2013, admitting that when a series of shows in Hong Kong were cancelled, the band instead decided to spend their time in the city recording new material. “The opportunity came and we took it,” James told Bang Showbiz. “We were just jamming, but it was good.”

Albarn’s jam-packed schedule has often been held responsible for impeding the band’s musical progress: in 2012, William Orbit claimed that Albarn pulled the plug on a set of “amazing” recording sessions. “Damon, brilliant and talented tho he is, is kinda a poo poo to the rest of Blur,” he wrote.

Having formed at London’s Goldsmiths College in the late 80s, Blur’s debut album, Leisure, was released in 1991. Famous for pioneering the Britpop movement, the band went on to challenge their northern rivals, Oasis, in 1995 when the bands released singles at the same time: Blur’s Country House outsold the Oasis’s Roll With It by 274,000 to 216,000. “Blur won the battle, Oasis won the war, then Blur went on to win the whole campaign,” bassist James once said. What with suggestions that Oasis might one day re-form, perhaps the fight isn’t quite over just yet.

The Magic Whip will be released on 27 April. The full tracklist is as follows:

Lonesome Street
New World Towers
Go Out
Ice Cream Man
Thought I Was A Spaceman
I Broadcast
My Terracotta Heart
There Are Too Many Of Us
Ghost Ship
Pyongyang
Ong Ong
Mirrorball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The new single is classic Blur. Very excited for this.

Had there been any rumours of an announcement recently? After they aborted the sessions and cancelled the tour and Damon went off to do his solo album, I thought the Blur thing had been shut down completely. So this just came out of nowhere.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Creature posted:

The new single is classic Blur. Very excited for this.

Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1ks7PTzng

It doesn't do much for me, personally, but I'll listen to the album of course.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If anyone here reads Chinese, can you say what's written on the album cover?

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Graham is on this, right? Please?!

I'm so excited for this. There were some hints at a new Gorillaz project in the works too. If we got a new Blur and new Gorillaz album in the same 12 month period (hell, I'd settle on 24), that would be far too perfect.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Mt. Modular posted:

Graham is on this, right? Please?!

I'm so excited for this. There were some hints at a new Gorillaz project in the works too. If we got a new Blur and new Gorillaz album in the same 12 month period (hell, I'd settle on 24), that would be far too perfect.

He is. :)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Everyday Robots is probably my most heavily played contemporary album in the past year so I am way the gently caress behind this. Albarn has his hits and his (always interesting) misses, but when he's on he's on in a completely unique way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm so loving pumped for this you don't even know. The last "true" Blur album with Graham was 13, and that was pretty much a masterpiece.

The single is really nice, if a bit understated. Groovy.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Yeah, listening to the new single for the first time, I feel like it pretty picks up right where 13 left off. Which is a great thing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just found out about this, holy loving crap :h:

New Muse and Blur this year, new Gorillaz next year, I am so pumped!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh hey by the way, I wish I had gotten to see Damon's solo tour but this is the next best thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_De_De_De_Der

Has a pretty good selection of Blur, Gorillaz, TGTB&TQ, Mali Music and Everyday Robots tracks! Graham Coxon was there! What else do you need? :h:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man, Albarn is a songwriting machine. Looking at the double live album just gives you an idea of how long he's been prolific for.

Incidentally I find it incredible that the UK media still bring up that "battle" with Oasis.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I saw Damon live at the Sydney Opera House back in December. He's an amazing performer, and even after being in the business for so long, has this constant look on his face when he's onstage like 'this is awesome all my friends are here yay!'. :)

I know there's very little chance of Blur making their way to Australia, seeing as last time they tried it got cancelled because Damon and Graham (allegedly) got in a fistfight (that was one story anyway), but I can dream.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
God, I cannot stop listening to the new song. I was a little underwhelmed the first time I heard it, but it's gotten its hooks in deep at this point. That guitar solo at the end makes me so very, very happy. I hope I don't wear it out before the album comes out, but let's just say I'm EXTREMELY excited for this. "13" remains one of my absolute favorite albums, and this really does feel like a continuation, even being produced in much the same fashion. I can't wait to hear the rest of this.

Basically, that was the best surprise album announcement since, well, any. Incredible. I can only hope they come to the Pacific Northwest now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TheIndividual posted:

Basically, that was the best surprise album announcement since, well, any. Incredible. I can only hope they come to the Pacific Northwest now.

The fact that the album is just two months away is the best part.

For a lot of other bands it'd be like "Hey guys, an announcement to say we're entering the studio next month, so expect a new album from us in January 2016! Get excited!"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Well I think the story went that they had a bunch of poo poo recorded last year but didn't tell anyone because they didn't think they would ever complete it. But thank god they did.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 23, 2015

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

HD DAD posted:

Well I think the story went that they had a bunch of poo poo recorded last year but didn't tell anyone because they didn't think they would ever complete it. But thank god they did.

Was that for Blur too? I know he mentioned having a Gorillaz album pretty much done for a while now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://youtu.be/UQQObIQ63T0

New song "There Are Too Many Of Us". It's quintessential Damon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

http://youtu.be/UQQObIQ63T0

New song "There Are Too Many Of Us". It's quintessential Damon.

I think he might be a warlock. Great song.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
There's a bootleg of Blur's show from last night floating around out there. It is a Very Good Album. Not a bad track in the bunch, certainly better than Think Tank. "Ghost Ship" and "My Terracotta Heart" were my favorites on the first listen.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TheIndividual posted:

There's a bootleg of Blur's show from last night floating around out there. It is a Very Good Album. Not a bad track in the bunch, certainly better than Think Tank. "Ghost Ship" and "My Terracotta Heart" were my favorites on the first listen.

Ghost Ship is nice. Sounds like a Plastic Beach outtake :D

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Album version of "Lonesome Street" is out, and it's really really great. This album is finally starting to make sense to me. Subject matter of all the songs is very similar to Modern Life is Rubbish.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TheIndividual posted:

Album version of "Lonesome Street" is out, and it's really really great. This album is finally starting to make sense to me. Subject matter of all the songs is very similar to Modern Life is Rubbish.

Where would I find this?

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Where would I find this?

https://soundcloud.com/cultura-indie-7/01-lonesome-street

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Link doesnt work :(

Edit: Okay, I found it streaming on a :filez:ish website, so i don't think I should link it here. Surely the band will put it on Youtube officially soon. But yeah it sounds awesome!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 23, 2015

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

It's also on Spotify.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Alright, watched the "live" stream today. This album is incredible. It might be their best. It's certainly the most consistently enjoyable. No songs I'd skip.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I always love reading track-by-track stuff when I'm getting hyped up for an album. I love reading them obsessively and trying to imagine what all the songs sound like.

It's only a little redundant for this album because we've heard live versions of every song now. But have Graham Coxon's thoughts on each song, anyway:

http://www.nme.com/features/new-blur-album-the-magic-whip-graham-coxons-track-by-track-guide

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
More studio versions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDZh-JVV-ZI - Ong Ong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfqLrQB3shg - I Broadcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbvKJEHUXXw - My Terracotta Heart

Can't wait for this album.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Most of the album has leaked, what with the album getting some radio play. Thought I Was A Spaceman is my immediate favorite.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Whole thing is out there. Have listened a couple times, and it's really super super good. "My Terracotta Heart" is beautiful, "Ghost Ship" is gonna go on all summer fun mixes despite it seeming to be about drug addiction, and "Mirrorball" is an awesome spaghetti western feeling closer. I really love this album. All in all, it sort of reminds me of "In Rainbows", because it sounds like the band is actually having fun and feels kind of loose.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Going down to Lonesome Street!

Woo-oo woo!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So, I just finished listening to the album back to front while waiting for my flight out of LGA. While it's gonna take some time to digest, I'd most definitely say it is top 3. There's really no use in comparing it to other Blur albums, since I think it stands quite well as its own beast, but this is definitely the same band that made 13.

Favorites: Pyongyang, Thought I Was A Spaceman, Ice Cream Man, My Terracotta Heart

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm glad Blur got back together to make another good album.

It's Blur as hell to me and that's good. It owns.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
So that Pitchfork review was a hack job. Guy who only reviews rap gets to review the new Blur album with no prior experience with the band? Makes a ton of sense. Wonder if the band did something to anger the mighty Pitchfork, like refusing to play their festival.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I stopped taking Pitchfork seriously (although my respect for them was minimal to begin with) after the debacle with Future of the Left. The reviewer tried to sell the readers on the idea that the album was super slick and probably cost a lot (in reality, FOTL had to borrow most of their recording budget). Andrew Falkous wrote a response that was pretty loving terrific.

P.S. Album is terrific, shocking nobody

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 28, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheIndividual posted:

So that Pitchfork review was a hack job. Guy who only reviews rap gets to review the new Blur album with no prior experience with the band? Makes a ton of sense. Wonder if the band did something to anger the mighty Pitchfork, like refusing to play their festival.

Does it really matter?

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Does it really matter?

It might. They said a US tour would happen if sales were good, so a poorly written, unresearched review ain't helping that. If a tour were already scheduled I'd be a little less annoyed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If they do tour the US, they'd better slot in a Florida show. No one cool wants to play here. Probably for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress yes I just got 2 tickets to see Blur in Sydney in July :h:

First time the band has been to Australia in 18 years. This is most likely a once-in-a-lifetime for me.

• Locked thread