Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Started now, who are the announcers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
BT has Julian Ryder, the husky sounding fella and the color guy for race day. The posh sounding guy is Gavin Emmett, old motogp.com announcer and now a bt presenter and the dude with the heavier accent is Neil Hodgson, ex racer and host for BT now. He does the track laps and the grid walk.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I was going to say, one of them sounds very much like Guy Martin, except that you can understand him.

edit:

Great view of the elevation changes... that's awesome

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 10, 2015

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Come the gently caress on, dog on the track?

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
DOG ON TRACK!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I rode a night trackday last year where a coyote got on the track and was chilling in the sweeper off the main straight. Didn't even red flag the session :v:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

It finally cleared up, FP2 might be the fastest times all weekend

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Holy poo poo, Marquez is a beast

Edit: The end of that session alone was worth the cost of admission

Day Man fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 11, 2015

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Qualifying 2 was loving intense, and we're at turn 18 cause we have grounds passes, but it's an awesome spot.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow when I show up. I hopefully can get into the tower for a little bit too.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

AncientTV posted:

Qualifying 2 was loving intense, and we're at turn 18 cause we have grounds passes, but it's an awesome spot.

The hill at turn 1 has a pretty great view

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just like last year, everyone who's not Marquez can only hope that Marquez makes a mistake.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Day Man posted:

We sat there for the supersport race but we liked being able to see the end of the laps rather than the beginning.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Just like last year, everyone who's not Marquez can only hope that Marquez makes a mistake.

It's incredible that he managed to do that after sprinting 50m in race leathers; I'll bet it was the extra weight lost from sweating his gigantic brass balls off.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Day Man posted:

Agreed. It was the best spot in the whole place. Turn 15 was for nerds . I parked on the GA hill next to turn one and could see a ton. It was awesome.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Meh races. Highlights for me:

Quartararo getting it figured out. Hope he gets a win before he turns 16 but he's running outta time.

Nice to see Lowes stay on, him/zarco/rabat/simeon/rins fighting for the title probably? Should be better than last year at least, I barely watched.

GP was a snooze once the podium sorted itself but that was to be expected.

Despite all the riders praise of the circuit, has COTA given us a good race yet? I think the moto3 last year might have been p. good but I can't remember. It seems to suit the cars much better for action on track. I wish the US hadn't dropped the one track that gave some good racing.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nsaP posted:

Meh races. Highlights for me:

Quartararo getting it figured out. Hope he gets a win before he turns 16 but he's running outta time.

Nice to see Lowes stay on, him/zarco/rabat/simeon/rins fighting for the title probably? Should be better than last year at least, I barely watched.

GP was a snooze once the podium sorted itself but that was to be expected.

Despite all the riders praise of the circuit, has COTA given us a good race yet? I think the moto3 last year might have been p. good but I can't remember. It seems to suit the cars much better for action on track. I wish the US hadn't dropped the one track that gave some good racing.

As much as the Indy track is poo poo for racing, it's in a great location for people to get to.

The downfall for COTA is the back straight. Get anything near correct in the first part to stay close and blast past someone in the draft or on the brakes.

What the hell does Rossi do at COTA that's so different from everyone else, and that different from what he does at the other tracks, that he consistently and utterly shreds the front tires.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Skreemer posted:

What the hell does Rossi do at COTA that's so different from everyone else, and that different from what he does at the other tracks, that he consistently and utterly shreds the front tires.

Rides balls out to make up for the bikes shortcomings mostly. His lines were totally different to Dovis all through the race, and with the horsepower deficit he was making everything up on the braking.

After MM's qualifying lap it was pretty clear that the only person that was going to beat him was himself by making a mistake. I was sorry it didn't rain during the race as that would have levelled the playing field a bit and given us the excitement of the bike swap scramble in pit lane.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's vaguely disappointing that ducati now appear to have a bike with parity bordering on superiority to yamaha. Wonder what it'd be like if they somehow win a bunch of races and then get soft tyres taken away?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

They're not using the soft tyre in the race anyway, I don't think it'd make a huge difference.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They already lost the fuel bonus after the first race, right?

Apparently both Ducati bikes ran out of fuel on the victory lap. :newlol:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Collateral Damage posted:

They already lost the fuel bonus after the first race, right?

Apparently both Ducati bikes ran out of fuel on the victory lap. :newlol:

They only went from 24 to 22 liters. The full factory teams only get 20.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hmm. Will be interesting to see if they can keep their power advantage if they're forced back into factory rules then.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

Hmm. Will be interesting to see if they can keep their power advantage if they're forced back into factory rules then.

Everyone's back to 22 Litres and spec ECU next year.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
And even with 22 liters, they both ran out of gas on the outlap as mentioned. I think Dovi was complaining that one of the reasons he was really able to race with Rossi is the bike was holding back, whenever Dovi gave it the WOT, the bike would meter the fuel to make sure he finished all the laps.

I'm not sure if anyone follows World SuperBike, but Suzuki has switched to Magneti Marelli after the opening of the season basically throwing any chance of any hunt in the championship out the window. Alex Lowes and Randy DePuniet are screwed.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 15, 2015

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I thought one of the reasons for the fuel concession was that they are running the spec electronics and couldn't finish a race with 20 liters because they are limited on the amount of fancy electronic tricks they can do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

I'm not sure if anyone follows World SuperBike, but Suzuki has switched to Magneti Marelli after the opening of the season basically throwing any chance of any hunt in the championship out the window. Alex Lowes and Randy DePuniet are screwed.

I've only just started following WSBK. Why is MM bad?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

I've only just started following WSBK. Why is MM bad?

Suzuki switching to MM electronics is not inherently bad. It's just that according to the rules for WSBK, all new testing for this season is banned, meaning that all of the feedback testing and setting testing for RDP and Alex Lowes for the MM ECU will be sorted out during practice, qualifying and the races itself. Sure they might be able to get close, but they supposedly didn't get any base line settings for the ECU and their bikes and they were running a different ECU package until the 3rd race of the year.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
What a bummer of a race after the amazing Qatar round. Met some chill ducati dudes at the bar who were thrilled that ducati is doing so well. They also complained how both their bikes have been in the shop for months, ahohoho.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
and if you haven't seen it in the other threads, EBR (EriK Buell Racing) has closed/bankrupt and the team is saying "all is well for us".

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2015/Team+Hero+EBR+statement+following+EBR+closure

holy hell even the EBR website is down and showing just the default server page.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Hero racing appears to be continuing on however, with the EBRs for now.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They caught the dog from COTA and he's up for adoption, Austin goons I'm looking at you

https://www.facebook.com/austinanimalservices/posts/10153761445033696

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Italian bikes amirite? :supaburn:

edit: Amazing race end. Looked like it would be another snoozefest, but with Marquez crashing and crutchlow passing right on the finishing line it really shaped up.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 19, 2015

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Dang. Glad i didn't assume it was gonna be a runaway at the front and stop paying attention.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Go Johnny Rea pulling the double in WSBK. Go watch World SuperSport.

Marcquez should just bide his time, and stay healthy, sharp and pull wins, at some point Rossi will retire and he won't Marcquez won't have to work so hard at winning.

Anyone watch Moto3? Danny Kent pulled out a 10 second lead over the rest and the battles for second on down went pretty much up to the line.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I only saw the hilarious incident during Moto3 warmup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7fep8y0X2w

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Johnny Rea on the same bike as Sykes is making Sykes look pedestrian.

MotoGP thoughts: I have no sympathy for Marc Marquez at all, he tried to ride right through someone like he has so many times and Rossi punched him right in the mouth for his troubles. I don't know what is going on with Lorenzo, he's on the same bike that Rossi is getting fastest laps and race wins with but other than the first race he hasn't really been threatening. And Dovi with 3 2nds on a bike that still has development allowed for it might be able to Nicky Hayden his way into a championship by being consistently good and maybe taking 1 or 2 wins.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Amazing ride by Rossi, I felt pretty confident he'd have won even if MM didn't fall.

Also, I didn't notice until after the race that Pedrosa wasn't there -he's getting surgery for arm pump issue.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I have to wonder if MM is kicking himself for swapping to the Hard on the grid, instead of sticking with the Extra Hard. Once the bike started to slip and slide around 10 laps out it was only a matter of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He should be kicking himself for trying to fight back that hard on Rossi when MM's tire was clearly shot and Rossi had hunted him down and stalked him in the Rossi style. 2nd place is 20 points but he threw that away riding aggressive and putting himself at risk and it bit him, one of the few times I can remember his aggressive riding biting him and not someone else. I'd expect him to be smarter than that at this point but I guess when you're mid race the racer can override the thinker.

Dovi being just behind with a sneaky 3 2nd places is pretty great.

• Locked thread