Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

SSNeoman posted:

How hosed would you be if you started this game with a clean save?

nine-gear crow posted:

To start out? Not terribly so, as like 80% of the parts from the original game are purchasable or finable in PP, but the later into the game you go, yeah, you can get really hosed over if you're not bringing your original AC arsenal into the game with you.

I know this because Project Phantasma was my first Armored Core ever, so I didn't even realize that stuff like the Karasawa or Moonlight were things in this series until like two years later when I finally tracked down a copy of OG Armored Core.
It's actually not so bad, and you're far from hosed. The most difficult thing to overcome would be lack of having Human Plus as you cannot obtain these abilities. Most of the higher-ranking Ravens in the Arena are Plus, or are even outright cheating (a particular reverse-joint using 2x back-mounted Grenade Launcher comes to mind...), this where most of that difficulty comes in. As for the Missions themselves, only the very last few missions present any substantial difficulty, but these can still be trivialized with the right weaponry.

Though yes, you will completely miss out on any parts that had to be found in the previous title, the game is generous enough to start you with 100,000C which is more than enough to build a pretty good AC. The first mission is a money fountain in which they pay a bonus on results. You can hit the ground running very fast, and have an endgame-worthy AC within the first few missions, complete with optional parts. As you progress, you'll find that many of the new parts can be a workable replacement for many of the found parts. All you really miss out on is a Karasawa, and as powerful as it is, you do not need it to clear any of these games. In addition, the parts obtained from the Arena battles are either best in their class (though many have tradeoffs), or have unique functions not available with any of the stock parts.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

Beating Killer Rabbit also nets a second special part, the WC-SPGUN. It's a back mounted slug gun that shoots in a spread, and is not really to my style. Just another piece for the collection.
I didn't think I'd like it either, then I took it for a spin. Note the reload rate. It fires extremely fast, and the rounds have substantial power behind them -- enough to stunlock almost any AC in the entire arena provided you can keep it firing. This will be a recurring theme with most of the arena rewards. They're are either obscenely-powerful, or unique. That generator, despite its massive redzone, has the highest charge of any generator...before the redzone even comes up, though it is too heavy for most builds.

Something to note too, is that if the reward is a back part, the game gives you two of them, presumably so you can dual them. Not that you need to, but this gives you plenty of cash if you sell one of the two.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

Competition's fierce, man. It's only near the end does everyone start to show you respect (which is around rank 10).
Actually that generator has the second highest max charge, the GBX-XL beats it out by 2000 points. Though if I'm understanding right you're saying that the number for the maximum charge is separate from the redzone itself? Huh...news to me.
Yes, the condenser capacity is the green portion of your bar during missions, while the redzone is its own thing. It's a little misleading. Put them together and you have the total capacity of the generator, so when you take that massive redzone into consideration, there's no contest. But you got me there, I looked them up and the GBX-TL has 50,000 (Redzone: 22,000), where the GBX-XL is 52,000 (Redzone: 3,300). There isn't really a downside to the redzone, either. It may charge slower, but it also drains slower. In terms of gameplay, it boils down to being more charge in your generator, and doesn't necessarily affect performance by itself. What would make that redzone scary, though, is if you're nearing your maximum energy load to run the AC with its loadout, since the difference there is used to determine the recharge rate (probably along with some hidden values for each generator). Still, the real sticking point isn't anything else but the weight. I could say the same for the GBX-XL too, since its almost twice the weight of the other generators, more than twice as expensive (not that this will mean much -- by the end of the Arena you should be able to purchase literally everything), and is only marginally better than the GBG-XR. Both are hard to fit on ACs after weapons, and I myself still prefer the GBG-XR for anything I can't use the TL for.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

Also, after the Rank 31 fight, we earned another special part in the form of the HD-G780. It's a new head part that not only has similar functions as our HD-ONE (noise canceler, built in radar, etc), but it also has the most total defense of any head part in the game, a good portion of it being energy defenses. It isn't necessarily over powered or incredibly unique like some of the other special parts we'll earn in the arena, but among all the other head parts it stands out in that category pretty well. For variety's sake, we'll be swapping heads next update.
Some more parts-talk. I absolutely adore this series, and this is my favorite generation of them. :swoon:

As far as Head-parts go, the G780 is OP as hell. Powerful enough that it gets a big nerf in Master of Arena. It's only around 100 units heavier than other heads, but the defenses are more than twice of any other head. For some builds, though, that weight can make the difference. The numbers aren't insane, but it is hands-down the best in its class, and a no-brainer choice for any AC design in Project Phantasma.

I like that you're switching things up this time around, and I like that you're trying to make certain things work. In later Armored Core games Flamethrowers aren't a complete waste, but in this generation, it's useless. Sure, it does great damage if you can stick on a target for a time. Best of luck doing that to anything that isn't stationary, though. I applaud the effort all the same. I don't get to use them nearly enough because they're so heavy, so I'd like to talk about why I love Multi-Missiles.

Multi-Missile units can either be disappointingly weak or very powerful based on two factors, range and obstacles. Think of them like Sniper Rifles, but for Missiles. At short ranges, the missiles split and attempt to converge, only to cross paths just behind the target and miss. At longer ranges, however, they excel, as they'll converge right onto the target. Missiles themselves are generally weak in tight-quarters, and the multi versions are even worse in these instances. This may either require you to adjust your distance, equip a longer ranged FCS if their travel distance is still too short, or fight in a more open location. Number-crunchers will look at the ammunition and the damage per-warhead and wonder, "So if I have to be at mid-long range and have few obstacles to effectively use these, I can use this missile with more ammo at any range, ignore most obstacles and they do more damage, what good are these multis?". The answer to that is to confuse & overwhelm the Core-part's anti-missile systems, if applicable. Every missile weapon fights against two statistics of Cores, the Anti-Missile Response (lower number = faster possible intercepts) and Anti-Missile Angle (Number = Angle of possible interception, where any value between 0 and the number shown triggers the response). You know those red/orange beams you occasionally see emanating from your AC when a missile flies at you? That's this feature, and here's the difference:

A standard missile that fires missiles multiple-times, one after another, is easier for Cores to intercept for two reasons: All the missiles are coming from roughly the same angle, and their launch interval is long enough to intercept multiple missiles from one launch sequence. Not only does that make it easier to simply evade the entire stream as they all come from the same direction, but the few that do get through to be a threat, the intercept system can take of several more. That's a lot of potentially wasted firepower either missing entirely, or being intercepted. The few that do actually hit won't be nearly as damaging as hoped, and likely won't even stagger a lightweight AC. But with that said, they are easier to use, and you can be less mindful of obstacles in the way. The Vertical Missile is great for this, but they're fairly easy to avoid with some practice (or completely useless indoors, under an overhang, anywhere with low ceilings) As for mission targets that typically do not possess anti-missile systems, overshooting missiles via multiple single-target locks is easily possible, but controllable by firing with fewer locks.
Multi-missile systems overwhelm these systems by simultaneously throwing multiple missiles at the target that will all impact at the same time (Which is also the primary strength of any Dual Missile shoulder unit, or any part that fires simultaneous missiles aside from having high potential firepower), and further confuse them by attacking from multiple angles at once. This is harder to evade by default since no direction other than directly forward is safe, and must be done quickly, if not outright impossible depending on the range of the firing position. You may see beams moving to attempt an intercept in multiple directions, only for them all to fail, or most of them fail. The Dual Multi Missile unit is a very powerful piece with this in mind, and is extremely hard to avoid when fired from a great distance. The downside is that they're harder to use because they need a longer range & space to work effectively.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

I have to say I really appreciate the effort you put into making these posts, especially when they go into even greater detail than I can muster when writing these parts. Plus I even learn an extra thing or two I didn't realize before sometimes, so that's nice.
Thanks. I'm glad something I posted was useful. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see a write-up on, well, just put it out there and I'll see what I can wrack my brain for. I'll probably do a bit about interesting parts that end up getting used, but the more curveballs the better! :v:

I may be capable of doing videos soon since I'm getting a fantastic new PC, but I can't guarantee anything yet. If that becomes possible in the near future, would you mind if I did?

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I am truly glad you're mixing things up for this game because it's definitely giving me plenty of material to work with for parts-:spergin:, which I am more than happy to do. Also, it helps you to improve as a player, especially when you get to Master of Arena, because a lot of the battles there are brutal, and for certain sub-arena, force you to use leg-types you wouldn't otherwise consider using.

Since you've kindly opened the door on leg-parts this update, I'll go ahead and give a run-down. I'm not going to touch on specific leg-parts, because there are too many to mention, so I'll just go over the types of legs:

Legs are the single most important choice you can make in Armored Core. Your choice of leg-part will affect every aspect of your ACs performance, from defenses & mobility, energy efficiency & recovery, even how you handle laserblades is affected by legs. Even within the same "class" of legs, there are subtle differences in the movement performance, especially when relating to airborne mobility, turning speed, and the momentum of the AC. Their load capacity can also determine what kind of firepower you can field. It is a given that heavier legs = higher load = higher defenses = low speed, but each type is tailored to a particular style on play.

Standard Bipedal Legs are the average, standard legs compared to the more specialized types. "Average", however, doesn't mean "bad". They're the most numerous type, with plenty of offerings for each weight-class, so you can further categorize them and pinpoint strengths and weaknesses. They get good mobility all around, and while they don't particular excel at either ground-based or airborne-fighting, a combination of both is highly effective. Without Plus, they must take an immobile stance to use any type of back-mounted cannons. This greatly improves accuracy and firing angles over gunning on the run as a Plus, but being immobile is a death sentence except for extreme circumstances (A good example would be the final mission of the previous game, preparing a powerful cannon to kill Hustler One very quickly in a relatively safe area) They can claim one clear-cut advantage over other types, and that is having the fastest laser-blade strikes in the game. As long as they're played to their strengths (or the player's raw skill & loadout vs. the other, as the case tends to be with middleweights), they're excellent for players of all skill levels. I'll divide them into classes based on their weight to highlight the details.

Lightweight legs tend to be the most mobile, have low load-capacity and poor defenses, and are pretty drainy on your generator. Some enhanced models sacrifice in certain areas for higher defenses or AP, sometimes trading already-poor defenses for more load capacity, or trading more energy for better overall performance. They're highly mobile, both on land and ground, and when combined with a strong booster, can achieve excellent rising abilities, all while remaining easy-to-use. I preferred lightweight bipedal legs for a long time, utilizing quick hit 'n run strategies with the RFM-118 (i think that's the right part name, if not I am talking about the enhanced Rifle that becomes available in this entry), small rockets for staggering to setup for a blade strike, and some radar.

You don't want to take hits from many weapons. Without optional parts, even the starting Rifle can stagger one long enough to score multiple hits. You -definitely- want to avoid being struck by anything big, like Rockets, Bazookas, any kind of missile, and even chain guns, because it will stagger your AC and set you up to take dangerous amounts of damage. Employ hit 'n run or out-turn your enemies, or stay at long range and plink away with sniper weapons or mid-long range missiles...assuming you can fit them on without going overweight. They're almost always one of two extremes -- they're either glass-cannons that are loaded for doing a lot of damage very quickly, or they're long-range types trying to use their mobility to play keep-away and wear you down. There is a middleground, and it varies based on loadout. Good for players who like to get around quickly, and prefer evading fire as opposed to tanking it. Blading with them gives you plenty of speed (and thus, more opportunities to get in for a quick strike), but also sets you up to be staggered right out of the attempt, so care must be used. Learn how to evade fire and avoid landing hard, and they can take you far. The amount of practice required to learn effective evasion varies from player to player, but this generally isn't something beginners should work with until they gain some experience behind something a little more durable.

Middleweight legs are some of the most well-rounded, balanced legs in the game. They achieve good performance in all areas, with the LN-1001 series being the epitome of "balance". There are specialized types offering higher shell or energy defense, lighter weight (typically at the cost of load capacity or AP). These can actually be further divided into 'light middleweight' and 'heavy middleweight' without actually stepping fully into either extreme, trading a little mobility for defenses & load or some defenses for more mobility. I pilot lighter middleweight ACs these days, going so far as using the default, starter legs (mostly out of preference rather than statistics) unless I absolutely need something heavier for some reason. They're surprisingly effective if you can work around the low load capacity, and keeps them light for good mobility. Not a whole lot to say -- no strengths, no weaknesses. They can be built to fight effectively at any range, or specialize for a particular range. They can take some hits, and the smallest thing that can stagger one is a Hand Gun (the small, pistol-like version, that is -- the "gold shotgun" handgun (WG-HG512) is designed for staggering ACs and can even stagger a bipedal heavyweight) A solid choice for beginner or expert alike. Beginners will like maintaining a good speed & having solid defenses, while experts will enjoy using their personal style and skills to overcome all sorts of challenges.

Heavyweight legs are slow & plodding, but make up for it with the second-highest defense levels available to players, excellent load capacity, and retaining some shred of lateral mobility. You'll usually want to compensate for that by using high-power boosters like the B-VR-33 or possibly even the exceptionally-draining B-P351. The choice largely depends on your generator, and how drainy the rest of your AC is. You can field some of the big guns easily, like Bazookas, cannons, the Karasawa, and more. Anything less then several small missiles, middle missiles, rockets, bazooka or bigger will not stagger you. The "gold shotgun" handgun (WG-HG512) -can- though, so watch out for that particular gun. You might think being a giant, lumbering tank with huge guns is easy, and it is -- for missions. Your defenses mitigate a lot of damage, and you can avoid the slow, powerful hits while dishing it out yourself. The same cannot be said when opponents are zipping around at 400km/h+, floating around behind you, and making your life hell. Some loadouts however straight-up cannot kill you because they will run out of ammo first. If this ever happens to you be sure to gloat how your indestructible death-dealing monstrosity stood up to their weak, baby weapons and blow them to hell at your leisure...or as soon as you can actually hit them. They are surprisingly hard to use, and if you don't use general-purpose weaponry like Rifles, Pulse Guns, Machine Guns, or the like you must be very mindful of your shots and your ammo consumption. Big guns tend to have less ammo. Make every shot count. I can't recommend them for beginner players unless you're sticking to missions. I'm not particularly a fan of them, but I know people who make good use of them and throw their weight around pretty easily. It's a love-or-hate thing, but it is typically very difficult to play to their strengths without significant practice.

So, after that block of text about the standard-stuff, we can move on to the more exotic types.
Reverse Joint type legs at first glance seem like standard bipedal legs. In several ways, that isn't wrong, but there are some notable differences. They're cheap to buy and repair, drain less energy, have middling-to-poor defenses and load capacity, and low-ish AP. Their mobility on the ground leaves something to be desired, and they suffer in turning speed. And then you hit the jump button, and you go careening into the stratosphere at a single button press. That isn't just for show -- Reverse Jointed legs are exceptionally maneuverable while airborne. Even the heaviest of them (roughly equivalent to a heavy-middleweight biped in weight) are more agile in the air than several types of lightweight bipeds. They are very much an airborne fighter, and they excel at it. A good build with a skilled pilot is unmatched in the sky. Like any other biped, they will need to take a firing stance to use cannons. But you shouldn't use cannons on them anyway, even as Plus. Laser blades aren't so great either -- they're 3rd place overall. They are decently-useful for mid-air blading, however. They track a little better, and their slash is suited for striking enemies just slightly lower than them. The difficulty of such a thing prohibits extensive or exclusive use, and you cannot fire blade-beams while airborne regardless of blade model or Plus status.

Rather than power, you're looking for efficiency with your boosters. The B-T2 or the B-HP25 are solid choices, with the higher-powered B-T2 being better because the HP25, though incredibly efficient, is very slow. (B-T001 is serviceable, of course, being the overall best booster in the game). Being above your opponents has distinct advantages that aren't immediately clear to novices. As any player will tell you, the AI pilots love to jet around somewhere above you and be annoyingly hard to track regardless of their designs. This is the strength of RJ The objective is to stay in the air at some range as directly above them as possible, preferably darting over their head when you think they've drawn a bead. If you're not above your enemies, you're recharging energy to get back up there, or you're floating dangerously close to the upper-ceiling of the combat area (Don't accidentally go out of bounds via skybox!). Floating just over your opponents head moving back and forth over them while staring down at them means you can maintain a lock-on without needing nearly as much turning effort to keep up, especially with Wide & Shallow FCS-types. Meanwhile, they will need to turn a lot just to keep up -- let alone get a good shot on you. Depending on your loadout, you can fly low and peck away with short-to-midrange weapons and be annoyingly hard to hit, you could outrange them with height and utilize long-range weapons with disturbing precision, you could go somewhere in between, and even use any sort of missile effectively. An overlooked weapon, the Mine Dispenser, likely a back-weapon either completely forgotten or tried once and filed under "suck" is best used on RJs, but only at low altitudes. The damage potential is absolutely incredible, capable of shredding the heaviest ACs in seconds...but the tradeoff is that they are annoyingly-hard and very finicky to use effectively.

If the enemy flies up to meet you, you've successfully brought them to fight you on your terms -- where you have a significant mobility advantage and are easily capable of utilizing all axes for evasion unless they too are reverse-jointed. Avoid cannons, even if you're Plus. Their firing angles are limited, they're unable to shoot downward past so many degrees (around 45~55 or so downward) while arm weapons are not limited to such restrictions and can actually fire straight-down. Use fast, solid-round weaponry such as Rifles, Sniper Rifles, or utilize missiles. Certain weapon-arms can be exceedingly effective at further cost to your defenses. Try to avoid energy-based weapons, as your energy should be preserved to stay airborne, or to stay evasive on the ground as you recharge. The Karasawa cannot be overlooked, and if you must use an energy weapon, it should be this or none.

It all sounds gravy, but then you realize something. You have poor defenses, and you're easily staggered. You've got mobility as your primary defense. Being staggered means you're falling. Falling can mean destruction. Missiles are your worst enemy, as even small missiles can bring you out of the sky. It is generally more difficult to avoid missiles coming from range when you're starting off airborne, and while you have great agility, missiles are difficult to evade while staying in the "sweet spot" directly above your enemy. This could open you up to other attacks, and heavy weapons will knock you around like nobody's business, throwing you off and putting you in a dangerous position. You can minimize the chances of this, but few missiles have a small sight for lock-on. Some can target you while you're floating slightly behind targets, and you must be mindful. You have to try to apply missile evasion techniques vertically, which is substantially more difficult than lateral missile evasion. The same principles apply, but are more difficult to implement.

I've heard stories of novices doing awesome things with these, but those are the exception rather than the rule. I'd recommend them for advanced players who are familiar with all kinds of movement and missile evasion techniques, but this feels unfair, as once you get a feel for them, they're not particularly difficult to use well.

I'll throw that out there for now, and save another write up for quads and caterpillars for another post. This is lengthy enough as it is.

e:

SugarAddict posted:

Is it possible to fire more than one weapon system at a time?
If that was the case, would it be easier to just have Gatling arms and two back Gatling guns and just let loose?

And I remember there was an energy shield module in the original Armored core, do you have plans for that?
This showed up while I was writing up my post, and I can answer both! :v:

There is no way to use multiple weapons simultaneously until later generations, unless you count weapon-arms, being two of the same weapon. So no, you unfortunately can't go dual back-mount Chaingun Cannons or even be a Gatling Monster and let loose. Would be pretty nuts, though.

As for the 2nd question, I can only think of one thing that could possibly fit that description, is something from Master of Arena, the P77-ST Stealth part. Which isn't really an energy shield of any sort! If I recall, shields were introduced in Armored Core 2, which I am significantly less familiar with, so you might be a generation early.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 3, 2015

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I...uhh, don't really want to make an effortpost until there's a new page. Between those and Arc's updates, there's a lot of content to take in for one page.

The Arena battles have quite a fair difficulty curve. It starts off insultingly easy; the first contender has less than a default starting AC would, but gradually becomes more difficult. Better weaponry, improved parts, better AI performance...then it takes a sharp spike upwards at around Rank 35 or so, when combatants have quality ACs that are fully equipped. It's this sign that the kid gloves are off, and the game starts putting up a real fight. After 25-ish, the game is actively trying to kill you, with even better performance, and a solid dose of Human Plus. At 15 there's another spike that sharply raises the AI difficulty, and it becomes determined to drag you down to Hell. So not only do they have good builds, their AI is very strong, they are pretty much all actively cheating at maximum power, and have the benefit of not having to make a weird game-claw with its hands to track you. Yet, there's still one more tier left! When you win, you actually feel like you've accomplished something, because it's loving hard.

Project Phantasma introduced one of the most annoying sound effects whenever boosters are engaged. For those that like to "pulse" their boosters to maintain height and energy, it becomes some obscene cacophony of noise that grates on the ears. Add in spastic AI-controlled ACs who just love to hover at the bottom of their energy bars, and it's like an orchestra of ear-bleeding madness.

I think I'm going to challenge myself and see just how far I can go with a stock AC without Plus. :v: Should be interesting

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

It's true that having a new page would be good. I'm more used to the later AC games so I can't really comment.

Except that I'm glad we'll eventually move out of tank controls city.

Also the part 5 link in the OP is messed up.
More people were exposed to the later games, which I think is a sad fact as I feel like the first gen plays best. Not to say I don't like the later ones...just that they felt less of a game and more of a sim? Not really sure how to put it. Seemed like as time went on, they became more about crunching numbers than making a sweet murderbot and piloting it well. Especially when said numbers don't really matter when you have such OP weaponry that other mechs get wrecked in a single hit regardless of high numbers...but that's discussion for a much later thread :)

I rather like the controls for these. Contorting my hands in weird ways to wrap around a controller a certain way is something I seem to be skilled at. Might explain why I am the only person I know to make good use of Rockets. (they're good i swear :() I never got a good feel for the dual-stick schemes until AC4 and 5. You've also got until the 4th generation games (Nexus, Nine-Breaker, Last Raven iirc) until you get a dual-stick control scheme, so strap yourself in! :v:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

4A really does have a good setting, and those ending choices in particular could get pretty sadistic, but it's the one thing I have the least issue with regarding that particular era of Armored Core.
Supposedly, "that one ending" (I'm sure you know the one, I'm just trying to tiptoe around spoilers) is apparently the true ending. Rumors seem to point to it being why the world in AC5 is so hosed-up. While I didn't quite finish Verdict Day yet as I'm sick of grinding team points just to get access to parts that aren't complete garbage, maybe there's some reveals towards the end that I'm missing.

Honestly, though, I think that with all the cash-monies FromSoft is making hand-over-fist from the Souls games that they should give Armored Core the reboot treatment. They can nail the gameplay. They can nail a story, and they can even do some semblance of continuity if the King's Field series was anything to go by. As hard as I wished the series would get real multiplayer going, it shouldn't be at the cost of an actual single-player mode. There's no reason they can't do both. They could even bring back Chrome, Murakumo, their associated child-companies, and hell, maybe even introduce companies from later games sooner to build them up.

quote:

I do remember vividly that in 4A various equipment had vastly different performance based on your patch number, with one of the starter builds being an energy hog beyond belief in one of the original release, to the point that if you slipped off the edge in the first mission you basically couldn't get back to the mission area, while the final patch allowed me to use basically that mech with few changes all the way through the arena, mostly because its boosters didn't drain your energy in 10 seconds of use, and the starting machine guns got a 3.5X multiplier on their power from the previous patches.

Some of those Regulations they created, even the ones that were based around balancing multiplayer ended up breaking the single player game in hilarious ways. Some of the arena NEXTs (and even some in the missions themselves!) push the limitations of energy and load capacity so much under the default set that some of the small tweaks completely annihilated their performance using up-to-date settings. And don't get me started on the "infinite energy" patch, while interesting, was totally broken.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

New page, and new PC! :dance:

So, then, time to break it in with a wall of text about the other two leg-types, handily demonstrated by the AC Tech Research crew and the ScorpionSpider Team guys (which I was admittedly waiting on to post this write-up!). The last write up went over bipedal type legs, both standard and reverse-joint detailing the strengths, weaknesses, and other notable features. Today, we're dealing with two vastly different types of legs, but each excelling in their own niche. Additionally, neither of these two types are capable of equipping the Karasawa laser rifle, and maybe one or two other parts. I really can't remember what other restrictions they have.

Quadruped, Four-Leg type, "Spider Legs"
There are four easily notable features about this type.
One, they all have a low load capacity.
Two, they're all very quick on the ground.
Three, they're extremely taxing on Energy, often draining double what other parts would.
Four, they're very heavy even though they have high speed.

While it may seem odd that four robotic legs carry less than two, it sort-of makes sense when you understand that the Core parts are not directly supported by the legs, they are all off center and there is empty space directly underneath, unlike the bipedals. This leads into an interesting note about their size and profile -- where bipeds tend to be tall and narrow, quads are shorter and wide, making for a larger, but shorter target. At close ranges, this becomes important as some weapons that would otherwise hit can actually fire directly over their heads.

These types are the ultimate choice for ground-based warfare. Similar to Reverse-Joints being exceptionally agile in the air, these are about the opposite of that. Their standard jumping ability is surprisingly average, being similar to lighter bipeds. All of them are naturally very fast on the ground, meeting and exceeding boosted movement from some many biped-types, and all of them are faster than standard walk/run speed of all other types, often flying in the face of the actual "movement speed" statistic. Perhaps because of this, they cannot effectively perform a boost-dash themselves, as it'll cause them to go airborne instead. Yet this can still be advantageous, as long they don't stay airborne for long and stay near the ground, their momentum from standard movement carries with them to move even faster, until the momentum from standard movement bleeds off, anyhow. Another detail is that this type can utilize back-mounted cannons on the move without Human Plus upgrades, however they can only do so while on the ground. Considering that this is where they should be fighting, and that cannons have blind angles below them, that isn't as much of a negative as one would think. They also get to share a unique attack motion for laserblades; instead of slashing, they stab forward with them, which actually results in higher damage as the blade is striking the target for a longer period of time. While they don't have enough legs to truly be a Spider, and that the movement of their legs is more of a hovering, floaty-thing, the comparison is apt. Add cannons and a spider will have a nasty bite. Add proper thrust and the spider will make a series of evasive short-hops to evade and confuse predators. Spin large webs of missiles to force enemies to fight on your terms -- the ground. Just like real spiders. Hence the nickname of "Spider Legs".

Like most types, they have their downsides. They're a big target with a large profile, made even worse when targeted from above or below. Steps can be taken to mitigate an airborne attack, but there's little they can do to targets beneath them. Stay on the ground. Quads are pretty terrible for platforming, or anything to do with airborne maneuvers. But don't let the low load capacity fool you -- even the lightest of the quads are heavy, equivalent to the heavier middleweight bipedals. Likely due to the weight, and having twice as many legs, the drain on Energy is also very high -- the highest in the game, in fact. All quads are require vast amounts of energy from generators, and with a lesser generator, its quite easy to go over the cap even if you're not using the drainiest parts. Not only are they hard to lift, but they'll drain your bar quickly, and the subsequent recovery of said bar will be much slower. It doesn't help that, aside from their low-altitude boost-hops, they handle like a tugboat in the air. Speaking of air, since they're are a bigger AC by nature, it also means airborne enemies have an easier time hitting you, even with short-hop evasion patterns. Just to hammer the point hard, they are exceedingly bad when airborne after their ground-based momentum is gone. Their mobility advantage is taken away from them, they require too much energy for air-based antics, they're heavy to the point where their rising ability suffers greatly, and they cannot fire their cannons. Most of which are heavy, and difficult to fit on the poor load capacity. They're even worse than reverse-joints in that respect, and the heaviest, drainiest, biggiest set can only carry 5000 units whatever measurement of weight they use in Armored Core-land. I can't stress enough how terrible they are while in the air. If I'm remembering correctly, cannon use is completely disabled in the air even with human plus upgrades! But checking on that would require me to actually boot up the game, start a new file, and build a cannon-quad to test that again, which I am unfortunately too lazy to actually do to verify for sure.

Defensively, I've already talked about their mobility potential, suck at air and good at ground, but how do they fare when they start eating bullets? Not well, actually, but not as bad as one would think. Their armor is not paper-thin like reverse-joints and other lightweights. Even the smallest and lightest quads have higher solid round defenses than the smallest and lightest bipedals, but all types of quads have a relatively low defense vs. solid round weaponry. Luckily for them, most of the really damaging stuff, like bazooka rounds, grenades, missiles, and rockets can be evaded, but those little plinks and pokes from small, difficult-to-evade weaponry such as rifles, machineguns, and hand guns will add up to cause severe damage if something isn't done about it. You might have noticed I didn't really say much about energy based weapons, because they generally perform quite well against them. Only the most e-defense-specialized ACs will outperform quadrupeds when taking fire from lasers and plasma. Due to their floaty nature on the ground, high-stagger weapons will push them around quite easily, impairing accuracy and leaving them vulnerable.

The key for these is to think like a spider. Stay on the ground, make quick, short hops for evasion, spin webs made of missiles to keep the enemy grounded, and bite hard when the opportunity presents itself. Don't use low-power, efficient boosters. Ideally they should move as fast as possible during short hops. While weaponry is the true determiner of your ideal range, a quad can effectively fight from any range from anywhere except in the sky. Keep in mind though, that it is not wise to plant yourself face-first into machineguns or high-stagger weaponry like handguns, they will shred quads. It is also not wise to enter battle without some type of missiles. It is likely best to equip for all ranges. While airborne targets can be dealt with sans missiles, it certainly makes the task far easier. I cannot recommend them for novices, and I cannot recommend them for middling pilots either. It takes a lot of practice to get a good feel for their rather unique mobility performance, and breaking the habit of boost-dashing everywhere can be difficult. It takes a good sense to effectively use the large cannons they can mount, as does being mindful of range when using missiles in general. While flying is a fun and very tempting option, the sky is not a good place for a spider. Ravens, after all, will eat spiders.

Caterpillar, Tank, "Tread" legs
You lie, videogame. These aren't legs at all! At first glance, these look like the go-to type that you'd equip if you want really high AP and defenses and equip the heaviest and biggest of all weapons.
And you'd be right, with one particular exception that I will call special attention to when the time comes.

These are flat-out the heaviest, well-defended, most stable "legs" that can be used. Their defensive specs are absolutely insane, and all of them will easily attain AP ratings in the 9000 range. I believe the absolute maximum possible is 9990, if I'm remembering my parts correctly, and it'll have the defenses to match. Like Quads, they are shorter and fatter than bipeds, but unlike quads, their profile is more rectangular rather than squared. Still a larger, but shorter target, and the difference in shape won't really come into play due to how the legs turn as they strafe side-to-side, even while airborne.

Caterpillars are similar to standard bipeds in that their performance is standardized regardless of their location. Their effectiveness is not diminished by being airborne, grounded, or on the move. The similarities end there. Tanks are heaviest possible leg-type that can be used. They're obscenely stable, and they're almost impossible* (*may actually be impossible, faulty memory again and I don't wanna check) to stagger out of anything. They can use cannons on the move, or even while airborne, and even get a larger firing angle for them. But they are painfully slow. The only fast-moving Tank is a falling Tank. Which isn't as bad as I'm making it sound, and I'll go over these peculiarities in due time. While they can easily run people out of ammo through excessively high defenses and AP, they are not invincible. Laser blades do still exist, and high-power weapons do as well. Speaking of laserblades, Caterpillars handle them the same way a Quad does. They stab for a satisfying shank attack that will do a truckload of damage, which is less impressive because anything a Tank can equip should make for a truckload of damage, and a Tank likely won't get the opportunity to impale someone on a laserbeam.

As with everything, though, there's a price to pay for such a high durability and high capacity to cause carnage consistently and constantly. Their "mobility" is a complete joke. They do not get to equip the kickass B-T001 or B-VR-33 or any of the booster parts. Nope, Caterpillars come with their own proprietary set of boosters built-in to the legs themselves, and with the exception of one that's actually decent, these boosters are all loving terrible. These types are painfully slow, but they can still fly. Only a pilot practicing patience prudently can stand the agonizingly slow movement of these. If you're one of those unfortunate fools who took one of these into "Stop Gas Exposure" back in the previous game, I genuinely feel pity for you and I'm sorry you made such a poor life decision. Tanks rely exclusively on their durability to carry them through battles, and as weaponry becomes more powerful, their armor becomes less worthwhile. Sure, that armor might reduce a grenade from 1900AP to 700 AP damage, but they have a minimum of 15 of those for a total of 10500 damage. And they're all going to hit. Lesser weapons will still run out of ammunition, but not before doing significant damage to these ACs. Better ones are still going to turn it into scrap, and since dodging isn't exactly a strong option for a tank, they have no choice but to eat that fire. And it gets worse, in that this poor mobility translates into a slow turning speed too. It is excessively difficult for a tank to shake off an opponent who gets behind them, and it is unlikely many will ever learn how before crying themselves to death in their cockpit of what would be a slow-moving wrecking ball if only they could just turn fast enough.

All that said, there are some strategies that a Tank can employ to evade & reduce damage aside from stacking higher numbers or swapping to something more mobile. They can still fly, and they are still as effective as a flying tank as they are a grounded tank. While their bonus to cannon firing angle isn't enough to tag things directly under them, they can use that flight to make them more difficult to simple circle around all day. Fly up, choose an open space, and move in that direction. Fall (purposefully) when taking fire. Repeat. Doing it right kinda looks like a sine wave sort of pattern. Don't accidentally run yourself out of energy. Take shots whenever possible.

The Exception:
The LC-HTP-AAA Leg Part

quote:

Type: Caterpillar
Price: 38500
Weight: 2915
Energy Drain: 2877
Armor Point: 3688
Def_Shell: 728
Def_Energy: 694
Max Weight: 4130
Speed: 250
Stability: 630
Jump Function: None
Description: Has performance near that of a four-legged type.
Now, see, this is incredibly misleading, because it isn't magically a spider. It is nothing like a four-leg. It's still a Caterpillar, and should be played as such. It has a painfully low load capacity, and at first glance, doesn't appear to be much faster, and is quite draining for a tank-type. However, it actually has mobility, and the built-in boosters are actually strong enough to get somewhere. Its turning capabilities are even passable! The only real evasive option available to a tank is described earlier; moving up and down in a wave-like pattern. This model excels at that, and is actually capable of evading fire in that matter. It still isn't particularly effective, because the total weight of the AC causes heavy downward momentum, but it helps, especially alongside the impressively solid defenses. It is unstable, though, and fairly easy to push around. That load capacity is going to be extremely difficult to work with as a tank-style, but, that's a point in the part's favor. It forces the player to build lighter in order to make the most of the mobility options of this particular part.

Unfortunately, in this first generation of Armored Core, the harsh mobility penalties of Caterpillar-type legs are too great to make them as effective as they could be for AC vs. AC combat. Later games improve on this with things such as overboost, extension boosters, additional weapon-types, and left-handed firearms, but until then they're just not very good. They will excel in missions as long as you have the ammunition to supply them, and if said mission does not require speed, but I cannot recommend them for fighting other ACs unless you're absurdly skilled at preventing them from getting behind you. Which is almost impossible to actually do in practice, because Ravens also eat Caterpillars. :v:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

The Finger is literally the strongest weapon in the game when it comes to DPS. It will not stagger, but it will shred even the highest possible defense in a matter of seconds.
Unsurprisingly, it gets significantly tuned down for MoA.

ArclightBorealis posted:

Also, if you haven't paid attention to recent releases on PSN, Armored Core 1 went up as a PS1 Classic last week and can be bought for $5.99. If any of you have been wanting to play one of the original games but not had the time or money to look for physical copies, there's another avenue right there. I can only assume PP and MoA will end up on there in the near future.
It's about time. One can only hope PP and MoA come too.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Chronology is hard. Especially for this series. Since I don't really have anything else to talk about, considering I blew a nice, big, :spergin:-load about types of ACs earlier in the thread, I'll hit this while I'm still thinking about it.

No matter what most people say, I seem to have gotten it stuck in my head that the player character is the same for all three game from this first generation. Master of Arena goes first and foremost, giving them a reason to become a Raven in the first place. Immediately after the setup of Hustler One having killed the player's family, the very first game begins, with the player taking the test, and becoming a Raven. So a part of that game happens, with some non-critical missions here and there, the initial part of this game happens up until spoilers. Then Project Phantasma happens, and you become a reputable, successful Raven in earnest. Next up, the majority of the first game happens, but before Chrome and Murakumo fall, the rest of this game, Master of Arena, happens. In the aftermath of the events, the final scenes of the first game take place, detailing the fall of Chrome and Murakumo, culminating in the player rebelling against the Raven's Nest and destroying its main computer systems during Destroy Floating Mines.

While I feel like this would neatly tie it all together, and actually make a lick of sense, this is not what actually happened! This is just my take on the whole thing. What actually happened is very poorly explained within the games themselves, and apparently there are outside sources that do confirm what the actual "canon" storyline is. I don't actually know that part myself! Someone much more well-informed than me can weigh in when relevant spoilers have been revealed. I'm mostly just good at the nuts & bolts and AC construction. :(

On another note, I don't feel like this is the "best" game in the series. All possible parts are available, even the hidden parts from the very first, and there's a load of new ones, so you can truly build anything you want. For me, the "best" will always be the one that started it all, the first, vanilla game with an interesting corporate warfare slant and underhanded, backstabbing deeds. Really evokes the feel of being a mercenary for hire. You could work for one group, then turn right around and work for their rivals the next mission as long as said mission isn't the "reverse" of it (such as Secret Factory Recon and Guard Factory Entrance).

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The most I can remember is indirect attack missiles were incredibly popular because of boost hopping wrecking FCSes.
Rockets cure boost-hopping. :colbert:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

[That's kinda hard with AC1 aerial 'momentum', or the lack thereof. That said though, I forget if triple rockets were a thing around this time, those were good for that purpose.
I like that floatiness, as unrealistic as it may be in a game about giant robots exploding everything. I think it's the main reason I like this first generation so much. Really helps to sell the impact that taking hits from weapons has when your paper-light AC gets slammed to the ground after eating a volley of vertical missiles, or the opposite, being blown far higher than you wanted to go.

Triple rockets don't exist yet, and I'm not going to pretend like they're easy to use and that anyone could do it. Rockets are really hard to use, and it takes a psychotic level of determination to keep practicing before you even start scoring hits in a real fight, let alone reliably. I just put a lot of time into using them, because small rockets happen to be pretty strong, very lightweight, have a solid number of rounds, and don't require a stance to fire, a rarity among back-mounted weapons. As a result I could probably play this generation without the FCS sight lock now, which makes me feel pretty :smug: and a little :spergin: at the same time, somehow.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Some minor corrections and some other notes for the last update:

--The WM-MVG812 Small Missile Launcher. The game's description only hints at its selling point, and the stats looks unimpressive because as mentioned, it launches fewer small missiles than a part existing since the vanilla game (which has its own downside of launching them in an upwards arc, as does the other pod that can launch 4 small missiles that was hidden in the first game).

However, this is actually a solid part!, if heavy. The description states: "A heat-seeking missile that tracks its target." Sounds like any other missile, but most descriptions don't talk up the tracking of missiles. These missiles' selling point lies in their enhanced tracking and speed. Depending on the enemy AC's Core part and the position you're launching from, you can reliably expect to hit AI opponents with them. I've personally seen these missiles miss, loop around, and still hit the target. I've also seen them do the same thing, except slam into my back instead when I went to blade the guy. Hilarious :v:

--The WG-XW11 Laser Rifle isn't just firing faster, it actually does fire two rounds simultaneously. It also isn't the fastest-firing, hand-held energy weapon, but it is equivalent to the WG-XP2000 Pulse Rifle, which is drat fast with the appropriate optional part. The WG-XP1000 fires twice as fast still. I've used this gun, and recall it being pretty good, with more ammo than the PPK and Sawa, but I don't remember how it tracks said ammunition. If it burns 2 ammo for every pull, it's actually awful, though. I was far less experienced then, too, so maybe my time as a novice was blinding me to facts. There's an even faster lasergun if you needed more pew-pew in your life, anyway.

--The HD-4004, while a nice HELM alternative, is also the evolution of the HD-2002 part, offering higher performance and more features overall.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

Again, it's a feature I've actually not looked too deep in until doing this LP, as I figured it was worth showing off for the purpose of this LP. Though now, I feel like possibly doing something with this mode that could be fun...perhaps a custom Arena with AC designs from everyone in the thread. This would be saved for the end so I would have plenty of time to mess around with AC designs and AI parameters.
:getin:

As long as you 100% both discs, that's what matters after all.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

All 9 foes are defeated, and we're now top rank in the Humanoid Legs category.

For that, we receive our prize, the LN-23, a new Humanoid Leg part. This is the sort of prize you can expect from each of the other leg categories, but let's take a look at some of the stats.

When you look at the general shape of the part, it appears to look like a heavyweight. The description though calls it a "lightweight model, but without sacrificing defense or load capacity." The weight stat is listed at 2300, which is over a hundred points less than the LN-D-8000R which we have equipped. With pretty good defense stats and more load capacity than what we have, this seems like a good part. For me however, what keeps me from switching to this for the main build is that it still has the same sort of speed that the heavyweight legs have. Our current max speed we get from the 8000R is 269 while the S3 is 106. Alas, the speed at which I am able to move around at even without boosters is preferable to my style. But, depending on if something tough comes along that we might need the extra load and reduced weight, it's worth holding onto.
The LN-S3 is a middleweight, that has attributes of a heavyweight. They're quite strong because of this, but you pay for the statistical advantage in mobility pretty harshly, especially if you make full use of the high load capacity and slap some heavy poo poo on them. I can highlight this by comparing to a set of legs that's been in since the vanilla game, the LN-SSVR, which the game touts as "lightest of the heavily-armored heavyweight legs".

LN-S3
Price: 75000
Weight: 2300
Energy Drain: 2050
Armor Point: 3426
Def_Shell: 752
Def_Energy: 680
Max Weight: 5630
Speed: 106
Stability: 1480

LN-SSVR

Price: 32400
Weight: 2750
Energy Drain: 2013
Armor Point: 3606
Def_Shell: 789
Def_Energy: 532
Max Weight: 5400
Speed: 148
Stability: 2150

Just look at those numbers. While the S3 outclasses the SSVR (an actual heavyweight set) overall, it comes at a high-cost of mobility. Allthough they're pretty light, the S3 is drat slow, and has a low stagger rating compared to a real heavyweight. In terms of actual performance (that is, gameplay using each set), the SSVR will perform substantially better mobility-wise with a similar load slapped on than the S3, and is far harder to stun. That said, a real heavyweight set will outclass the S3 in pretty much every way except for weight, booster-enhanced movement speed, and flight (which is certainly affected by the total weight of the AC)

And just for fun, lets also compare to what Arc is using right now, the LN-D-8000R :eng101:

Price: 49000
Weight: 2426
Energy Drain: 2350
Armor Point: 3532
Def_Shell: 510
Def_Energy: 656
Max Weight: 4770*
Speed: 269
Stability: 1200
* These legs received a buff to this statistic between PP and MoA, from 4720 to 4770. This seems like a small increase, but you can configure an AC in such a way to fully optimize, and use the fullest extent of your weight capacity in order to raise important numbers, or slap a weapon on that you feel you need. Many leg parts can be configured with just the right combination of parts and weapons in such a way that you're just a few tens, or even as small as single-digit differences between load capacity and the weight you're putting on, but the parts you're just barely unable to use substantially improve the AC's performance. So that was basically just a lot of words saying that this change is actually pretty significant!

I actually didn't expect this myself when I looked up the actual stats for these legs, but the S3 outclasses these in literally every way except for mobility. Lighter, less drainy, and even higher overall defenses. A 100AP-deficit is not equivalent to a difference of over 200 solid shell defense, and the S3 even out-does this part's specialty -- that being the enhanced energy defenses, and achieves less-drain at the same time. I'd say the 8000R definitely wins in appearance, though, since they actually look like middleweight legs with enhanced energy shielding. The S3 are fat

So, if you needed a heavier middleweight for some reason, the S3 are definitely a great part if you're capable of working around the poor mobility. One of the better rewards, honestly.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 11, 2015

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

EX Part 2: Reverse Joint Legs

Pellen is a multi missile user, and fires them all off whenever he gets the chance early on. Getting hit by these in succession hurts like a truck and can get you killed fast (how my first attempts recording this ended). But once you've dodged them all, or enough that it's sufficient, all he's got left is his handgun. Except trying to shoot a target that doesn't let off the boosters makes for very difficult aiming. I probably would've ran out of ammo in that fight sooner or later had he not kept boosting into the wall, giving me a chance to douse him in plasma.

Bloom, on the other hand, has no issue flying around all over the place, which is why I ended up fighting him in the garage to counteract that. The guy also is a multi missile user, so despite having a more flashy style than Pest according to his description, he is way more dangerous to fight in an open environment by comparison. Just sticking close and making him waste his missiles is the important thing to focus on early in the fight, afterwards you're pretty much gold.
A minor correction; the part these two ACs are equipped with isn't a multi-missile, it is in fact the very same Dual Missile picked up way back in Retake Air Cleaner from the first game. It simultaneously launches 5 medium-sized missiles in a single lock-on, and they fire forwards in the shape of an obtuse 'V' (seen very clearly in the fight with Pellen). Due to it launching simultaneous missiles, anti-missile systems are unreliable, though they can usually eat one of them. Very dangerous weapon to see, and it can easily tear any type of AC to shreds because medium missiles are quite strong, but the unit also has low ammo.

quote:

Another EX Arena ladder completed

And with it comes a new AC part. Naturally, this being the Reverse Joint category, the part in question is a pair of Reverse Joint Legs.

The LB-H230 is basically the closest thing to a heavyweight reverse joint legs part. The first thing that's noticeable is the increased weight capacity at 5124 points, however with this comes increased overall weight. It's slightly slower than other legs in the category, though the thing to worry about with this leg part is that it has the lowest amount of Energy Defense among any of the legs parts. So unless you're going into a mission or AC battle where you only need to worry about shell damage, you might be losing a bit more AP than normal. The leg itself is still pretty unique in that it's heavier and carries more than other reverse joint legs, but it still maintains the benefits that these types of legs hold over the regular humanoid legs.
These are an amazing part! They're far too heavy for a lightweight AC, but for middleweight RJ ACs, these work to solve every problem you'd have. They're effectively a straight upgrade to the LB-4401. The two legs will handle similarly, and though H230 is a substantially heavier and drainier, it makes up for that with improvements in all key areas. The biggest boon is the addition of over 600 load capacity, allowing you fit many more parts without too much loss in performance.

Furthermore, I need to correct myself. Reverse-Jointed legs are more stable than average, and are typically more stable than all but heavyweights. I spoke otherwise in that big post, and...well, hey, I hosed up :v:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Still not as bad as playing Formula Front and the PSP ports of the 3-series. :colbert:

Aaaaugh. God, the PSP has such a garbage control setup to begin with, and then trying to squeeze an Armored Core game on to it, just Jesus.
That's actually why I haven't put Armored Core on my Vita yet. I don't think I could handle a touchpad for those buttons and it would likely make me want to throw the thing across the room.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Does the player's Armored Core mech have a different description on the leg-part-restricted arenas when viewed in Read Only mode that reflects the fact that the player's ineligible to compete until they change the part appropriately?
The leg-specific arenas are separate from the main-game. Your standing there has nothing to do with these.
e: sorry, misread from being in a hurry. as far as i know, there's no difference in the flavor text

Glazius posted:

I imagine Four Legs lets you load more weight on, or maneuver faster? What's the benefit over two legs/reverse joints?
In short, they have higher mobility, firing stability, and are mobile with cannons while on the ground. They make good missile platforms, long-range specialists, or hit-and-run style ACs by making use of their innate speed and can outrun many ACs without engaging boosters, saving on energy, and relying on short hops to evade danger.

quote:

Now, if you were wondering why exactly it took over two months for me to put out the last update and this one...well, this is the reason. The Four Legs Arena category for whatever reason chose to be a royal pain in my loving rear end thanks to a few rough battles. How rough exactly? To the point that even when I had a strategy that was efficient as possible, it was still not a sure fire win.
Glad to see it's forcing you to improve, but I do agree that the quad-leg arena is a royal pain. The Caterpillar arena is different, and arguably worse in a different way. Try out the energy slug gun you received in Project Phantasma (iirc it's WC-SPGUN). It would've demolished all your trouble spots in the quad arena, and if you can close distance + recognize close-range threats, it'll help you here as well.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 18, 2015

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

I have a huge soft spot for quads, but I have to disagree about the mobility. While quads do have a very high base ground speed, it's not as fast as what most bipeds can do when engaging boosters.
While the end-results always depend on the parts used, a moving quad can outpace a boosting biped somewhere around the heavier side of middleweights. Remember, your actual speed isn't based on just the legs, but also the total weight of the AC. The lightest combat-capable quad (that is, something you could actually use and has more than one weapon) is really fast. Easily fast enough to overtake boosting bipeds that lean towards the heavier end. The heaviest quad can still outrun the heaviest biped. To be totally fair, all bipeds can exceed quads if you slap the highest power boosters on them, but that speed won't be sustained for very long. On another note, quads will also move at full-speed when backpedaling. I probably shouldn't have said "many" in that summary, though, and the situations where it becomes relevant are rare.

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong - it's been a long time since I played the gen 1 AC games - but I'm pretty sure quads lack the ability to do a horizontal boost along the ground, and also can't jump while moving like bipeds can. Instead, if you hit jump/boost while moving, quads fire their boosters and rise into the air a bit but, crucially, don't get a sharp change in velocity from doing so. It feels like they are less effective at rapidly changing speed or direction, which is what's important when it comes to dodging fire and breaking your opponent's lock on you. This only gets worse if they get into the air above you, as your large footprint makes you easier to hit from above.
I'm going to quote a relevant snippet from the large text-chunk I made about quads some time ago in the thread:

quote:

...they cannot effectively perform a boost-dash themselves, as it'll cause them to go airborne instead. Yet this can still be advantageous, as long they don't stay airborne for long and stay near the ground, their momentum from standard movement carries with them to move even faster, until the momentum from standard movement bleeds off...
I actually have to correct myself here again, since I recently booted up the game for the first time in a long while. There is a definite increase in movement speed once they engage booster thrust, and it doesn't "bleed off" -- it stays consistent for as long as boosters are active. Course, you still want to stay low, but you can very quickly change location, and easily move quickly enough to defeat FCS shot prediction. The increase is much more noticeable when moving laterally. It isn't like quick-boost in AC4/AC5, though, if that's what you thought I meant. Furthermore, no types of leg can perform a jump while moving, and all types but Caterpillars have a Jump Function. Jump button is the same as boost button; if pressed while moving, bipeds will start a boost-dash, and go airborne with a 2nd press. Quads and Caterpillar types will simply go airborne on the first.

You're not at all wrong when you say they have a harder time sharply changing speed and direction, because they do. But the thing is, they aren't meant to be able to do those things. Quads have an entirely different movement paradigm from bipeds, and this necessitates an alternate style of play where you utilize the momentum to stay fast & low, using those "hops" to both increase speed and dodge attacks. They can sort of compensate by re-engaging their boosters in a different direction upon landing (as long as you don't land hard, that is), but there's still a notable delay in doing so.

Also, I bought Fraps, but I'm pretty loving clueless when it comes to making videos. I tried it out by recording a game of Heroes of the Storm, but it ended up being a ridiculously unusable 25gb. So if there's any advice on how to make them smaller, I can maybe do some demonstrations of some of these things I talk about from time-to-time.

e: after reading some quality tutorials, i learned the basics of video. maybe i can do something sometime!

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 23, 2015

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I wanted to wait until after the next update to post this, but, I'm riding a high after a series of several successful video recording tests. So for the next plunge into the deep end, I'm planning to run a stream of all three of these games in order* over the upcoming weekend** (August 28~30) if all goes well. The plan is for live commentary***, take suggestions on builds (within reason, and with option of override for particular missions) from chat/viewers, 100% all three games, achieve Rank 1 in all arenas, and do so without going Human Plus. I plan to finish before the end of the weekend, but would continue for as long as it takes to complete them all. I'm still working out a few kinks with it, I'm still very new to being able to show the internet moving pictures having a good enough PC to get into it. Early tests are promising.

*There may also be some surprises along the way
**Schedule subject to change based on a good time for me to dedicate large blocks of time to play videogames for the internet
***Commentary may be boring/dead/unnecessary/anything that can go wrong, will

It's still in the planning phase, so it could be postponed this until after the LP is over if ArclightBorealis wills it. Might be better timing that way. Just thought I'd share this a little while in advance.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

I think postponing it until after I show the final boss and first credit sequence would be smart, which will be a few main parts from now and I want to give that moment some special attention when the time comes. All the post game content is gonna take me a while to get through anyway, so doing the streaming thing after that would be a good time.

Next part coming up later today. Finally got those technical issues sorted out.
Sounds good. I just ran another test-stream and I'm dropping frames everywhere, did much worse than yesterday's test.

Time to upgrade my internet! :v:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

Anyway, recording of the fourth EX Arena part went way, WAY smoother than the last one did, so you can expect that update to go up in the next few days. Doing my best to push myself to grand finale in a timely manner.
Take your time, you're doing fine as it is. Quality of updates is better than quantity of updates, always. :)

While I know a lot about Armored Core, I'm significantly better at the mechanics behind choosing the right parts and how to use them effectively than I am at the overarching "canon" of the universe, but according to unreliable sources, there's a definitive link between 1st and 2nd generation Armored Core. I only know what I heard, something to the extent that Leos Kline is the pilot you are apparently controlling in Master of Arena. Or something. I don't really know how true any of it is. But, because the plot is so mired in mystery, I've come up with my own explanation that made perfect sense in my head. I literally cannot see these games "working" from a storytelling angle any other way than this.

The entire first generation is a single story told completely out of order. The story starts when you become a Raven, and you do some missions, but before making any real progress, the start of Master of Arena happens, setting up your motivations for becoming a Raven in the first place. You do a little here, but before you get a sponsorship from Progtech, you bounce back to the first game and do many more missions. Something you'll notice is that both mega-corporations still exist during MoA, so, somewhere in the middle of the Chrome/Murakumo conflict, you end up bouncing back to MoA missions, get your sponsor, and go for a little longer. But then, you get contacted directly by Sumika and accept her contract, as you're a mercenary first, and likely don't realize you're doing any wrong. So pretty much all of Project Phantasma happens in a big chunk, likely putting a wrench in a certain someone's plans unknowingly. Since you're sponsored now, you also decide to start making a name for yourself in the Arena, improving your skill and building a reputation with other Ravens. A few more MoA missions here, and you accept a contract directly from Progtech, for which Lana Nielsen gives you a strongly-worded warning not to accept missions directly, since doing so basically caused all of PP, and you'd just done so again with Progtech. So you go back to Nest-sponsored missions, continue through the Chrome/Murakumo conflict, kill Struggle, Imminent Storm, both corporations, and finally mopping up their remnants when Progtech offers another contracted mission. This leads to the Nest cutting off your support, and leads Elan Cubis to look into the matter more deeply...which brings us to now. As far as this delusion is considered, you haven't yet killed Hustler One (twice) or destroyed the AI core controlling the Ravens' Nest. But it is no secret that events are coming to a head. The rest is spoilers, and it paves the way for Armored Core 2 to happen.

Thinking about it like this makes me think From Software was working on one massive game, but either due to technical, financial, or developmental constraints, they couldn't slap it all into one game, so they split the remaining content into two "expansions".

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 26, 2015

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

terrenblade posted:

That's no AC, that's a -ing Next!
Nah, a Next is much larger. But Seraph could would give even an experienced Next pilot a run for their money.

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Well, now I know why Nineball is held in such high regard/utter terror by AC fans. That thing is certainly a monster. Now I'm curious to look up to see how the other "legendary" AC (albeit from much later in the series), the White Glint, holds up in comparison.
It doesn't. Compared to Nine-Ball, White Glint isn't anything special. Good pilot with a well-balanced machine is all that "legend" is about.

i was going to do a run down of the weaponry on the table in that final fight, but OP did a much better job at that than i would've

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

It's a good thing I had to postpone streaming all three PSX Armored Core games, because I tried to stream something a little more demanding and learned that my connection seems to have some trouble with maintaining a consistent upload speed. Time to talk to my ISP :v:

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't believe I didn't pick up on the weird symmetry of the final cinematic. Here's the track in question that plays over AC1's opening and MoA's ending, for reference. At the start of the first Armored Core, it played over the hero AC being assembled for the first time, here at the end of MoA, it plays over Nine-Ball falling apart limb by limb. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it's kind of interesting to see that the PS1 trilogy goes out in more or less the reverse of how it came in.
From always had a knack for nailing the subtle details. It's even present in King's Field.

ArclightBorealis posted:

Everything else people have said regarding White Glint across the AC4/V continuity pretty much covers everything else, though I will add a personal note regarding the appearance factoring into its status by saying Shoji Kawamori designed its 4A iteration and really shows just how loving lame the AC4 part design is in comparison. But that's just me.
Something in the design seems to have changed between Nexus and Armored Core 4 and on. Earlier games had plenty of parts had some similarities, partly through prototype parts, revisions, and upgraded forms, but parts meant to be different within the same weight class tended to have a more striking appearance. Maybe it's just my relative inexperience with all the parts of AC4 (take your dozen specialist manufacturers and shove 'em) and 5 (stupid loving team-point unlock system FROM why would you do this) but I do feel like this phenomenon is especially bad there, all the parts look needlessly fat, cobbled-together, and same-y. While I get that this "kludged together" thing is part of the idea considering the setting, it's to the point where you can't take a glance and instantly tell what weight class an AC is anymore without prior knowledge or scan mode. Hell, I've even bought the wrong type of legs more than once, buying reverse-joint instead of regular bipeds because the size of the things hid the tell-tale joint section of the legs.

Still, can't help but wonder what the next generation will bring.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Not going to lie, this is an attempt to make people remember that this still exists (and that Arc hasn't quite finished it yet!)

My initial streaming tests showed that I was unable to provide quality due to a poor upload speed. This has been fixed. Recent streams are acceptable in terms of visual and auditory quality. My commentary is pretty awful, but hey :v:. I'm about..1/3rd of the way through the first game as of right now. I have everything I need available to bend these games over my knee. So, while I'm reluctant to share the link since I haven't received a true "go ahead" from Arc, I do so in the name of ARMORED CORE in hopes that it gets a little more exposure in the coming months.

This will run for the rest of the week, approximately between the times of 4pm~11pm EST. Occasionally there will be surprises.
Tune in at your leisure here.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

My, it's been a while, hasn't it?

I'd say "keep going for that 100%!", but I can understand the reasons for not doing all the remaining arena fights. There's still a few interesting parts left to obtain from clearing them, but it's a case of having nothing left to use them on. Being rusty is one thing, but some of the last fights get pretty brutal, and you're up against overpowered builds, weaker loadouts with tweaked AI to make them much more dangerous, or just boring.

For those craving more, I haven't yet actually finished streaming. Far from it, actually, because I am good at maintaining a schedule :downs:. Not sure when I'll do more of that, too many games to play, and Fallout 4 is murdering my free time. Currently, my file sits in post-game before Project Phantasma.

It's been a great LP, so I'll wait and see what the high-note is for the bonus vid.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Hmmm...

I'll give you a taste of what it'd be like to have an AC battle with me. I was going to spit out designs for each type of leg, but then I realized my current save file doesn't actually have everything unlocked! Meaning I can't build some of them myself, and I don't have numbers of each thing memorized.
code:
Pilot: Humanoid
AC Name:  SaturnΩ (e: Ω is supposed to be the symbol for Omega.)

Head	HD-D-9066
Core	XCL-01
Arms	AN-25
Legs	LN-1001-PX-0
Generator	GBG-XR
FCS		FBMB-18X
Boosters	B-T001
Back Weapon Left	WR-L24
Back Weapon Right	RXA-77
Arm Weapon Left		LS-99-MOONLIGHT
Arm Weapon Right	WG-XP2000

EP: 5328 / 8207
LEGS WP: 4029 / 4100
CORE WP: 1454 / 2450

AP: 8126
WEIGHT:	 5921

Optional Parts:
SP-JAM
SP-ABS
SP-SAP
SP-CND-K
SP-S/SCR
SP-E/SCR
SP-EH
SP-E+
2 slots available

AI Performance
Rebel Point: <|---------------> (0)
Shoot Freq: <------|---------> (Less-than default)
Blade Freq: <---------------|> (100%)
Lock Freq: <------------|---> (High)
Avoid Freq: <------------|---> (High)
Fly Freq: <-------|--------> (Default)
Range: <---|------------> (Close-Mid Range)

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I'm surprised how poorly the design I threw out did. But hey, it's just an AI, and the AI isn't very good. Charging face-first for any reason is a poor battle plan...something I saw it doing entirely too much. I saw many missed opportunities for that AC to deal some serious damage, especially when connecting with rockets. The design you're using is also somewhat energy-resistant, so that greatly reduced the effectiveness of plinking away with the pulse gun. Even with all those meters tailored-up to be as difficult as possible for the AC design used, it'll still never adapt to changing conditions, and will never adopt strategies it isn't programmed to perform, making for a simple, but dangerous opponent that rigidly adheres to a strict battle-plan. Would've enjoyed seeing more designs in play.

Great series, I enjoyed watching through them, and I enjoyed the opportunity to talk about this generation of AC in detail. I'm nowhere near as educated on the later games, but I'll likely follow those as well when they come around.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The question is, am I really willing to go whole hog and get top ranker on all of them, and what will trying it do to my lifespan?
As much as I love inflicting suffering on LPers, do what you think is necessary. Or, when you decide to go live, just wing it and see how things turn up to make a decision how far you're going.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've been doing various runs and 'routing' (if you can call it that) for AC2, and my main goal for the PS2 series is to run it without relying on any of the super powerful staples, and to switch things up regularly. Just playing with hilariously powerful stuff like the 1000 shot machinegun and KARASAWA gets old, so spicing things up with things I'm unfamiliar with would be fun.

The thing is, the early games have some pretty garbo weapon variety, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't go one level of PLUS deep to make use of shoulder weapons to add some variety. Come Silent Line and Nexus, that problem will go away real fast, but dealing with the super loving boring parts of Another Age would be boring for folks to watch.
Similar to what I'd already said above, just have fun with it. Use whatever you want to use, because more Armored Core is never bad.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 3, 2016

• Locked thread