Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I have a dog I got from a respectable breeder from what I've researched. I've changed food, excersize, vet supplements, etc. he still eats his own poo poo. Like fresh, two week old, frozen (my kids call them Poopsicles), doesn't matter. But when I light him up on a 4 on the TriTronics, he's done with that "poo poo" straight away. Am I a bad owner, or is my lab a retard? He's 6 now, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

I'm assuming this is a joke question. If serious, sounds like you need to ingrain in him the "leave it" command. I know some dogs go crazy for poop, so I'm referring to being able to drop a freshly cooked steak on the floor and be able to tell him "leave it" and he will. Tons of training and dedication but makes more sense to me. May need the help of professional trainer if you need it. *shrugs* I'm more of a cat person, so take it with a grain of salt.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Zap that turd eating piece of poo poo, no one wants to be friends with a turd eater, no one takes a turd eater seriously. Turd eaters go nowhere in life.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Poopsicles! :golfclap:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

She's 10. Her term. 😃

I get a lot hairy eye balls from neighbors when they see Darth with a collar, but I don't know. It works, and he's only yelped twice (when the kids had the controller).

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

If his fur isn't smoldering you're not providing enough negative reinforcement bro

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Are shock collars really seen as a great crime now?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
tater is famous for eating his own poo poo and the poo poo of dogs at the dog park and there is nothing that can be done about it sorry

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Are shock collars really seen as a great crime now?

It's less a crime and more hilarious because unless you have a real special rare case there is no way in hell you need a shock collar for anything.

OP is probably one of those rare cases though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Normally eating poo poo is its own punishment so if you're doing that normal modes of discipline probably don't work on you

If you're not having any success with the shocks, OP, have you considered that maybe your dog is into that kind of thing?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My aunt used one on a Basset that was amazingly stubborn. It was perfectly well trained with everything else but it'd grab stuff off counter-tops no matter the punishment.

Some dogs are just dicks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tayter Swift posted:

tater is famous for eating his own poo poo and the poo poo of dogs at the dog park and there is nothing that can be done about it sorry

It's just recycling

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I keep saying I'm gonna get an ecollar to hasten my lgd's understanding of "dont gently caress with chickens" but i havent because i get overwhelmed by all the options when i start researching them

Theres my story

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My friend got a bark collar because her adopted 8 year old hound wouldn't stop barking/howling when she was gone. Dog doesn't bark/howl anymore when she's gone and is collar free. Prevented her from getting evicted/giving up the hound.

There's my friend's story.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
My dog doesn't eat poo poo except for one specific dog's poo poo. I've never met the dog, but it just leaves big sloppy diarrhea turds and my dog is convinced it's food, I think the pooping dog has some kind of digestive problem so it's poop is only partially digested. Also it's owner is the kind of person that lets their dog leave big diarrhea turds everywhere on people's lawns but that's another issue.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
My dog kept escaping so I surrounded her in a sphere of electrified wire. She hated it at first, but now is able to hover in the middle not getting shocked.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Darth123123 posted:

So I have a dog I got from a respectable breeder from what I've researched. I've changed food, excersize, vet supplements, etc. he still eats his own poo poo. Like fresh, two week old, frozen (my kids call them Poopsicles), doesn't matter. But when I light him up on a 4 on the TriTronics, he's done with that "poo poo" straight away. Am I a bad owner, or is my lab a retard? He's 6 now, if that helps.

He's eating poop (his and/or others) because he knows he needs the digestive enzymes. Go get him some green tripe and I guarantee he will stop eating poop.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

feld posted:

He's eating poop (his and/or others) because he knows he needs the digestive enzymes. Go get him some green tripe and I guarantee he will stop eating poop.

Nah man some dogs just like poop

I mean maybe, but I know some pretty spergily fed dogs (mine included) who def get poo poo like tripe all the time and one of mine is just a disgusting poo poo eater anyway

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wtf is tripe? And will I throw up handling it? Is it like poo poo? If so, he'll eat that up.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Superconsndar posted:

I mean maybe, but I know some pretty spergily fed dogs (mine included) who def get poo poo like tripe all the time and one of mine is just a disgusting poo poo eater anyway

That may have been a learned behavior then because he's never known another source. Wilds dogs do sometimes consume feces of other animals, but again -- it's not because they like poop; they can smell the nutrients, minerals, etc and they know what they like and what they need. There's an insane amount of nutrients that are not absorbed and excreted by dogs that eat dry/processed kibble. If your dog came across another dog who was on a raw/BARF diet they wouldn't eat the poop... because there's nothing in it but bone.

Darth123123 posted:

Wtf is tripe? And will I throw up handling it? Is it like poo poo? If so, he'll eat that up.

It's the stomachs of ruminating animals and the full contents of whatever they were grazing on, their digestive enzymes, etc. It's a bit pungent, but not terrible. And the moment your dog smells it he will flip out :)

edit: wording

feld fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 23, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Superconsndar posted:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

feld posted:

That may have been a learned behavior then because he's never known another source. Wilds dogs do sometimes consume feces of other animals, but again -- it's not because they like poop; they can smell the nutrients, minerals, etc and they know what they like and what they need. There's an insane amount of nutrients that are not absorbed and excreted by dogs that eat dry/processed kibble. If your dog came across another dog who was on a raw/BARF diet they wouldn't eat the poop... because there's nothing in it but bone.

Like seriously no lmao

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

quote:

The most common reason cited for dog coprophagia is nutritional deficiency. The lack of iron, or other minerals or vitamins lead the list. But there are no studies to confirm nutritional deficiencies as a cause for coprophagia.

Hunger or near starvation is also suggested as a reason for coprophagia. This view is enhanced by the observation of emaciated wild dogs and canids eating feces. Again, there are no studies to substantiate that hungry dogs are more likely to eat feces than well fed dogs.

Others suggest that like the animals that eat feces for specific nutritional needs, as mentioned above, healthy dogs benefit in the same way. One could argue that they are replenishing their “good gut bacteria” this way. If this were true, then all or most dogs would eat feces. In fact poop eaters are in the minority in veterinary practice. Although fresh feces might contain food residue and beneficial bacteria, old, dried out feces lacks these benefits.

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/ktudor/2013/dec/why-do-dogs-eat-poop-31118

more u know

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I am I the first pooper eater here? Can I get some substantiation of SA post por favor?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Do they make shock collars for cats?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I am not a dog owner myself, but I have a stupid question for when my inevitable dog owning happens: how the gently caress DO you clean runny poops on a walk? standard bag method isn't going to work so much as smear poo poo everywhere, presumably you don't have a handy hose? I know how to deal with runny poops at home and in the shelter, but this hasn't happened to me on a walk yet.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
carry sawdust

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is that serious or a joke?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Serious. Turns a liquid poo poo into something you can pick up. Not perfect, but enough to show that you tried.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Bring a 2 liter bottle filled with water and hose it down. It sucks but it's better than leaving a huge poo poo puddle for everyone to step in

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i have a good solution, OP

pick up your dogs poo poo or at least hose it into the grass

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eonwe posted:

i have a good solution, OP

pick up your dogs poo poo or at least hose it into the grass

Works in the summer. Not so well with 2 feet of snow on the ground.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Triangulum posted:

Bring a 2 liter bottle filled with water and hose it down. It sucks but it's better than leaving a huge poo poo puddle for everyone to step in

This. You scrape as much as you can off with the bag and then water the rest down. In snow, just pickup the chunk of snow it was on. I've had to do this before when my dogs' have had diarrhea. You might have to return to the scene of the crime if you weren't expecting it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

feld posted:

Dude when's the last time you rolled outta bed and had a massive craving for cod liver oil cuz you were short on vitamin A

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Darth123123 posted:

Works in the summer. Not so well with 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Snow with a thick crust? You are hosed. You will have to leave your shame laying on the snow for all to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Bring a cordless hairdryer for portable snow melting.

• Locked thread