Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I don't beczuse I think art needs to come from a single vision. Books and music are art. Books for obvious reasons, music because even if the creative process is group-led, the tone and final day of the composition will be under the control of one person, and painting etc. like book, needs no further discussion.

however, films, ee specially big ones, rely on the interpretation of the director, actors producer, editor and even the set and costume designers. It's too much to pull together under the vision of one person and so films for me stop at the extreme end of 'craft'. They are not art.

Imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youre wife
Dec 25, 2014

by Ralp
But what about the profound symbology of the superman franchise op?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
So you're saying a collaborative effort to make a single product could never be art?

That's small faulty logic there. I think that's what makes movies so great. It's the work of over 100 people to make a product that just entertains for 2 hours- and that's it. It's the kind of job that has no "right way" of doing it. The same film could be made 100s of different ways, but through everyone's creativity the final product is what remains on screen.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

opus111 posted:

Lately I have realised that I've started to dislike pretty girls. I think it's unfair that they have easy lives which they get just by fluttering their eyelashes. It got worse yesterday when I saw a pretty girl fall over on the street. Her heels snapped and she fell over and I saw up her skirt. Her panties were white with yellow polka dots. She looked embarrassed when she got up and Last night I masturbated to the thought.

I consider this art

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who gives a poo poo, OP.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Unlike 'video games', OP, I do in fact consider films to be art. The compromise of many minds settling together on one vision that pleases all of them is exactly my definition of art. Furthermore,

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
art is the product of someones expression so everything is art really

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

CaptainHollywood posted:

So you're saying a collaborative effort to make a single product could never be art?

That's small faulty logic there. I think that's what makes movies so great. It's the work of over 100 people to make a product that just entertains for 2 hours- and that's it. It's the kind of job that has no "right way" of doing it. The same film could be made 100s of different ways, but through everyone's creativity the final product is what remains on screen.

And so its craft, not art. There's no one vision, a vital need to express something intimate and important to one person.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Slaapaav posted:

art is the product of someones expression so everything is art really

You could say that the belt buckle made for the Orc that is glad abohtnmeat being back on the menu is art, but the film itself isn't. Half the time they were shooting multiple scenes at once. How is the end product a. Expression of someone? SomePEOPLE, sure.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

op can a fart be art it looks similar so???

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The question "what is art" is art, and the inevitable ensuing debacle is also art.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

IMO there is no difference between art and craft, especially in something explicitly not functional, but movies are definitely more on the soft drink label design end of art than the painting/sculpture/videogame design/poetry end of things. Not because of how they're made, there's no reason art has to be a purely individual work and it usually isn't, but their intended purpose and social role.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Movies are mirrors.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
language is a virus from outer space
and seeing jurassic park is better than reading an SMG post

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Sinding Johansson posted:

I consider this art

:drat:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just the anime ones.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

By that definition, are community murals art? What about food?

Is sex art? Can sex be art?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
everything has a possibility to be art it just depends on how you react to it

if a bunch of people react to it at the same time then it becomes critically legitimate art which is just a dumb and probably classist demarcation

it doesn't matter if it's art or not, just how you respond to it, everything is nothing until it's seen

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Is the inevitability of Goku always defeating Superman in one-on-one combat art?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
i'm jerking off on my laptop right now someone put me in the moma

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
"hmm are these ancient cave paintings art?"
"unfortunately, we can never know because we don't know if they were done principally by one mind or in equal collaboration. they will forever remain potentially-art."
"how sad."

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
imo anything that is still under copyright and outside the public domain cannot be art. If something is art then it's importance to society outweighs it's value to an individual/corporation/etc.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

everything has a possibility to be art it just depends on how you react to it

if a bunch of people react to it at the same time then it becomes critically legitimate art which is just a dumb and probably classist demarcation

it doesn't matter if it's art or not, just how you respond to it, everything is nothing until it's seen

No wai, it's down to if the thing has been framed as expression by its creator. And with film there is no creator but creatorS

FOOD isn't art, it's craft. What is that meatball or hotdog saying about the human condition.
Sex is a craft too. You are expressing love when you lick tang but not In a way that can be viewed and discussed by people outside of its production.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

imo anything that is still under copyright and outside the public domain cannot be art. If something is art then it's importance to society outweighs it's value to an individual/corporation/etc.

I like this !!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

opus111 posted:

No wai, it's down to if the thing has been framed as expression by its creator.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yes, op

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Birth of a Nation: Art.

To Kill a Mockingbird: Not Art.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

the emergence of a new nation is.. one could say.. the ultimate perfomance art..

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

idk i think maybe?

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

opus111 posted:

Books and music are art. Books for obvious reasons, music because even if the creative process is group-led, the tone and final day of the composition will be under the control of one person, and painting etc. like book, needs no further discussion.

Books are collaborative with editors and the expression of music is highly variable by the musicians. Nothing is art.

Maybe paintings.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Paintings are collaborative with brushes, pigments, canvasses, light, and reality, so, not art.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Only the Criterion Collection plus those films that have won Academy Awards for Best Picture are truly art. The rest of it is prolefeed and thus unworthy of viewing by my delicate eyes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Anime is art but not documentaries, IMO. Could be swung either way on movies about hobbits, thoughts?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is so much wrong with your post, I am literally shaking with rage.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Paintings are collaborative with brushes, pigments, canvasses, light, and reality, so, not art.

I don't think you're discussing in good faith, pal.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

No, but VIDEOGAMES. ARE. ART. :negative:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Georges Seurat's painting Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte contains a kind of yellow paint that was originally vivid, bright yellow but has, over time, darkened to amber as a result of unforseen chemical issues, as the paint was very new at the time. When Seurat painted his afternoon, it was maybe a little past one, at most, but thanks to the shift in the yellows it now looks more like late four or even five, shifting towards sunset. Seurat collaborated with his paint and it did something he didn't specifically intend for it to do, as far as we know, so naturally th

youre wife
Dec 25, 2014

by Ralp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it's only Art if it was recorded after he split with Paul Simon

• Locked thread