Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

is it art after i've put it right up my butt but before i pull it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

what about R.L. Stine because i think he had a bunch of people writing those but putting his name up on there

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

what if other people made the urinal but im the one who turns it upside down?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

and what if its a guy doing the guitar but hes BLUE instead of regular? how the heck is that art? it doesn't even look that realistic

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

and then theres these nude ladies with african masks but you see all the sides of the mask at the same time i mean my kid could do that hows that art

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

and i get what youre saying because its so confusing that in blade runner ridley scott says han solos a robot but he says hes not

but then robert frost said that one poem about him dying was just about this time he stopped in the woods on a snowy evening and i dont get how that can be

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

and then theres these nude ladies with african masks but you see all the sides of the mask at the same time i mean my kid could do that hows that art

this is nothing to do with my post, you:re just dumping all your frustrations about the average STEM student/graduate's reaction to modern and post-modern art

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Jack Gladney posted:

what about R.L. Stine because i think he had a bunch of people writing those but putting his name up on there

Whoa now... let's not go too crazy here! Obviously R.L. Stine's works are art you fool

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
serious post, many studios give the director final cut, so a lot of movies really are the product of a singular vision, especially with writer/directors

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Serious question, OP: would you consider a student film that's written, directed, edited and starring only one person art?

EDIT:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
You cant escape Art no matter what you do. It cannot be bargained with. It cannot be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity. Or remorse. Or fear. And it will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be art.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

LesterGroans posted:

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be art.

I like this one. One dog goes one way and the other goes the other. And this guy's saying, "Whaddya want from me?" The guy's got a nice head of white hair. Beautiful. The dog it looks the same.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I unironically think video games are art and I don't even play them that often.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

I unironically think video games are art and I don't even play them that often.

I play them all the time and I think I've played like maybe a dozen games I'd consider art, most of those being kinda bad too

sometimes art sucks

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

LesterGroans posted:

Serious question, OP: would you consider a student film that's written, directed, edited and starring only one person art?

EDIT:

I thought not until you to 'starred', and now I say yes.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

cat doter posted:

serious post, many studios give the director final cut, so a lot of movies really are the product of a singular vision, especially with writer/directors

Not really, because the acting is so important. A good actor can transform a poorly written film, even a poorly-directed one.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

opus111 posted:

I don't beczuse I think art needs to come from a single vision.

Why do you think this, OP?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Only the Criterion Collection plus those films that have won Academy Awards for Best Picture are truly art. The rest of it is prolefeed and thus unworthy of viewing by my delicate eyes.

Is the criterion collection in the public domain?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Only Stan Brakhage films are art.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Shane Carruth is the only artist in the film world

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

opus111 posted:

Not really, because the acting is so important. A good actor can transform a poorly written film, even a poorly-directed one.

Isn't that like saying that a good editor can transform a poorly-written manuscript, though? Look at Lish's editing of Raymond Carver, for instance. What about the fact that authors almost never get any input on the covers of their books? Likewise, you say music is art when the vast majority of music is collaborative. Even outside of the other actual members of the band, you have mixers, producers, etc. You can keep following that rabbit hole but I don't see the point in such a reductive definition of art.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Illinois Smith posted:

I like this one. One dog goes one way and the other goes the other. And this guy's saying, "Whaddya want from me?" The guy's got a nice head of white hair. Beautiful. The dog it looks the same.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Hand Knit posted:

Why do you think this, OP?

dunno thats just how i feel from being involved in collaborate projects + doing my own things.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Isn't that like saying that a good editor can transform a poorly-written manuscript, though? Look at Lish's editing of Raymond Carver, for instance. What about the fact that authors almost never get any input on the covers of their books? Likewise, you say music is art when the vast majority of music is collaborative. Even outside of the other actual members of the band, you have mixers, producers, etc. You can keep following that rabbit hole but I don't see the point in such a reductive definition of art.

i think that regardless of the editing, the vision of the author will still be potent. whereas in film, maybe i notice the acting more or get hype from the sick set design or drool over some babe's tits rather than get drawn into the direction of it. in fact, this is far more likely to happen.

music ... i already covered. performing it is usually collaborative but composing it even as a band will always regquire a strong, wilful character who will steamroll over everybody else.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What are your feelings about typeface and paper stock? That motherfucker John Crichton lost me long before I knew what a piece he was because he set The Lost World in Electra and used that awful loving ragged edge paper for the hardcover.

If it was his publisher, I owe him an apology now.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Is the criterion collection in the public domain?

Sadly not because Hollywood wants to bury real art while pumping out schlock to make a buck. I know you asserted earlier that only animes in the public domain can be art, but the reality is that you only think this because you have been brainwashed by the system. If the Criterion Collection were in the public domain, the sheeple would finally be able to rise up and throw off the chains of intellectual bondage and Hollywood would be bankrupt within weeks. This is the Power of Real Film Art: to overthrow capitalism and put an end to world domination by the Zionist cabals.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

What are your feelings about typeface and paper stock? That motherfucker John Crichton lost me long before I knew what a piece he was because he set The Lost World in Electra and used that awful loving ragged edge paper for the hardcover.

If it was his publisher, I owe him an apology now.

none of that has any bearing on the writing. Black Tide is a work of art whtether you read it on a kindle, on paper or carved into the bark of a redwood tree.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Sadly not because Hollywood wants to bury real art while pumping out schlock to make a buck. I know you asserted earlier that only animes in the public domain can be art, but the reality is that you only think this because you have been brainwashed by the system. If the Criterion Collection were in the public domain, the sheeple would finally be able to rise up and throw off the chains of intellectual bondage and Hollywood would be bankrupt within weeks. This is the Power of Real Film Art: to overthrow capitalism and put an end to world domination by the Zionist cabals.

didnt lame-o dur-brain film get into the criteron collection, despite her being extremely bad?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

opus111 posted:

i think that regardless of the editing, the vision of the author will still be potent. whereas in film, maybe i notice the acting more or get hype from the sick set design or drool over some babe's tits rather than get drawn into the direction of it. in fact, this is far more likely to happen.

music ... i already covered. performing it is usually collaborative but composing it even as a band will always regquire a strong, wilful character who will steamroll over everybody else.

I specifically mentioned Carver because it is almost universally agreed amongst critics that Carver's writing was so much improved by Lish's editing that he likely wouldn't have ever been successful without it.

You are kind of just hand-waving way the argument w/r/t music, also. Are you in the music industry? Because that generalization really isn't true at all. Where do you draw the line? What about solo performers who sing words that someone else wrote? Or sing their own words over a beat / melody that someone else created? What about auto-tune and sound mixing radically changing how a song sounds, or producers who get hands-on with the music? How is a strong-willed bandleader any different that a strong-willed director?

The number of bands where a single person exercises the overwhelming majority of creative control over every aspect of the music being produced is extremely slim. 99% of music is just as collaborative as film, it's just on a smaller scale.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

~ if it provokes this question yes it must be ~

therefore all that stuff that everyone 'knows' that is art isn't art at all, it's just decorative wall hangings and soothing sounds

its like a <poem>

it /rhymes/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It only becomes art once you hit PAUSE.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Davros1 posted:

It only becomes art once you hit PAUSE.

most correct answer so far

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You're about ninety years behind on this debate, OP.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

If the debate is that old it's obviously time for a new one!

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
only paintings is art

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

But what effect will the mass reproduction of priceless works of art have? What of the day when every working man can have a Mona Lisa for his hovel? What is to be done?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think that films are art, but movies are not art. Flicks I could go either way on.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think that films are art, but movies are not art. Flicks I could go either way on.

what about 'the pictures' or 'flickery wickety movie wovies'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

opus111 posted:

dunno thats just how i feel from being involved in collaborate projects + doing my own things.

that seems really counter intuitive to me. i think i'm largely with you except for that part.

• Locked thread