Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shageletic posted:

Just want to say this blows chunks and I would have loved to see what he would have done at Louis CK's age. Being up on my podcast and just how amazingly funny and human this guy was (even in his Nerdist writer's ep, Wittels being so curious and pestering the drama writers on the panel with questions showed a curious and open mind) makes this probably the first time I've ever really felt on an emotionally level a celeb dying since I was a kid.

The last 'celebs' I can remember caring especially about were George Carlin and Rik Mayall, both of whom were pas their prime when it came to output - it was just sad that two people I admired had passed. Harris was the kind of guy who you wouldn't know unless you nerded out about comedy and his best days should've been ahead of him, which is why it's so tragic. Addiction loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Im real broken up about this

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Tapas the Mourning to Jah

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

oh.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I hate smoking sections. Unless we're talking about "The Mask" w/ Jim Carrey, in which case the "smoking" section is my favorite part!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
YES!!!!!

I had him in my friend's celebrity death pool. That's $200 for me. Thanks Harris! RIP

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

oh my

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
Harris in heaven

cams
Mar 28, 2003

wow

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Awwwww. This helped. Weird.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Reformed Pissboy posted:

That guy liked chemicals so much he was Walter White over here. :(

Yea I mean, he liked chemicals so much, he was Walter White basically.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
jesus gently caress thought the thread title was a joke

I really dont remember being this upset over a celebrity death before. I think because he wasnt super famous, it made everything he did more personal.

That episode of You Made it Weird was a real heart breaker but it seemed like their was a lot of hope for him. I actually listened to it for the first time maybe 2 weeks ago.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 20, 2015

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
God drat it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

What's this from?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Drunkboxer posted:

What's this from?

Harris died and then sent us a message to let us know he was having a cool time with Hitler.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Harris died and then sent us a message to let us know he was having a cool time with Hitler.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

gently caress.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
joe mande (@JoeMande) tweeted at 11:56am - 20 Feb 15:

Goddammit Harris the Westboro Baptist Church just called you a "fag enabler” and you’re not here to see it

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

https://twitter.com/ChelseaVPeretti/status/568826762806697984

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Drunkboxer posted:

joe mande (@JoeMande) tweeted at 11:56am - 20 Feb 15:

Goddammit Harris the Westboro Baptist Church just called you a "fag enabler” and you’re not here to see it

It's infuriating but also kind of hilarious

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
He was a slut.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Straight up the WBC may have five the best tribute to Haredog yet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I kinda can't think of a more fitting tribute than these loving lunatics thinking he's well known and important enough to call a fag enabler for a reaction.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I should have served god! Oops.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
That WBC image made me laugh out loud and I just know Harris would have found it so funny. I'm so so sad about this. Such a huge loss to the comedy world.

His joke writing was really masterful, and he seemed to be just as funny conversationally. There have been many times I've killed an hour reading his twitter timeline and laughing out loud.

The guy seemed funny to the core on a profound level. I feel like an rear end saying this because i've never met him, but I'm really going to miss him and it is such a huge loss to the world that we didn't get to see more work from him.

Rest in peace, Harris.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

No but really, was it someone doing an impression of him?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think it's him from an Eardrop episode.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I know this isn't THAT Tweet, but I still feel weird that I learned of Harris Wittels's death and saw his dick in the same day.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Harris wittels is dead yet somehow artie lange lives. What a weird world we live in.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Aziz posted some great stories and a remembrance: http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/111613105129

Says Harris was deep into a new project with Aziz and Alan Yang and had just found a place in NYC to move to in March.

loving hell

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Evil Agita posted:

Harris wittels is dead yet somehow artie lange lives. What a weird world we live in.

Artie rolled VERY, very high on his Constitution score.

I have a friend on facebook who isn't being very sympathetic to this, which annoys me. He's a good friend and he's really smart, but I don't think he understands how addiction actually, you know, WORKS.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Majorian posted:

I have a friend on facebook who isn't being very sympathetic to this, which annoys me. He's a good friend and he's really smart, but I don't think he understands how addiction actually, you know, WORKS.

The people who feel the need to make those arguments so consistently have had little contact with those issues in their lives that you kind of just have to roll your eyes and move on.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Unmerciful posted:

Aziz posted some great stories and a remembrance: http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/111613105129

Says Harris was deep into a new project with Aziz and Alan Yang and had just found a place in NYC to move to in March.

loving hell

Oh my god. Harris is still making me bust up with new material I haven't heard. Read this for the story of the pitch meeting and his sexual harassment email reply.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think it's him from an Eardrop episode.

Yeah, it was actually a recurring bit in Eardrop that Harris had died.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Thoogsby posted:

The people who feel the need to make those arguments so consistently have had little contact with those issues in their lives that you kind of just have to roll your eyes and move on.

Yeah, my wife's mom was a functional alcoholic, and it was almost certainly part of what ended up killing her.:( It's one of those things where I wish the disease aspect of addiction wasn't so hard for people to understand.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thoogsby posted:

Pretty much, I'm ashamed to say it took me being a loving junkie to get past that block in my own mind. It's just really easy for a lot of people to view addiction as 'just fuckin stop, idiot' and if they've never suffered from it, or never been around someone with it, there's nothing really challenging it beyond internet arguments and poo poo.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pretty much, I'm ashamed to say it took me being a loving junkie to get past that block in my own mind. It's just really easy for a lot of people to view addiction as 'just fuckin stop, idiot' and if they've never suffered from it, or never been around someone with it, there's nothing really challenging it beyond internet arguments and poo poo.

The part on Harris' You Made Weird were he talked about getting robbed 3 times in one day trying to buy heroin is hilarious and also a great way to define how addiction works to people. Its all consuming and stops being a choice.

LesterGroans posted:

Read this for the story of the pitch meeting

Holy gently caress this is amazing

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 21, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

"All dogs are adopted. Nobody shoots dogs out of their pussies. Unless you're Mrs. Broadus, Snoop's mom."

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

"I'm not getting married until gay people can get married. Because I'm gay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Unmerciful posted:

loving hell

i for one cannot wait for the RIP segment on Pontius Tonight

:(

• Locked thread