Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

NC-17 posted:

What's the backstory behind those photos?

Raider fans go hard in the paint dirt outfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
God qualcomm is such a dump.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
If you google San Diego Gulls, apparently a junior team (U20) adopted the name back in 2001 to play in the WSHL, and they now have to give up the name :(

Amazingly, the new AHL team is going to just use their logo.

edit: Wow, looking this up on Wikipedia, I have learned the ABA apparently still exists and there's a San Diego basketball team that plays in it. That must be depressing.

edit edit: Guys, it only costs 10,000 dollars to buy an ABA team, let's do this, "The Something Awful Forced Memes"

editx3: Can this just be the ABA thread now, hot poo poo:

quote:

Hughes, a former New York City rapper, secured a 10,000-seat arena for his ABA team, the Charlotte Krunk. He booked rap artist Mike Jones for postgame entertainment. He paid for jerseys, basketballs and $30,000 worth of TV commercials. When referees refused to be paid by check, Hughes paid them in cash.

But like many investors in the ABA, Hughes' experience ended in disaster.

He pumped $80,000 of his own money into the Charlotte Krunk last season to participate in a league some billed as a promising investment.

By December, the Krunk was $200,000 in the red and Hughes folded the team, as dozens of other ABA franchises -- crippled by dwindling bank accounts and inexperienced ownership -- crumbled around him. "Everyone was bleeding," Hughes said, "including us."

Since 2000, when the ABA resumed play, more than 50 teams have folded operations, including at least six teams in Southern California, leaving behind a steady trail of scorned owners.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 23, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

edit: Wow, looking this up on Wikipedia, I have learned the ABA apparently still exists and there's a San Diego basketball team that plays in it. That must be depressing.

edit edit: Guys, it only costs 10,000 dollars to buy an ABA team, let's do this, "The Something Awful Forced Memes"

editx3: Can this just be the ABA thread now, hot poo poo:
Yeah I read up about the new ABA a while ago when looking for a basktball, 2006-2009 seemed to be the particularly :psyduck: years:

quote:

2006–2007
See also: 2006–07 ABA season
The 2006–07 season saw the cost for a new expansion franchise raised to $20,000,[4] but many still sold for $5,000 - $10,000 and less, in some cases going as low as $1.[5][6] One notable 2006–07 expansion franchise was the Vermont Frost Heaves, owned by Sports Illustrated writer Alexander Wolff. Also in 2006-07, former NBA player John Salley was named league commissioner, and Maryland Nighthawks owner Tom Doyle was named chief operating officer.

[:words: about CEO and owners drama]

The 2006–07 season saw many franchises fail to travel to road games or play a full schedule. When a weather problem required a postponement of a playoff game between the defending champion Rochester Razorsharks and the Wilmington Sea Dawgs, instead of letting the two teams reschedule, the league wanted to force Rochester to forfeit. Rochester instead withdrew from the league.[10] This incident, coupled with the CEO v. COO intrigue, caused to some league owners to become frustrated with the instability of the league and separate to form the Premier Basketball League (PBL).

2007–2009
See also: 2007–08 ABA season and 2008–09 ABA season
The 2007–08 season saw nearly twenty teams fold within its first five weeks, and several remaining teams left the ABA to join other existing leagues. According to Our Sports Central, only around 35% of the games were actually played in the 2007–08 season. The teams that played the highest percentage of games were Vermont, the Manchester (NH) Millrats, and the Quebec Kebs. Those three teams would leave to join the PBL at the conclusion of the season.[11][12] Another team that only played home games was Beijing Aoshen Olympians. This team was kicked out of the Chinese Basketball League and played home games in Singapore. Beijing would pay $3000 and fly teams to Singapore for a 2-game homestand. Early teams complained on Our Sports Central that they were forced to stay in a hotel that doubled as a brothel. Joe Newman CEO forced Beijing to find a new hotel on hearing this news. Later teams stayed in a Holiday Inn.

[more :words: about CEO and owners drama]
Shorter/more entertaining version of everything, here's the CEO drama in particular:
http://american-basketball-association.wikia.com/wiki/American_Basketball_Association

quote:

To make things more unnerving, the ABA's Board of Directors, which included newly-elected COO Tom Doyle, attempted to fire Newman from his position as the league's CEO while amist the controversy. Newman denied this ever happening, and the matter went all the way to the courts. Newman not only kept his position as league CEO, but also fired the entire Board of Directors, including Doyle.

Doyle, when asked about the situation, replied,

"My idea of success and Newman's differ . . . I'd rather have fewer teams, that are stable and last, as opposed to having tonnes that continue to fold. It's not the amount of teams that a league has, it's the amount that finish."

Newman, when asked about the situation, responded,

"How stupid are they? I own the league and so I fired them."

japtor fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 24, 2015

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Give them the Steelers or Lions

lol what the steelers have, oh, i dunno, maybe the 2nd or 3rd most popular worldwide fanbase, have the most consecutive sellouts only behind green bay, a brand new stadium, and have never been in danger of being moved, like ever. lol give LA the steelers.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SA2K posted:

I think that might be the reason that the situation in Oakland is impossible. They can't build two stadiums at once.

how is this even possible? the steelers and pirates built new stadiums concurrently with 100,000 less people living in the city. it pissed people off, but PNC Park is the most beautiful baseball stadium in the country. Heinz Field is nothing special, but it was designed to be fast-track built in 18 months

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

TyrionBecomesASlave posted:

how is this even possible? the steelers and pirates built new stadiums concurrently with 100,000 less people living in the city. it pissed people off, but PNC Park is the most beautiful baseball stadium in the country. Heinz Field is nothing special, but it was designed to be fast-track built in 18 months

You can't build a tree house in California without years of red tape. Oakland in particular is insanely difficult

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lol what the steelers have, oh, i dunno, maybe the 2nd or 3rd most popular worldwide fanbase, have the most consecutive sellouts only behind green bay, a brand new stadium, and have never been in danger of being moved, like ever. lol give LA the steelers.

Yeah, after living here for a few years, I can confirm that moving the Steelers would be the quickest possible way to make an American city burn itself to the ground. Probably then they would just march northwest and wipe out Cleveland to make things even.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SA2K posted:

You can't build a tree house in California without years of red tape. Oakland in particular is insanely difficult

It took them like 10 years to decide whether to build a dog park.

It ended up failing.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

If the Browns can move any team can move. The Steelers just lucked out by having great owners like the Roony's rather than a shithead like Modell.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wait I can buy an ABA team for $5,000? If I get enough of you to volunteer to drive the team to games we can get this done. I will be the Mike Brown of the ABA. I wonder how bad my trophy girl will be. I wonder if butt fun lady is available or the job.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Do you need an arena lease or can you play ABA games at the local YMCA?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It looks like they play in all sorts of high school gyms. In Indy they play at Arsenal Technical High School. The coach is also the owner and the assistant coach is his son. I am not sure they are a ripe choice to purchase.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

San Diego County basically said on Tuesday they'd write the chargers a check for a billion dollars for a stadium

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SA2K posted:

San Diego County basically said on Tuesday they'd write the chargers a check for a billion dollars for a stadium

I'm sure that, in the end, they'll make money off this.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I guess now they're focusing more on the Qualcomm site in mission valley than the downtown site.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

I guess now they're focusing more on the Qualcomm site in mission valley than the downtown site.

Are they going to destroy Qualcomm? Because where the hell are the Chargers going to play in the meantime? USD...:lol:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

thompson posted:

Are they going to destroy Qualcomm? Because where the hell are the Chargers going to play in the meantime? USD...:lol:

They'd probably play at the Q while the other stadium is being built in the parking lot

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Chargers will stay, Kroenke will get his stadium, Raiders are hosed. It is known.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Volkerball posted:

Chargers will stay, Kroenke will get his stadium, Raiders are hosed. It is known.

Goal: Raiders and Chargers stay, massive useless Los Angeles stadium built, Rams stay in STL, LA loses. We all win

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
LA is cool and good and I'm sorry that you are so cold.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Goal: Raiders and Chargers stay, massive useless Los Angeles stadium built, Rams stay in STL, LA loses. We all win

plz this

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
:raise:

quote:

2. So who would move? This is all speculation, but I could see Oakland staying in the AFC West and San Diego moving to the NFC West to join a more geographically aligned division. It would be easy for the St. Louis Rams to move to the AFC West because it would mean the Rams and Chiefs would be able to form the kind of cross-state rivalry that could be excellent for both teams, and especially the occasionally attendance-strapped Rams. So that would leave Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis and the L.A. Raiders as the new AFC West; Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona and the L.A. Chargers would make up the more geographically smart NFC West. It really wouldn’t be a very difficult solve, assuming the Chargers, who have always been an AFL or AFC team (they played their first season, 1960, in Los Angeles), wouldn’t make too big of a stink about moving to the NFC.

Honestly I can't imagine the Chargers in the NFC although I have to admit watching Rivers take on Seattle and San Francisco would be a thing of beauty.

Bivens
Jun 23, 2003

die mensch·maschine
Mark Davis should swallow his pride and move in with the 49ers, it is literally the easiest path to a new stadium, there's already a locker room for the team, and it's something Roger Goodell would stumble over himself to approve.

Just ignore those red seats folks, we'll get those renovated out in due time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Red and black could be a good look for the raiders.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

SA2K posted:

gently caress Ron Roberts. That guy is so obviously angling for legacy projects at the expense of the voters. He should stick to wasting money on his gondola in the sky bullshit since it's less of a waste of money.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So AEG, who wants to build the stadium in downtown LA, commissioned a report about how the Inglewood stadium would be a likely site for a terrorist attack.

:psyduck:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Glumslinger posted:

So AEG, who wants to build the stadium in downtown LA, commissioned a report about how the Inglewood stadium would be a likely site for a terrorist attack.

There's nothing you can say that will make me dislike AEG any more than I already do, stop trying :colbert:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

The Glumslinger posted:

According to the FBI
"Terrorism is defined in the Code of Federal Regulations as “the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a civilian population thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives” (28 C.F.R)"

sounds like most Raiders/49ers games tbh

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Glumslinger posted:

On the flip side, AEG's stadium will never exist so it can't really be the target of any attacks...

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zurreco posted:

I would agree, except the Gulls are coming back soonish and they were the best sports team in San Diego bar none. Cheap seats, guaranteed fights, lots of promotional events like dog night and mullet night. Most locals don't even know about the Sockers.

Oh man the gulls. WCHL hockey was the best. It sucks now that it's the ECHL and players think they will move up, instead of being burnout ruffians. So many line/bench brawls in the 90s. The gulls were the goddamn worst, there were like two or three years in a row my Aces never won a game in San Diego.

It was all so wonderfully, literally bush league.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Combine the Chargers and Raiders into one franchise, then use the excess players to form the roster of the new London team.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Combine the Chargers and Raiders into one franchise, then use the excess players to form the roster of the new London team.

Hell is too good for you.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Combine the Chargers and Raiders into one franchise

Franz Kafka, is that you?!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

you son of a bitch

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Wouldn't it be easier and more straightforward to make Carr and Mack Chargers and send the rest of the Raiders over, I mean it would accomplish the same thing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Wouldn't it be easier and more straightforward to make Carr and Mack Chargers and send the rest of the Raiders over, I mean it would accomplish the same thing.

Are you implying that Carr is better than Rivers because lol

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

SA2K posted:

Are you implying that Carr is better than Rivers because lol

i think he was just saying carr and mack are the only quality football players on the raiders

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Metapod posted:

i think he was just saying carr and mack are the only quality football players on the raiders

This is the joke.

Teams carry more than one QB, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Franz Kafka, is that you?!

As Ross awoke one morning from troubled dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous obese man wearing spiked shoulder pads

• Locked thread