Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Yggdrassil posted:

So far, I'm having a great time here, though I do understand that the life level is incredibly lower than other European cities.

What's that supposed to mean? You think it's poo poo living here as compared to somewhere like Paris without ever actually experiencing living elsewhere in Europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Goldskull posted:

What's that supposed to mean? You think it's poo poo living here as compared to somewhere like Paris without ever actually experiencing living elsewhere in Europe?

Not on Paris, but my co-workers who come from Germany, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and even other parts of the UK say that London's life standard is really sub-par, mostly due to the high cost of living and the costs of rent & housing.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Yggdrassil posted:

Not on Paris, but my co-workers who come from Germany, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and even other parts of the UK say that London's life standard is really sub-par, mostly due to the high cost of living and the costs of rent & housing.

So pretty much what everyone that already lives in London told you in this thread before you came?

Yeah, it's possible to get a job and work you way into a multi-flatshare situation here in London, but if you had the choice then goddamn, choose ANY OTHER EUROPEAN CITY!

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

dpack_1 posted:

if you had the choice then goddamn, choose ANY OTHER EUROPEAN CITY!

I'm happy living here. I came here to do acting and that's what I'm doing.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

dpack_1 posted:

So pretty much what everyone that already lives in London told you in this thread before you came?

Yeah, it's possible to get a job and work you way into a multi-flatshare situation here in London, but if you had the choice then goddamn, choose ANY OTHER EUROPEAN CITY!

There are many good cultural and professional reasons to choose London. Doesn't mean there aren't some downsides.
British people are very strange in that they tend to love complaining about their own country but can get quite uppity when us foreigners do it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

sweek0 posted:

There are many good cultural and professional reasons to choose London. Doesn't mean there aren't some downsides.
British people are very strange in that they tend to love complaining about their own country but can get quite uppity when us foreigners do it.

That's a normal human trait as far as I know, and I've yet to go to a country that isn't like that. For countries, as people, it's usually totally OK to be self-deprecating, but somebody else saying the same things about you to your face can be perceived as pretty rude.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

sweek0 posted:

I think lots of English people understandably get annoyed when people conflate the entire country with London. Even the Londoners, since most of them weren't born there.

I love England, but mostly despise London.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Yggdrassil posted:

I'm happy living here. I came here to do acting and that's what I'm doing.

Then don't say it's poo poo then on what you've heard other people say, and that's why we see you on TV, in plays all the time and on the red carpet of your new film premiere. I like how you mention Norway too, where yes, it's a cool place but it's loving ridiculously expensive even compared to London. I know wages are adjusted for it, but not if you're endgame is 'work in a pub/call centre til I make it big in acting', which will never happen, as multiple people have pointed out to you.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Goldskull posted:

Then don't say it's poo poo then on what you've heard other people say, and that's why we see you on TV, in plays all the time and on the red carpet of your new film premiere. I like how you mention Norway too, where yes, it's a cool place but it's loving ridiculously expensive even compared to London. I know wages are adjusted for it, but not if you're endgame is 'work in a pub/call centre til I make it big in acting', which will never happen, as multiple people have pointed out to you.

No need to be prickly about it, the quality of life in London compared to many other major European cities is low. It is also a thriving hub of culture and business. If you moved to Oslo and got a job, you'd probably live in a nicer flat for less money and get a higher paying job with better conditions. But there's also nothing much happening in Oslo, and less people live there than Leeds.

http://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings.jsp

Website is pretty legit, and London QoL ranks below I think pretty much every single major European capital, and many other large European cities besides. Roughly on par with Buenos Aires and Hyderabad. This is mostly because the Income to Property price ratio is the worst in the entire world.

And on another note, all the naysayers were pretty much wrong every step of the way so far, so I don't see why you're continuing to make personal attacks on somebody else's dreams. Not very cool, and not your business.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Yggdrassil posted:

Basically, unless you have the potential to earn a lot, you don't move to London without a specific purpose (like acting) and you better go out and explore and enjoy the city's wonders -because that's where it truly shines!

Here to also have my dreams crushed by people, I've been considering doing exactly this. I've reached a kind of "oh poo poo what do I do" point in my life (quarter life crisis? is that what they call it?) and I've been vaguely thinking of moving to London for a few months on my savings and seeing if I can find a job to let me stay a bit longer. Not as a permanent thing, more as an experience thing before I go back to uni to study something that isn't an arts degree. Is this completely stupid?

On the practical side, what's a good website to find flats on and what are the best areas in london to flat in?
I'm from a tiny town in New Zealand and I'm currently living in Zurich so this whole huge city thing is pretty new to me.

To the people saying that quality of life in London sucks what would you consider the cities worth living in just for the experience? My main reasons for picking London are English-speaking country, pies, and I have some friends there. So it's not like it's set in stone yet.

Goddamn, I miss pies.

edit: Just looked at Jeza's list. So apparently I'm already in the top QoL city, ignore that.
Also holy poo poo, 4 Australian cities just in the top 11?? Maybe I should just give in and move there like 15% of New Zealand.

Laverna fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 26, 2015

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Laverna posted:

Here to also have my dreams crushed by people, I've been considering doing exactly this. I've reached a kind of "oh poo poo what do I do" point in my life (quarter life crisis? is that what they call it?) and I've been vaguely thinking of moving to London for a few months on my savings and seeing if I can find a job to let me stay a bit longer. Not as a permanent thing, more as an experience thing before I go back to uni to study something that isn't an arts degree. Is this completely stupid?

On the practical side, what's a good website to find flats on and what are the best areas in london to flat in?
I'm from a tiny town in New Zealand and I'm currently living in Zurich so this whole huge city thing is pretty new to me.

To the people saying that quality of life in London sucks what would you consider the cities worth living in just for the experience? My main reasons for picking London are English-speaking country, pies, and I have some friends there. So it's not like it's set in stone yet.

Goddamn, I miss pies.

edit: Just looked at Jeza's list. So apparently I'm already in the top QoL city, ignore that.
Also holy poo poo, 4 Australian cities just in the top 11?? Maybe I should just give in and move there like 15% of New Zealand.

I'm not sure it's worth relocating to London from the other side of the world just for a few months. It can take you that long just to get established, and it'd be hard to earn back the cost of your airfare. Give it at least a year.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPNnqgdAZSk

Also, also: You don't get pies in New Zealand? I feel like the country's membership in the Commonwealth may need to be reviewed.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm not sure it's worth relocating to London from the other side of the world just for a few months. It can take you that long just to get established, and it'd be hard to earn back the cost of your airfare. Give it at least a year.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPNnqgdAZSk

Also, also: You don't get pies in New Zealand? I feel like the country's membership in the Commonwealth may need to be reviewed.

Sorry, you might have missed the part where I'm from NZ but currently living in Zurich, Switzerland.

I love pies, we have pies back home in NZ but sadly continental European countries haven't discovered the joy that is a pie.

That's another reason why I kind of want to go to London now. While I'm already in Europe the flight would probably only cost me between 50 and 100 pounds, but if I ever wanted to go from New Zealand the flight would be such a huge part of the cost that I'd need to have a serious reason to make going there worth it.
(Basically making it a "now or never" kind of thing)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Laverna posted:

Sorry, you might have missed the part where I'm from NZ but currently living in Zurich, Switzerland.

I love pies, we have pies back home in NZ but sadly continental European countries haven't discovered the joy that is a pie.

That's another reason why I kind of want to go to London now. While I'm already in Europe the flight would probably only cost me between 50 and 100 pounds, but if I ever wanted to go from New Zealand the flight would be such a huge part of the cost that I'd need to have a serious reason to make going there worth it.

Oh, right.

Well go hog wild then!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Do you have EU citizenship and/or a Swiss residency visa? Because it's now impossible to apply for a British working holiday visa from outside your "country of residence."

If so and since you seem young I'd say yeah, gently caress it, go for it. Even if you end up broke and hating it at least you gave it a shot and you might regret not taking the opportunity later in life. And then as a Kiwi you can always just move to Melbourne or Sydney anyway. (I spent a year in London and since my career wasn't taking off I figured gently caress it, I'd go back to Melbourne where my quality of life was 1000% better.)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Laverna posted:

Have you considered Interrailing? Rather than spending time and hassle trying to live in London temporarily (a fool's errand without a job), you might as well hit lots of birds with one stone. If you're looking for an 'experience', most of the cool European countries are signed up to InterRail. If you have several months, you can just hostel to hostel it around a lot of places in EU that are worth it to visit.

Anywhere is probably more interesting than Zurich. You could hit up a route like off the top of my head: Zurich -> Milan -> Venice -> Munich -> Prague -> Berlin -> Amsterdam -> Paris -> London.

Some places worth a few days, some worth a week or two. If I was in your shoes and worried about "missing" seeing parts of Europe, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket by trying to rent a few months in London and getting a bad job to scrape by.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

^^ Basically this but don't go interailing. Its too expensive these days and has a LOT of restrictions on where/how the tickets can be used. It's cheaper and easier to simply book off peak times on the rails or take flights (which also allows longer hops). This is especially true for winter when the cost of travel and hostels drops through the floor most places that aren't winter sport related.

But hey if you do come to London let us know, always happy to go for a pint with a fellow Kiwi or show you around.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Saros posted:

^^ Basically this but don't go interailing. Its too expensive these days and has a LOT of restrictions on where/how the tickets can be used. It's cheaper and easier to simply book off peak times on the rails or take flights (which also allows longer hops). This is especially true for winter when the cost of travel and hostels drops through the floor most places that aren't winter sport related.

But hey if you do come to London let us know, always happy to go for a pint with a fellow Kiwi or show you around.

That would be awesome, I'll definitely let you know!

The interrail thing does sound cool but I feel like I've had my share of travelling around for now and I kind of want to try more of a flatting/living somewhere experience. I'm still trying to get an idea of where/what I like and in New Zealand it's pretty hard to tell.
Melbourne totally is my backup option when everything inevitably falls through though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Laverna posted:

Bristol.

You never answered whether you're allowed to work/stay in the EU, btw.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Kaiho posted:

Bristol.

You never answered whether you're allowed to work/stay in the EU, btw.

Oh, Swiss passport. So, I'm actually not sure. Last I checked I was free to live/work anywhere but the Swiss seem to be doing their best to gently caress over their relationship with the EU so I don't know if anything's changed on that.

And I never got a reply on where to find flatmates/flats. Are there any good sites people use?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Swiss passport is fine. I'd be more worried about Britain leaving the EU in the next few years than anything the Swiss might do.

For flatmates try flatmatefinders.co.uk and spareroom.co.uk. Gumtree is still the old standby but I find it flooded with agents and landlords compared to the much more useful Australian version. Be aware that if you're dealing directly with a landlord (rather than the other housemates) you're likely to be living in a sharehouse that was thrown together entirely at their financial whims, and when another housemate leaves they'll immediately replace them with whatever deadbeat psycho random applies first.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Also the kiwi's in london facebook page is really good for finding rooms in established flats.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Hey Yggdrasil, what kind of acting do you do? I work in film & TV production in London, perhaps our paths have crossed.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Hey Yggdrasil, what kind of acting do you do? I work in film & TV production in London, perhaps our paths have crossed.

I'm aiming towards screen acting, though I'm just starting. The school I'm in is more aimed towards that, and in a month I have a big showcase with some agents. Hoping I'll do great!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Are you still alive Argentinian buddy?

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Alive and thriving, indeed :)

About to move out of my room, even closer to work. Also auditioning, taking classes and having a blast with my actor workmates!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Yggdrassil posted:

They're wrong, they'er just not doing it properly.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Laverna posted:

If you equate quality of life with having masses of room, a huge TV, a garden and being able to fulfil a gadget buying obsession, London sucks. If you want to live in a city for the reasons that only a city can provide, its better than any other major city in Europe. Unless you're into sunshine.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I kind of agree. I think the trick about living here might just be to go out and take what the city offers. Home is mostly where you sleep -the real life is outside. These days I find myself going to the pub and playing board games with friends, staying until late in a cafe with a most amazing Belgium chocolate while writing fiction, and going to the theatre and to gigs whenever I can. These are things I could never do (in Argentina) with the frequency with which I am doing them here (going out was way more expensive in my home country than in here, with the exception of the theatre).

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

That's only because you don't make the pub any margin because you're not drinking the booze.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Kaiho posted:

That's only because you don't make the pub any margin because you're not drinking the booze.

Any margin? How about a net drain on their resources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

tentish klown posted:

Any margin? How about a net drain on their resources?

Pub is short for public house. Price of everything, value of nothing etc.

• Locked thread