Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The main advantage of taking the Shady Man's offer is so he can help you offload certain cargoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Log report: Shady man greets Zee captain Petra, arranges for offloading of cargo.
Crates begin to be brought ashore from the Unfinished.
One of the crates is heard to loudly spew a stream of unintelligible curses, punctuated with slurred "Mate"s.
Cargo was seized, and burned. Authorities have been notified.

Put a Blemmigan ashore
It's quivering

Put a Chav ashore
It's pissing on a lamppost

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 9, 2015

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Neruz posted:

The main advantage of taking the Shady Man's offer is so he can help you offload certain cargoes.

On the other hand, he's ended my game twice. :argh:

The second time I didn't even remember him having made a request.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Jounrnal entry 20 – Inexcusable company

From The Journal of Captain Petra Blackwood

April 15th, 1888

The trip back to London from the Mutton Islands was unspectacular. However, upon my return, I realized I had many things to do, and set about my business.

London is starting to look a lot busier than it once did!

Of course, my first destination was to stop by my home, and pay a visit to this child that's entered my life.

The introduction was surprisingly formal, in a way – but that's simply his way in most things. The child, though, wasn't as bad a creature as I was concerned with. Apparently he'd already been told I was a zee-captain, and like most youngsters, had more ideas about what it mean that came from penny-dreadfuls than Naval documents.

He had so many questions! There are many things, of course, I would not tell a child – or even another adult – that I've seen, but I wasn't about to tell him those. I told him a story of the Uttershroom as the night drew to a close. The nicer visit, and of the tamed Blemmigans, and how Thesaya accidentally hit it with her shovel while shoveling coal and it ran around the ship acting like it was dying.

Then he asked if he could meet Thesaya, and that meant it was time for bed. I have enough problems keeping the respect of the crew without them realizing I'm someone's stand-in mother.

This morning, I set about to finish my business in London. I had much to do.

My first stop was the Forgotten Quarter, with the Magician in tow. He would defeat his enemy, or be defeated; I courageously waited for him at the edge of the quarter.

However, when he returned, something was different. The man I knew was no longer present behind those eyes. He had failed.

I would, of course, make good on my promise to him, that I would not let a dream-snake roam our world in his body. But I never said how I would lay him low.

Even here, I am reluctant to note that I have experienced certain urges of late. Ones I have been unwilling to satisfy, for doing so would be ghastly. However, one thing is clear – The Urbane Magician is no longer a person. And so what I've done is not wrong.

We've had a really good run of luck so far, with Maybe's daughter and the whisper box, but it ended here. The Urbane Magician has good stats, but only one point higher than Maybe's Rival, and without the bonus engine power – He's a good replacement for her if Maybe's Daughter doesn't come back from the Wicket. But failing here means I cannot make the special engine the Magician can create for you if he captures his rival, and there's no way to ever get it. So, all the resources I spent on this whole quest line have been basically wasted.

The rest of my business would require me to enter London proper, and so I brought the Clay Men I'd fetched on my last trip in with me to their fate, whatever that may be.

My next stop was the Brass Embassy, but along the way, I was stopped by a woman who said she recognized me, and was a zailor. She introduced herself as Sarah-Marie, a frightfully modern name, but insisted I call her SM. She seemed much more like someone trying to sound like a zailor than an actual zailor; I may not yet be a salty tar, but I've spent enough time around them to peg them, and I would not have pegged this woman. Still, I'm not in much of a position to be choosy; I hired her on for a trifle and sent her to the Unfinished.

With that, I continued to the Embassy.

I submitted my own findings and the Deviless' letter, and the devil seemed very pleased. He said he'd pay the woman's fair; I told him fair was very expensive on my ship, but he seemed undeterred. I'll be happy when this affair is over, and I don't reckon the crew will like having a devil on board, even if she's well-mannered.

With that done, I went to visit the Admiral, to learn where next he'd need me to collect information from and file more port reports; my next collection wasn't going to be easy. I guess they're starting to trust me more, but the last thing I need is higher expectations.

With that done, it was getting late in the day; I had an event to attend. I'd received a personal invitation to talk to the Delightful Adventuress when I was at home. She's apparently in need of a zee-captain. Well, her echos will spend as well as anyone's, even if she leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

By the time I returned to the Unfinished, the upgrades and restock I had commissioned earlier in the day were complete. I'd paid for a larger engine to be installed in the Unfinished; the duration of these trips was starting to wear on the crew. A larger engine means more speed, which translates to shorter times spent away from London and fewer frayed nerves and people throwing themselves overboard strapped to our cookware.

With this done, we took back out to zee.

Entry omitted – A normal visit to Venderbight.

April 17th, 1888

The visit to Mount Palmerstone today was short. I left Grandalt in charge of dealing with the resupplying of the ship, and went up to speak to the Deviless.

She was even more ready to leave than I was, ahead of a group called the 'Invigilators'. I'd never heard the term before, but am glad I hopefully will never have too again. I cut short the visit the few folks who'd been brave enough to get off the boat had been enjoying and shepherded them right back aboard.

Sure enough, some among the crew objective to having the Deviless aboard. They didn't say it out loud, but I could see it in their eyes. If she noticed, she was too polite to say anything about it. In any case, she'll only be here until we return to London.

A normal visit to Frostfound omitted.

April 19th, 1888

As we zailed north-east from Frostfound, towards the Avid Horizon, we encountered one of the region's Lifeburgs.

The crew, without me even needing to ask, starting to prepare to cut the lights and avoid it – but I ordered them otherwise. I'm tired of running from these things. We have the largest gun on the Unterzee, it was time to pit it against a more worthy target. We fled backwards, shelling the beast as we went, and this worked well, for some time -

Until Lynneth, on lookout, spotted another one behind us. Fortunately, by then, the first one was nearly breaking apart – I ordered the engines to hard forward. Our first opponent shattered just as it slammed itself against our hull, and I had the crew grab what we could for study as we steamed past.

We managed, narrowly, to avoid a charge by the second lifeburg

And at that very moment, a thick fog rose off of the water.

Salt may have been looking out for us, as the zailors say. We were badly positioned to initiate a fight against the second creature, and so I had our light turned off and our crew simply steamed away, lost in the fog. I could not have asked for a more smooth escape. It felt... Suspiciously lucky. As if something wanted us to get reach the Horizon.

I can't help but feel something bad will be waiting for us there.

April 20th, 1888

Once more, we approached the vast stillness of Frostfound.

All seems still and undisturbed; finding where to lead the Navigator was a challenge in itself. But I'd heard rumors and stories of people who came here, seeking redemption; I knew where to find his accounts.

However, when he found them, he did not take it well. He howled and laughed as a man possessed; it took Jones and McClay both to lead him back to the ship, and even they couldn't pry the papers out of his hands without ripping them – which I was unwilling to do.

As we steamed away, however, he came to my quarters, having settled down a little. He wanted me to see what he'd done.

Having read his confession, I suspect he may have been being a little hard on himself. He did what a man must to survive, and his only failure was a simple mistake. All the same, he does not want kind words – He wants a resolution. I shall think on the matter. Like it or not, however, he is very useful to me, and I would love to keep him aboard. Perhaps I shall come up with a method of doing so if I think long and hard on it.

However, all the same, the entire ordeal did leave me a little depressed. I extended an invitation to the Deviless to join me for supper.

She drank enough to put a third of my crew under the table, and wind up passing out in her stew. It was not the most graceful meal I've had. All the same, I'm starting to suspect this may not end when I bring her back to the Embassy, but I hope she finds the peace she is seeking there. I don't think she was cut out for standing up to the rebellion, in whatever form it took.

April 22nd, 1888

On our approach to Port Cecil, we encountered a large Moray. It was no match for our cannons, and we made our landing undamaged.

I'm really only mentioning this because the eel is showing off an ability monsters have – They can submerge, as shown in the second screen shot. While submerged, they cannot charge us or be fired on – And when they rise, then have a tendency to suddenly spin around, face you, and charge. Fortunately, they also move slower, so keeping out of range is trivial, so long as you've room to manuver.

We docked and I made my way ashore. I collected the recent turns in the games, and decided to spend some time trying my hand at the game once more.

I don't recall exactly how long I spent playing. It didn't feel like very long. But soon the regular players stopped playing against me. It wasn't that I was better than them, I was sure – I felt it was more a sense that they knew I did not quite belong. That I knew too much about the Zee, and too little about deep strategies, and it was throwing off their careful little games.

But I discovered someone else interested in me.

Below Port Cecil, at the heart of the coral, is a cave. Within that cave dwells an entity, of some kind or another. I cannot say precisely what it is, but it seems to have something to do with the coral itself, the central mind from which the memories of scintillack come. Whatever it is, it is tired of being alive – or at least, of existing.

The 'Neath might be better off without an entity like this in it, so I said I would be glad to help it dissolve. It granted me someone to assist me in assisting it – A rubbery man unlike any I've ever seen, capable of speech and apparently a thrall of the coral-mind.

The crew did not take to him very well when we returned to the ship. I suppose I cannot entirely blame them; I do feel slightly like a circus-mistress now. A regretful deviless, a speaking rubbery-man, a lunatic who's losing his mind because of a sigil on his face – And that's to say nothing of my actual crew! But they are all helping me, in their ways. I made it clear he was not to be abused, and put in the order for us to leave port.

April 23rd, 1888

We've arrived at Khan's Heart once more. I will be trying to keep this visit brief. I have no desire to stay long enough to become of interest to the White-and-Golds. Before I went ashore, I had a few words with Maybe's rival, about some of the finer points of avoiding attention.

Keeping her tricks in mind, I entered the Copper Quarter; I spent a good time wandering before I visited the drop-box, and made my way to where I was supposed to meet my contact.

Fortunately, my contact was waiting for me. I can't help but feel like I was more lucky than skilled, but either way, I'll accept this happily. We departed swiftly afterwards.

Here omitted standard visits to Polythreme, Godsfall, and the Chelonate.

April 27th, 1888

Today, we arrived at the Empire of Hands. And the Darling Adventuress is finally leaving my ship.

This is good news for everyone. It's good for her, since she'll be closer to whatever it is she thinks she will find out here. It's good for me, because I'm due my fee. And it's excellent for the crew. She had, somehow, managed to become the most disliked person aboard – even more disliked than the literal devil who I currently have as a passenger.

If she wasn't complaining about Slaan's cooking, it was Kalan's bats or the route we were taking. And I think more than a few of my older crew members disliked having a clay man walking around the halls with her – bad memories, there.

Fortunately, she paid decently enough. And now she's no longer my problem. I decided to spend a little time here, in the Empire, all the same – there were folks I wanted to check in on.

I went to Hearthslake Village, in order to speak to the few humans I could find here. The Treasure Hunter was very glad to see me. I sat and spoke to him a while of the goings-on of London, and gave him a few two-week-old newspapers. He was so happy about it that he, in turn, handed me some of his 'excavation supplies'. I'm not sure what to do with them, but I'm certain they'll come in handy.

I have also had time to think on the Captain's offer, and decided, today, to take him up on it. He's gruff, certainly, and his men have table manners worse than my own, but he does set a good table.

With that done, I decided I should at least see what the Adventuress was up too. It seems she'd sold her soul to the Mayor for support for her archaeology. Which seems unwise, but I wasn't about to stop her.

Fountainhead Island was as densely-jungled as ever, with only a small path from the landing to the camp. The camp itself was marginally-controlled chaos; how the monkeys managed to build this edifice when most of them are barely ascended at all is staggering to me. Or maybe they just don't like listening to humans. While there, I opted to help myself to one of the early rewards of her excavation – As a bonus for preventing my crew from stabbing her in her sleep.

And I do mean early. She had not yet even breached the First Emperor's tomb. She had a lot of work to do – so I departed, for now.

I went, instead, to Sovereign island, where I finally had a way to be permitted entry.

I'm not entirely sure what I'd been expecting in this place, but it was not for the Court to be, decidedly, hands-down, one of the most vile places I'd set foot. The only place I can think of being more miserable is upon the Uttershroom on heavy sporefall days. The screeching and stink and chaos bores its way into your mind in a unique and terrible way.

I had been there scarcely a few minutes when I was called to the Emperor's presence. I suppose a human willing to break the embargo is a very rare thing, here, and worthy of his attention.

I was asked to assist with helping them construct their zeppelin. I said yes, of course – mostly because I did not want to say 'No' to the emperor in the middle of his court. I may or may not actually bring them what they need – Frankly, I cannot imagine their wild plan working. Perhaps I will at least investigate how much they plan to pay.

But, for now, I don't have the supplies to help them. I will need to do it on another visit.

But first, I'm going to need a nice, long bath.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Black Wombat posted:

even if she leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth

I rather feel that when one makes cannibalism a habit, they have a responsibility to excise that idiom from their speech patterns.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Tehan posted:

I rather feel that when one makes cannibalism a habit, they have a responsibility to excise that idiom from their speech patterns.

Its either that or Petra has taken up the fine and noble legacy of Sapphos while at Zee.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Tehan posted:

I'll remind you that Petra only involves herself in such business with great care and deliberation!

Or when I really need her Unaccountably Peckish quality at 3. I was very surprised when eating the magician didn't give it to me. But I guess I was more right than I knew - He really WASN'T human, in the end.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Does having the quality at 3 give any concrete gameplay advantage?

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Flesnolk posted:

Does having the quality at 3 give any concrete gameplay advantage?

There are two specific things it unlocks. One will happen next update. The other is at a port we haven't been to yet. Both are great.

And by 'Great', I mean 'Abominations before man and God but advantageous to a Zee-captain'.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tehan posted:

I wouldn't say it's a 'habit'. More of a peccadillo.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So are you likely to try to get the Magician back from the Fathomking?

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

The Sandman posted:

So are you likely to try to get the Magician back from the Fathomking?

Hahaha no. Have you seen how much that costs? Also, You get him back as the Genial Magician, and have to restart his quest line. It's possible that, after all is said and done, he'd just become Urbane again. And then I'm out something like 12,000 echos, not even counting all the secrets it costs.

There is someone else I might try to get back, a long time from now, but it's just so expensive. It almost feels like a joke.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's a pity you couldn't get the Serpentine; its a great engine and the better engine is stupid expensive even if it is worth every echo.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Neruz posted:

It's a pity you couldn't get the Serpentine; its a great engine and the better engine is stupid expensive even if it is worth every echo.

Especially since it's impossible to get without a larger cargo hold.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We have got ourselves a lot of uncanny passengers, haven't we?

I was kind of expecting the option to sup on souls with the Deviless.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Or sell the souls to the Empire of Hands. Really, kind of odd that we get a box of souls right as there's a lot of places where it would seem appropriate to have one.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Captain Bravo posted:

Or sell the souls to the Empire of Hands. Really, kind of odd that we get a box of souls right as there's a lot of places where it would seem appropriate to have one.

They do actually need crates of souls to complete their zeppelin, and will take them off our hands.

But only in multiples of two.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Journal entry 21 – Quickly home again

From The Journal of Captain Petra Blackwood

April 27th, 1888 - Morning

We took our gracious leave of the Empire of Hands this morning, one incredibly annoying person lighter than we'd arrived. I've had a thought buzzing at the back of my mind for the last few days. Something pulling me south, with dire intent. Only today has it solidified into an actual idea, however.

It involves my Navigator. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, really – He wishes to be less than he is, but he already became less once. I can help him do it again, but still be of use to me and my crew. So shall he earn his penance, though work. He did not seem delighted with the idea, but he certainly did deem it acceptable. I've had him set a course for the South, back to Kingeater Castle, where all his problems started and will certainly end. Poetic, in a way.

April 27th, 1888 – Evening

As we sailed out of the Empire of Hands, Draki came and got me from my quarters, saying a matter needed my attention.

It seems as though, with this departure, we gained an unusual stow-away. While I've heard of the Apes sometimes trying to escape from the island like this – which is why I brought my pistol when I'd been called down, originally – I had not been expecting it to be the Foundling. She told me, with childish earnestness, that she wanted to come zailing with me and to please please not send her back to the Empire.

Now, the Zee is no place for a child. But neither is an Empire filled with beings who would strip her soul from her at the first chance they had, or a group of pirates who would throw her in a pot – or worse.

I told her she could stay – at least for now – and I would reconsider when we arrived somewhere more hospitable. She did not seem to hear the last part, of course, and simply bounded away to explore the parts of the ship she'd never been able to explore due to me having something resembling security aboard the Unfinished.

I've set Celia to look after the girl for now, and to try to teach her the laws of the Zee. She seems the sort who could keep her in line. And if she can't, well – we'll see.

April 28th, 1888

The crew has realized something unusual is happening.

I tried to gather the things I would need in secret, for I knew few of those among us would understand what I was about to do, or why it was the best thing that could happen to the poor Navigator. But they saw me, here and there – Especially that SM woman, she always seems to be around a corner when I'm going about my duties.

We made landfall, and I ordered the rest of the crew to wait aboard while me and the Navigator ascended to steps of the castle.

It all went smoothly, breathtakingly smoothly. I removed from him all the things he would no longer need while his laughter echoed from the bowl of the castle. By the time I finished, tears of joy had wet his face, amid a few errant streaks of crimson.

He is better now.

I have fixed him.

Here omitted standard visits to Mangrove Collage, the Uttershroom, and the Isle of Cats.

May 1st, 1888

Today marked another visit to the Fathomking's hold. I've been thinking of Dr. Snark, recently – has he come here? Is he in one of these glowing spires? I wonder if he is happy, or at least content. But I don't think I am welcome to go looking, and am not certain I wish to be seen expressing enough interest to ask.

I have heard the Fathomking can restore nearly anyone, for a price, however. I occasionally wonder what Snark's would be.

It looks like I was wrong! We can, in theory, get back the Magician and start his quest line all over again. The cost of that, by the way, is 7 Captivating Treasures, 7 Scintilack, and 1 Searing Enigma – For a total purchasing cost of 12,655 echos. This really seems like a cruel joke.

By the way, even the Fathomking can't bring back Maybe's Daughter if she doesn't return from the Wicket. Even his power has limits.

I had come today to offer the Memento Mori to the King. However, upon reflection, I have decided I might yet have need of it. Instead, I have simply requested a boon; which he has graciously granted me.

Normally, when we depart the Hold, I order a north-westerly course. However, today was different. Today, I've decided, I am no longer going to let some overgrown zee-urchin tell me where I can and cannot zail.

I have the largest gun on the Unterzee. I think it's about time I started using it.

With Maybe's Rival keeping our new engine running hot as can be, the creature could not keep up with us.

All it could do was yell – which blistered the paint and gave several of us, myself included, splitting headaches, but that wasn't enough to stop us.

After a sustained barrage, it stopped moving. The crew seemed... Oddly quiet. I don't think anyone had expected us to win. But I had been confident, and only one or two people had spontaniously burst into flames during the whole affair and the buckets of water I'd had prepared before hand had done their job admirably.

I had the creature hauled aboard, but not much was left of it before long – like many of the Zee's odder residents, it dissolved under close scrutiny. However, it left behind its heart – A gorgeous mass of Irrigo. I know someone who will want this very badly.

Three torn-out pages precede this one. The edges of this page are stained with large ink plots, as though someone attempted to cover it, but the middle of the page is miraculously ink-free.

Wisdom

There was a Man so Wise,
He jumpt into
A Bramble Bush,
And scratcht out both his Eyes.

And when he saw
His Eyes were out,
And reason to Complain,
He jumpt into a Quickset Hedge,
And scratcht them in again.

May 6th, 1888

We arrived at Mutton Island under the cover of very heavy fog; a short stop would do us well, a last little reminder of where we were going to see us home.

While my crew fortified their spirits, I spent a little time surveying the beach. There was a surprising amount of flotsam today – it seems as though a ship may have run aground somewhere nearby, in the fog.

I'm not sure what kind of a place needs this many biscuits, but it was a boon for us. Several of the crates that had washed up were still whole; they made a welcome addition to our hold. Crackers will keep, and even if they are fungal, we can at least have something resembling a reasonable kind of tea-time for several weeks.

May 7th, 1888

Once more, London welcomes us home with open arms. We arrived early in the day, so I will finish my goings-about today so much as I can. My first stop was, of course, the Brass Embassy, I knew the deviless would not want to be kept waiting.

We were welcomed to the Embassy quite warmly. My contact there seemed to welcome her, but it turned out she had no need for them to pay her fair. She was quite capable of doing it herself, and enjoy seeing me in minor discomfort at the same time. I hope she's happy here, honestly. It means I'd be more likely to never have her aboard again – although if she always pays like this, it might not be so bad.

After that came my normal visit to the Admiralty, and then the Exchange to sell the various trinkets I'd collected at Zee.

With all my business done, I returned home – My adopted son was waiting for me there, along with a caretaker the Dapper Gentleman had hired to watch him while we were both away. He asked me many questions about my trips. I remember how my father used to answer those questions – Usually by not. I've resolved to be unlike him.

I told him of the time I spent on Visage, and the masks and roles. He was delighted at the idea, and spent the next few hours walking around pretending to act like he thought people in various animal masks might. I reckon I may have given our caretaker a project. In any case, he seems happy, and safe, and maybe that's enough.

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 12, 2015

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Hahaha, jesus, I've never done that to the Navigator before.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Small Frozen Thing posted:

The best part is now if you do the 'eat your crew' option on Kingeaters you won't eat the Sigil-Eaten Navigator. Because he helps you eat the crew.

e: I see you're still avoiding the deep south :v:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 12, 2015

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Well hopefully now that you've seen how happy it makes him, you'll do it every time from now on!

Truly, it is his best ending.

Neruz posted:

e: I see you're still avoiding the deep south :v:

I'll have you know, I plan to go there on my next outing. After going North. And then East. And then North again, and then wrapping around back South.

We're gonna be out for a long time is what I'm saying here.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Don't give away the Memento Mori! We still have Zee creatures to educate on what happens when you cross zee-captains!

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

SSNeoman posted:

Don't give away the Memento Mori! We still have Zee creatures to educate on what happens when you cross zee-captains!

Sadly, we will have to eventually. One of the items the King wants is a cutting-edge piece of tech, and there's only three in the game - The engine the Magician could have made was another, and would have been the preferred one. The other option is the engine the Tireless Mechanic can make, and let me tell you, if I manage to make that thing I'm keeping it.

That said, you're going to enjoy the next update. There will be much education.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You can also try and give him the Icarus in Black, but he doesn't like it :v:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Black Wombat posted:

Today marked another visit to the Fathomking's hold. I've been thinking of Dr. Snark, recently – has he come here? Is he in one of these glowing spires? I wonder if he is happy, or at least content. But I don't think I am welcome to go looking, and am not certain I wish to be seen expressing enough interest to ask.

I have heard the Fathomking can restore nearly anyone, for a price, however. I occasionally wonder what Snark's would be.

Aww, Petra does care about her fallen crew! Granted, I think my crewman would be the only person that could be brought back considering that everyone else was eaten or burned or what have you.

Speaking of which, do you plan on doing that at some point Wombat? I wouldn't really care if my guy came back, but I admit I am interested in how that would actually work and the flavor text that would result from that.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Dr. Snark posted:

Aww, Petra does care about her fallen crew! Granted, I think my crewman would be the only person that could be brought back considering that everyone else was eaten or burned or what have you.

Speaking of which, do you plan on doing that at some point Wombat? I wouldn't really care if my guy came back, but I admit I am interested in how that would actually work and the flavor text that would result from that.

I do, in fact! It's something that's not too expensive to show off - it only costs 1 Scintillack, and we'll be getting a lot of it in the very near future.

The Fathomking does seem to have the ability to return people that die of totally unrelated causes, too. I mean, he can give you back the Magician, and his mind is lost in parabola and then I ate his body. That's pretty drat gone, and not very related to the Zee.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Jones would appreciate seeing Snark again, although he'd never say it out loud.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Didn't the game say that the fathomking has connections to the dream world? Cause technically the real magician is still alive but trapped in the dream world, since it was a [insert horrifying creature] that came back instead of him, right?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's complicated, but the Fathomking is really powerful so barring the truly outrageous he can bring back almost anyone. If he wants to.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

ousire posted:

Didn't the game say that the fathomking has connections to the dream world? Cause technically the real magician is still alive but trapped in the dream world, since it was a [insert horrifying creature] that came back instead of him, right?

'Alive' is a difficult word to apply to the situation. The Dreamsnake took over his body, and his body was eaten. It's possible his consciousness still exists somewhere, but bringing him back still requires crafting a body from nothing and then retrieving his consciousness (which is separate, one should note, from a soul) and inserting it back into the body.

Neruz posted:

It's complicated, but the Fathomking is really powerful so barring the truly outrageous he can bring back almost anyone. If he wants to.

This is the basic answer, though. He's probably the most powerful single entity you encounter in Sunless Zee, with the possible exception of The Dawn Machine itself, and certainly the only one you can talk too. I like that the game doesn't really rub it in, but makes it pretty clear through your interactions with him.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Will we be able to get a gun that can compare to the MM, eventually? Though it sounds like one of the things the Fathomking wants is Mount Nomad's heart (he said something about "the heart of a legend"), and I can't imagine taking that thing on without Memento Mori.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That is one way to meet that requirement but by no means the only one.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Black Wombat posted:

'Alive' is a difficult word to apply to the situation. The Dreamsnake took over his body, and his body was eaten. It's possible his consciousness still exists somewhere, but bringing him back still requires crafting a body from nothing and then retrieving his consciousness (which is separate, one should note, from a soul) and inserting it back into the body.

Yeah, I suppose I phrased it slightly poorly. I certainly didn't mean to imply that he was just fine and dandy, he is for all intents and purposes dead to us folks in the Unterzee. However, I had been under the impression based on my experiences in Fallen London, than when you enter the dream world, you actually do enter there with your body and everything, and vanish from the waking world. After all, in FL, when you go insane and enter the Mirror Marshes, when you return to London your clothes are muddy and stained like you had actually been there. And when you ate the magician, it described him as tasting strange (And as you mentioned you didn't get any points of Peckish), which I took to mean that it wasn't actually, you know, human meat, but a Dreamsnake in human form.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cheat to get the required echos! proceed with original plan :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ousire posted:

Yeah, I suppose I phrased it slightly poorly. I certainly didn't mean to imply that he was just fine and dandy, he is for all intents and purposes dead to us folks in the Unterzee. However, I had been under the impression based on my experiences in Fallen London, than when you enter the dream world, you actually do enter there with your body and everything, and vanish from the waking world. After all, in FL, when you go insane and enter the Mirror Marshes, when you return to London your clothes are muddy and stained like you had actually been there. And when you ate the magician, it described him as tasting strange (And as you mentioned you didn't get any points of Peckish), which I took to mean that it wasn't actually, you know, human meat, but a Dreamsnake in human form.

Yeah, my take on it is that the Magician's mind and body are in the same dreamland place, and what came back was a Twin-Peaks style mirrorsnake doppelganger. Contrast to the Sigil-Eaten navigator, where his his body is in fact animated by his Eaten personality.

Fathomking can't bring back Maybe's Daughter from the Wicket because she didn't die at Zee and thus he'd have to lean on the Bazaar to return her. Which is unlikely, for a variety of reasons.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I suppose it's theoretically possible the Fathomking could lean on the Bazaar to get someone back if there was a really good reason, but it would probably have to be pretty drat important and he wouldn't be guaranteed to succeed.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Icarus in Black is made for mountain hunting.

Expensive though at 1500 echoes a shot.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I've been playing Fallen London for some time now, and I'd like to be spoiled on the Rubbery Men. What's their deal?

I know they're well-dressed octopus-men, and I suspect that they create amber in their bodies somehow. Other than that, I have no idea.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Yeah, my take on it is that the Magician's mind and body are in the same dreamland place, and what came back was a Twin-Peaks style mirrorsnake doppelganger. Contrast to the Sigil-Eaten navigator, where his his body is in fact animated by his Eaten personality.

I can see where you'd get that, and I certainly agree that the body does go into Parabola under some situations (when you take Honey, for example, or go crazy). However, if you read the Magician's own summary of his plan, he explicitly says the Mirrorsnake might steal his body if things don't go right. He says it two or three times, just about every time he asks you to kill him if he comes back as not himself. Which seems to imply that it was his physical body that Petra ate, which had simply been tainted by the snake's presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

LoonShia posted:

I've been playing Fallen London for some time now, and I'd like to be spoiled on the Rubbery Men. What's their deal?

I know they're well-dressed octopus-men, and I suspect that they create amber in their bodies somehow. Other than that, I have no idea.

Go ask in the Fallen London thread in Games.

• Locked thread