Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Artificer posted:

Fascinating sure but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there. It sounds absolutely miserable.

Such is the life of all sailors. Long periods of boredom followed by short, bright segments of wonder and terror that grow in the remembering, Zailors are much the same, only several million times more so.

Fallen London itself, on the other hand, isn't half bad as long as you mind the drownies and the sorrow-spiders. You've got to go to a lot of effort to seriously inconvenience people in a city where the difference between a morgue and a hotel is that people stay in hotels for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sorrow-Spiders can be pretty goddamn inconvenient even so due to their penchant for stealing eyes for reasons that are utterly horrific, as if stealing eyes wasn't horrific enough :ohdear:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Redeye Flight posted:

That's about the only good news relating to anything relating to the Revolutionaries.

Typical bourgeoisie propaganda. :colbert:

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Journal entry forty-one – Loyalties

From The Journal of Captain Petra Blackwood,

January 9th, 1889

This has been an amazing experience on many levels.

Even the trip was illuminating, in a way. I didn't imagine a system of locks could travel so far up.

Everything here is bright in a way it never is in the Neath. The breeze comes in strong, and there are birds and insects everywhere. It is as unlike the 'Neath as deep amber from marmalade.

Fortunately, the trip wasn't far, and largely kept to the shallow waters near the coasts. I've been told the Mediterranean is the shallowest and calmest of all the surface seas, and even so, I don't think the Checkmate is built for the kind of weather they see up here.

We put into port in Naples. The city was vibrant. Alive. Noisy and hot. It was like London in many ways, but more different than similar.

To my surprise, as we prepared to disembark from the ship, Phoebe came on-deck and made a request of me. She wanted to go visit her homeland. Of course, I wasn't going to refuse; The ticket was not insignificant, but not expensive enough that it mattered, not in the long run. I hope the woman finds peace up here that she never could have below.

Say hello to one of the Legacy items. 'A Dream of Red' gives all future captains +25 Hearts. You get it for finding Phoebe a proper home. There's two places to do it, but the surface is really far, far easier of the two.

Unfortunately, I had to go even further inland if I was to properly sell off the coffee I'd brought. A ride on a train was all it took, of course... The Surface is so vast. There are no railways this long in the 'Neath. Hardly any rails at all, in fact.

Vienna seems to have a problem. The revolutionaries that plot in London seem to have taken nest here, as well. Probably no small number of English ex-patriots, displaced by the selling of their city, have come here and now brood in hate and resentment.

An individual even recognized me as a 'Neather, probably because of my skin, and asked if I'd be returning below soon. And if I could bring something with me. I said I'd think about it and moved on.

I eventually found a man interested in buying my coffee. The owner of a coffee shop – an establishment that looked like it would be right at home in Veilgarden, a place after my own heart. The owner is a dreary man, but he knows good coffee when he tastes it and offered a more-than-fair price for the load I'd brought up. It was, indeed, enough to cover the trip.

Upon my return to Naples, I checked in with my crew. I'd left a few orders while I was away.

Slaan had done well in terms of provisioning the ship. Food here is so very cheap, compared to below, and for such quality! We could eat like kings here. Kings of the 'Neath, at least. It does, a little, make me wonder what the kings up here eat. I cannot imagine how one can make food more luxurious than this.

The crew had gotten a chance to taste the life of the surface. As I prepared to depart, the crew assembled, and we all noticed Lotus was missing. Maybe she has decided to stay. Perhaps the Sun got her. Either way, we don't have time to stay and look for her.

Finally, we returned to the Neath. I can now say what few of my generation can – I've visited the Surface and returned unharmed. I enjoyed myself, certainly, but I feel like... Whatever I was meant to do, to learn, went undone. I'll have to consider that, and make a return trip soon.

Perhaps the oddest thing of all of this – Upon returning to the 'Neath, everyone is insisting it's still January 9th, despite me spending four days on the surface. Well. I'm not going to argue with every person I meet. I think it's best just not to think about this.

For now, we head north, to return to London and restock.

January 10th, 1889

Having seen cities comparable in London in size, now, I feel more happy than ever to be coming home. There's just something comforting about this place.

As soon as we arrived in London, the Hands-On Diplomat told me it was time to complete my charge. I oversaw docking as quickly as possible and started to fill me in on the details of the mission.

It was enough to start giving me second thoughts. On the other hand, if he is working with Snuffers, maybe he's not the man I thought he was.

Voting time! On two different issues, in fact.

First, do we support the anarchists? I should point out, Supremacy – London and Supremacy – Anarchists are, naturally, mutually exclusive. And we're almost done with the London supremacy. Finishing Port Carnelian should do it.

Second, do we let the Hands-On Diplomat get her hands on the dapper chap, or do we save him?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For the sake of the kid, save the Dapper Chap. London orphanages are not a good place to be in, not at all.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Save The Dapper Chap! You wouldn't betray your own lover, would you?

And support Anarchy, too.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, yeah, support London. Given the year, the anarchists above the surface are likely people crying against the laws of absolutist tyrants, but the ones below the surface... Well, they're also crying against the laws of absolutist tyrants, but the laws in question also happen to be the laws of nature, and things would get kinda hectic without them. :v:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Save the Dapper Chap! We can double-date, cap'n!

And Rule Britannia! I don't trust these 'liberation of night' jackanapes.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

my dad posted:

For the sake of the kid, save the Dapper Chap. London orphanages are not a good place to be in, not at all.

It should be noted, we don't have a child at this point - we have a scion. They're different qualities, and letting the Dapper Chap die won't remove us having a scion.

Our kid's already out at zee, anyway. An orphanage (although not THE orphanage) might be safer.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Save the Chap, and support London. Monarchy over Anarchy!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
For the Chap and for London!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

mcclay posted:

This.

Also can someone remind me when did we receive this grim commission against our own beloved?

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
Not sure what to do about the chap but I'm fairly certain we should Support London over the Anarchists.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Let him die and support the anarchists. loving around with creatures that steal the faces of people is never ever a good idea.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Black Wombat posted:

It should be noted, we don't have a child at this point - we have a scion. They're different qualities, and letting the Dapper Chap die won't remove us having a scion.

Oh! Well, in that case, I change my vote to geting rid of that Chap-lookalike

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Also can someone remind me when did we receive this grim commission against our own beloved?

Last update it was revealed that the snuffer in Port Carnelian was sent by a possibly-rogue Presbyterate agent from London. Everyone hates snuffers, and we took the Hands-on Diplomat on to root out whoever had been working with them. Plot twist, the Chap's in charge of Presbyterate affairs over there!

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 16, 2015

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Support London and save the Dapper Chap. Making a potentially ill-advised decision in the name of love is practically a public service in a Fallen City, after all.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I say we Save the Chap and Support London.

I've always had my suspicions about this part of the mission... and I think it a little odd that we were to deliver the snuffer alive, and shortly after take a brand new agent with us...

Also, I think there's a third way to get the Hearts book, since I stumbled on the other way during a playthrough and while tougher, I wouldn't call it much much harder.
Befriending the Station III Acolyte got me the book. I assume the really hard way is an embassy at Aestival?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Save the Chap, and Support London!

If the Anarchists lose I'll have a writeup on them ready sharpish.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
London

Kill the Chap

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm suspicious of the diplomat as well as the dapper chap, now. At least the child is safe so I am ambivalent on the matter.

However, London forever.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Support London, and thus kill the Chap.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
London is the greatest city on the Unterzee, and don't you forget it! Also Kill the Chap

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
You have to imagine Naples does fantastic business on the food side of things.

"Huh. Miraculous bullshit from deep beneath the earth. You don't say. Well, this is food that is not made of either mushrooms or fish."

"Glad to do business with you."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Elfface posted:

I've always had my suspicions about this part of the mission... and I think it a little odd that we were to deliver the snuffer alive, and shortly after take a brand new agent with us...

...:ohdear:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
Soiled Meat
Long live London and help your Dapper Chap live longer.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

It's good to see that Kalan made it through her hellish ordeal on the surface. She's a true survivor!

Also, support London and Scrap the Chap

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
Kill that dang chap!

As a side note, this thread convinced me to both buy Sunless Sea and start sinking my time into Fallen London. It's very much fun, thanks!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Elfface posted:

The snuffer you captured was working as an aide to the governor, I think that would mean it already understood English.

Scapegrace
Oct 26, 2005
Einstein rode a bike!
Kill the chap and for London!

hoverboard Humpty-Dumpty
Sep 5, 2007

Nothing changes loyalties like the homeland sending a hitman after you, so save our chap, for London!

Also thanks for showing this off, would have gone under my radar otherwise.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

A chap with this much dap is a rare thing. Best save him. Besides, it's not like YOU told him about the whole eating-people thing. A healthy relationship allows both participants some breathing room for personal secrets.
Also, for the sake of novelty and the pleasing sounds big expensive things make when you smash them, down with london.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

paradoxGentleman posted:

They have their moments, yes.

I meant to post this earlier, but there's more by that artist on their tumblr. They're all just as great.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Save the chap and strike a blow against the tyrant oppressors! :argh:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It occurs to me that you could pretty easily test for Snuffers in public positions just by subjecting suspects to a little light killing -- a stabbing, a cut throat, something of that form. An actual human will recover within a few days, while a Snuffer will die permanently on the spot. The things that the Neath lets you do, huh?

FourOhFour
Oct 17, 2012
Down with London but Save that Man. No reason not to stir the pot a little, and see what bubbles on up.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Antivehicular posted:

It occurs to me that you could pretty easily test for Snuffers in public positions just by subjecting suspects to a little light killing -- a stabbing, a cut throat, something of that form. An actual human will recover within a few days, while a Snuffer will die permanently on the spot. The things that the Neath lets you do, huh?

On the other hand even though in the 'Neath people do not always die when they are killed it's still very painful and inconvenient.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Neruz posted:

On the other hand even though in the 'Neath people do not always die when they are killed it's still very painful and inconvenient.

So just another part of securing a public office, then.

Serve London, save the Chap.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

mcclay posted:

I also agree with this vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
support london, and saving the chap seems in character for Petra

• Locked thread