Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Or, to put that in a mildly-less Fallen-Londony way: the Bazaar can't just grab a city. It has to make a trade both parties benefit from. The Bazaar promised it would save a life in exchange for taking the capitol of the greatest civilization of its age, and it turned out it could do only one of those things (and that not particularly well-have you seen the Cantigaster lately?). The Second City's traders flat-out screwed it: the Second City was the capitol of the greatest civilization of its age, yes, but it was also barely a city at all.

You know how in a Civilization game you can move your palace to some shithole in the middle of nowhere in the name of efficiency gains, then realize the new place is terrible and quickly rebuild your palace closer to the heartland? Historical Amarna was exactly that happening. Being stolen by a giant space crab and its bat-servants is a much more dignified way for a city to go out than being the Pharaonic equivalent of an embarrassing pet project of your dad's you have to pretend you're really impressed by, whose inevitable destiny is getting thrown on Ebay so you can clear up some space in the attic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Second City wasn't just poo poo and a failure: it was a trap that chained the Bazaar against its will with chains from 'the horizon-place'. It was a deliberate scheme. That's why they're so mad. The Masters themselves wouldn't have cared as much if it was just a dud, but it forced them to stay there for ages longer and not move to the next one and that they're very grumpy about.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Black Wombat posted:

Also - Skoolmunkee. Mycelia. You're alive. You're in London. Do you get back on the boat? Dare you a second round with Petra Blackwood?

Heck no, I think S.M would be thanking her lucky stars that she died when and where she did. There's risk taking for a job and then there's just being crazy. Petra is a household name now! S.M. helped!

I wouldn't be surprised if she got killed "accidentally" actually...

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

ousire posted:

On a less spoiler-y note, part of me really wished Wombat had ended the update after delivering the hydrogen and asked the thread to vote on what to name the emperor's airship. :haw:

Haha, you know, I considered it? Leave it up for like a day, then continue on. Bloody monkeys.

skoolmunkee posted:

Heck no, I think S.M would be thanking her lucky stars that she died when and where she did. There's risk taking for a job and then there's just being crazy. Petra is a household name now! S.M. helped!

I wouldn't be surprised if she got killed "accidentally" actually...

But think of all the wonders she's going to miss! Petra is about to zail South. What reporter wouldn't want the scoop on the Elder Continent?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Black Wombat posted:

Haha, you know, I considered it? Leave it up for like a day, then continue on. Bloody monkeys.

But think of all the wonders she's going to miss! Petra is about to zail South. What reporter wouldn't want the scoop on the Elder Continent?

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Ok, sign her up

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So what happens if you steal the Zeppelin?

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Captain Bravo posted:

So what happens if you steal the Zeppelin?

You fly away, ending your run. It does give you one of the Legacy items, however.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

Or, to put that in a mildly-less Fallen-Londony way: the Bazaar can't just grab a city. It has to make a trade both parties benefit from.

Yeah, I get your theory, but to me it doesn't explain everything that happened with the Second City. There's the chains that MikeJF mentioned, and the intentional use/abuse of the Correspondence (in its original form, no less) by the Pharaoh, and the King's Folly vs Princess' cunning (if he was the one setting up the trade, what was its original form, and how did the daughters fix it? Not by offering Amarna, since it was originally the Pharaoh's project), and the fact that Amarna's citizens might've been all astonishingly well-informed about the situation and its details.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Black Wombat posted:

That might have been the Vake! Because the Vake is secretly one of the Masters, or so I've heard. And she shot a Master.

Unknown! You've now seen basically every bit of story that exists about Abbey Rock, save a few dollops of flavor. My theory is that For all their prominence and fancy technology, the Masters have very limited ability to actually project their power outside of whichever city the Bazaar is currently in. This also explains things like the New Sequencers can get away with their shenanigans.

So, as an aside. We're rapidly closing in on the end of the game. I'm intentionally not doing the Isle of Cats or Savior's Rocks. It doesn't look like I'm going to finish Station III, either - I'd hoped too, but it just never fell into place. We've done the story lines of every officer, and finished almost every port except the ones listed above.

Is there anything the thread really wants to see done before we wrap up? I think I've finished pretty much all the loose ends, but I'm worried I'm forgetting something.

Also - Skoolmunkee. Mycelia. You're alive. You're in London. Do you get back on the boat? Dare you a second round with Petra Blackwood?

Is there anything more to see in the Chapel of Lights?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Neruz posted:

The Sisters at Abbey Rock are descended from a royal house back during the time of the Second City when they played an instrumental part in the tricking of the Masters into taking Amarna instead of an actually useful city, as a result they are also an ancient order of warriors dedicated to fighting the Vake. So yeah that was the Vake and she wounded it.

Wounded implies that it can heal. The Sisters made it very clear this is not the case. She crippled the thing. Not badly, but's going to carry that injury for the rest of its existence. That's why it's such a good death.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Is there another way to fulfill the Adventuress' death? Because I would think being fired at Mt. Nomad might also qualify, if they could tie the two systems together.

e: Also, with all the discussion about what's on the roof, I thought they'd actually called down Storm. :stare::respek::black101:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 29, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dareon posted:

e: Also, with all the discussion about what's on the roof, I thought they'd actually called down Storm. :stare::respek::black101:

I imagine that would be... substantially more dramatic. Also, I don't think she'd have done anywhere near as well.

Also, Storm is dead. It's just that that doesn't mean it can't still have lots of influence.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Stroth posted:

Wounded implies that it can heal. The Sisters made it very clear this is not the case. She crippled the thing. Not badly, but's going to carry that injury for the rest of its existence. That's why it's such a good death.

Wounded doesn't necessarily imply that it can heal and even healed wounds leave a scar. But yes the Adventuress hurt the Vake and hurt it bad. Bad enough that it will never fully recover.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 30, 2015

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Would someone explain what The Vake is for those of us who don't play Fallen London?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Would someone explain what The Vake is for those of us who don't play Fallen London?

That's a Spoiler. Well, the full version is. Everyone who listens to sufficiently worrying stories about things that lurk in the dark (and this being the Neath, that's a long list) knows that it's a particularly nasty, sadistic, invincible monstrosity that picks people off for shits and giggles.

Because it's Mr Veils blowing off steam.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

skoolmunkee posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Ok, sign her up

Hmm. South, the elder continent. Hope you like things spontaneously coming to life!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ill sign up for the crew. You inspired me to lightly cheatengine my way through Father's Bones, but never saw the quest you're doing. Cant wait to see whats up.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Then how did she just cripple it?

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Then how did she just cripple it?

Not invulnerable. It won, she just hurt it in the process of winning.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Black Wombat posted:

You're drat right I do. :getin:

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

pumpinglemma posted:

Is there anything more to see in the Chapel of Lights?

There is, but sadly, Petra's pages score is not, and will never be, high enough to unlock most of that content. It will have to be left as an exercise for the reader.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Is it not possible to grind up pages? 1 point in Pages costs 1 secret, and you can purchase secrets in Irem, can't you?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It's possible in chunks of 7. No officer offers pages training worth mentioning. There's no great infinite echoes loop atm though, afaik.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Is it not possible to grind up pages? 1 point in Pages costs 1 secret, and you can purchase secrets in Irem, can't you?

Only one crewmember in the game can increase your pages in exchange for secrets, and I don't think that Petra has that person. Making a Monstrous Almanac also permanently increases Pages, but you can only have one of those at a time, so you'd have to throw it overboard (expensive) or go sell it somewhere (time-consuming).

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Captain Bravo posted:

Also, Secrets cost 1,000 echos each. Even as wealthy as Petra is, she can't really afford many.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Journal entry 45 – The Touch of the South

From The Journal of Captain Petra Blackwood,

January 27th, 1889

Another return to London, another trip behind me. I've been anxious to return. Ever since I returned from the surface, I've been feeling ever-more driven to return to Frostfound. There's not much left between me and my goal.

Once in London, I paid a visit to my friend the Alarming Scholar. We shared stories, and I passed on the Ray-Drenched Cinders to further fund my ventures.

However, it was not merely a pleasure call for simple business. I needed the Scholar's help. I needed something to rival the Name in its burning glory. I had collected many secrets, but none of them equal to the name. I needed someone to tie them together. The Scholar was that person.

The results were regrettable, but I have what I need. Burning truths equal to the name of the Traveller. I'm so close to being ready now. So very close.

I visited my home. I, perhaps, was more brusk with my father than I should have been. I waved his questions aside, for I had work to do. I had Nytell and Gideon carry the slate of fish I had purchased at Irem to my abode, and here, I have labored.

I have created a repository of secrets made of fish and bone. I shall return this to the ship. Remove that silly shrine and place this instead. We don't need to watchful eyes of gods, merely our own wit. Once that is done, and the resupply is completed, we will be departing immediately... For the South. There will be no stops on this voyage; these other ports only offer distractions to my goal.

January 30th, 1889

We've arrived at Adam's Way – The massive, wasp-topped statues that mark the enterance to the Elder Continent loom over us. But I am not to be discouraged.

I have gathered the crew in preparation for this. Told them that they're aboard one of the finest ships of the Unterzee. I recounted some of our previous 'impossible' victories. The dangers of the South cannot compare with the Tree of Ages, after all. Or the North. And we've emerged from those.

I have no doubt that we shall also emerge gloriously from this.

Let us see what lies to the South.

If you fail this check, you instantly die. You need Veils 124 for a 100% chance to pull it off.

January 31st, 1889

I sit now on the deck of my ship, looking at the harbor of Adam's Way. I've done what is supposed to be impossible; I've zailed South. I can barely recount the wonders I saw there. It is suffice to say, every legend we tell each other in Fallen London are wrong, but only because they are not glorious enough. I saw a flower bloom in ivory and a tree smile diamonds. There is glory that the human mind is not easily equipped to comprehend; my crew heard it's siren song, as did I. But the Checkmate is mine. I am it's captain. I cannot abandon it... Not even for a place like this.

During my survey of the resources remaining, I learned I have not been entirely abandoned. Huddled in the back of the hull, near the shrine to Salt, I discovered Mr. Snark. He had not once gone up on deck, not for the entire time we were in the South. He looked at me with eyes that said he was not so sure I was not a monster and asked if we were returning home.

I told him we were, but not for long.

Oh no, not for long at all.

With only two pairs of hands to do the work of running the Checkmate, things will be difficult and slow. The very nature of the South would have torn any lesser ship apart, and the bilge pumps will have to be kept on merely to keep us afloat. But I'm not scared. The Impeller will let us outpace any danger we see.

No rest until London.

As a reminder – when you have less than half crew, your speed is halved. When you have less than one-quarter crew, you gain Terror twice as fast. And when you have less than half Hull, any damage you take also kills crew. Even if I used a few Rat engineers, even a steam-pinnacle could one-shot us, because 0 crew is also a loss condition.

February 5th, 1889

I am so very tired.

But we did it. We've made it. Even now, some men from the Admiralty are bringing the Checkmate into drydock. My limbs feel like rubber and I can barely keep my eyes open, but every time they close, I see them. The towers, in the north. They call to me. I have no time to be tired.

I must find new crew. I must put my last affairs in order. I will be leaving soon, so soon. Perhaps I have time for a short rest, but as soon as the Checkmate is out of drydock, we will be zailing, even if I have to run the ship by myself all the way to Frostfound.

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 31, 2015

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Sounds like an opportunity to me--sign me up!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Look on the bright side: Either the spy is gone, or you know who it is!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I knew it was a trick >:[

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Are we going to go NORTH? If so I have a burning desire to throw myself down a well. I'll sign up for the final voyage.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'll sign up for this 3 hour tour.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Captain Bravo posted:

Look on the bright side: Either the spy is gone, or you know who it is!

There is a third option.

Mirrors posted:

Are we going to go NORTH? If so I have a burning desire to throw myself down a well. I'll sign up for the final voyage.

Petra already went NORTH, she now has the stigma of all four cardinal directions and a Dread Surmise which are the starting points you need to pursue the Name-Which-Burns. You also need to inhale a ton of sunlight but it's not a good idea to do that part until the very end because otherwise you tend to explode.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I think you triple posted the same screenshot for the trip to the elder continent?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Black Wombat posted:

If you fail this check, you instantly die. You need Veils 124 for a 100% chance to pull it off.

So... what happens when you make it? It's apparently important.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Welp. It was nice knowing all of my fellow crewmembers; I'm sure that they're much happier on the Elder Continent than I am right now.

I am officially SOL-Petra wants to keep me on her ship, so I cant leave. At the same time, she's been going on insanely dangerous voyages that will likely result in my death in the near future.

Either way, I am hosed.

Morbidmind posted:

I think you triple posted the same screenshot for the trip to the elder continent?

Yeah, the same image was triple posted. I'd like to see what exactly took away everyone but me.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
It's a bit funny how the overarching storyline plays out sometimes in Sunless Sea.

One of my first captains was hyper-competent in Veils and would have made the trip south guaranteed by a wide margin, but never did (mostly because I feared the consequences of doing so could still end the game, and I was right to worry). Instead, she completed her ambition to retire in fabulous wealth and luxury, having lost only about a baker's dozen of her crew in total during all of her lengthy explorations and regular trade route circuits. Casualties were mostly due to exposure to sunlight during trading trips to the Surface or resupply trips to Aestival, i.e. accidental or incidental (and possibly even not fatal for crew lost during surface-trips).

She never ran out of food, coal or sanity and hardly ever lost a crewman to hungry zee-beasts, bats or other. As far as employers go, and compared to reckless cannibal insaniacs like Captain Petra here, she might have been the best thing on the zee since rubbery lumps and in her timeline is probably due to be sainted by God's Editors for her services to safe shipping on the zee (after sufficient donations are made, of course).

Mind, my cap'n did participate regularly in the goaler's honey trade and did sell a certain gung-ho gunnery officer into slavery, but the advantage of having a high veils is that you can keep all of that on the down-low. Besides, it may have been for the best, all things considered. The cheeky bastard turned up again in the Iron Republic a few weeks later wanting to hire on again.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

So. Somebody learns all the secret Eldritch lore talked about in this thread, and then they put it all in a book and publish it anonymously on the surface. How quickly would they suffer a horrific, horrific fate?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr. Snark posted:

Welp. It was nice knowing all of my fellow crewmembers; I'm sure that they're much happier on the Elder Continent than I am right now.

You have no idea. :allears:

As ways for me to leave the Checkmate, this was... unexpectedly positive.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I'm interested. Sign me up, Capn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Dareon posted:

So... what happens when you make it? It's apparently important.

Now THAT'S a thing to bollocks up. I've fixed it.

skoolmunkee posted:

I knew it was a trick >:[

I didn't actually sign you on, I didn't need new crew before I went South.

So... How about going East? How's that grab you?

Neruz posted:

Petra already went NORTH, she now has the stigma of all four cardinal directions and a Dread Surmise which are the starting points you need to pursue the Name-Which-Burns. You also need to inhale a ton of sunlight but it's not a good idea to do that part until the very end because otherwise you tend to explode.

The actual requirements for getting the Name are frustratingly poorly spelled-out. Needing a 'Burning truth' sounds like a 'Searing enigma', but surprise, you need the next level of item up from that. And nothing directly suggests needing Burning, Yearning.

Of course, the only way to find out is to get to the very core of Frostfound after thinking you have what you need only to learn that nope, you don't.

It's kinda a dick move.

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 31, 2015

• Locked thread