Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The funniest thing about the Z bullshit is that the lore even acknowledges that it's a load of bullshit. http://www.failbettergames.com/z/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The sea is up there, on the surface. It's a completely different thing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Black Wombat posted:

So I did. It's been fixed.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! We've still got a long way to go, but Petra is getting close to being out of the dying-early stage of the game. Sometimes things just get arranged such that it's hard to get started.

It is quite fun and has made me take another pass at Fallen London. It's a hoot!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like the most recent patch changed the AI behaviour on the sharks and other sea monsters so hugging them doesn't work anymore, they'll just beat the hell out of you if you touch them no matter the angle. Or possibly I'm just doing it wrong. Also discovered that this game is a lot more fun if you edit the config file so having the lights on doesn't burn so much fuel- it uses a stupid amount and without that I don't have to run with no lights and constantly go mad.

Of course on my last run out I found a way to go mad anyway. HE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE S

e: oh and if anyone is messing about on Fallen London I'm on there as well

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ousire posted:

A minor question: Why exactly is it referred to as the 'zee' in this game, and not the sea? Is it just the developer's way of representing an accent?

The answer is the Dutch.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

my dad posted:

The answer is the Dutch.

Oh those wacky Dutch, what will they do next?

Coolguye posted:

The funniest thing about the Z bullshit is that the lore even acknowledges that it's a load of bullshit. http://www.failbettergames.com/z/

That was an absolute delight to read. Love when a game company can poke fun at themselves like that. :allears: thanks for linking it!

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

ousire posted:

Oh those wacky Dutch, what will they do next?

Since you ask, I'm going to volunteer myself as a zailor.

I have to say, captain, that the correspondence is either the bravest or most foolhardy thing under the false-stars to name a ship after. I applaud you either way. On an unrelated note, might we be venturing North, perchance?

Innocent_Bystander fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 1, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

North...

North...

Let's not go North.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Coolguye posted:

It seems like exactly the sort of thing that the group of people willing to sail a body of water known to be home to crabs that could eat a small house would embrace whole-heartedly. And then be VERY snippy about.

Crane Fist posted:

Of course on my last run out I found a way to go mad anyway.

I've come awfully close to that for the same reason, but managed to drag myself back from the brink. My poor captain had nightmares for like a month.

Anyway! Update will probably be out late this evening. Might be a short one - just back to London, and then faffing about the city. Finally getting some ship upgrades. Picking up my favorite officer.

E: Also, we're heading north next. Just, you know. In case someone was wondering.

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 1, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my dad posted:

The answer is the Dutch.

Christ, give it a rest already, that's always your response.

Incidentally, one thing I always found a bit funny about Fallen London is how the Unterzee is possibly the safest place in the game. Like, while you're sailing I haven't found many opportunities to pick up Menaces (nightmares, wounds, etc.), and if you're on one of the islands and you go over the insane/dead threshold of 8, you don't go insane or die. You either get cured or you keep on truckin', until presumably you get back to London and keel over.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Black Wombat posted:

It seems like exactly the sort of thing that the group of people willing to sail a body of water known to be home to crabs that could eat a small house would embrace whole-heartedly. And then be VERY snippy about.

The explanation seems, dare I say, plausible.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Ah, this LP is neat! I saw this game on Steam a while back but realized it wasn't a game I'd enjoy playing very much, but was sad I was going to miss out on the atmosphere and story. So I'm glad there's a screenshot LP (those are easier for me to keep up with than videos) and that it's being done so well! I'm a sucker for narrative types.

I dunno if many people have said it, but I love that the crewmates are writing entries in their journals, too. :3: Please keep it up!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
If the dutch come and volunteer, the Germans aren't far behind. I shall volunteer when possible.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Should you ever be in need of new Zailors, you might find a rowdy and roguish young... ahem... lady, by the name of Drakkli aka Miss Drak, in need of leaving town for a while. Please don't mind her greenish skin-tone and pointed ears, or her reputation for adept-hood at the five-finger discount.

Rumors that she's some kind of goblin or imp that's burrowed her way up into Fallen London from beneath in search of an easier life are quite slanderous.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well naturally. Everyone knows there's nothing underneath London except Rubbery Men burrows anyway

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
We should really set up a correspondence ring for all the somewhat Goonish members of Fallen London's society.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
My character is attached to a non-SA name and email, and doxx-related paranoia disinclines me from linking it. Otherwise I'd totally be up for that. :v:

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Journal entry 07 – The Inner-Sea Loop, part two

The Journal of Captain Petra Blackwood

Some entries expunged

December 27th, 1887 -

The first leg of our trip home has been rather quiet. We left the funging station in the early morning, and sailed west-by-northwest. We sailed for almost a day – along we way, we encountered a small pirate ship that did not get out of our way fast enough. We discovered a remarkable crate of fabric in the wreckage, and I trust it will fetch a good price – although I almost wish I could just keep it and stare at the patterns. They are enthralling.

This afternoon, we arrived at the Salt Lions. Massive structures, which predate London significantly – and, if I don't miss my guess, will outlive it as well, despite our best efforts. The monuments are surrounded by a delicate lattice of boards and metal rods that support men prying free stones with crude tools.

Like always, I made careful note of the things I thought would be of interest to the admiralty. I then ascended to the top of the northern Sphinx. From here I could hear someone, someone very distant, as though they were whispering. I couldn't make out the words, but I could make out the intent, and by the time I realized what was happening I was plunging down into the waters below.

I think I heard one of my crewmen scream. But I knew what I was doing. Of course I know what I was doing. Why would they think I didn't? The water gave me a secret. It told me remarkable things. It was well worth having the sadness seep into my clothes and the tears of this evening.

Once I had recomposed myself, I went back onto the docks and learned what I could of the place, beyond the comings and goings of ships. The Unmaker, the man in charge of dismantling the sphinx, said he would consign a delivery of sphinxstone to me, if I had the echos for a deposit; said they'd pay well in London. I had the echos, and the hold space, and told them to wheel the stones aboard.

With our hold full of stone, we headed north-west, towards London proper.

December 28th, 1887 -

Sailed through the Corsair's Forest without seeing a single pirate ship. This is problematic, in its way. I was relying on a 'donation' or two from pirates to stretch our fuel supply a little. Instead, we will have to simply return to London with our deck light off. It should only be about another day and a half – no problem at all.

December 30th, 1887 -

We arrived in London mid-morning. The crew was all glad, I think, to be back in the comforting light of Wolfstack harbor, and while they were all eager to go running off and do whatever they do when they aren't working for me, first, they had to help me unload the Sphinxstone. The Special Constables visited our ship on their own, for a 'random search', fortunately – and sent for the man to collect it.

I then released my crew to their proclivities, and checked in with the harbor master. It seemed another poor, yet well-qualified, soul was interested in joining our little crew; meeting him took top priority.

He was a very... Energetic man. I am certain he will keep the crew on their toes, if his experiments don't sink us.

The Irrepressible Cannoneer is my favorite officer. He's just so... Enthusiastic. :allears:

Once he started to get settled, I went ashore to go meet a scholar of my acquaintance. I used to be rather well-known around Benthic University, and I happen to know the location of the Office of Marine Acquisitions. I went today and introduced myself to the Alarming Scholar, a the rather unusual individual who runs the office.

The Alarming Scholar is useful. He (She?) will buy various items from you that you can't sell normally at the Wolfstack exchange. Some are totally worth it, others you should hold on to – for example, the three basic stories – Zee-stories, Tales of Terror, and Memories of Distant Shores – only sell for 10 echos each. Which is 100% not worth it. But...

As far as I know, you cannot get a Macaw of Memories. Tragic, isn't it?

The Scholar paid good echos for quite a few things; with this money – and the money I collected turning in my port reports to the admiralty – I decided it was time to give the Correspondence a small upgrade. With all the danger we had encountered, I figured having slightly better armaments wouldn't go wrong.

So having MUCH better ones would be even better.

For comparison, or previous gun had a base damage of 8. This will help immensely.

While I was shopping, I was approached by a unusual individual. He had the air of a dreamer about him, but his eyes were sharp, and he told me he needed a zee-captain to retrieve things for him from distant ports, as part of some plan. I don't know what he'd do with mutersalt or the devilbone dice, but either way, he's willing to pay quite a premium for them.

The merchant here shows up any time you're in London after day 10. He's always looking for one of two sets of goods. Almost all of them can be got from some other port and sold here and a huge profit. Once you fulfill enough contracts, he'll have another job for you – but we'll get there when we get there!

Both Wither and Mt. Palmerstone lie to the north – And would not be too difficult to get too, I reckon. The dice, especially, would be an excellent profit.

Once my crew return, we will depart immediately.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fuuuuuuck our terror level keeps rising. I assume having it at 50 is "not good"? Most of these bars seem to not matter until they max out, so I guess we're not gonna go "THE SKEWERED EYE WEEPS AND SUCKS THE MARROW FROM BONES THE END OF THE WORLD I SEE NOW FOOLS ALL OF YOU" for at least a short while longer.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

SSNeoman posted:

Fuuuuuuck our terror level keeps rising. I assume having it at 50 is "not good"? Most of these bars seem to not matter until they max out, so I guess we're not gonna go "THE SKEWERED EYE WEEPS AND SUCKS THE MARROW FROM BONES THE END OF THE WORLD I SEE NOW FOOLS ALL OF YOU" for at least a short while longer.

Unlike the others, Terror actually does do things before 100! The higher terror is, the more likely you are to get random events at zee. And the worse those events can be. Having Terror get to 100 is certainly a failure state, but things do get messy before then.

Somewhere around 80, the really nasty stuff starts to come out to play.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Captain, I'm starting to lose my faith in your sanity. Leaping into the brine like that... Salt let you go - this time.

REPORT: Confirming that the target hasn't shown to be connected to the Brass Embassy in any way. Suspecting a Dutch connection, potential republican ties. Investigating occult interests. Increase in number of target's associates and affiliates. Mission risk rising rapidly. Awaiting new instructions. J

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Captain,

I have been quite taken with your tales of life on the zee, and wish to experience some of the wonder and terror for myself.

Yrs,
Valentine Renard

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Valentine~Renard (also if anyone wants to friend me on FL, that would be cool)

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
Well, it seems there's no shortage of volunteers, so I'll just get in line.
Really enjoying the LP so far and the game pretty much went up to the top of my wishlist on Steam now.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
The Ministry of Public Decency and Special Constables are such delightfully English names for secret police in service to alien usurpers. :allears:

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:
You bought the bad expensive gun instead of the good cheap one. Was that on purpose?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The two guns you're referring to had their stats accidentally switched and it was fixed in a recent patch, iirc

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

So I've noticed that our Terror level is starting to get particularly high, and I was wondering if there was a way to lower it by a significant degree or does it function as a soft time limit?

At any rate, it's been way too long since I've written a log and I'm looking forward to writing about Doc's descent into madness.

From the Journal of "Doc" Snark

I am now certain that our captain is insane, or at the minimum not right in the head. If it wasn't for Sar my personal search out in the zee, I would have gotten off of this boat ages ago. To recap:

-After returning to London (and after certain incidents on Gaider's Mourn that will never be spoken of by anyone ever again-looking at you Galaxian-) the captain hired a bloody magician. As chief engineer. The hell is he going to do, conjure up new parts when one breaks?

-We came across a bound-shark, and while the sight of a shark being crushed by iron bonds was horrific enough, she declared that it was going to be our meal for the next few days. That was bad enough, but I should also mention that our meat actively screamed at me as I cut it up. Poor Kalan had the same thing happen to him, but nobody else wanted to believe us.

-Then after we stopped by Pigamote Isle (which is doing surprisingly well) we arrived at the abbey, where I had the honor of locating what was left of a Visager. Not only did the captain take a map it was holding, but she then proceeded to rip its head off. She commented how the mask would be valuable and how the skull would look nice over her fireplace. I resisted the urge to vomit on the spot.

-After that, we landed at the Shepard Isles, where our "good captain" hired on a navigator with a tattoo that looked like the sigil of the Correspondence. He was odd enough as it was, but I'm convinced I saw that tattoo of his...growing...

-Then we had a fairly relaxing stop at some fungal baths, and landed at the Salt Lions. While we were there, our captain decided that it would be a wonderful idea to LEAP INTO THE BLODDY ZEE UNPROTECTED. We were all horrified as she fell-someone screamed but I wasn't sure who-but thankfully she came back up with...an object of some kind. Being near that thing scares the poo poo out of me, so I've been avoiding it like the plague.

We're finally back in London again, so I have a moment's breather before the captain tries to get herself (and possibly us) killed again out there. Bloody hell.

Gods, that jillyfish's face...please be safe, sister...

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Coolguye posted:

The two guns you're referring to had their stats accidentally switched and it was fixed in a recent patch, iirc

I think it was, then it was rebroken.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 2, 2015

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Abyssal Lurker posted:

You bought the bad expensive gun instead of the good cheap one. Was that on purpose?

Nope, you're totally right. I'd never even noticed that before. I'm going to sell the good one and buy the cheap one, which will actually have the effect of me paying about 500 echos for the second-best gun in the Bazaar, which seems like it was their intention.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

The Ministry of Public Decency and Special Constables are such delightfully English names for secret police in service to alien usurpers. :allears:

I love that their badge is literally a burning book.

Dr. Snark posted:

So I've noticed that our Terror level is starting to get particularly high, and I was wondering if there was a way to lower it by a significant degree or does it function as a soft time limit?

There are ways. First, every time you return to London, it always drops to 50, no matter how high it is - assuming you have 'Something awaits you!' when you dock there. Any port that allows for shore leave will lower it, to varying amounts - usually not enough for how much it costs (London, the best of em', gives -5 for 30 Echos. I think the worst is -1 for 50? Except for a few where you can get unlucky and gain Terror instead.) A few places offer 'Something awaits you!' events that lower Terror as well.

Killing zee-monsters and sinking pirates lowers Terror. The nastier the enemy, the more terror, but I think even the real big stuff is like... 5 points.

As you get higher, events will pop up that will let you do things to lower Terror - often costing supplies or requiring a check. Failure to do so will, of course, increase Terror.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
Since everyone else is linking to their accounts , Also here's to hoping everyone doesn't go horribly mad soon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A good restaurant is one of those tools to recover hunger and terror, right? Makes sense to be a sort of treasure in its own right.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There is an excellent way to reduce Terror (until it gets patched out)
(Spoiler for a path not taken)
If you help the cavies establish their kingdom then whenever you visit with SAY they'll throw you a banquet and entertainment that reduces Terror by 25. That's a lot, especially free.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Glazius posted:

A good restaurant is one of those tools to recover hunger and terror, right? Makes sense to be a sort of treasure in its own right.

Oh, you know. Sometimes. Depends how experimental the chef is feeling that day. It isn't always as relaxing as you might hope.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Journal entry eight – Northern exploration

The journal of Captain Petra Blackwood

December 30th, 1887 -

We set off today with much grumbling from the crew. They wanted to stay and celebrate the new year ashore; if I permitted though, however, I might have to wait for a week for them to be sober enough to depart, and that would be very undesirable.

I stopped by Hunter's Keep on our way out. I had yet to grace Phobe's table with my presence, and so today took lunch with her. She is a more gifted storyteller than her sisters, I feel. I lost myself in what she had to say. I hope to take lunch with her again sometime.

Something has changed, it seems. But Hunter's Keep never changes. Nothing good can come of this.

December 31st, 1887 –

We arrived in Venderbight this afternoon. The crew was not very appreciative of my offer to let them celebrate the New Year's here, which is rather too bad, since I might have enjoyed it. I put ashore to spend a little time among the colonists, and track down that restaurant I'd heard about on the I&M Funging station.

It was not quite what I was expecting. The chef came out and greeted me, and we sat and enjoyed a very... Unorthodox tea. He explained that while he enjoyed his work, and he loved his restaurant, he felt the Tomb-Colonies were culinarily stagnant – as they are in so many other ways – and sought a way to cook as he traveled the Neath. I offered him a position on my crew, of course – He was obviously skilled – but when he started explaining the equipment he would need to do his job, I told him I did not have the funds to provide, and he said he would wait.

He made sure to let me know that tomb-colonists were very good at being patient.

We don't have a cook, but this guy costs 300 echos to recruit. We're going to need that money more for other things. Better to wait.

After that, I spent some time in Venderbight, just enjoying the evening. There were New Year's celebrations going on, no matter what my crew said, and I enjoyed one quite greatly.

With that behind us, we put back out to zee, into the unknown north.

January 1st, 1888 -Morning

The trip north was not simple. After departing Venderbight, we passed Pickett's Bluff. Not long after we'd past that point, during one of my rounds, I noticed several of the crewmen sleeping fitfully. I chose to make no further mention of it; although I would love to know of what they dreamed, I am the captain, and must present certain appearances.

In my experience, this event is kind of a trap. Passing the Pages challenge causes you to GAIN terror – Sometimes up to 10! You also gain some fragments, but whatever, it's not nearly worth it.

Near the end of the third watch, Jones put out a warning cry. He'd spotted a Lifeburg. Just as the snow in the Neath isn't really snow, when you compress enough not-snow together it becomes not-ice. And get enough of this not-ice, and set it afloat, and you get a lifeburg. Just as capable of sinking ships as their surface counterparts, but with a much worse attitude.

I immediately ordered my zailors to cut the lights and run as silently as we could. We would try to sneak past it.

Fortunately, it did not see us. We passed under Censor's Arch and into Wither without difficulty.

Janurary 1st, 1888 - Afternoon

Wither is infuriating.

Living this far north, they must know so many interesting things! But no-one, no-one in this town will answer a simple question! It is always more questions, and more, and more, like makeup on a vain old woman who's only just realized she's old.

I can't even purchase the Mutersalt I need! Certainly, they sell it, but not for echos, no. They want stories. Many stories. More than I know. We'll just have to carry on and get the Devil bone dice.

Frustrated with that, I spent a little time walking the salt-fields. It is cold up here, yes. Very cold indeed. But I enjoyed the time alone. It was an enlightening experience, in a way.

I think that is all I will be able to take from this place. It's time to move on.

I realize I didn't get a shot of the main city card. The only thing we didn't do was shore leave. We need our echos, thank you!

Janurary 1st, 1888 – Evening

It turns on 'Moving on' didn't mean going very far. Scarcely more than the distance of Censor's Arch, we came across Codex. A place for those who answer too many questions, I've heard. But they were no more useful than those from Wither; Other than a few old men on the docks selling supplies, nobody on this island will speak to me. Oh, they'll attempt to communicate through some sort of interpretive dance, but that's not an optimal method of conveying information.

But at least they're trying. From here, we go east.

January 1st, 1888 – Night

Things do not go easy in the North. Shortly after leaving Codex, we spotted a pirate ship. They were riding in a cruiser of Infernal design. It was not a fight I wanted to have. I ordered my men to kill the lights.

But it was too late. They spotted us. We were in a bad position to be starting this fight; with few other choices, I ordered the engine crew to run dangerously hot and get us out as fast as we could go.

FULL POWER lets you go fast. Like, REALLY fast. You consume a large chunk of fuel to initiate it, and then you book it faster than basically anything can chase you. Downside – Your engine temp spikes, and doesn't really lower unless you stop. The longer you run at higher temperatures, the higher the odds of having a small explosion.

They were apparently unwilling to run a similar risk, and let us go. As soon as we'd gotten a good distance away, I paused and let our engine cool down; we then continued around the island and docked at Mt. Palmerson.

January 2nd, 1888 -

Mt. Palmerson is an unpleasant place; Hot and sulfurous, the whole place reeks of brimstone. I'm certain the devils who live here feel just at home. There's a collection of humans living here as well, clustered mostly around a dock near the zee.

I spent some time speaking to those who live near the port, collecting information about what happens here, and then journeyed into the hinterlands to poke around a short time. While exploring a village that was half-buried under ash, I discovered a colony of blemmigans. I managed to get close without being seen, and observed them for a little while. Such curious creatures.

I had time to do all this because my crew was busy loading our ship with a stock of coal and devil bone dice.

With our supplies still high, I've chosen to not yet return to London. We're quite a ways out, and exploring a bit farther would do us well. We continue East.

January 3rd, 1888 -

We've arrived at Frostfound.

An icy castle of almost unimaginable size, Frostfound has to be seen to be believed. It's beautiful and overwhelming all at once. There's a small port with a surprisingly large permanent population here, of very unusual people.

Unusual, but not unwelcoming. There's an attitude of jovial competition, somehow, despite the freezing temperatures, and I must say I enjoyed my time taking tea with them – even if the Withern people are still frustrating, even this far from home. Still, a small welcome can go a long way.

While at dinner, I met a man who said he was a ship mechanic. I got to talking, and he eventually offered to come aboard my ship for a remarkably small fee. He said having more work to do would do him good. We spoke at length, long after the Withern and Irene people had fallen into questions and riddles, and he told me he had some sort of problem sleeping. He said if I was so inclined, I could assist him. Normally, I would not be interested, but any cure that involves such things as he needs is worth observing!

I spoke with this man quickly, while I've kind of ignored the others, for very good reason. You need to do his side-quest, at least once, or something bad can happen. Plus, it's a fair profit!

With a new officer aboard and my new friends waving goodbye, I decided to head north, and see the rest of Frostfound up close to admire it's beauty.

Frostfound, unlike many places, is actually broken up into something like six 'locations'. You get fragments for discovering each of them. Making a circuit around Frostfound earns you more than one full secret.

Things did not go well. As we passed under the castle's massive bridge, we started to encounter heavy blusters of snow from the north. And even worse, a Lifeburg was spotted. I ordered our light turned off, and for us to hug Frostfound as we attempted to turn around.

Unfortunately, even with our light off, the Lifeburg noticed us. And even worse, the snowstorm started hampering our engine, slowing our possible escape.

You'll notice, on our speed gauge, the '2' is blacked out. While in heavy snow, you're limited to half speed.

Fortunately, while Lifeburgs are enormous and dangerous, they are not particularly fast. Even wit the snow against us, we soon outpaced it, and continued east.

January 5th, 1888 - Morning

We continued east, after skirting the snowstorm. In the early morning, our lookout reported two landmasses coming into view at the same time, one to our north, one to our east.

Once I took to the deck and looked at what had been seen, however, it was clear – the mass to the north was moving.

We'd found Mt. Nomad.

Once more, I ordered the ship into silent running, and hoped the other island we'd seen had a safe harbor. I swear, the entire crew barely dared to breath as we passed.

Fortunately, the massive mountain did not care about our tiny ship. We continued and docked unchallenged.

Mt. Nomad will one-shot us. While it has the same AI as other Lifeburgs, and could be defeated without damage with similar tactics, you have no leeway for error unless you have an upgraded ship. Also, it has 1,000 HP. We don't want to mess with that.

January 5th, 1888 – Noon

A strange church, in the middle of nowhere. It also has a surprising number of visitors, given its remote location. But maybe there is a good reason; the Smiling Priest is a warm and inviting character, unlike most clergymen I know in London. He welcomed me and my crew in for a feast. Many among my crew seemed skeptical, but the smells coming from the kitchen convinced me, at least. I offered them to return to another meal of dried fish and fungus-cakes, and to my surprise, quite a few did. It's a tragedy for them – The meal was rich and delicious. I've never had anything like it before. I am satisfied in a way I have never known.

I will have to return here again someday. Soon.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
The option for entering the ice castle mentioned you shouldn't do it without good reason; Is that something that's related to a quest we can pick up at any point?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I have the terrible feeling the captain's a cannibal now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The tomb-colonist violinists were playing Pop goes the Weasel? Are they out of their minds!?

Hopefully your comatose ferret is considered different enough to be safe from that musical scourge, OP.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So in picked this game up finally and I love it. Question though, I found Mt. Nomad trapped between to icebergs and actually killed it inconvenienced it a bit, but I did get the gold heart thing. What am I supposed to do with that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Feinne posted:

I have the terrible feeling the captain's a cannibal now.

That's precisely what Unaccountably Peckish indicates.

Also, you absolutely can NOT defeat Mount Nomad right now, regardless of how well you kite. It has a psychic scream attack that does 30 damage a shot and is unavoidable, and it will use it if it gets a glance at you, which it will since the recent updates that make Lifebergs better at turning. It will eat you alive if you attempt to attack it in a tramp steamer.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So in picked this game up finally and I love it. Question though, I found Mt. Nomad trapped between to icebergs and actually killed it inconvenienced it a bit, but I did get the gold heart thing. What am I supposed to do with that?
It's used in a number of end-game quests and trades. If you'd like to check it out go to the sunless sea wiki and punch in the item name.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
Shakily written diary of Helios:

So many things. The genial magician is odd. The hook is really sharp. The shark tasted funny. But i like the sigil-ridden navigator. He sympathizes with me. He know what its like to carry such a burden. I think he knows what it is. One time he even said if i ever wanted to talk to him i could. "Us guys gotta stick together" But its not the same. He has the Correspondence and I have something is scribbled out. The rat was worried too, tried to get me laudanum but it didn't help.

The salt lions were nice. Jones got mad when I licked the Lions. It was funny, until the captain jumped into the water. I was so scared, even if she was born underneath the roof, she is still nice to me. We went back to London. I think name is scribbled out was mad. I think he expected us to be gone longer. I didn't want to bother him so I went to hang out with the other guys. Jones was even nice to me. He wondered why I looked so tipsy. I couldn't tell him, might tell Doc though, I told the Sigil man though. He just smiled and told me a story about the sigil.

We celebrated New Years in Venderbight. I did anyway. Captain Petra seemed dissapointed we weren't happy. But i was! It was hard to smile though, so I scribbled a Sun and "Happy New Year" on a note and slid it under her door when we all disembarked at the Chapel of Lights. Oh but before that we went to Wither and Codex. Sigil seemed uncomfortable there. I found him in my room nibbling on paper. At Mt. Palmerson, the captain examined the Blemmigan's again. She was so transfixed she didn't notice I was there. I think the crew is starting to get unnerved by her. And we were all unnerved by Mt. Nomad. I tried to remember how the mountain looked, so I could add it later at London. It was going to hurt, I wish it didn't.

I ate at Chapel of Lights. Some of the crew didn't want to. The captain seemed off after eating. They always do. Then they go North. Its always North. It doesn't matter to me. I cant get peckish, I have already Eaten enough. I even ate my paper was torn out

Heliosmajestus fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 4, 2015

• Locked thread