Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

KettleWL posted:

Anything else that might be cheap and fun to try? I'm thinking chicken livers might be next, I've only ever had them deep-fried, and that feels like cheating.

Chitterlings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Jakcson posted:

Chitterlings.

I should have included this originally as well, but I don't eat pork. But intestines is definitely up there in the interesting department.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rhymenoserous posted:

I challenge this statement, they are gross as gently caress.

It was badly worded. Raw gizzards are cheap and gross, and after being carefully cooked, they become delicious!

Just look at these tiny tasty and tender motherfuckers:

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

KettleWL posted:

I'm not sure if I'll mess with it again any time soon, but it was definitely a fun experience. Anything else that might be cheap and fun to try? I'm thinking chicken livers might be next, I've only ever had them deep-fried, and that feels like cheating.

If you still want to keep with muscle tissue, chicken hearts are pretty delicious. Rinse them and trim off any excess arteries (which are chewy), skewer them, season with some soy sauce or whatever else is savory, and then grill them over high heat for a few minutes.

So, what exactly does one do with a pig uterus? I always stare at them and wonder when I'm at the Asian market.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KettleWL posted:

I'm thinking chicken livers might be next, I've only ever had them deep-fried, and that feels like cheating.

Chicken livers on toast. You must.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2012/06/the-ap%C3%A9ritif-hour-chopped-chicken-livers-on-toast.html

At the holidays I make sure to get a bag of them to make this while I'm cooking. Everyone is grossed out except my 80 year old aunt who eats liver every day.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Jackfruit. Hmm.

quote:

When fully ripe, the unopened jackfruit emits a strong disagreeable odor, resembling that of decayed onions, while the pulp of the opened fruit smells of pineapple and banana.
https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jackfruit_ars.html

HMMMM.

At least it's not Durian.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Chicken livers on toast. You must.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2012/06/the-ap%C3%A9ritif-hour-chopped-chicken-livers-on-toast.html

At the holidays I make sure to get a bag of them to make this while I'm cooking. Everyone is grossed out except my 80 year old aunt who eats liver every day.

Looks awesome, I'm on board. However, I don't have any ruby port. Is there a decent substitute or should I go with the AOC liver crostini recipe that they say is very good as well? Have you tried both?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Laminator posted:

I'm officially declaring that jackfruit will be this year's hot "exotic" item. It's already popping up at Whole Foods in little slices.

I've been meaning to try it for a bit because I have a couple of big stinky hippies in my family who don't eat meat and it's supposed to be a really good sub for veggie pulled 'pork'.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

KettleWL posted:

Looks awesome, I'm on board. However, I don't have any ruby port. Is there a decent substitute

Usually you can also deglaze livers with wine or sweet vinegar (like balsamic or fruit vinegar).

Personally I enjoy chicken livers quickly grilled or as a substitute to veal for a fegato alla veneziana.

The trick is not to have them becoming too dry.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Laminator posted:

So, what exactly does one do with a pig uterus? I always stare at them and wonder when I'm at the Asian market.

I've had it stir fried as well as braised and crisped in tacos

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Laminator posted:

I'm officially declaring that jackfruit will be this year's hot "exotic" item. It's already popping up at Whole Foods in little slices.

My local mega-grocer has 2 of them in the produce section. They're like baby sized it's incredible. $2/lb but I don't know what I would do with a jackfruit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

My local mega-grocer has 2 of them in the produce section. They're like baby sized it's incredible. $2/lb but I don't know what I would do with a jackfruit.

Apparently it's a substitute for pulled pork.
BBQ pulled Jackfruit Sandwich

Some type of curry, as well.
http://offbeathome.com/2012/01/how-to-cook-jack-fruit

And maybe even a custard dessert.
http://happyandraw.com/jackfruit-custard/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

People here in Asia seem to usually buy slices of jackfruit too, because what are you gonna do with a whole one? Some of them are almost as big as a small-medium sized dog.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Drifter posted:

Apparently it's a substitute for pulled pork.
BBQ pulled Jackfruit Sandwich

:aaa:

And here I was; worried about my resolve to become vegan this year weakening, when the annual Rib-Fest arrives in August...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

People here in Asia seem to usually buy slices of jackfruit too, because what are you gonna do with a whole one? Some of them are almost as big as a small-medium sized dog.

Well, I mean, since it's Asia, would that really be a deterrent, though?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Akbar posted:

I think I read something where a Chicago fishmonger delivered a bunch to various top chefs around town and challenged them to do something with it. I remember the conclusion being that the Asian Carp is just a really lovely fish to butcher, cook, and eat.

E: found it http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/asian-carp-cooking-chicago-chefs/Content?oid=1571974

E2: lol http://michiganradio.org/post/michigan-chefs-experiment-asian-carp

Well if it's loaded with bone then just advertise it as the perfect fish for bone broth. Hit the end of the fad that jacked up oxtail prices and get rid of that loving carp in one shot.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
White mushroom broth is super tasty and served at many high end restaurants. White mushrooms aren't going anywhere in terms of prices.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

Well if it's loaded with bone then just advertise it as the perfect fish for bone broth. Hit the end of the fad that jacked up oxtail prices and get rid of that loving carp in one shot.

quote:

Foss toyed with the idea offering his customers a relatively simple Asian carp sandwich at around $6 to $8. But given the specifications he asked Galvan for—100 percent boneless, skinless pieces—the cost shot up dramatically. Galvan wouldn't quote a price per pound but explained, "Look at it this way. You're losing 95 percent of the fish. For an 11-pound fish we got .6 pounds of meat. But that's the specific spec that Phillip wanted. It doesn't have to be the industry norm."

Christ, that's a lot of waste.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Couldn't you just grind it up to make a fishball? The bone would add some calcium.

Or get them while they are super young, like anchovies, and just eat them whole, bones-and-all.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Party Plane Jones posted:

Exactly. The waste is bone and skin and whatever meat is stuck between the bone in such a way as to make it nonviable for fillets. Fine. Gut, skin, and then simmer that mess of bone and meat until it is fishy jelly and the perfect addition to gumbo or ettoufe' or whatever. Don't market it as the next talapia, market it as the next protein feed for omega 3 enhanced chickens.

gently caress the efficient killing machine that is the barracuda disguised as 'asian' carp.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

They're one of the single most destructive invasive aquatic species besides the zebra mussel. gently caress 'em. If it takes a fish per sandwich, so be it.

Play up a boneless, skinless filet as a delicacy more rare than filet mignon (or something).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

They're one of the single most destructive invasive aquatic species besides the zebra mussel. gently caress 'em. If it takes a fish per sandwich, so be it.

Play up a boneless, skinless filet as a delicacy more rare than filet mignon (or something).

I don't see people going through the trouble at 5/10% yield a fish; that's a helluva lot of work.

CannonFodder posted:

Don't market it as the next talapia, market it as the next protein feed for omega 3 enhanced chickens.

gently caress the efficient killing machine that is the barracuda disguised as 'asian' carp.

I do see it just being ground into fishmeal since you basically don't have to process it much. Which apparently people are doing already:

http://wgntv.com/2014/10/14/asian-carp-in-demand/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Awesome.

Out of curiosity, are there any plants besides the truffle and those goofy Japanese watermelons that are highly sought after and rare?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Saffron? I saw cherries in the supermarket here for almost $40 per pound once. Also I think truffles aren't a plant.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Let me rephrase: "not an animal product".

And isn't saffron a spice?

I guess truffles are too, now that I think about it...

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Google tells me that Hop Shoots are the most expensive vegetable in the world and sell for a price comparable to truffle or saffron.

There's also a culture of outrageously expensive and desirable fruit in Japan that extends beyond square watermelons - surprisingly informative buzzfeed article

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
What about Wasabi?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Saffron, vanilla, rare coffees and teas, pine nuts, argan oil, gum mastic

In terms of stuff you usually think of as veg: matsutake, chanterelle, king bolete, morels, hedgehog shrooms, pretty much any harder to find foraged poo poo that can't be cultivated, ramps...

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

shankerz posted:

Red Lumpfish Caviar

Lumpfish caviar is an excellent alternative to pricier Caspian Sea varieties. This specialty caviar is a perfect addition to a gourmet meal; used as a substitute in recipes calling for the more traditional roes. It also makes a beautiful garnish, especially alongside sushi. Originally from Iceland, ours is from neighboring Sweden.

Only 8.99 for this massive jar!!!! It's cheap and means your rich and famous If you eat it.

I got it in greenland for 50 dkk (approx. 12 dollars) a couple of years ago. That price was for a kilogram. But the seller cheated me. Weighed it at home and it was actually 1.2 kilos.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Ginseng too

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I just acquired a pigs head for less than $2 a LB. :getin:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

kittenmittons posted:

I just acquired a pigs head for less than $2 a LB. :getin:

Head cheese sounds mighty good right now, and a cheap delicacy in its own right. Until some posh rear end in a top hat makes up a name for it that doesn't make most people gag, anyways.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 15, 2015

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
I tried to sell this girl I'm seeing on chicken hearts but she gave me the "Are you serious" look. How can I convince her chicken hearts are the future of cheap but delicious eatings?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MikeyLikesIt posted:

I tried to sell this girl I'm seeing on chicken hearts but she gave me the "Are you serious" look. How can I convince her chicken hearts are the future of cheap but delicious eatings?

I LOVE slicing them mediumly and psuedo-sauteing them. Last time I did this with hearts and livers, together, though.

Cooking on medium (or medium-low), I'd add a little olive oil to a stainless steel pan and bloom some ginger paste (I add a little olive oil before I freeze it) and your choice of paprika, other spicy spice or chili pepper flakes, and after a minute put the slices in. I'd be sure to spoon the spiced oil over it all while it was cooking (and gently sizzling) and after two or three minutes (however long it takes for the meat to nicely brown and get to not quite their eventual temperature) I'd turn off the heat and add a crushed and diced garlic clove and stir that around as it cooled. edit: oops, I forgot that I also stirred in half of a finely sliced (freshly frozen, not dried, if that matters) habenero chili the same time as the garlic.

Goddamn, that's some good poo poo.

You could lay that on some bread (or just eat it still warm from the pan) and go to town.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 15, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Republicans posted:

Head cheese sounds mighty good right now, and a cheap delicacy in its own right. Until some posh rear end in a top hat makes up a name for it that doesn't make most people gag, anyways.

Just say it in french Fromage de tete de porc. Or just tete fromagee

Also chicken heart yakotori is loving phenomenal.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 15, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I normally use chicken hearts for anticuchos. Pretty good just fried up with livers and gizzards and what not, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just marinated some chicken hearts overnight in a Ziploc bag with thin-sliced onions, in a spicy, vinegary, North Carolina-style (thin) barbecue sauce that a co-worker gave me, then sauteed them in a pan with a little olive oil and served them over rice. Delicious. I don't mind the chewiness at all, and they have a rich, meaty flavor, like chicken thighs (which I greatly prefer to white meat anyway). And they're SO CHEAP!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Thoht posted:

Saffron, vanilla, rare coffees and teas, pine nuts, argan oil, gum mastic

In terms of stuff you usually think of as veg: matsutake, chanterelle, king bolete, morels, hedgehog shrooms, pretty much any harder to find foraged poo poo that can't be cultivated, ramps...

Is that certain types of pine nuts or something?? I see them around every now and then if I head towards places with a middle eastern influence

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I guess I meant it more like expensive/hard to produce instead of hard to find shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Republicans posted:

Cheeky Meats™
Lip Smacks/Smackers™ (when heated and the gelatine melts)

Best I got. :shrug:

• Locked thread